Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you rate the Warcraft movie? (only people who watched it, please)
1/10 0 0%
2/10 0 0%
3/10 1 2.33%
4/10 6 13.95%
5/10 4 9.30%
6/10 6 13.95%
7/10 12 27.91%
8/10 10 23.26%
9/10 4 9.30%
10/10 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2016, 11:46 AM

Elune

Default Rate the Warcraft Movie

Just interested in what people think without having to go through all of the opinion pieces and then extrapolate just how much people like it.

So here is a simple poll for it, feel free to leave opinions to go along with your vote.

Please, indulge my strange need for data
Old 06-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Eternal

Critical rating, or simple emotional rating (as a fan)?

Would be either 5.5/10 or 7/10.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:59 AM

Eternal

A 5 would probably be the most fair for a fan and non fan. It's apparent that they gave an effort that shows they give a shit, but im certain that it is fair to say that all of the problems with the movie is with the story and characters.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Critical rating, or simple emotional rating (as a fan)?

Would be either 5.5/10 or 7/10.
Perhaps an aggregate of those two scores, formed by a complex and multifaceted formula?

Seriously though, choose whatever criteria you prefer.

~~~~~~

Anyway rating this as just another movie I'd give it 6/10 (pretty, lively, standard-2hr-holywood-blockbuster-time-sink quality) but going as a fan I have to dock two points so 4/10 was my vote. But now I think about it I may have been a bit too harsh, 5/10 is probably a better grade.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:17 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Anyway rating this as just another movie I'd give it 6/10 (pretty, lively, standard-2hr-holywood-blockbuster-time-sink quality) but going as a fan I have to dock two points so 4/10 was my vote. But now I think about it I may have been a bit too harsh, 5/10 is probably a better grade.
Interesting. I have it pretty much opposite. Those 5.5 might be even little generous (5/10 would probably be most fair), but as a fan, it is a solid 7 from me. I suppose it has to do with what one likes about Warcraft.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:22 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

From rotten tomatoes it's got a 21% rotten which is very low. It seems like it's an entirely humorless exercise in trying to hard and is apparently a over populated two hour slog with no conclusion. But that's just from critic reviews, regardless if it is in fact humourless they entirely missed the feel of Warcraft.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:19 AM

Eternal

7/10

Non-Spoiler Review:

There's no question that this movie is going to work better for warcraft fans rather than a non-warcraft fan. There's a lot of attention to detail in every frame of this movie that everyone here will pick up on, notably the different locations with set pieces that perfectly replicate the look and style of Warcraft. The music as well incorporates pieces that we are already familiar with. There's also many references that only warcraft fans are going to understand. As far as imitating the world we've played in, it does everything right. There were less lore differences than I expected there to be and you can feel the respect that everyone involved had for series. Travis Fimmel does a great job as Anduin Lothar and is very likable in the role. There are a lot of subtleties in his performance that really make him more personable. Dominic Cooper also does well as King Llane. The Orcs are kind of the stars of the movie though. I think that their CG was incredible. For me at least, Garona was the only one who didn't look real, and she was the only one that was!

There are a lot of problems with this movie, though. The biggest problem is that this film moves so fast that there is very little storytelling. If you watch the film with non-warcraft fans, you're going to end up having to do a lot of explaining because the film hardly even tries. There were several things that didn't even make sense to me. The dialogue is about as awful as it is in the game. And while I couldn't do enough justice praising the work done on the Orcs and the set designs, there were still a lot of effects that ruined immersion for me. Particularly any scenes involving magic looked cheap. The glowing arcane eyes and spells cast looked equivalent to what you'd expect to see in a Syfy Dungeons and Dragons film. The Dwarves felt really off, and the Elves honestly looked like generic cosplay. I really, really hated Khadgar at the beginning but he eventually grew on me. I never managed to like Medivh, however. The actor's performance is the least believable of the entire main cast. It didn't help that he's always involved in the immersion ruining magic effects that I mentioned a few sentences ago, and much of the non-explained parts of the story involve him, but regardless of that, he is the most disappointing character for me in the film.

Overall I went with a 7, but how experienced you are with the warcraft story in the first place is going to greatly affect how you feel about this movie. If I knew nothing about Warcraft, then my rating would have dropped to a 4 or 5. I think they'll make the budget back, but I don't have much confidence in a sequel at the moment.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Elune

Bump, should be some American viewers by now. And I know you guys love to vote.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:22 PM

Elune

