Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Earth humans have been around for over 200 thousand years and the changes to lighter skin occurring with northern populations over 100k years ago.
IIRC the European transition towards lighter skintones happened between 40-15k years ago, and pretty fast, by evolutionary standards.

And in a universe that is 1) creationist, thus evolution doesnt matter that much even though it exists 2) folks change skin colors all the time when exposed to literally any kind of magic, I wouldnt be that shocked if we found other than white humans in a region that can be argued sits in the same latitude as Europe, Kul Tiras being to Lordaeron what Spain is to France, geographically. Only bigger, by Azeroth proportions.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM

Loremaster

Frankly I'd be surprised to see any correlation between certain humans' skin color on Azeroth and their modern-day region or even kingdom of origin.

If - and that's only if - there were a time when such a thing were attributable to their ethnic background, I'd see it being when they were split into the original tribes. Perhaps in the way the more clannish titanforged-descended races are distinguishable by skin color, the early human tribes could have been similarly identifiable.

Then the unification as Arathor could have kinda "melting-potted" the tribes as they initially settled in and around Strom before striking out to form the other city-states, leading to cultural separations between them eroding over time, so by the time they started spreading out to claim more territories, every group of settlers was a broad mix of many tribes. That could be why we ended up with humans of every color living in what would become all seven human kingdoms without any geographical or national attributions made to different ethnic traits.

Remember, humans on Azeroth are ultimately descended from living statues. Their base skin color could have nothing to do with their own environment and simply be a genetic inheritance from their particular ancestor batches of vrykul being mined and built with differing ratios of different minerals in their construction. These particular humans are a product of stone literally turning into flesh; with such precedent it's far from impossible to imagine that mineral compositions in certain runs of titanforged could translate into genetically passed-on traits among their flesh-cursed offspring. Rather than varied pigmentation being derived from evolution as we know it, one Azerothian human being darker than another could amount to his particular titanforged ancestors having had more basalt and less gypum in their physical composition.

Hell, it could be that the Dark Iron dwarves look darker than other dwarves and preferred the lowest depths of Ironforge when living there because their particular earthen precursors' raw materials included darker stone mined from deeper in the earth. They might literally have Dark Iron in their genes. And it certainly seemed to me like the mogu clans' stark differences in color between clans was supposed to represent each clan being comprised of a different metal or stone.

In fact it could even explain why we've got more widely varied dwarves, humans, mogu and vrykul, while the gnomes are all the same basic color. Since they're more akin to outright robots than the other titanforged, the mechagnomes were likely assembled with standardized parts made from refined, processed and machined materials rather than carved and shaped from raw cross-sections of mixed stone dug straight out of the earth.

Last edited by ARM3481; Yesterday at 01:57 AM..
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

To continue on the rant of the last post last night... made by me... I wish the burning legion (especially lead by a guy with the Deceiver as his title) should really be more subtle and more well... betraying trust and stuff, instead of something else. If guldan knew about Garrosh being from another timeline why didnt he just suggest for the legion to do the same thing that Wrathion tried to do by corrupting say a bronze dragon to go back in time and make loads of Hordes drink the fel and go to the same azeroth? Especially given that BL is linked to infinite universes and timelines OR welll I assume timelines in this case.

I would also like to see an expansion that focuses on the current world, not a Cata revamp but just something that uses phasing alot, and might alter zones abit and make old places into raid zones (lets say gnomeregan) and then that stuff affects, Make it about a cult or something, maybe some OG cult that isnt twilights hammer (given there are multiple demon cults, there should be some cults other than the Twilight hammer as well, alternatively an offpsring cult that is associated with the twilight hammer but felt it was too noisy and wanted to try a more subtle path).

Cults could do great stuff (and probably quite interesting), a void cult trying to use the scourge, or a dreadlord-lead group that tries to manipulate x faction of thieves or whatever to go against other beings or just random mortals wanting more power.
Btag is Hulk#23939

Last edited by Gurzog; Yesterday at 09:25 AM..
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I know this is incredibly reaching, but it is kind of interesting that this Pirate's Day they updated it to have a new Bloodsail Buccaneer themed area on the Wild Shore...
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

hope 7.3.5 ptr today
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I know this is incredibly reaching, but it is kind of interesting that this Pirate's Day they updated it to have a new Bloodsail Buccaneer themed area on the Wild Shore...
I don't think it's that much of a reach actually. It does fit into the nebulous "big picture" we've been building.

Sort of.
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Loremaster

It's not necessarily strange; Legion has somewhat transitioned the Bloodsails into semi-"good guy" pirates under Tethys. They even seem to be marginally getting along with the Blackwater Raiders, with Revilgaz letting them anchor at Booty Bay (albeit for some exorbitant fee, but then he is still a goblin after all.)
Old Today, 05:09 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Panda

It has come to my attention that some classes get up to FOUR class mount variations instead of just the one, most of which are dirt-easy to get. Meanwhile, Warriors get... one. As for some other classes; this really feels imbalanced. But seeing how Warriors rarely get cool shit like that it's a little heartbreaking to see Paladins (who already get two class mounts by default, plus the Argent Tournament steed) get four. That ain't fair. At least they're accountwide.

