Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post

It may be that the plan to corrupt the World Soul comes from just a few Void Lords. Maybe not all of them are interested into manifesting in the world. Maybe others try to destroy the material world in other ways. Maybe one of them even could be trying to do the opposite of its brethren and become a material being, rather than manifest to devour reality!

I like the idea of a void lord just showing up, taking some form he likes, just to see what all the fuss is about. An all powerful bystander. He's not here to play sides, just to tag along and be entertained by us. We can't do anything about it, he's completely untouchable and all powerful, so we abide him, and try not to piss him off too much. Maybe glean some info from him here and there but for the most part he's too entertained to watch us struggle with questions and fight against the odds.
While unique among void lords, his existence, presence, and personality would provide characterization for the other void lords indirectly by demonstrating that the Void Lords are more than just scarier old gods, as well as helping us grasp their infinite power without having to actually come into direct conflict with one of them. Maybe the one thing he does tell us is that the old gods on Azeroth all came from one Void Lord, one with particular plans/methods/desires.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
I like the idea of a void lord just showing up, taking some form he likes, just to see what all the fuss is about. An all powerful bystander. He's not here to play sides, just to tag along and be entertained by us.
It could only be Silas Darkmoon.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanoid View Post
Seems legit.
Can you tell I ran out of attention span?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:07 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
by demonstrating that the Void Lords are more than just scarier old gods,
I kind of see the Old Gods as tools. Even if they have different personalities to a degree, they're built with a common purpose and function in mind that would direct them similarly. I'd imagine Void Lords to be free of such constraints. Not necessarily so focused on the function of world corruption. I don't really want to directly chat them up in person all the time, but I'd love some neat altars, temples, idols, and murals dedicated to them. Maybe some creation mythos from their perspective.

But back on topic. What I'd like to see is beings who aren't actively malicious, and perhaps are even quite willing to converse, but are still quite dangerous. Beings full of passions and obsessions who don't really care what happens to those who get in the way. One of them jams itself into the timestream and shit just starts to shift at random. Both good and bad, because the Lord just wants to see what would happen if something was changed up a bit. What if Arthas never started down his dark path? What if Medivh never opened the Dark Portal? What if Thrall never established a new Horde?

And if the players introduce a new factor into it? The Void Lord doesn't give a shit, but just sees it as an interesting new source of divergence to monitor and briefly comment on if you prove worth its attention. And that attention should be like a show of respect, a god-like being taking note of your existence as not entirely irrelevant to its interests.

Insight into their personality would show through their specific followers, mythology, actions, and whatever the deign to personally say for themselves. I'd personally like them to remain largely distant, more like Elune than an immediate tangible presence.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 AM

Druid of the Claw

Avatar by Baldi Konijn. Previous avatars: 1, 2
Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Expanding on my "fake leak". If you mind this being here, just yell.

A new kind of enemy is introduced, the Deathspawn. Technically undead, they are at first thought to be some new Scourge variant but Bolvar and the death knights swear to have nothing to do with them. Deathspawn are found out to come from the people dying of "the Malaise". As life drains from the world, people just seemingly spontaneously grow weaker and die. After death, they rise as deathspawn - mutated abominations that only superficially resemble who they used to be.

Over the course of the expansion and the Paths, it is revealed that deathspawn are being directed by a heretofore unknown force, the Reapers - ancient spirits of death and decay dwelling in the Shadowlands. They claim to be merely psychopomps but now that the world is dying, it is their job to reap us all, and we don't want to let that happen (Path of Life) or want to control them (Path of Death).

On release, the campaign ends with us communing with a character called Mallakith, titled <Death of Azeroth>. Threatened that we will destroy them as we destroy all our enemies, Mallakith only replies that "they [the Repaers] are Death itself, they will exist as long as there is life", and disappears.

Emerald Dream apparently disappeared, along with everyone in it, the moment Azeroth died. This lead the druids to either search for it in hopes it survived somewhere (Life) or embrace death and decay to avenge it (Death). As the expansion goes into 8.2 and we go to fight N'Zoth in Nyalotha, because he was controlling Kith'ix and the Aqir, we keep thinking the Old Gods are tied to the planet's death. In the patch, we find out the Old Gods, as evil as they are, did not want Azeroth to die. They wanted to corrupt it and make it theirs. So, in order to help with that... N'Zoth has saved the Emerald Dream and moved it into the Shadowlands so it doesn't disperse when the planet dies.