Just gonna quote my post from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Movie wasn't nearly as bad as the critics pan it to be.

Objectively? I give it a 6/10. Entertaining and visually appealing. There was only one scene where I felt the CGI was a bit wonky. The part where the black dude gets his neck snapped. Movie definitely has rewatch value. I think the human footman armor was really bad, though. Really, really bad. Way too much plastic. FFS, Weta Workshop did LotR! I can only conclude that the plastic armor is a result of not enough money. Soldiers of Gondor and Rohan look awesome. Stormwind footmen look like cosplayers. Llane's wardrobe was very good, though.

As a fan of Warcraft? 7/10. Unlike some, I'm not losing my shit over every little change. I accept that the movie is its own thing. I can enjoy it for what it is. It's a decent (not excellent by any stretch, but decent enough) tribute to the Warcraft universe.

Anyways, I think the human portion of the movie was the weaker side. That being said, I think Medivh gave one of the strongest performances in the entire movie. Really solid acting from Ben Foster. I didn't like Lothar, though. Too much Ragnar Lothbrok (as I had feared) and not enough of the classic Lothar that makes the character who he is. Despite my personal misgivings, however, I think Fimmel did a good job.

Llane and Taria were both perfectly average, nothing to write home about. Maybe it's because the characters themselves were just bland, but they don't really stand out. Khadgar's personality matched that of his game counterpart. While I do dislike WoD's quip-spouting, one-liner dropping Khadgar, I can see how the movie version could grow up into the game version. Of all the human characters, I think Khadgar stood out the most.

Orc side totally killed it. Great performance on their ends. Gul'dan was top tier. Such a great villain. Durotan and Draka were both truly excellent, as well. I was sad to see their deaths. Gul'dan, Durotan, and Draka, really carry the orc side. Blackhand and Orgrim kind of fall by the wayside, as I'll explain below.

Blackhand was pretty badass, but the character overall was bland. Kind of like Llane and Taria. Blackhand is there, he does a few things, but he's nothing more than a big chunk of angry, talking meat. Clancy Brown did a good job, though. I don't understand why he looked so different from his game counterpart. Ultimately, I think they just didn't want Blackhand to be anything more than a big brute. A bit of a shame, considering Blackhand is a lot smarter than we give him credit for.

Orgrim... a bit disappointed with this one. Not to say Rob Kazinsky did a bad job. No, not at all. I think all the orc actors did great jobs, Rob included. Much like Blackhand, though... the character is just kind of... there. I got the vibe that Orgrim was a pretty important character in this movie. Or that he was a main character, at least. Maybe it's due to the cut footage, but Orgrim feels like a side character. I don't think Orgrim was really given a chance to shine. If there's a sequel, I hope they don't neglect him as much. (Also, his betrayal seemed... unusual. I don't think that was handled very well.)

Garona was okay. I didn't really like how she's just a green human with tiny plastic teeth sticking out of her mouth. I think the character should have been CGI.

The movie definitely suffers from the decision to cut 40 minutes of footage.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Sucks to hear the Human side was weak but hardly surprising, at least Durotan sounds good and I actually care about Durotan. Can't wait to see this weekend to judge for myself.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:44 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

I gave this, as a fan, an 8. The reason is because I really enjoyed myself. Durotan was amazing along with Gul'dan. The human side I loved Khadgar and Medivh. I thought Ben Foster played that role very well and Ben Schneider surprised me as also. I knew lore was going to be changed so I let that slide. The only scene where I was still scratching my head was the Medivh Garona scene.
I have never scene Vikings ( I know i know I fail at life) so I don't have anything to compare Travis Fimmels other work. I did however like the scene with him trying to save his son and the look Blackhand gave him. Llane did feel a bit dry and the advent kinda was odd but he really only felt like a minor character to me in the grand scheme of things.
CGI I thought was very well done. I didn't sit there to try and look at what scenes didn't mesh well or what looked out of place as some people have said. For the most part it wasn't bad. I do agree at the beginning you are kinda thrown into it without much showing down, I did mention that to my gf ( no clue about anything Warcraft ) and she said she agreed but she got the hang of it after a bit and knew what was happening so coming from a non Warcraft fan that's good.
The main complaint from me would be the scene in Dalaran with the "Alodi" not when Khadgar enters but prior too. That whole area just felt really out of place to me, perhaps the colors I guess.
Anyways I went in looking for a good time and I got it. If I go watch it again, maybe I'll be able to nitpick a bit more and see what stands out as flaws
Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 PM

Arch-Druid

