Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 05-19-2017, 08:57 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You have people who benefit at other's expense because of government favoritism
Some would argue that nowadays the government favors the corporations. That they have reached a happy equilibrium of corruption.
Quote:
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Some would argue that nowadays the government favors the corporations. That they have reached a happy equilibrium of corruption.
Governments tend to help those that help them whether that be a powerful bureaucratic body, corporations that do them favors, or industries they create with tax payer money.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Governments tend to help those that help them whether that be a powerful bureaucratic body, corporations that do them favors, or industries they create with tax payer money.
It fascinates me that you still insist on viewing "governments" as separate entities from the corporate lobbies that influence them, or more hilariously, as an opposing force that is actually attempting to control corporate.

Or that you can't see that the statement you just made pretty much describes why the US is a *drumroll* corporate state.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 AM

World Builder

Quote:
industries they create with tax payer money.

Such as?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
It fascinates me that you still insist on viewing "governments" as separate entities from the corporate lobbies that influence them, or more hilariously, as an opposing force that is actually attempting to control corporate.

Or that you can't see that the statement you just made pretty much describes why the US is a *drumroll* corporate state.
You don't fascinate me. You just make me sad and perplexed. Your ideas are so out there and don't make much sense but you are really proud for having them. Condescension isn't a substitute for substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Such as?
Academia.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM

World Builder

Quote:
You don't fascinate me. You just make me sad and perplexed. Your ideas are so out there and don't make much sense but you are really proud for having them. Condescension isn't a substitute for substance.

Academia.
1. Could say the same thing about you.

2. Not really. Academia has its problems but it's not an industry 'created' by the government.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
2. Not really. Academia has its problems but it's not an industry 'created' by the government.
It receives a lot of tax money. It is the way the government does it I think that promotes a lot of the corruption you see in academia.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
It receives a lot of tax money.
Tax money that could have been poured into the military industrial complex.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Tax money that could have been poured into the military industrial complex.
The higher education industrial complex!

I would rather support people in war zones than pay for paper mill degrees or shoddy research. I think a lot of people would.

I even think the DoD R&D is more fruitful than some of the studies we fund at big universities. It is more focused on natural sciences so we get things like the internet.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM

World Builder

Quote:
It receives a lot of tax money. It is the way the government does it I think that promotes a lot of the corruption you see in academia.
Because it is good to invest in an educated population.

I think you overestimate the corruption because you hate liberals and think they are selfish and lazy.

Quote:
The higher education industrial complex!

I would rather support people in war zones than pay for paper mill degrees or shoddy research. I think a lot of people would.

I even think the DoD R&D is more fruitful than some of the studies we fund at big universities. It is more focused on natural sciences so we get things like the internet.

Just because it doesn't support your worldview doesn't mean the research is shoddy.

You're comparing apple's and oranges there. The DoD makes different things for different reasons than public universities.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
You're comparing apple's and oranges there. The DoD makes different things for different reasons than public universities.
That was me, actually.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Elune

Quote:
Because it is good to invest in an educated population.

I think you overestimate the corruption because you hate liberals and think they are selfish and lazy.
A lot of people that come out of academia weren't educated in a meaningful or useful way.

I think you got that mixed up. I saw the corruption and hubris of academia and became more conservative.
Quote:
Just because it doesn't support your worldview doesn't mean the research is shoddy.

I don't think research that only serves to placate the source of public funding is worthy of public investment. It needs more scrutiny and congressional input.

A lot of those things end up benefiting everyone because it is focused more on STEM and instead of being a black hole there is a sense of purpose and determination. That is why you see these big inventions come from there. It is the same reason I support NASA so much.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 AM

World Builder

@Anansi: Whups

Quote:
A lot of people that come out of academia weren't educated in a meaningful or useful way.

I think you got that mixed up. I saw the corruption and hubris of academia and became more conservative.

I don't think research that only serves to placate the source of public funding is worthy of public investment.

It needs more scrutiny and congressional input.

A lot of those things end up benefiting everyone because it is focused more on STEM and instead of being a black hole there is a sense of purpose and determination. That is why you see these big inventions come from there. It is the same reason I support NASA so much.
1. Elaborate.

2. I saw the corruption and hubris of businesses and republicans and became more liberal.

3. Neither do I, good thing that's not what most research does.

Again, you seem to hate bureaucracy but don't understand how congress cannot review every little thing, it would slow government to a crawl.

4. So do lots of other kinds of research, it is not just STEM that helps people.

Maybe you should look at who NASA supports.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I'm very sympathetic to people who study the world around them for its own sake. Intellectual curiosity is a virtue, in my opinion, even if it doesn't lead to something your military friends can use.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
1. Elaborate.
They can't really offer any sort of utility to society. It is more like an indoctrination. If you have to live your life by using the government to coerce people to take care of you I don't think you invested in yourself properly.

There is an opportunity cost here. I think a lot of people would be smarter and better off if they spent those four years and money doing something else. You can learn through experiences just as well as you can learn in a classroom about the kind of things you are talking about. Stop pretending there is only one way to learn about the world.
Quote:
2. I saw the corruption and hubris of businesses and republicans and became more liberal.
Okay...
Quote:
3. Neither do I, good thing that's not what most research does.
A lot of it is pretty arbitrary in its findings. You can't control variables very well so they come to conclusions that support the polices their political masters want. There needs to be diversity of thought and accountability to make sure it acts in the public interest.
Quote:
Again, you seem to hate bureaucracy but don't understand how congress cannot review every little thing, it would slow government to a crawl.
It would make it more accountable though. Why even use government at all if it is unaccountable? What makes it different than a more powerful monopoly?
Quote:
4. So do lots of other kinds of research, it is not just STEM that helps people.
A lot of research is really self-serving. It is thinly masked propaganda. It is just one big circle jerk.
Quote:
Maybe you should look at who NASA supports.
NASA is mostly STEM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
NASA is mostly STEM.
I think he means who they support politically.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
I think he means who they support politically.
No one? Do you know who created NASA?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 AM

World Builder

Quote:
They can't really offer any sort of utility to society. It is more like an indoctrination. If you have to live your life by using the government to coerce people to take care of you I don't think you invested in yourself properly.

There is an opportunity cost here. I think a lot of people would be smarter and better off if they spent those four years and money doing something else. You can learn through experiences just as well as you can learn in a classroom about the kind of things you are talking about. Stop pretending there is only one way to learn about the world.

Okay...

A lot of it is pretty arbitrary in its findings. You can't control variables very well so they come to conclusions that support the polices their political masters want. There needs to be diversity of thought and accountability to make sure it acts in the public interest.

It would make it more accountable though. Why even use government at all if it is unaccountable? What makes it different than a more powerful monopoly?

A lot of research is really self-serving. It is thinly masked propaganda. It is just one big circle jerk.

NASA is mostly STEM.
1. That is not evidence that is just you looking down on the arts. It is not indoctrination and you're conflating them with supporting aid to the poor and homeless and such.

2. It feels like if things were that way people would only learn to be laborers and not have any critical thinking skills to question the companies they work for.

3. You are just making things up and not offering evidence, claiming the research is not good is not enough, you have to give examples.

4. The fact that politicians rotate out when voted on whereas companies do not. Government is inherently more responsible to the people.

5. Again, you are just making things up because you don't like the research results without any evidence.

6. But have you looked at their politics or what they believe, not just what they do?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
You have yet to put forward a single counter-argument rooted in actual reasoning on your behalf to anything I've ever posted as far as I can recall, so excuse me if I don't really take your attitude to heart. Your continuing attempts at sidestepping into assumptions of a personal nature don't really help your cause.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
To a certain degree, yes. However, I specifically mentioned the far right because there is virtually no fact-based anything on that side. You can argue that the far left has utopian ideas, but they are nontheless based on reasoning. Xenophobia and ultranationalism are not rooted in anything but irrationalism and herd mentality.

It is definitely true that this social behaviour applies to everyone in various degrees, unless one simply detaches from all online interaction. But it is specifically the far right that most benefits from the exclusion of contradictory information - it is the modern day version of leaflet propaganda. A target audience that has no access to other information - whether by choice or by circumstance - is most easily influenced.

The social justice bubble is definitely a prime example of this behaviourism as well.
Since the Social Justice bubble is the far left, there is literally no reason for the far right being singled out as you did, other than to massage your ego and try and convince yourself both sides arent piles of shit striving to force their ideals onto other people who dont share them.

Both sides are unreasoning, unintelligent, fuckshits, and the left isnt somehow less so.

Dont be a twat and try and single out the far right as a way to make the left look better
Old 05-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
You just make me sad and perplexed. Your ideas are so out there and don't make much sense but you are really proud for having them. Condescension isn't a substitute for substance.
I just want to save this and reply to you with it later.

Last edited by Kakwakas; 05-19-2017 at 12:10 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 04:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
1. That is not evidence that is just you looking down on the arts. It is not indoctrination and you're conflating them with supporting aid to the poor and homeless and such.

2. It feels like if things were that way people would only learn to be laborers and not have any critical thinking skills to question the companies they work for.

3. You are just making things up and not offering evidence, claiming the research is not good is not enough, you have to give examples.

4. The fact that politicians rotate out when voted on whereas companies do not. Government is inherently more responsible to the people.

5. Again, you are just making things up because you don't like the research results without any evidence.

6. But have you looked at their politics or what they believe, not just what they do?
I don't think you know what evidence is Mutterscrawl. Just because something doesn't agree with you doesn't mean it is unfounded. That is kind of the point I am making though. It is a circle jerk that doesn't listen to anyone else until they come pounding at their door.

Student loan debt is tremendous and many people either don't graduate or end up with a degree that isn't very useful. I am not buying your reasoning that those degrees imbue people with a special kind of critical thinking skills and I think it does the exact opposite. Ideologically homogeneity is extremely high and there is hostility to challenging voices. That is the opposite of critical thinking.

But really this is pretty absurd on its face. I know for some people it is fun to look down on others for no reason but how do these majors make people better thinkers than ones without them? Do you think people can't be artists without a $40,000 paper that says they can? You say it helps them question business but they never question government or academia. It isn't business that signs their paycheck. It is the government and business needs to be taxed to get that revenue. The demonization becomes necessary to get more of it.

They aren't the only ones who care about the poor. You might as well give people a religious education if that is your concern because religion is responsible for far more charity and volunteerism. I would argue that their method for alleviating poverty doesn't even work and large sums of that cash flow goes back to academic faculty and government workers. It comes in the form of grants and contracts. This is where a government contract becomes a substitute for intellectual curiosity.

You can't pretend that government is more responsive to the people when you hate the party in control right now. You can vote with your wallet when it comes to businesses. You don't have to work for them or buy from them if you don't want to. With the government that isn't the case. The presidential race comes down to two people and the winner many times doesn't even get half of the vote. The executive branch has become so powerful that that single race every four years has become too influential. In the other thread you simply fought against more accountability. The government is a monopoly and a collective choice between two options every four years is hardly accountability.

The gender wage gap uses spurious logic. So does the study that says the US is a oligarchy. When there is a financial incentive to produce results someone wants it became necessary to rig the studies to produce these specific results. These results are repeatable. Anyone could go out and refute them but they wouldn't receive as much grants and subsidies. This is why the lack of diversity in the social science is a bad thing. It creates a circle jerk. Out of all the disciplines this one needs people with different views giving each other feedback. Outside forces need to be able to pull the plug if they become their own special interest group because right now it is just government sponsored propaganda.

NASA was created by a Republican. The Republicans don't criticize NASA unless they want to divert climate change funding to space exploration. These agencies are supposed to be apolitical. I am not sure what kind of "What they believe," you are referring to. It certainly isn't this...

Neil Armstrong blasts Obama’s ‘devastating’ Nasa cuts
Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I don't think you know what evidence is Mutterscrawl.
That sure is an unhelpful thing to say.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
That sure is an unhelpful thing to say.
Neither is accusing me of malice so many times and telling me "That isn't evidence!"
Old 05-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I've found that agreeing to disagree can be very useful once it's clear that an argument can't be settled by conventional means. Of course, you could also opt for mak'gora.

Tags
realspace, serious business