Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Who Should Become Bifactional?
Alliance Trolls 8 9.76%
Alliance Blood Elves (High Elves) 45 54.88%
Alliance Tauren (or some offshoot) 17 20.73%
Alliance Orcs 7 8.54%
Alliance Undead (Forsaken style undead) 12 14.63%
Alliance Goblins 18 21.95%
Horde Dwarves 18 21.95%
Horde Night Elves 8 9.76%
Horde Humans 14 17.07%
Horde Worgen 15 18.29%
Horde Draenai 15 18.29%
Horde Gnomes 7 8.54%
No, I don't want this at all 25 30.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether Crossfactional Traitor Bastards - The Poll

Given the constant "playable HEs" issue and the corresponding "give the Horde an Alliance race in return" counterpoint I came to realize we never quite discussed what sort of crossfactional trickery people would like.

So, have a poll!

Here is the premise:

If you could pick any race(s) to become available to the other side, be it in their current from or as a suspiciously similar substitute (high elves, forest trolls, eredar), which ones would you pick? You can pick them for any reason, because you think they look cool, because you think them being bifactional could be a good story, because they'd fit better on the other side... whatever.
Don't worry about how hard it would be to pull off, if you picked it, it happened. This is about what you want or think is cool, so vote with that in mind.

The poll is multiple choice, so you can select all the races you'd like to see become bifactional rather than just the absolute favorite.

Last edited by C9H20; 11-06-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Elune

Give the Horde the humans. Think how much love and lore they would get if they weren't forced to stagnate on the Alliance.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Banished

Eredar (draenei), if it was High Elves for the Alliance

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 11-06-2013 at 07:59 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Furblogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

None I'd say if I'm being honest but if I have to choose then the only ones I'd think would fit are Dark irons who refuses to be lead by Moira and her pup and are free from Raggy. If we assume that there's gonig to be a cold war in the background then the Horde can always offer them aid in fighting their cousins and reclaiming the Badlands, Searing Gorge and Burning steppes.

I ofcourse see High elves on the Alliance as justice as they sohuld have been playable from the start.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 PM

Elune

None...

...Oh, alright.

High Elves IF and only IF they were designated as such, and not "Naruoropth. Blood Elf. Alliance" as well as given the blue eyes. Straight up 'traitor' elves? No.

Syndicate/Alterac Humans I'd begrudgingly permit.

Dwarves because Cool of Rule. We'd need to get Tauren in exchange.

Last edited by Drusus; 11-06-2013 at 08:04 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM

The Digger

None, really. I wouldn't mind seeing High Elves as a human subrace when the new models come out (I know it sounds odd, but most of the racials would fit fine if you just renamed them, and Stormwind is just as reasonable a homeland for a High Elf as any other place in the world nowadays), but I don't think they need their own playable faction.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
None...

...Oh, alright.

High Elves IF and only IF they were designated as such, and not "Naruoropth. Blood Elf. Alliance" as well as given the blue eyes. Straight up 'traitor' elves? No.

Syndicate/Alterac Humans I'd begrudgingly permit.

Dwarves because Cool of Rule. We'd need to get Tauren in exchange.
I picked the title "Crossfactional Traitor Bastards" for pomp alone.

They need not be traitors, like HEs who are in fact more loyalist than BEs speaking only in terms of factional loyalty, or if Amani joined the Alliance to battle BEs... they wouldn't really be betraying anyone.

EDIT: But if someone wanted a scenario where, for whatever reason, a chunk of a race turned traitor then that is cool as well.

Last edited by C9H20; 11-06-2013 at 08:12 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 PM

Eternal

High elves(more as a subrace for humans to be honest), draenei(though I'm thinking more about man'ari or perhaps Auchenai types), and worgen(savage worgen would be likely to finally exist and fit in with their faction).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I

Arch-Druid

Dwarves in the Horde, please.

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Give the Horde the humans. Think how much love and lore they would get if they weren't forced to stagnate on the Alliance.
Humans.. forced to stagnate?

When did that happen?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

None. Bifactional races as a concept present huge story problems to me.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Every Alliance race already has plenty of neutral members, so they all fit by default. Having nuance to the storyline would probably take away some possibilities (IE: Gilnean worgen, all dwarves).

Every Horde race could potentially have counterparts in the Alliance if there was a bit more nuance to storytelling. For instance:
- Alliance backing (freethinker-led) forest trolls against Quel'thalas (which, otherwise, has been sitting quite safe, and can reinforce the other Horde factions at its leisure), or perhaps supporting the Zandalari against the Horde;
- orcs who were converted to the Light or otherwise feel humans are superior due to the camps (ala Uncle Ruckus/Durnholde Syndrome) or are members of the Flowerpicker Clan;
- goblins paid off by the Alliance, tauren who don't have battered wife syndrome;
- high elves and Alliance-sympathizing blood elves (who kept their heads down);
- and of course Alliance-sympathizing undead who have kept their mouths shut so they don't get their asses executed by the Forsaken.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Last edited by Millenia; 11-06-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
None. Bifactional races as a concept present huge story problems to me.
I think they're alright assuming they're originally written that way (like the pandaren, who aren't so much functioning as member states as they are a bunch of unaffiliated adventurers). Ethereals, for instance, would work just fine as a bifactional group.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 PM

Elune

I'd like to be able to RP a Steamwheedle Goblin without getting killed on sight in Stormwind, so that'd be nice.

