Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

That narrow strip of land between the northern ocean and the Dragon's Gullet still looks kinda funny. Do you think we could pad it out a bit more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Istols lies quite perfectly in a position which would receive most of the trans-oceanic travels between the continents.
Yeah, which is why I was kind of trying to open up the central ocean. I'd like it to be less of a discrete body of water in its own right and more the northern corner of a much larger ocean that extends south of the current border. But for that to work out, it would need a lot more space between the bottom left and bottom right continents.

I've also been considering shrinking Istos to maybe 1/3 to 1/2 its current size? More on the order of Ireland than 1/3 of Australia. Maybe a little bigger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.

Last edited by Anansi; 05-16-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Old 05-16-2017, 11:12 PM

World Builder

Map

Thanks Aneurysm, fantastic job as always, might scooch Gruthar a tad north or just say it gets colder winters due to magic from the mountains

I'll wait till we hear from Anansi till i decide on what to do with Merulos

Edit: speak of the spider

I think shrinking Istos works, the Xysticid seem to build vertically for the most part so they could still have plenty of space, maybe shift Merulos a tad northwest?

EDIT2:

Alright, here's an updated map, my bits are ugly but it's got all the different groups stuffed in. Feel Free to edit your own stuff. Feelin a bit tired so I'll updated the OP with other stuff tomorrow.

http://imgur.com/a/3HEXH

Big thanks to Aneurysm again, looking back to compare this one with the previous political line map really made me realize all the little details he tweaks and updates with each iteration, like the climate coloration, the tiny islands, the mountain range sizes, really fantastic stuff.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 05-16-2017 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Postmerge
Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I'm still concerned about Istos' placement, size and surroundings, but continental drift is Annie's department, not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
NEMESIS

It can be another species, an infamous rebel or madman, or some type of horrifying monster or bogeyman that plagues your people, or did at some time in the past and was defeated (Or just stopped being believed as a real thing).
The current Primary and Secondary Concerns of Istos' Grand Tribunal are the Lokusi swarms and the Timeless cults respectively. The Lokusi represent everything the xysticids hate, and pose a threat to the world itself if they continue unchecked. The Timeless, on the other hand, represent the hazards of unregulated magic to the fabric of time and space itself, but have so far remained relatively contained.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM

Problemsolver

Old 05-17-2017, 02:07 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I like the added mass around the sea.

I'm not too attached to that name, if that's what you mean. I'm also not sure the dragon's 'mouth' needs to be so fully defined. The teeth up top, maybe, but then I don't think we need the islands that form its lower 'jaw.' I don't know, does anyone else like that effect? I'd kind of prefer the sea to be a little less cluttered, more like the Mediterranean.

I've decided that instead of trying to force the landmasses aside so that Istos can wander around more extensively, it would probably be simpler if Istos just shows up in different oceans at different times. This could tie back into the stuff I planned earlier on about how the stars on the shore don't match the stars outside the mist.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I still think positions would make more sense if Istos is further north and Merulos is at Istos current position.
Then Merulos would be the perfect mid point rest spot for ships going between the continents.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:46 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I still think positions would make more sense if Istos is further north and Merulos is at Istos current position.
Then Merulos would be the perfect mid point rest spot for ships going between the continents.
If trade-routes followed straight lines, sure. But they tend to stay relatively close to the coast, don't they? And what about prevailing winds, and currents?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2017, 02:49 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
If trade-routes followed straight lines, sure. But they tend to stay relatively close to the coast, don't they? And what about prevailing winds, and currents?
True but wasn't Merulos supposed to be this really important trade point for all species of the known world? At it's current point only a few elven ships would ever go there, whereas in Istos position then trade fleets from the east trade routes and the west trade routes could meet up.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:03 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
True but wasn't Merulos supposed to be this really important trade point for all species of the known world? At it's current point only a few elven ships would ever go there, whereas in Istos position then trade fleets from the east trade routes and the west trade routes could meet up.
In its current position, Merulos represents a good place for all manner of traders from the continent, and maybe from Elfland and Rak'shari Land as well. Gruthar probably has no idea it exists.

I think this is a problem of the world's expanding scale. Speaking of which, are there any elves outside of Elfland?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
In its current position, Merulos represents a good place for all manner of traders from the continent, and maybe from Elfland and Rak'shari Land as well. Gruthar probably has no idea it exists.

I think this is a problem of the world's expanding scale. Speaking of which, are there any elves outside of Elfland?
I've kept it open for others to do other elves. There could be offshoots to the east, so anyone is welcome to make elves there or further east.
I've so far kept from having my elves in other places because I don't want to overstep.
But if you are ok with it, then the effects of the lokusi could lead to elves migrating abroad. The westerners could move to northern Gruthar and the Yeti continent and the Easterners could move to the eastern continent.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:23 PM

World Builder

Great job Aneurysm, though i agree with Anansi the dragons gullet looks a tad too defined

I was thinking Merulos could move a little Northwest but its current spot is good for trade with southern places yet undefined, so i think I'll let it stay for now

As for elves, feel free to have some settlements in northern Gruthar among the Brondheim settlements (humans, jotun, bear people, and seal / walrus folk and such) just lemme know when they'd have started settling so i can make appropriate reactions, the yeti won't react much unless attacked

East is totally up for grabs atm

Update on Grutharin Dominion forces: Dron has reached the Firemaw and the orcs are settling near it and fortifying it

One last ship got sunk by a seamonster (in sight of home no less ) but the remaining ships circling the south have all returned, exact reception will depend on if/when the folks on Istos make it back, but five ships are being fixed up and readied to dive into Lokusi territory in elfland (they don't know its elfland though)

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-18-2017, 05:05 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
I'm not too attached to that name, if that's what you mean. I'm also not sure the dragon's 'mouth' needs to be so fully defined. The teeth up top, maybe, but then I don't think we need the islands that form its lower 'jaw.' I don't know, does anyone else like that effect? I'd kind of prefer the sea to be a little less cluttered, more like the Mediterranean.
I was wondering if me making the opening to the sea more dragon-like was too on the nose, with teeth and jaw islands and all. I guess you and Mutters answered the question. I'll de-clutter the sea somewhat with the next update. I'll do it while still trying to keep some sort of subtle dragon aesthetic to it, because rule of cool.

Quote:
I've decided that instead of trying to force the landmasses aside so that Istos can wander around more extensively, it would probably be simpler if Istos just shows up in different oceans at different times. This could tie back into the stuff I planned earlier on about how the stars on the shore don't match the stars outside the mist.
Alright, that'd be easier than me moving the other continents apart further and repositioning Istos. So we'll just say that the position Istos has on the map is just there for convenience, just so that Istos can be anywhere on the map at all.

Also maybe I can try and whip up some mist effects surrounding Istos, just for the sake of looks and making it even more unique. Which was what I thought when I made the Dragon's Gullet more dragon-y; with the elven continent looking fab as fuck (I'm pretty damned pleased with the results, which is why I haven't updated it much), I feel the other landmasses lack some aesthetic oomph, and look dull. Doing little tweaks and adding flavour to each landmass on the map is something I want to make happen.

Quote:
Great job Aneurysm, though i agree with Anansi the dragons gullet looks a tad too defined

I was thinking Merulos could move a little Northwest but its current spot is good for trade with southern places yet undefined, so i think I'll let it stay for now
Speaking of Merulos, with every update I've made I've been torn about the results of the trade city, mainly because I've half-assed it. I sort of don't know what to do with it. Should it look rocky, cold, and artificial, or has the megastructure become increasingly overgrown, mossy, and natural-looking over the millenia?

I've also been considering shrinking it a little bit, maybe to two thirds/three quarters its current size, like I did with Istos with the last update. I know I'm sort of inconsistent with scale, and mainly go by what looks and feels right rather than getting into actual measurements, but if Gruthar is supposed to be continent-sized, say something like one of the Americas, then Merulos is fucking huge. But maybe it's supposed to be. You tell me.

Last edited by Aneurysm; 05-18-2017 at 05:09 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 AM

Eternal Watcher

Now unto the first assignment, Animals!

The far north of Ourothris is populated by beasts far larger and stronger than the civilised south.

