Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 04-08-2016, 12:18 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The thing is, the movie likely starts with Draenor already a corrupted mess (retroactively, that's basically how WC1 started), which means even based on the game lore Ner'zhul is basically irrelevant to on-screen goings-on until the events of Beyond the Dark Portal or flashbacks to Rise of the Horde anyway.

Once he'd warned Durotan and Orgrimmar away from the blood, he basically did nothing until orcish survivors started fleeing back into Draenor at the end of the Second War.

As with the games themselves, it would probably be more practical to go into his story when he actually appears to do something. Otherwise, unless they cram the plot of Rise of the Horde into the movie, he's just "some orc who does nothing in the movie but send a note to Durotan with no context by which the audience should know why he would."
The book in question is a prequel to the movie, though.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:23 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
The book in question is a prequel to the movie, though.
Yeah, this. I get that he may not be present in the film (but i did recently see a picture of an orc with a skull mask, may have been him) but if he's not in the prequel novel then somethings amiss.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:32 AM

Banished

I'm telling you all, Ner'zhul won't really be a thing in the Movieverse since Metzen and Co. ditched him for Arthas and Gul'dan. And guess who counts for these:

A. Is one of (if not the only) the few actually iconic villains (Arthas).

B. Actually has a major role in both WoD AND Legion (Gul'dan).

Look at it from the standpoint of making a movie for a crowd who either doesn't follow Warcraft or jumped into it at WoW. I doubt the movie makers plan to dwell TOO much on the pre-WC3 era since it's not what really what's iconic about the franchise. So, I'm sure they'll do what the Marvel Movieverse makers do and trim, cut, or fuse stuff to smooth over the trip.

Last edited by Galdus; 04-08-2016 at 12:53 AM..
Old 04-08-2016, 01:04 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdus View Post
Look at it from the standpoint of making a movie for a crowd who either doesn't follow Warcraft or jumped into it at WoW. I doubt the movie makers plan to dwell TOO much on the pre-WC3 era since it's not what really what's iconic about the franchise. So, I'm sure they'll do what the Marvel Movieverse makers do and trim, cut, or fuse stuff to smooth over the trip.
And you are right. The WC3 era is them ost icnonic for Warcraft. "My life for Ner'zhul!" is well known, even if the specifics arn't as well known. The name will certainly be kept.

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdus View Post
I'm telling you all, Ner'zhul won't really be a thing in the Movieverse since Metzen and Co. ditched him for Arthas and Gul'dan. And guess who counts for these:

A. Is one of (if not the only) the few actually iconic villains (Arthas).

B. Actually has a major role in both WoD AND Legion (Gul'dan).

And I think this would be a franchise killing mistake to make. In the end comic book movies are mostly about watching superpowered people kicking ass, not the story. Absolute tripe can do well if its big and flashy enough because the themes are extremely easy to grasp and the characters are easy to identify with (namely because they're always all human...). Warcraft is not like this at all.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingGod View Post
And you are right. The WC3 era is them ost icnonic for Warcraft. "My life for Ner'zhul!" is well known, even if the specifics arn't as well known. The name will certainly be kept.
Aye. They are including relatively "minor" characters such as Alonsus Faol, yet they will not include Ner'zhul? That is a rather large leap at logic. Hell, we could even see a Shadowmoon banner in one of the scenes. The Shadowmoon Clan without Ner'zhul?

People are really paranoid sometimes. I remember reading how we would not get any orcish clans bar the Frostwolves even mentioned about a year ago. Same about the Seven Kingdoms. Guess how that turned out.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:42 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Aye. They are including relatively "minor" characters such as Alonsus Faol, yet they will not include Ner'zhul? That is a rather large leap at logic. Hell, we could even see a Shadowmoon banner in one of the scenes. The Shadowmoon Clan without Ner'zhul?

People are really paranoid sometimes. I remember reading how we would not get any orcish clans bar the Frostwolves even mentioned about a year ago. Same about the Seven Kingdoms. Guess how that turned out.
I'm definitely being paranoid but i don't think it's without reason. Cinema is littered with the corpses of franchises that executive meddling fucked up.

You don't get 2 shots at a 150 million film.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:16 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
I'm definitely being paranoid but i don't think it's without reason. Cinema is littered with the corpses of franchises that executive meddling fucked up.

You don't get 2 shots at a 150 million film.
Well, I somehow do not see how paranoia can be even reasonable. That is the very thing that separates it from healthy cautiousness or weariness. But those might simply be semantics, so point taken.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Warden

Quote:
I am going to regret responding to this, but....

"This is a different continuity" "WoD Frostwolves were not evil either" "Old Warcraft was never about good vs. evil".
frostwolves are good orcs
Old 04-08-2016, 09:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
Why would you dredge up a comment from 6 months ago, on the first page to respond with such a simplistic point?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
Did you know that shit is brown?

Tags
bitter nerds