Turns out, the last glimmer of Life energies dwells in the Emerald Dream and that last glimmer is our last hope to save all life on Azeroth from dying out. So because we share a common goal... we end up allying with the Old Gods. Now that N'Zoth is too weak to bring the Emerald Dream back where it belongs, we are sent across the world to bring back avatars of other Old Gods so they can together pull the Dream back. We get Cho'gall's body from Bastion of Twilight and bring it to Ahn'Qiraj so that C'Thun can inhabit it fully (with only one head, the crazy one, remaining). We find a new vrykul shieldmaiden for Yogg-Saron to inhabit as the new Sara. We even go back to Draenor and retrieve Garrosh's corpse, as within dwells the last piece of Y'Shaarj. Together, the Old Gods pull the Emerald Dream back. And here comes 8.4 and the final patch.

With the final patch, Mallakith returns to reap all life on Azeroth, as deathspawn emerge in force all over the world. Using the last vestiges of life from the restored Emerald Dream, we enact our desperate plan to revive the planet, but first we must destroy the last piece holding the link hostage - Mallakith. Before he's defeated, he reveals he is merely a pawn, and apologizes to "Death of the Universe" for failing, but his boss, seeing the world-soul of Azeroth restored - although back to the very conception - says that our time has not yet come and we earned our right to live. For now.

And now the Old Gods, even Y'Shaarj, are free and our tenuous truce no longer holds.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:27 AM

Druid of the Claw

Not really related to anything, but does anyone happen to know where I can find the full version of the music piece that plays at 1:03 in the extended Legion preview from last year?

I remember looking for it and even seem to recall finding it in one of the expansion's more obscure music pieces, but I can't remember which one and I don't feel like sitting through the entire Legion soundtrack just to find this one part.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Something kind of weird that's being discussed on Reddit.

The Blizzcon store has this description for this murloc kigurumi:

"New" is an incredibly weird adjective to use for murlocs, since they're practically the mascots of WoW. Given the previous faux pas with their Sargeras shirt giving spoilers about the end of Legion, could "newly emerged Azerothain race" be a similar slip up implying murlocs are a newly emerged playable Azerothian race?

Normally I'd say no, but after the Sargeras thing who knows.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Wasn't the lore that they didn't appear until WC3?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Something like that, yes. It's hinted that something is driving them out from underwater and onto the surface.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post

"New" is an incredibly weird adjective to use for murlocs, since they're practically the mascots of WoW. Given the previous faux pas with their Sargeras shirt giving spoilers about the end of Legion, could "newly emerged Azerothain race" be a similar slip up implying murlocs are a newly emerged playable Azerothian race?

Possibly, but both the WC3 manual and the old article on murlocs from the original version of the official site do heavily emphasize that murlocs are actually a very ancient Azerothian race that has only recently (in terms of Azerothian history, at least) shown up outside of the ocean depths and made themselves known to other races. In other words, it's not really that weird since it's consistent with previous official murloc descriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Something like that, yes. It's hinted that something is driving them out from underwater and onto the surface.
Specifically, according to the aforementioned official article, the leading theories are that they've been forced onto land by the awakening and migration of the naga and/or because the murlocs might be kinda sorta Old God worshippers.

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; 10-12-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:

I dunno. The wording is suspicious and it would fit right into the South Seas expansion that everybody expects, but... do Murlocs of all races have the broad appeal to carry a Pandaren-style one-race-for-both-factions playable race? Because if this is about a new playable race - where's the counterpart?

... Can you imagine the rage if one faction (probably the Horde) gets Naga while the Alliance gets stuck with the most annoying mob-race ever? I think it's just unfortunate (or intentionally trolly) wording.
Did they have Kigudingsdas for other yet-to-anounced playable races before?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Again the movie has a weird place in canon, but wasn't a murloc present in the film in a freshwater river during the first war?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Again the movie has a weird place in canon, but wasn't a murloc present in the film in a freshwater river during the first war?
Yes, there was at least one murloc.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I dunno. The wording is suspicious and it would fit right into the South Seas expansion that everybody expects, but... do Murlocs of all races have the broad appeal to carry a Pandaren-style one-race-for-both-factions playable race? Because if this is about a new playable race - where's the counterpart?