The mighty Rock Bear thrives in the hills and mountains of the deep woods. Far larger than it's cousins across the known world, this great bear towers over elves and beats alike. Known for it's habit of hibernating in larger caves. It's large teeth and claws can easily break the skulls of even the hardiest of beasts.
(Inspired by the Cave Bear)

The Primal Lion is the king of beasts in the deep woods. Even the great Rock Bear is reluctant to face this lion. found throughout the far north, this king of beasts proudly hunt the deep shadows of the woods.
(Inspired by the Cave Lion)

The towering Black Elk dominate the herbivores of the deep woods. It's great crown is as large as the tallest elf and from hoof to horn it measures almost twice the height of a wood elf.
(Inspired by the Irish Elk)

Some examples of the fauna of the far north.

Next are the Nemesis of the northern wood elves:

These great species that sit at the pinnacle of beasts are simple prey for the demons and spirits that haunt the wild north. The most feared of all are the Web Devils. Highly intelligent beings but evil to the core. They hunt and trap beasts and elves alike in the depth of the woods. They take great pleasure in the terror and pain of their prey. Bipedal with two sets of arms, making them almost seem humanoid but the six large eyes in it's forehead and the rows of shard and terrifying teeth haunts even the most brave of elves and men. They're extremely hard to kill, being able to survive the most greivous of wounds. Sucking the fresh blood if it's victims allow it to hyper-regenerate. They weave strong and sticky webs that it traps it's pray with. Nigh impervious to the cold but with a certain weakness to fire.
Their physical prowess pales when it comes to their great gifts in weaving the darkest arts of magic. Shadowy and evil magics are easily mastered by these terrifying beings.
If not for their few numbers they would easily dominate the whole continent, pushing the elves to the brink of destruction. They keep to the far north where they are the true kings.
Any wood elf hunter or warrior that manage to slay one of these devils become legend though such legends rarely last for long as the Web Devils are quick to seek vengeance.

The Lokusi are the nemesis of all elves but the eastern elves are the nemesis of the cold-blooded Serpensis, the formerly enslaved servants of the East.

Natives of the lands between the Barrier Sands and the eastern mountains long before the elves migrated in from the north. Their primitive and tribal nature allowed the easterner to quickly defeat and enslave them. Forced to slave as workers, soldiers and for carnal pleasures as the females are considered exotic beauties to the eastern elf males.
They have no legs like the elves but scaly snake tails. The rise of the empire outlawed the practice of slavery but some city states kept the tradition in secret, hiding it under the disguise of payed labour. The freed Serpentis inhabit the worst districts and lands of the many city states, often living an existence worse than when their ancestors were slaves. The fall of the empire has seen the return of the slave practices across the Hegemony but some Serpentis have risen in rebellion, secretly aided by eastern elves that object to the practice.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
this great bear towers over elves and beats alike.
I first read this as a misspelling of beets rather than beasts. The image in my mind was too hilarious not to share.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
*General map stuff*

Doing little tweaks and adding flavour to each landmass on the map is something I want to make happen.

Speaking of Merulos, with every update I've made I've been torn about the results of the trade city, mainly because I've half-assed it. I sort of don't know what to do with it. Should it look rocky, cold, and artificial, or has the megastructure become increasingly overgrown, mossy, and natural-looking over the millenia?

I've also been considering shrinking it a little bit, maybe to two thirds/three quarters its current size, like I did with Istos with the last update. I know I'm sort of inconsistent with scale, and mainly go by what looks and feels right rather than getting into actual measurements, but if Gruthar is supposed to be continent-sized, say something like one of the Americas, then Merulos is fucking huge. But maybe it's supposed to be. You tell me.

General map stuff: Excellent, sounds good across the board so far.

Wanna stick some kind of volcano symbol where the Firemaw is? What are some tweaks or flavor you have in mind for maps usually?

Merulos: I think it looks pretty good currently. It's still very rocky and has 'blocky' shapes to parts of it, there are areas that are still clearly former walls or parapets and such, though they have become moss covered over time, and the citizens in Merulos have gradually added soil so some areas have small groves of plants and such to grow crops and other plants on.

Mmm, as I get a better feel for the scale I think you're right, it's huge, but not quite as huge as it is right now, maybe scale down to 3/4ths of its current size and scooch it north just a tad.

Quote:
Now unto the first assignment, Animals!