Speaking of which, i'm at 227 / 250 mounts and realized there's an isoton of boars and stuff in WoD i don't have. Which means... grinding mobs. WoD mobs.

Send hugs.
Old Today, 06:52 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
It has come to my attention that some classes get up to FOUR class mount variations instead of just the one, most of which are dirt-easy to get. Meanwhile, Warriors get... one. As for some other classes; this really feels imbalanced. But seeing how Warriors rarely get cool shit like that it's a little heartbreaking to see Paladins (who already get two class mounts by default, plus the Argent Tournament steed) get four. That ain't fair. At least they're accountwide.
The warrior class mount changes tint depending on your specialization. But it does count as only 1 mount, yes.
Old Today, 08:37 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Here's something really weird I just noticed in WoW modelviewer.

Remember how in an interview they said the lightforged draenei's new hair, horn, and facial hair styles were never intended to be added to playable draenei? Well apparently they really meant it, the lightforged dreanei are entirely separate models from player draenei in the files; you can't use player draenei haistyles etc on Lightforged draenei models or their hairstyles on player draenei models.
Old Today, 08:41 AM

Elune

Quote:

Remember how in an interview they said the lightforged draenei's new hair, horn, and facial hair styles were never intended to be added to playable draenei? Well apparently they really meant it, the lightforged dreanei are entirely separate models from player draenei in the files; you can't use player draenei haistyles etc on Lightforged draenei models or their hairstyles on player draenei models.
That's really funny in a sad way.
Old Today, 08:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

That means nothing, really.
I remember someone else also pointing that out, but I also remember when SoO raid came out in PTR, and the new Garrosh model was found, how people began pointing out that he was a preview of the new orc models.

Someone asked Blizzard (Ghostcrawler? Celestalon?) via Twitter if Garrosh was an test of the new player models. Since WoD was not announced yet, I remember the answer was something cryptic like "You'd like that?" or "Do you think it looks good?". They never admited the new models until the Blizzcon WoD reveal.

IMO, these new Lightforged models are just like Garrosh's model: a separate file in which they are testing possibilities and gauging player reaction. This does not mean those options will be exactly what will be added in the standard Draenei model, but I'm pretty sure they'd not go the extra mile of creating new beards, horns and hairsyles without planning to later port it to standard Draenei. If they wanted to be conservative, they'd just add new skins, like they did with Man'ari Eredar NPCs, or at most reserve the new styles for named character (like they did with Yrel's horns).

I'd bet that Lightforged models are 8.0 draenei models, just stripped of some options and with exclusive skins.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old Today, 08:47 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
That means nothing, really.
I remember someone else also pointing that out, but I also remember when SoO raid came out in PTR, and the new Garrosh model was found, how people began pointing out that he was a preview of the new orc models.

Someone asked Blizzard (Ghostcrawler? Celestalon?) via Twitter if Garrosh was an test of the new player models. Since WoD was not announced yet, I remember the answer was something cryptic like "You'd like that?" or "Do you think it looks good?". They never admited the new models until the Blizzcon WoD reveal.
Their answer in the interview was a lot more definitive than the Garrosh comments, though. Here's Ion's exact quote:

For now just the NPC models. I can’t say what the future holds, but yeah, we were just trying to build out a very different ecology of draenei. These are the Army of the Light (Lightforged), and they have been in the direct service of the Naaru, fighting the Legion, fighting these battles across worlds, so we wanted to make them very visually distinct; and as we were throwing out a full cast of NPC characters, we wanted a lot more customization to help distinguish them from each other.

Now, in terms of player customization, we know that is something that there is always demand for; and for sure, that is the sort of thing that we would want to revisit in the future, and just open up customization options wherever possible.
Old Today, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I think I mentioned that a couple of times. ^^;

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old Today, 09:02 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
I think I mentioned that a couple of times. ^^;
I remember you posting screenshots of all the lightforged customization options, though I think I misunderstood them as I never realized that meant they were separately models. Sorry about that.
Old Today, 10:12 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

I'd just focus on the 'for now' part of Ion's answer. I honestly expect more race customization next expac over new races.
Old Today, 11:00 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Their answer in the interview was a lot more definitive than the Garrosh comments, though.
Well, Garrosh comments were done in Twitter, so even the medium required a short answer.

I'd need to see his expressions when he answers it, but from texto alone, I'll bold some of the words:

"For now just the NPC models. I can’t say what the future holds, but yeah, we were just trying to build out a very different ecology of draenei."

Damn, November can't come soon enough...

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion