Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of these allied race combos would you prefer?
Vrykul (A)/MU Clans (H) 11 28.95%
Kul Tirans (A)/MU Clans (H) 16 42.11%
Kul Tirans (A)/AU Clans (H) 9 23.68%
Vrykul (A)/AU Clans (H) 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2018, 10:27 PM

Elune

I think a big issue is that each allied race brings new racials which then need to be learned if you are a PvPer who will go up against them and they need to be balanced and it just represents an exponentially growing hassle. Maybe it was better for allied races to be glorified customization options.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Are racials really such a big deal? I know this is just anecdotal evidence, but never in all my years of playing WOW have I regretted a race choice based on their racials.

I recently levelled a night elf monk to 110 for the heritage armour, and while I did use her racial from time to time, it never felt very impactful. Perhaps the orcish or troll racials would have been more useful, but I feel like the gains from having chosen either of those races would have been very moderate to almost negligible. (The exception being the old Every Man for Himself, but how often is the average player stunned or feared?)

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
Heritage armour could solve that problem if it was done right.
Yes and no.

Let's look at Nightborne and Ren'dorei; they look great in their heritage sets, but most other armour looks somewhat odd on them. The same, but manifold, would apply to mechagnomes. As great as they would look in their heritage set, would you always want to wear it? To have no variety?

Last edited by Nazja; 05-01-2018 at 02:23 AM..
Old 05-01-2018, 04:19 AM

Elune

As you just said, yes and no. On one hand for the vast majority of players the racials don't matter. But for those who are pushing themselves to be the very best that 1-3% difference you get from having the best racials is worth a race change. And it is also worth raising a massive stink over like how people did for Arcane Torrent recently, the troll racial back in the dino patch and Every Man for Himself (which btw I always thought was a silly racial, how heroic is it to have a racial devoted to being selfish bastards). It does add up as shown by the staggering number of human PvPers, especially during the heyday of EMfH. Also if you are cynical you can make the argument that having lots of racials serves Blizzard since people will flock to the race with the strongest racials (paying $$$) which then provokes QQ which provokes a nerf and the cycle goes on from one fotm to the next.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
As you just said, yes and no. On one hand for the vast majority of players the racials don't matter. But for those who are pushing themselves to be the very best that 1-3% difference you get from having the best racials is worth a race change. And it is also worth raising a massive stink over like how people did for Arcane Torrent recently, the troll racial back in the dino patch and Every Man for Himself (which btw I always thought was a silly racial, how heroic is it to have a racial devoted to being selfish bastards). It does add up as shown by the staggering number of human PvPers, especially during the heyday of EMfH. Also if you are cynical you can make the argument that having lots of racials serves Blizzard since people will flock to the race with the strongest racials (paying $$$) which then provokes QQ which provokes a nerf and the cycle goes on from one fotm to the next.
And makes even less sense on a race whose other racial is diplomacy.

Should have given it to blood elves.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:21 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Are racials really such a big deal? I know this is just anecdotal evidence, but never in all my years of playing WOW have I regretted a race choice based on their racials.

I recently levelled a night elf monk to 110 for the heritage armour, and while I did use her racial from time to time, it never felt very impactful. Perhaps the orcish or troll racials would have been more useful, but I feel like the gains from having chosen either of those races would have been very moderate to almost negligible. (The exception being the old Every Man for Himself, but how often is the average player stunned or feared?)

Edit:

Yes and no.

Let's look at Nightborne and Ren'dorei; they look great in their heritage sets, but most other armour looks somewhat odd on them. The same, but manifold, would apply to mechagnomes. As great as they would look in their heritage set, would you always want to wear it? To have no variety?
If you do competitive game play, racials matter to some extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
And makes even less sense on a race whose other racial is diplomacy.

Should have given it to blood elves.
Blood elves are snobs who only care for their own people, but that is exactly it, they care for their people. Goblins on the other hand...

Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Based on the dialogue reveals, Sylvanas seems to be working to recruit more undead Elves (San’layn) into the Horde....... Well obviously this means she should be assassinated immediately.

J/K. Though come to think about it..........

If we are getting proper vampires, I wonder what they bring to the table. IMHO a big part of the Vampire fantasy is shape-shifting into creatures of the Night. Balance Druid form could be Lana’thel’s transformation form. Undead Bear and Cat forms.

I wonder who they would bring in with them. Gnomes of one kind or another? Or will they go full Elven Twilight and bring in Elven Worgen?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:23 AM

If San'layn are an allied race of the Bolivar expansion that is sure to happen eventually/soon, there could be Frankenstein gnomes.

(But given that night elves or Draenei are the Alliance foil of the blood elves, night elf worgen.)

Vrykul vampires as a human allied race would also be a possibility.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:05 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
If San'layn are an allied race of the Bolivar expansion that is sure to happen eventually/soon, there could be Frankenstein gnomes.

(But given that night elves or Draenei are the Alliance foil of the blood elves, night elf worgen.)

Vrykul vampires as a human allied race would also be a possibility.
Or they could go Ulduar Mechagnomes....... or RoboGoblins. Mimiron experimented on those too. Change the proficiency bonus from alchemy to engineering, remove the Shaman class....... maybe give them some mechanical appendages.......