The far north of Ourothris is populated by beasts far larger and stronger than the civilised south.

The mighty Rock Bear thrives in the hills and mountains of the deep woods. Far larger than it's cousins across the known world, this great bear towers over elves and beats alike. Known for it's habit of hibernating in larger caves. It's large teeth and claws can easily break the skulls of even the hardiest of beasts.
(Inspired by the Cave Bear)

The Primal Lion is the king of beasts in the deep woods. Even the great Rock Bear is reluctant to face this lion. found throughout the far north, this king of beasts proudly hunt the deep shadows of the woods.
(Inspired by the Cave Lion)

The towering Black Elk dominate the herbivores of the deep woods. It's great crown is as large as the tallest elf and from hoof to horn it measures almost twice the height of a wood elf.
(Inspired by the Irish Elk)

Some examples of the fauna of the far north.
Excellent, I like the mix of prehistoric animals so far, seems like there'd be a lot of fauna similarities between Northern Gruthar (And in the southern areas right around the mountains) and Ourothris.

Quote:
Next are the Nemesis of the northern wood elves:

*Web Devils*

The Lokusi are the nemesis of all elves but the eastern elves are the nemesis of the cold-blooded Serpensis, the formerly enslaved servants of the East.

*Serpentis*
Web devils: Are these the same spiderlike monsters mentioned previously or are there two sets of spiderlike monsters in the northern woods?

Serpentis: Hoo boy, that's going to be fun to explore! Are the Serpentis more like humanoid-faced naga, or are they more like the bestial-faced naga, or some mix of both?

Like this?
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...intPreview.jpg

or more like this?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9895c2fe4c.jpg
EDIT: Found another http://orig12.deviantart.net/3465/f/...rt-d5vt60t.png

Or more like a mix?
http://orig08.deviantart.net/61c2/f/...re-d5a2mgm.jpg

http://mchughstudios.com/studioblog/...l_original.jpg

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 05-18-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:

Excellent, I like the mix of prehistoric animals so far, seems like there'd be a lot of fauna similarities between Northern Gruthar (And in the southern areas right around the mountains) and Ourothris.
Pre-historic eurasian beasts felt perfect for the region and as you guys already were on that note I felt it fitting.

Quote:
Web devils: Are these the same spiderlike monsters mentioned previously or are there two sets of spiderlike monsters in the northern woods?
The same spiderlike monsters. To continue on the wood elves and their conflicts with the Web Devils, the elves have adapted certain protective practices to fend off or avoid the Web Devils. They've adapted a certain totemic practice where a warrior or hunter that has reached a certain level will claim a totemic beast spirit of his own. Once such a totemic spirit has gained a strong bond can the elf evolve it further by summoning the spirit of a deceased ancestor and meld the spirits together. This allows ancestors to guide their descendants for generations to come. This practice came to be through necessity and chance. The Web Devils have a certain fondness for capturing the spirit/soul of their sapient victims and use them for devilish arts.
It's a terrifying fate so the priests of the elves, in communion with Heliset, created a method for protecting the spirit of the deceased. The spirit of the elves are tied to a small charm created by the priesthood that allows the spirit to avoid capture. The free spirit can then seek shelter in the burial shrines of their kin.
A melded spirit acts as a guide and protection for the travelling elf, which is a necessity in the deadly woods.

The wood elves hold four gods above all others. The Lord of Light is called upon to guide them through darkness by illuminating their path and the Queen of Darkness is prayed to for protection against the evils that lurk in the darkness.
But foremost are the Warrior and the Huntress. Males often lean towards the teachings of the Warrior whereas females lean towards the Huntress but exceptions to this rule aren't uncommon.

An example are the tragic love tale of Hanir and Shirin. The fathers of Hanir and Shirin were sworn brothers after Olun, father of Hanir, saved Shirin's father Aden after he shipwrecked at the northeastern shore of Ourothris. Aden was an eastern elf and they rarely ever come to the north. Olun and Aden journeyed across the north, surviving hardship after hardship before they settled down in Olun's village of birth in the far northern edge of the continent. The sworn brothers had courted two maidens in a neighbouring town and had their first children within days of each others.
Hanir was a red haired boy, green eyed and pale. Shirin inherited her father's light tan skin but her mother's black hair and blue eyes. They grew up together, rarely ever leaving each others company. They had many siblings and friends but none as close as each others. Hanir were one of the rare men that leaned towards the huntress, disciplined and few of words, excelling at archery and controlling frost magic. Shirin were the direct opposite, never backing out of a melee, hot-heated and strong-willed, succeeding to ignite her sword in flames at a young age.

but tragedy would befall them in their early adulthood. Olun became possessed by one of the sinister spirits that stalk the woodland shadows and went on a slaughter, killing his own family and neighbours. Aden fought his sworn brother and died slaying him. Hanir and Shirin were away at the time, visiting the burial shrines in the hills behind the village so that Hanir could meld the spirit of an ancestor with his totemic spirit.
With their famillies and neighbours slain with only a handful of survivors. The pair decided to set out on their own for one of the closest towns but tragedy kept on following them. They had the misfortune of encountering a Web Devil. Shirin, braver than most others, knocked out her love and drew the Web Devil away from him. Hanir, when he woke up, refused to abandon his love and foolishly followed their tracks. He came upon the lair of the Web Devil and despite the dangers set out to kill it in the hope of saving Shirin. Despite the odds stacked against him did he manage to slay the devil, though he became badly wounded. The devil was an old and addled one, half demented and already wounded by Shirin. Shirin was wrapped up in a net, already at death's door after becoming the victim of cruel torture and poison.
Out of his mind in grief, he tied her to his back and ran to the depths of the northern-western mountains. An old temple dedicated to Heliset were hidden there, abandoned since centuries. In desperation he sought out the help of the Goddess.

To be continued...
Quote:
Serpentis: Hoo boy, that's going to be fun to explore! Are the Serpentis more like humanoid-faced naga, or are they more like the bestial-faced naga, or some mix of both?

Like this?
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...intPreview.jpg

or more like this?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9895c2fe4c.jpg
EDIT: Found another http://orig12.deviantart.net/3465/f/...rt-d5vt60t.png

Or more like a mix?
http://orig08.deviantart.net/61c2/f/...re-d5a2mgm.jpg

http://mchughstudios.com/studioblog/...l_original.jpg
More like humanoid-faced naga, but not a 100% human face, closer to an uncanny-valley like feeling with snake-like features like a narrower nose and snake eyes.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 05-18-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 02:33 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Wanna stick some kind of volcano symbol where the Firemaw is? What are some tweaks or flavor you have in mind for maps usually?
I don't know, stuff that makes landmasses look distinct and not just like jagged blobs of earth and vegetation; snazzy archipelagos, funky peninsulas, lakes forming interesting patterns, those sort of tweaks. Yaska's concept for the elven continent, looking all swirly and galaxy-esque with the archipelagos and inland sea is a pretty blatant example, I'd say. Anansi got it going a bit too with a star-shaped island surrounded in mists for the xysticid.

I tried working some of it in last night, so expect some minor changes with the next update (a group of islands here, a new peninsula there, minor effects ((mists for Istos, lava-flows and stuff for the Firemaw)) etc), as well as added annotations.

Would this right here pass for a volcano? I think the surrounding terrain might need some slight tweaking in colouration to better fit a volcanic region, but what do you think about it so far?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 AM

World Builder

Quote:
I don't know, stuff that makes landmasses look distinct and not just like jagged blobs of earth and vegetation; snazzy archipelagos, funky peninsulas, lakes forming interesting patterns, those sort of tweaks. Yaska's concept for the elven continent, looking all swirly and galaxy-esque with the archipelagos and inland sea is a pretty blatant example, I'd say. Anansi got it going a bit too with a star-shaped island surrounded in mists for the xysticid.

I tried working some of it in last night, so expect some minor changes with the next update (a group of islands here, a new peninsula there, minor effects ((mists for Istos, lava-flows and stuff for the Firemaw)) etc), as well as added annotations.

Would this right here pass for a volcano? I think the surrounding terrain might need some slight tweaking in colouration to better fit a volcanic region, but what do you think about it so far?
Ah, sounds good. And yeah, it looks like a good start for the Firemaw, might make it a tad bigger but I'll have to see what happens with the surrounding terrain before we get too far along with that.

@Yaska
So the web devils are able to use magic, that definitely makes them pretty dangerous. Has anyone ever tried... burning them all?

Thoughts on Lokusi interactions with animals: Because Lokusi attack any animals on sight to try and eat them, most animals respond in kind, fleeing the minute they smell Lokusi coming, and attacking any strays they see. In most cases single strays aren't much of a threat but most animals will be devoured by a swarm and most animals that eat Lokusi get sick or will kill them and leave the bodies to rot due to them tasting foul and generally being poisonous.

The giant vultures and bats of Gruthar are favored by the Dominion due to their ability to eat and digest Lokusi without getting sick.

Grutharin Dominion update:

The Dominion is building a little port (Well, more like setting up camps there to resupply ships that drop anchor there) on those little islands just off its coast of Gruthar before the ourothris spirally universe-islands, hopefully it'll be ready to supply the other ships once they get back from dropping off the majority of their forces.

I've been thinking more on the design of the ships too. I imagine all Grutharin ships are designed mostly as transports at this point since they're meant to just get troops from one place to another and in the past were just used for skirting the coast to get soldiers at the hives without marching deep through Lokusi territory, and for setting up pincer attacks.

Of the five ships dropping off folks, three are primarily troop transports, larger kinda clunkier ships. The other two are designed more for killing airborn Lokusi in transit, loaded up with spellcasters, crossbowmen, and siege weapons.

Current plan is to toss a few kinds of flaming and chemical projectiles into the Lokusi near the coast or one of its nearby islands to clear space for the ships to land and begin fortifying.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Eternal Watcher

Oh, some have tried.
A lord somewhere might get the idea to unify the north. He coerces a few towns and a number of villages to follow his lead. He organises an army and tries to tame the land in his little petty kingdom.
But all he does is to get noticed. All matter of dark things starts to haunt his petty kingdom. His kingdom might survive it but he'll lose people on a daily basis. Perhaps he recruits a number of hedge magi, turning them into his "court magi".
He starts to feel powerful and takes on something he can't swallow. He starts to hunt Web Devils. His forces finds and kills two or three of them. The outcasts and other loners. But that will only hasten his doom. The Web Devils do not like it when lesser beings get cocky and they seek vengeance with zeal. Once they really notices him and starts to consider him a threat then he and his kingdom will perish.
Those that survive in the north does so by staying under the radar, avoiding notice. Otherwise they wake up one day as the last living soul in the town, the rest displayed in various macabre positions to send a single message. You're already dead, you just haven't realised it.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 05-19-2017 at 09:58 AM..
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

So these things are starting to sound less like 'chimps' to my xysticids 'humans' and more like a race that combines all the evils that were once attributed to the unknown savages of darkest Africa. The soul-stealing witch-doctors in particular.

I'm not sure how they'll relate, in that case. What do they look like?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:15 AM

Problemsolver

Here, have an updated map with some annotations and bedazzlement.

And here it is without text clutter.

With the quality of the image uncompromised at that, since deviantArt doesn't screw around with resizing and silly shit like that.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:16 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
So these things are starting to sound less like 'chimps' to my xysticids 'humans' and more like a race that combines all the evils that were once attributed to the unknown savages of darkest Africa. The soul-stealing witch-doctors in particular.

I'm not sure how they'll relate, in that case. What do they look like?
Take this head:

With this jaw:

On a body that is a combination of these two:

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:

With the quality of the image uncompromised at that, since deviantArt doesn't screw around with resizing and silly shit like that.
I like it. The text annotations add a certain Gee Knee Says Kwoy, particularly the one on the far left.

Quote:
Web Devils
Yeah, those bodies look nothing like xysticids. Too humanoid. Maybe some distant cousin of the yetis?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM

World Builder

Quote:

Bless You Aneurysm, I love it.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Yeah, those bodies look nothing like xysticids. Too humanoid. Maybe some distant cousin of the yetis?
They are not a natural species. They and the Serpentis were bred and shaped into their current forms by whatever beings that ruled Ourothris many thousands of years ago. Before the edges of the continent shattered and the center got ripped out of existence, before an ice age came and went.
Any remnants of them bring great calamity and destruction, shattering the minds of mortals.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Tags
collaboration, creative, worldbuilding