Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default How Could WoW Transcend the Factions

I’ll start this off by saying that personally I don’t believe it could or should. But, I’m not all knowing, and it’s been made quite clear to me that my opinion is not universally shared. I’m not really looking to debate it here either. Rather, I’d like to speculate based on the assumption that I am wrong about it, see where this particular rabbit hole takes us.

The premise: by the end of Battle for Azeroth the faction system is either done away with or is severely altered to the point that it no longer defines so much of our gameplay. How would you see it happen? What does it look like in terms of Lore? PvP? PvE?

While I don’t believe in it, as I said, I’ve entertained a couple scenarios in my mind:

1. By the end of BfA the power of the Alliance and the Horde are broken. They no longer have the global influence they once did. Instead, you are building up your own nation and engaging in diplomacy with whatever faction you want to associate with. If your new Tauren Tribe wants to work with Night Elves to make some sort of Druidic power team, then more power too you. However, racial rivalries will never truly disappear. The Draenei aren’t planning on forgiving the Orcs, Night Elves will never trust Blood Elves, etc. Building rep with Night Elves might necessitate you pissing off Orcs.

-You build and break relations by doing quests for the races you choose, basically building rep. However, some quests might establish more negative reputation. If you decide to help Warsong Orcs harvest lumber in Ashenvale then the Night Elves will be pissed at you.

-PvE: you can group with players of any race your nation/tribe/clan has established good relations with.

-PvP: you can group with the same people you can in PvE, and can kill those with whom you have bad relations.

It might be reasonably possible to be able to group with all races, but this will require a lot of work, patience, and passing over quests that might ruffle another race’s feathers. Alternatively, you could basically rebuild the Alliance or Horde by exclusively courting the races of your chosen faction.
The problem is that it’s more complicated than I’m making it out to be, as you’re not just restricted by your own decisions, but also by the decisions of other players. Your Tauren might have built up Night Elf rep, but if the Night Elf you’re looking to group with hasn’t put any effort into Tauren rep then it’s still not gonna work. Maybe the player base is big enough handle the complexity. Maybe it isn’t.

2. The alternative is more boring and has less potential in my mind, but it’s not near as complicated:
Lore: at the end of the War a peace treaty is signed. Lots of folks on both sides do not approve.
PvE: you can group with whomever you want.
PvP: still based in factions.

Anyway, how would you do it?

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 05-27-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Old 05-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Mountain Giant

Easy, once the Orcs are pacified finally and Forsaken eat Light next the Horde under Alliance supervision dismantles the position of Warchief with associated executive power. The Horde continues be a faction but functions more like actual barbarian confederacies like the Mongols where power is more spread around (complete with assembly) instead of one Warchief making all the big decisions.

As for the Alliance, it functions like an actual alliance with the High King postion ended as a failed experiment be it Anduin dying/Anduin stepping down/realizing there's no point to it if Greymane's going to be telling Anduin what to do.

More seperation, more diversion, but without too much war.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:03 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Easy, once the Orcs are pacified finally and Forsaken eat Light next the Horde under Alliance supervision dismantles the position of Warchief with associated executive power. The Horde continues be a faction but functions more like actual barbarian confederacies like the Mongols where power is more spread around (complete with assembly) instead of one Warchief making all the big decisions.

As for the Alliance, it functions like an actual alliance with the High King postion ended as a failed experiment be it Anduin dying/Anduin stepping down/realizing there's no point to it if Greymane's going to be telling Anduin what to do.

K, how does any of this translate gameplaywise?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:00 PM

Mountain Giant

Program in Alliance and Horde characters (including yours) to not recognize any leaders other than their Racial ones.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:14 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Program in Alliance and Horde characters (including yours) to not recognize any leaders other than their Racial ones.
What leaders are our characters programmed to recognize? Which faction leaders aren’t racial leaders?

I see what you want lore wise, but I don’t really see anything changing as far as gameplay. What happens to Battlegrounds? World PvP? Grouping?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I see what you want lore wise, but I don’t really see anything changing as far as gameplay. What happens to Battlegrounds? World PvP? Grouping?
Nothing i'm guessing. I mean, isn't this the only reasonable way for it to work? I don't see how anyone could argue that the task of reworking 7-8 games of faction content is a worthwhile and effective use of dev time.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:45 AM

Dryad

Quote:

I guess this could work, but it seems like the Alliance winning against the Horde, which many players would not like. But then, Blizzard has written the Horde as being incapable of selecting good leaders(or retiring/killing off the good ones). Maybe if the Alliance earnestly went to the Horde after Sylvanas is disposed "We really want to help bring peace between our groups" and the Horde goes: "We don't need your help! But I suppose we could listen to some suggestions"
With BFA, I'm really wondering what would happen from a lore perspective, if after Sylvanas' actions, the orcs, tauren, and trolls ask to join the Alliance. Even from a lore perspective, I doubt those groups would ever consider joining the Alliance, but I'm just wondering how the Alliance would react.

Last edited by Mungo; 05-28-2018 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: misspelling