Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: How Does Sylvanas Windrunner’s story arc end?
Bi-factional takedown, Raid Boss 2 10.00%
Alliance takedown 9 45.00%
Horde takedown 2 10.00%
She takes herself off the Board 12 60.00%
Sylvanas Wins 1 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2018, 04:42 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
No decisive battle. No horde side quest to stand up for her. No captures, no trials. No last stands with banshee screams.
A blade in the night. Discreet, dishonorable and deliberately in blatant narrative disregard of her established ability to defend herself against such things.

And not just her. Someone else too, that most everyone likes, just to show that the people who did this aren't just out for revenge. They're out to take it an arguably unnecessary step further, just like she did.
There's a very valuable, very dead orcish prisoner somewhere in a Stormwind stockade, hanging by a noose tied from a living vine that seems out of place in a prison cell unless someone literally made one grow on the spot. The corpse is charred and black. You can still smell the smoke in the air. One the wall, the words "do you like to watch the flames?" are written in dried orcish blood.

They are written in Darnassian.
Pretty brutal, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I do feel like there should be more emotionally scarred characters after Tel’drassil. I’d tell you to stay away from my Saurfang, but there’s some strong narrative in someone being so damaged that they feel the need to murder a prisoner. That said, I don’t think Malfurion or Tyrande would approve. I could be wrong. I should think that Saurfang sparing Malfurion should be common knowledge by now. Still, I doubt someone in this much raw pain cares.

Basically, it’s not what I want to happen, but it’s still really good.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 09-17-2018 at 05:02 AM..
Old 09-17-2018, 05:06 AM

Chimaera

Honestly, I should have done a better job implying that no one person did all of that. Could've thrown in a collection of inconsistent stab wounds of different depths and striking angles, but that would've probably just come across as needlessly gratuitous to anyone who isn't familiar with a certain relatively-famous English murder mystery.

Well, now I've said it anyhow.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:40 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

In light of recent 8.1 datamining, I wrote this on the SoL discord and will cross-post it to the expac discussion thread

The Horde reminds me of real world politics when utilitarianism is faced with "we must do this at all costs".

I'd say extremist convervatism but despite Sylvanas actually de facto doing it, it isn't her intention to "go back to the old glorious days of Blackhand and Doomhammer".

(that was actually Thrall's big propaganda, a demagogue utilitarian, go figure)

Thing is, the faction isn't unanimously against Sylvanas like it was with Garrosh. And blizzard is aware of that, and making room for sympathizers to fit in.

So how do you solve the conflict of pro-ruthless extremism (Forsaken politics) and pro-utilitarianism (care for our people/honor/nation and fck the war)?

The simple answer (read: the one thats not going to happen) is a tone-down on the ruthless extremism without backing off from the war.

But the pro-utilitarianism group (ie. pro-Saurfang) wants retribution. Retribution for what Sylvanas did to the Horde. She "desecrated" the Horde.

What they want is a rebellion/mak'gora, and while I think a mak'gora is possible, I don't think a rebellion will happen, for meta reasons. Basically Blizzard not delivering a second MoP.

But how could a mak'gora (or similar solution) happen without completely letting the pro-ruthless extremism group down?

Not only that, but many in the pro-ruthless extremism group are devout fans of Sylvanas.

The best solution I can think of ends up being: The Alliance going full-out military juggernaut and taking everything away from Sylvanas.

She's left with 0 val'kyrs. Maybe even used her banshee form in a way that she can't fight anymore.

The only thing she can do is be a political figure. In that moment, Saurfang saves the Horde from annihilation.

No, he doesn't beat the Alliance. The Alliance still wins. The Horde is just saved from being obliterated.

In that very same moment Vol'jin should return as warchief god incarnate and probably also get on track the story plot of solving the mystery of who the fck cursed Vol'jin and named Sylvanas warchief.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:41 AM

Critter

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't like Saurfang character one bit. I hope Sylvanas rallies the Horde and invades goes for a full-blown invasion of the Alliance lands. Then in the end, if she's killed in combat, so be it. But ideally, I hope she wins.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:37 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brammer View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't like Saurfang character one bit. I hope Sylvanas rallies the Horde and invades goes for a full-blown invasion of the Alliance lands. Then in the end, if she's killed in combat, so be it. But ideally, I hope she wins.
You can probably find kindred spirits over on the Story Forums.

Neither side will be allowed total victory. Still, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a Siege of Stormwind in patch 8.3.

Tags
battle for azeroth, world of warcraft