The Draenei practically are neutral already, so might as well go all the way.

And I'm not exactly opposed to High Elves even if I don't particularly care for the idea.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 PM

Elune

Well, to elaborate on my picks.

High elves playable for the Alliance, I voted that, what? Well, I think the interaction between HEs and BEs actually has potential, it is just the inexplicable good fortune and power of the HEs that is making me dislike it. HEs by all rights should be weak and haggard survivors, whose primary opposition and contrast with the BEs comes from philosophical differences, not the flash of steel. The HEs are not BEs equals, they have no land and by rights should be physically and economically weak, so this dissonance between portrayal and actuality needs to stop.

Alliance trolls, unifying all trolls at once might be too much for Vol'jin as it would effectively kill the drive behind troll lore. Having the Amani join the Alliance (oh sweet, sweet irony) out of desperation or having the last Zandalari remnants go Alliance just to spite Vol'jin could have great story and political ramifications for the trolls.

Alliance orcs, as half-enslaved Azerothian (the continent) Blackrocks. Basically, Alliance rolls in and takes over the region but are still unwilling to commit a wholesale massacre of the orcs. Through coercion (possibly by holding families hostage) they make the orcs obey Alliance laws and fight for their new masters. Very interesting dynamic there, given past and present history.

Alliance undead, pretty simple actually. Some newly risen Forsaken may have rebelled and joined their former faction. Alternatively an isolated group of free willed undead (hypothetical Drisburg undead) never joined up with the Forsaken. Great way to explore the minds of the free undead and the intricacies of the Great Lordaeron Game, being played right now between humans and Forsaken.
But not everything is sunshine and puppies, they are still undead with all the myriad issues that comes with. And while officially and legally welcome to the Alliance, emotionally things are not so clear or pretty, on both sides.

Will do the same for Alliance races later.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
I think they're alright assuming they're originally written that way (like the pandaren, who aren't so much functioning as member states as they are a bunch of unaffiliated adventurers). Ethereals, for instance, would work just fine as a bifactional group.
I want to play an Alliance Worgen that's savage. Unfortunately those savage Worgen are given to the Horde so I can't be the "token savage race" that I want to play in an otherwise civilized faction, because Blizzard has hereby decreed that you can only be allowed to be savage, dark, gritty, and badass if you play Horde.

That's at least one big problem I have with it. It's another way of diluting aspects that make up the current playable races. The factions should have more racial diversity, but this isn't the way to go about it, imho.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 PM

Elune

Picked the High Elves for obvious reasons.

I went with the Draenei for the Horde because they already are "'neutral", they might as well go Horde. And if they can bring their pal Anduin with them, it would be great.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Elune

Always funny (and ironic) when people come up with stupid ideas and think of them as awesome when they also criticize Blizzard's idea's which aren't even as weird.

I mean, Horde-Draenei? Really?

So, I vote for 'No cross-faction races'-option (except for Pandaren and Ethereals and stuff). And the Draenei are still an Alliance-race!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
I mean, Horde-Draenei? Really?
By every characterization of the draenei, they would have joined the Horde if they crash-landed in the Barrens. The genocide is no big deal to them, unless it's humans doing something that remind them of it.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
By every characterization of the draenei, they would have joined the Horde if they crash-landed in the Barrens. The genocide is no big deal to them, unless it's humans doing something that remind them of it.
And where have they said that they don't mind the genocide that much? In your own head?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
It's because Velen knew that WoD would happen and that all of his race would be saved, in an alternate timeline. For the greater good, he sacrificed their existence in one timeline, to teach the orcs a lesson.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 AM

Elune

Quote:
And where have they said that they don't mind the genocide that much? In your own head?
The only mentions the genocide are:
1) In a history book (probably), which is objective;
2) In one quest that sends you to help lay some souls to rest in HFP, Alliance-side. The quest giver doesn't really say anything negative about the current orcs;
3) In the Velen story, in which the draenei smash some human skulls in;
4) TBC manual, which states that draenei are going to try to take revenge on the orcs.

Given that no draenei is actually shown to hold ill-will toward the current Horde for what the previous Horde did... #4 is what is incorrect about the current lore, not #2 and #3.

Of you can show me any evidence that the draenei hold a grudge against the current Horde for the genocide, I can probably change my mind on this.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM

Elune

Quote:
The only mentions the genocide are:
1) In a history book (probably), which is objective;
2) In one quest that sends you to help lay some souls to rest in HFP, Alliance-side. The quest giver doesn't really say anything negative about the current orcs;
3) In the Velen story, in which the draenei smash some human skulls in;
4) TBC manual, which states that draenei are going to try to take revenge on the orcs.

Given that no draenei is actually shown to hold ill-will toward the current Horde for what the previous Horde did... #4 is what is incorrect about the current lore, not #2 and #3.
Blizzard just didn't explore it, Broken Draenei for one didn't like the Orcs. At all.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Blizzard just didn't explore it, Broken Draenei for one didn't like the Orcs. At all.
Broken are as much the Holier-than-thou Draenei as the forsaken are humans.
The answer is 0.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Tags
factions, poll, races, survey