BattleTag: Krainz#1972

man
I think I'm done drinking
kinda tired of hangovers
Old 12-04-2017, 04:29 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Well, that's my "goodbye" post to the WoW official forums up

And down. Turns out you can't discuss suicide on the official forums.

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 12-04-2017 at 05:22 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 05:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Well, that's my "goodbye" post to the WoW official forums up

And down. Turns out you can't discuss suicide on the official forums.
The heck Torch?!

Man I really care for you but you need to start dealing with this stuff. Talk to your family, friends, a therapist or even someone here (ofc my inbox is open). I know depression and even at its worst life is still worth living, so don't make a horrible mistake during a low point. Suicide is stupid so get a handle on things and some perspective and don't be a dumbass arright?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:07 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Post Besides, it's his body, and his to do with as he pleases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
The heck Torch?!

Man I really care for you but you need to start dealing with this stuff. Talk to your family, friends, a therapist or even someone here (ofc my inbox is open). I know depression and even at its worst life is still worth living, so don't make a horrible mistake during a low point. Suicide is stupid so get a handle on things and some perspective and don't be a dumbass arright?
That is... so not helping, C. Mistake the first: telling a suicidally depressed person what they're supposed to do. That's rather more likely to make them not do it. Mistake the second: telling a suicidally depressed person that life is worth living. It's not. I believe that YOU believe that, but "hey, look, life's still worth a damn!" isn't exactly helpful to a person to whom that doesn't apply. You're just remind them of the negative aspects, in this case the lack of positives. Mistake the third: telling a suicidally depressed person that suicide is stupid. What you mean is: "Suicide is not a solution". What you SAY is: "You are an idiot and i resent your attempt to get better, be it talking about suicide or suicide itself". I'm reasonably sure it comes from a good place but all you're doing is play into the bad conscious that usually accompanies suicidal thoughts anyway. Thus making the depression worse by making the feeling of worthlessness worse. Mistake the fourth: telling a suicidally depressed person to get "some perspective". Unless you know what's going on in their life AND their brain your own perspective is that of an outsider who cannot comprehend what's going on. Instead you're telling a person who's on the edge anyway that they're basically a loser who needs to grow up. You might not say it like that, but that's how it arrives.

Torch, same offer from me, though i'm sure you have friends to talk to that would be better suited. If you prefer a more distant conversation, i'll listen.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:29 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

I was just talking about it in the sense that "yeah, BfA nearly killed me in that way, so that's why I wanna quit". Haven't wanted to do it since.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 12-04-2017, 04:07 PM

Chimaera

Hey Torch.

Been there. Still going there a few times a week. Not a nice place to be in.

I have a stupid trick for morbid thoughts and other ruminations: I count them.

Every time I realize I am at it again I stop, attempt to remind myself of what number I was at, and either add one or start over. It kinda helps derailing those thoughts. And take a deep breath too. I mean literally.

Then try to rerail yourself onto something more pleasant. Planning stuff helps, I find. It also has the double benefit of helping you moving toward actually doing something. Writing it down too. Thing tends to become far simpler and less scary when they are written or said out loud.

It's really all about mind tricking yourself into thinking less and doing more until you feel better.

Talking to someone really really helps a lot. Of course that someone should be somewhat aware of the nature of the illness to avoid hitting a brick wall of misunderstanding. So aim at professionals.

Also don't make the mistake of thinking that because you are feeling better it's fine and you don't need to see a doctor anymore. That stuff can come back with a vengeance. Use the opportunity of having some energy back to go and see someone that will help you deal with it on the long term. And keep on planning and fixing objectives. It doesn't hurt to do stuff when you are feeling well either and it keeps the black dog at bay.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

A lot of people don't seem to understand that light-hearted talk about suicide/joking about suicide is a coping mechanism for those with suicidal thoughts, or even for those who have survived attempts. When people effectively silence it, they think they're saying, "You should pick a healthier way to cope with your suffering." Instead, it comes out more as, "I don't want to hear that because it makes me uncomfortable." It's not a good response to have, as you are effectively silencing someone's cry for help should it come to that. If someone doesn't understand me, how am I supposed to open up and talk when the time comes?

And really, fuck that. You made the right decision to leave the official forums if they shut people out for that.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Fuck this Cortana Skype bot bullshit that won’t let me delete her name or chat.

When did corporations get so shitty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post

Mid- to late-nineteenth century.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Mid- to late-nineteenth century.
You need to read up on the VoC, they had lawful evil down way before that.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:48 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

So I recently (that is to say, in the last few months or so) decided to get back into the dating scene (Not that I was ever officially out of the dating scene, but you know what I mean), and decided to try my hand at speed dating. And it's... definitely something.

For those who might not be familiar, the way speed dating works is you sign up (the organizer makes sure there's an even number of men and women) and you're guaranteed a number of dates in an evening. The women each grab a spot,and the men rotate every n minutes. In this case, you had five five minute dates, followed by a short break, then another five five minute dates, a slightly longer break (for food and drinks), then another five five minute dates, break, and the last five five minute dates, for a total of twenty.

You take the short breaks in between blocks to take a quick note on each of your dates and check them as either Yes, No or Maybe (I'm not sure what Maybe does, actually, but I suspect it's functionally identical to a Yes), and at the end of the night, you hand in another sheet (so you can keep one as a reminder, I guess) with all your dates checked as either of those three. The organizer then checks for matches, and provides each person the names, numbers and/or emails of their matches.

Which brings me to my current situation, wherein it appears that most of the women I checked as either Yes or Maybe also checked positively, which left me with far more names than I had expected (eight, to be specific). I've been sorta kinda working my way through the list to see if there's anyone there where there's anything more than a five minute connection (Amusingly, one woman actually contacted me first, which I wasn't expecting at all).

With any luck, something will come out of it, and if not? Well, there were certainly worse ways to spend an evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post

Pretty much from their inception?

Tags
realspace, spam thread 3.1