... Can you imagine the rage if one faction (probably the Horde) gets Naga while the Alliance gets stuck with the most annoying mob-race ever? I think it's just unfortunate (or intentionally trolly) wording.
Honestly, I don't know if Murlocs have enough appeal to be a playable race. I mean, sure, they are kind of Blizzard's mascots and all, but... Who would want to actually play one?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
Honestly, I don't know if Murlocs have enough appeal to be a playable race. I mean, sure, they are kind of Blizzard's mascots and all, but... Who would want to actually play one?
I would, but I'm sure that, before long, I'd be driven off by the way armour looks on 'em.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:41 AM

Sha of Disappointment

I'd probably level one for completion, but... yeah... are they even SMART enough for a playable race? I mean, some of the offshoots, sure, but the base Murloc... i'd expect any playable Murloc race to be at least a little more advanced, and probably slightly taller to properly display their armor. Mostly because of the hunch.

hunch.
They'll be a Horde race, aren't they.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I wouldn't have given it much thought if not for the combination of the weird text with the Sargeras mistake from earlier.

Quote:

It certainly is out there, but if it were to be the case we could end up like a situation with goblins in Cata. Blizzard once said the reason goblins got so much exposure in Cata and were so heavily integrated into the Horde compared to worgen in the Alliance was because they were afraid goblins wouldn't be popular compared to worgen and Horde players would feel cheated, so they put much more effort into the goblins than they did the worgen to compensate.

I could see the same happening with murlocs if there's another race.

I don't recall them selling kigurumi period before, but then again I don't care much for clothing merchandise so I very well could have missed them in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Even then they've been around in-universe for close to two decades (which while "newly emerged" would fit in historic terms, stuff happens at such a a breakneck pace in Azeroth that it really doesn't fit).
Old 10-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Ranger

Blizzard has revealed their Blizzcon 2017 Floor Map. The newest edition this year seems to be a Sylvanas statue in front of the WoW demo stations.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
I'd probably level one for completion, but... yeah... are they even SMART enough for a playable race?
According to Brann in the official magazine, the (again) aforementioned article, and judging by the Winterfin, yes, they're about as intelligent as other humanoid races.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM

Elune

Quote:

Now that is really curious wording.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:37 AM

Arch-Druid

Why have playable murlocs when there's already the jinyu we could get?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 PM

Sentinel Queen

Even if they've only come onto the shores in the last few decades, they're neither newly-created nor new to the game. That is a really odd wording.

I for one would love a murloc shaman.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I for one would love a murloc shaman.
So... what WOULD make sense for a baseline Murloc?

Warrior: of course.
Death Knight: nope.
Paladin: not unless they pull a Sunwalker.
Hunter: for sure.
Shaman: i can see it.
Druid: i guess.
Rogue: yepp.
Edgelord Hunter: nope.
Monk: they seem a little frail for that.
Priest: not seeing the Light here.
Mage: pretty standard, really.
Warlock: i... don't see a Murloc summoning a Demon and not have the Demon die of laughter.

That'd give them.... 6-ish choices depending on what they're doing with their origin story... do we have enough for a speculation thread?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
Why have playable murlocs when there's already the jinyu we could get?
Exactly. I'd play a Jinyu. They could have straight spines, at least, that could show equipment well enough; have some interesting themes (the water mysticism); and, more importantly, have a culture and can speak as matter of course. While Lore might state otherwise, it's entirely possible for the average player to think the Murlocs are barely sentient. They (almost) never speak, their buildings are ramshackle hovels at their best, and they don't seem to grasp the concept of all but the most basic tools.

If Murlocs play Alliance, either as a "faction race" or as an "option" a la Pandaren, it becomes even more ridiculous, given that "developed civilization" seems to a theme in the Alliance in contrast to the more primitive Horde.

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion