Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM

Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Why would Xe'ra go to on to talk so much about Illidan and give us visions of his life?
Its surface blazes bright, masking shadows below.

Consider this: just like some Naaru retain a fragment of their "good" nature in their darkened stage, there should be Naaru that retain malicious intents even in the blazing bright stage.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoriveil View Post
Its surface blazes bright, masking shadows below.

Consider this: just like some Naaru retain a fragment of their "good" nature in their darkened stage, there should be Naaru that retain malicious intents even in the blazing bright stage.
That refering to 'Xe'ra' makes total sense.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Was Lor'themar's first appearance BC or the Sunwell Trilogy?
Old 05-15-2017, 03:26 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Was Lor'themar's first appearance BC or the Sunwell Trilogy?
Sunwell Trilogy I guess.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Sunwell Trilogy I guess.
Actually, Lor'themar was introduced in TBC first. He appeared only in the third part of the trilogy, which was released a few months after the expansion. The thing is, it took them a year to finish each of the three chapters (from 2005 to 2007).

But maybe he was first created by Knaak and then adopted by the cdev during the development of the game. Who knows. Yet it seems unlikely, since he's alive and well. Derp.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:36 PM

Elune

Valeera and Falstad were created by Knaak too.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 PM

Keeper of the Grove

And Kalec and Jarod.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:18 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Valeera and Falstad were created by Knaak too.
Also Trag, Tyri, Kalec and Jorad Mace. It's just a running gag. Even Knaak is aware about it, yet he's also a bit salty which is understandable.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
Also Trag, Tyri, Kalec and Jorad Mace. It's just a running gag. Even Knaak is aware about it, yet he's also a bit salty which is understandable.
Wow, has it really been so long? Have you all forgotten about Krasus, too?

(disclaimer...yes, it has been so long since he died that i had to look up the guy's name)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al'Akir View Post
Wow, has it really been so long? Have you all forgotten about Krasus, too?

(disclaimer...yes, it has been so long since he died that i had to look up the guy's name)
We were talking about characters he made who were still alive though.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:17 PM

Glaive Thrower

Is Shallamayne a single sword that was split in two, or two swords that were combined into one?

Is it a feature of the sword itself, or was it an effect of Varian's own split personalities?

Considering that Anduin could be the child of light and shadow, and that he could "serve at the Old Gods' table", and that he seems to be a Discipline Priest...

Well, he just got Shallamayne. What if he follow his father's footsteps and get split as well? Light Anduin, wandering around, and Shadow Anduin, pretending to be the same while subtly manipulating events to the Old Gods' favor? That way all the "prophecies" are "fulfilled" and we get rid of Illidan.

Last edited by Patrick_C; 05-18-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Arch-Druid

I'm not sure about him getting physically split like that, but as for the rest, sure! Would be cool.

I don't dislike Illidan, but it would be interesting if Xe'ra isn't actually lying about the prophecy, but she may be wrong.

Last edited by Ethenil; 05-19-2017 at 08:07 AM..
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Elune

Xe'ra could be telling the truth. The Beacon might not be.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Ranger

The lack of troll lore in Legion displeases me. Given the nature of the Broken Isles, the threat of the Legion, and the fact that the main armies of the Alliance and Horde were wiped on the Broken Shore, I thought this expansion would somehow manage to feature the Zandalari's fleet, perhaps in a more neutral role. It'd be a good chance to show them as politically complex, perhaps using this chance to both vanquish the Legion and establish themselves as a new superpower, but somehow Blizzard chose to ignore them completely.
The rest of the trolls get nothing, other than a random shadow priest guy and maybe some other 1-2 sentences troll NPCs such as the druid one.
Fuck, the lack of Wrathion lore also makes me sad. The entire point of his development in MoP was to show that he was preparing in advance for the Legion's arrival, and now that the Legion is actually here, the boy-dragon is just written out of existence entirely.
I hope Blizzard makes "racial halls" or something in the next expansion, to ensure that everyone gets their share of development (and some nice racial-exclusive transmogs and glyphs to go along).
Old 05-22-2017, 10:55 AM

Owl Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
The lack of troll lore in Legion displeases me.
The funniest part of this expansion for me (concerning trolls) was when I leveled up a troll arms warrior and got Strom'kar. When Thoradin's spirit started talking about the sword, how I was such a worthy warrior and so on, my character was right in front of him; knowing that in the past he has used that same sword to kill throngs of trolls, I pictured in my head my character staring at him, arms crossed, while he went on about the sword.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Loremaster

The sad thing is between his early beta presence in Highmountain and seeming indifference to the demonic invasion during the Chromie's Deaths quests, I have this feeling they're going to end up dismissing Wrathion's Legion-specific angles and just tie him to some Old God stuff instead.