Watched it, loved it. Not without flaws, of course, but it is nowhere near as bad as some people seem to think it is. The only thing I could ask for is them to make it longer and give the characters a bit more time to develop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Just watched it. After reading the critics, I went there expecting to be disappointed. Ultimately, the movie was okay. What's really apparent is that the producers did have a lot of respect for the franchise, catering to the small details to make this Azeroth as close to the game version as possible. And I think that's good, that's very good. it's rare that you see such IP respect in today's Hollywood. But the problem is that it's kinda pushed too much. The enthusiasm of the movie backfires at some point. It's the typical case of the fan that just loves his world so much that he wants to show you everything. That gives a movie that's way too fucking fast-paced for any storytelling to really happen and that's a real shame. It all becomes mostly just an action movie because Jones wants to show way too much. I should have made less stuff happen but expand more on the world, characters, story, etc.

Now, for generic comments...

Regarding the actors, I think they all did a pretty decent job. Kudos to Ben Foster who stole the show when he was on the set.

I really liked how Grom was just a background guy who doesn't say a word. He's always there yet he says fuck all.

Durotan was good. I really liked the scene where he died, it felt really dramatic.

Orgrim became the backstabber in a different way. I like it, but the guy is so minor in the movie that you don't really care.

Gul'dan is fucking evil. What a great villain. Between the movie, WoD and Legion, the guy is probably reaching Arthas' level of fame to the public when it comes to Warcraft villains.

Really laughed when Varys got his neck snapped. I don't know why, it was just funny. The other human follower was taken as a prisoner though so Id expect to see him again in another movie? Judging by the trailers, I expected him to be the "muh evil racist human who hates Orcs!!!!" guy.

Blackhand died way too fast. We literally see the whole fight in the trailer... Wtf, you suddently didn't have anymore budget?

They should have left out the part with Dalaran. It was just useless. They should also have made Khadgar Medhiv's apprentice who ran away become the guy's so fucking mad. Would have been better.

So Id give it a 6,5/10. Or a 7/10 since I'm just glad the Warcraft movie is finally out! The movie is fine, but it won't be the one that makes people realize you can make good movies out of video games. Unless there is a second one, it will be forgotten quickly.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I give it four bags of popcorn.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 PM

Keeper of the Grove

I was drunk but I think it was a great film. I am probably going to see it again; will post a better review when I am sober.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 PM

Elune

For me? 8/10.

As a film? 4/10.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:52 PM

Arch-Druid

I rate it 4/10 blades of grass.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:40 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Horde Flag

I don't want to see it yet, I'm saving it for a special occasion.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:18 AM

Hippogryph Rider

With all the little details I think the movie is meant for Warcraft fans rather than normies.
I liked it, but I can see why it gets negative reviews.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 AM

Ranger
Send a message via MSN to xlandhenry

I'd give a 7. Contrary to what some believe, this movie is very well received by people here in China, even people who had never played the game told me they enjoyed it very much.

The leading characters - Lothar, Medivh, Khagar on human side, Gul'dan, Durotan on the orc side - all have very strong performance. Garona and Llane didn't impress me so much, and Orgrim was given too little screen time to really shine. Story-wise it is mediocre, though. There're minor issues with some scenes jumping too fast but everything else is above average.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:21 PM

Elune

I went with a 7/10. As a lifelong fan of Warcraft, I might bump it to an 8/10 personally, but 7/10 feels right to me. It was far better than I had expected it to be (I dismissed the various critics anyway. I mean, worse than Battlefield: Earth? Fucking please), but it did have its problems. Most of the human side were rather meh. The only ones I had any real enjoyment out of was Medivh (who was average, I'd say) and Khadgar (I really enjoyed him).

I found myself actually enjoying the orcs, which kinda surprised me since I'm not a fan of them usually.

Except for Garona. Really did not like Garona's actress, and I hope she's recasted. And I hope they forget that wretched love angle with Lothar. Jesus.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 AM

Elune

Solid 6/10.

Nothing special, but not bad either. I don't feel worse for putting down money to see it but it wasn't a phenomenal viewing experience I'll remember or get hyped for the sequel about.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 AM

Elune

Old 06-12-2016, 06:02 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

> no 10/10 score

I guess the people from Blizzwatch dont come to these forums

My biased, fanboy opinion gives it an 8/10, but if i wasnt so invested in the game and franchise, I would easily jump between 6 or 5. This is not a movie for the normies, who actually end up confused with so many things the movie assumes you just know. I'm sure the franchise would benefit a lot more if its made a tv series, because its just too fucking much happening in it, and its gonna get worse with the sequels, considering the story develops in more than one front.

Last edited by Temo; 06-12-2016 at 06:06 AM..

Tags
entertainment, opinions, poll, survey, warcraft, warcraft movie