With Odyn being set free he might shake things up. Especially if he’s the “Lord of Ravens.”
Old 05-03-2018, 07:35 AM

Arch-Druid

I didn't before, but I suddenly have the urge to play a mechagnome.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:22 PM

Archer

They should add Grimtotem as an Alliance allied race. They’re duplicitous, morally questionable, and of uncertain loyalty with an aesthetic very distant from the group they’re part of. A pretty good mirror to the Forsaken.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 AM

Arch-Druid

Brought this over from the other thread. Seemed like the appropriate place for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ers-Gnome-Lore)

Possible gnome allied race being seeded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I hope so. It’s got some good potential. Begs 2 questions: what happened to these Gnomes and how would it change them?

Off-hand theories:
Temporal displacement - Time Gnomes, with racials that might stasis lock an enemy (or ally, or the gnome itself). I love Hearth-Stone’s Toki the Time Tinkerer. Wouldn’t mind seeing more of that.

Old God Shenanigans - Faceless Gnomes. Gnomes that look like the Spawn of N’zoth, also from Hearthstone.

Uploaded into the mainframe - we build them new mechagnome bodies. Maybe mecha-Druidic transformers? (I mean with all those new mechanimals they’ve been doing for Gnomish Hunters, why not?)

Something pulled them away from their technological prowess and turned them into Forest Gnomes.
Just a thought I had since writing my post: Faceless Gnomes might be better off resembling the Corrupted Loot Hoarder as opposed to the Spawn of N’Zoth.

I suppose their may be clues to what happened to them based on what sort of wildlife or mobs are around. For instance, Leper Gnomes can eventually devolve into ooze.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 05-04-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Old 05-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Chimaera

https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-wa...-azeroth-races
Quote:
PCGamesN: We have Dark Irons, but what about the last remaining dwarf clan, the Wildhammers?

John Hight: It's always possible, but we don't have any immediate plans to include the Wildhammer clan.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 05-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Vampire Gnomes for Allied Race
Old 05-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Quick Nathrezim Allied Race I whipped up. The Nathrezim allied race would join the Alliance ala Lightforged. The race would be split with a handful Nathrezim still practice the forbidden arts of the fel.

Alliance: Nathrezim

Classes: Warrior, Hunter, Rogue, Paladin, Priest, Mage, Warlock, Demon Hunter (?) Monk (?)

Racials: On ebon wings - Natural flight form

Lieutenants of the Legion - Former hierarchy of the Legion, magic damage increased

Customization options? Ranging from Lightforged to demonic features such as horns and even wings!

Mount: Xorothian Horse. Two types - Two Lightforged types and two demonic like

Starting location/Capital: Nathreza Court

Heritage Armor is very unique as it would come in two sets - A more void-fel like mail type of heritage armor, and a purified Lightforged Plate/Cloth set.

Racial Leader: Lothraxion
Old 05-15-2018, 06:27 AM

Arch-Druid

K, 1st of all, Melorandor, I love it.

I’m the mean time, while I’m a huge Elf fan and intend to play all 4 of the currently available branches, I do feel that we have more than enough saturation of Elves, and we really ought to have a higher ratio of other species. I can’t see the number of Elven races decreasing ever, so getting more of the races that should be more varied and more prolific. These are, by my estimation: Humans, and maybe Trolls.

There are a couple ways I can see to do this. One could pass over other races and instead double down on Races that could use more variety, and I have no doubt Blizz would have no compunction in doing this, but it would be a slight against whatever race they pass over. They could also merge further alternatives with those of other races, namely the Undead, since they are defined both one race cursed into another. I have a few ideas along these lines.

1. Humans. We really only need one more race of humans, as we technically have 2 with humans and Worgen, with Kul Tirans on the way. I would suggest the following to bring them up to at least as many as Elves:
1a. Cultists: Undead Allied Race. Old cult of the damned members. Could use the new skinny human model
1b. Burning Dead. Already posted on this, but undead animated by red dragon fire. I actually like these for the Alliance
1c. Kul Tirassians Kvaldir.

2. Trolls. They’ve already got a wide variety. I had this idea for undead Amani Trolls with Zul’jin as a racial leader. Of course this is unlikely, as I Zul’jin is unlikely to ally with any faction that has any Elves in it.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Loot Bag

Is it double-posting when the last post is over 2 months old? Is it necroing when the thread is a sticky? Anyways, possible spoilers, though the info is readily available in game.

So I’m looking at the Dungeon Journal for MOTHERLODE!, and it looks like we’re decapitating Venture Co. I could see either side trying to fill in the gap in leadership. Maybe Gazlowe of the Steamwheedle or Gallywix and the Bilgewater will do a hostile takeover. Maybe the Alliance will buy up the assets, or liberate the slaves who used to run it. My point is that we could see a new playable faction of goblins, either as a subsidiary of the Bilgewater, the Steamwheedle, or as a new entity.

Also, the dungeon revolves primarily around Azerite. Could Azerite change the goblins who mine it, just like Kajamite did so long ago.

What I’d like to see is the Hob-Goblins rise up and take over the company now that their Goblin overseers are gone, with their minds heightened by Azerite. But how would you see this turn of events create a Goblinoid Allied Race?

Tags
brace yourselves, drunk thread, eredar attaque, lordaeron is coming, races, warcraft, world of warcraft