Which will be a stupid waste because we've already had black dragon/Old God stories a billion times before and it's boring now. I was earnestly looking forward to some underhanded black dragon - vs - Legion shenanigans from Wrathion; a spawn of Deathwing going head-to-head with the demons isn't something we've really gotten to see before.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:25 AM

Echo of the Past

Blades of grass. Are there any major geographic or clan-territorial differences between alternate!Draenor of WoD and the pre-portal Draenor mapped in Chronicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall, "Rise of the Horde"
Upon reflection, so Drek'Thar tells me, this time in our history was as a perfect day in early summer.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:37 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Orc Icon (War3)

Besides the missing clans and the fact that Chronicle doesn't mention the Frostwolves' villages in Nagrand, not really.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:54 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Besides the missing clans and the fact that Chronicle doesn't mention the Frostwolves' villages in Nagrand, not really.
It is arguable these clans were missing simply because they were either absorbed or vanquished by the Iron Horde.

--------

By the way Grackle, I've checked with Burns, and apparently, Chronicle's Tol Barad location was a conscious decision, not a mistake.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:57 AM

Arch-Druid

Does the Laughing Skull name location imply they had quite a bit of seafaring, and hint towards them also having a presence in Farahlon, as was the case in old lore?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
By the way Grackle, I've checked with Burns, and apparently, Chronicle's Tol Barad location was a conscious decision, not a mistake.
What's the implication of that, again?

I got lost between ships.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
What's the implication of that, again?

I got lost between ships.
The battle of Tol Barad couldn't have happened the way it did in Warcraft II and Cataclysm (ie the Horde assaulting the island early in the war because it stood an obstacle in their invasion north).

With its current location, the only way a battle could have happened there is either with the Stormreavers taking a stop there during their journey towards the Tomb, or with the Black Tooth Grins attacking the island on their way back towards Lordaeron.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
The battle of Tol Barad couldn't have happened the way it did in Warcraft II and Cataclysm (ie the Horde assaulting the island early in the war because it stood an obstacle in their invasion north).

With its current location, the only way a battle could have happened there is either with the Stormreavers taking a stop there during their journey towards the Tomb, or with the Black Tooth Grins attacking the island on their way back towards Lordaeron.
...or it could've been something the fleet did after dropping the main armies off at Hillsbrad, before Gul'dan returned to the fleet. That would make a little more sense.

But regardless, I still say this geographic decision was a mistake. It slipped through the cracks, so they chose to stand by it. The battle.net website still has the Tol Barad description placing it in Baradin Bay, and I doubt Blizzard will update it.

All over a single map visual and zero related text? I mean... we'll see. Huge chunks of the Ultimate Visual Guide are dead lore now, and it hasn't even been five years. We'll see what kind of staying power that map error has.

(And you know it was an error. There's no reason for them to have done that on purpose, or he would have told you the reason.)
Quote:
Upon reflection, so Drek'Thar tells me, this time in our history was as a perfect day in early summer.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
...or it could've been something the fleet did after dropping the main armies off at Hillsbrad, before Gul'dan returned to the fleet. That would make a little more sense.
Why would they sail out of the bay, west of Gilneas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
But regardless, I still say this geographic decision was a mistake. It slipped through the cracks, so they chose to stand by it. The battle.net website still has the Tol Barad description placing it in Baradin Bay, and I doubt Blizzard will update it.

All over a single map visual and zero related text? I mean... we'll see. Huge chunks of the Ultimate Visual Guide are dead lore now, and it hasn't even been five years. We'll see what kind of staying power that map error has.

(And you know it was an error. There's no reason for them to have done that on purpose, or he would have told you the reason.)
Eh, I genuinely don't think it was an error at this point. First because of this response (Burns does come across as a liar, he openly admitted mistakes in the past), but more importantly because of the political map. They had correctly given Tol Barad to Stromgarde, and I just do not buy that they would have done so while also mixing its location.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:39 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Why would they sail out of the bay, west of Gilneas?
To wage war. To break things. To terrorize the coast. To satiate the blood haze. Otherwise, they just sit in the bay and do nothing for most of the war. Why WOULDN'T they attack something to occupy their time?

It makes more sense than Gul'dan or the Blackhands making a pit stop to wipe out an island garrison when they have drastically more important things to do.

Quote:
Eh, I genuinely don't think it was an error at this point. First because of this response (Burns does come across as a liar, he openly admitted mistakes in the past), but more importantly because of the political map. They had correctly given Tol Barad to Stromgarde, and I just do not buy that they would have done so while also mixing its location.
But he didn't give you a reason for the change, did he? I don't think you'll be able to get a reason out of him, as I doubt one exists.

If there was no reason, then... on some level, it's an accident.
Quote:

Tags
go'el's gaol, high elf menopause, lore, lorebat, random, tubers, warcraft, world of warcraft