Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Problemsolver

If you didn't have friends willing to help you out, even purchasing the normal mount skill at level 40 was a massive grind for gold. At that level most of your gold earned went to buying and upgrading your spells.

I remember fishing for Deviate fish near the Wailing Caverns, cooking them, and selling them on the AH for a couple of days straight to scrape together enough gold for the first mount and skill.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
They will probably focus on the old stuff, and not remove the flaws of the original game. I'm most certain that only the most hardcore veterans will be pleased, and that everyone else will be driven away back to the current game, on purpose.

So yeah, they are going to kill vanilla, because it was never their intention to bring it back. They want you playing the new stuff, and if you insist on going back to the past, you will go back, suffer, and then regret the experience and come back to the present.

Note that custom servers aren't just copies of the game, they had their own stuff too that made them fun. That won't happen with the official version, because again, they don't want you playing the old version.

Then when those veterans who like it and stay complain that those minor problems aren't fixed and are driving everyone else away (problems that would be easily fixed, and most custom servers did), Blizzard will just reply "that's the way it was" or some crap like that.

Mark my words. It's all a bait for old players to come and try the new stuff.

By this point I just wonder why they don't restore the vanilla version of Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor in separate map instances. It's what they should have done with Cataclysm, instead of removing all that content.
Damn you are more jaded than me and that's saying something. It seems totally unreasonable that Blizz would go through the trouble of recreating old content faithfully and setting up servers and marketing and all that only to intentionally put out a subpar product that will further ruin their name all as a giant "I told you so" spitefest.

Anyway I think Vanilla was too broken (class imbalance), too grindy and crude to be enjoyable and I'd only consider coming back if its totally free and that'll happen.
But if they implement TBC? The expansion which fixed most of the issues with Vanilla but kept the good stuff? I'd find Mike Morhaime and shove money down his throat in 5 seconds flat.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

I do not understand why people is hyped with this, the game at that time was hard to control, not in the sense of difficulty, but in the sense of gaming comfort. I would never go back to that, WoW has improved a lot as a game with the years.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I do not understand why people is hyped with this, the game at that time was hard to control, not in the sense of difficulty, but in the sense of gaming comfort. I would never go back to that, WoW has improved a lot as a game with the years.
Retail world

not farting galaxy destroyers

Old school pvp. (see no reinforcements av and 1.5 av)

more pure gameplay.

Legacy. Fun quests with great rewards

Leveling is the core part here. End game is mostly around pvp
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 12-02-2017, 01:10 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Owl Scout

Y'know Rotal, for someone who won't play classic you've spent a lot of time in this thread bellyaching about it. At some point, you're going to have to accept that there are thousands upon thousands of real people who prefer older versions of WoW. You clearly don't, so please stop posting in threads about it.

Vanilla emulation servers have been peaking at 10k+ concurrent players for years. The rose tinted glasses argument isn't just nonsense, it's rude and condescending. Many times I have resubbed to retail, only to inevitably get bored and return to a classic server.

This thread was really difficult to read because of people like yourself who are here solely to repeatedly shove your opinion in everyone's face. You don't like classic, so you can't understand the appeal. However, there are demonstrably many people who have been playing classic for 10+ years straight and have been waiting for this very moment the entire time.

There is a real and strong community of people who want an immersive, social RPG. Classic realms were announced in response to our commitment through private servers, not to try to entice outsiders like yourselves. Things like group finder and transmog are off the table because they would immediately alienate this core market for classic WoW. If you're not in that core market, then we don't need to see post after post from you talking down to us and telling us that we're wrong. Blizzard tried that for years, and they ended up eating their words.

If you have no interest or involvement with the classic game whatsoever, then please stop shoving your nose into this conversation. Some of us never stopped playing classic, we know the game like the back of our hand and we've been waiting for this moment the entire time. I cannot believe that at this point, you still have the audacity to talk about "rose tinted glasses."

Last edited by Shandris; 01-11-2018 at 05:34 PM..
Old 06-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Arch-Druid

Bump.

Finally more detailed infos.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...rcraft-classic

After careful consideration, we decided on Patch 1.12: Drums of War as our foundation, because it represents the most complete version of the classic experience.

And the database things are interesting. Quite shows how much has changed over the years.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 AM

Elune

Having played some WoW again recently (lvl 20 twinking) I think I have a new perspective on how vanilla will go.

I still think the biggest sticking point will be people realizing their favorite class or spec is totally unplayable. Oh, you like being a retribution paladin dispensing holy justice? Have fun being a disspell bot and offheal scrub, if we deign to take you on a raid at all. Wait you wanted to be a Horde pala to play with your friends? Ha ha.

The second major sticking point will be the grind, many people will rage quit when they get ganked by kobolds in the starting zone. Or when they realize it will take them months to level to 60. Or if they get that far and realize endgame is an even bigger grind. (slow gearing, attunements, resistance gear...).

And lastly QoL stuff will hurt. Some of it like Mogs, Achievements and Pet Battles are design choices most will be fine with (but then again, many will not). But a lot of it will be things you don't even think about like the improved bags and so on.
This will inevitably put Blizz in an unenviable position where they will have to disappoint either the "don't change anything ever" crowd or the legions of casuals who will be "wtf this game is unplayable."

"Fun" times ahead either way.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Yeah, but thats the stuff all the Vanilla Advocates were asking for and then have to deal with.

Also, we have to remind ourselves, this is a minimal investment by Blizzard. Sure they have to redo stuff so that things work with the modern client and the whole Anti Cheating things they have done over the years.

But it the end, this product is something that's basically already finished. They won't really lose money if things don't work out as thought.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I'm speaking for myself here, but I really do miss the slow-leveling and being unable to kill multiple mobs without getting killed when questing. I liked planning my strategies when taking on a camp of ennemies. And having only started to play a few weeks before Cataclysm, this whole thing feels like a gigantic expansion so I'm really hyped.

The only QoL Id like would be the option to toggle on the new graphics/playermodels.

Tags
classic wow, world of warcraft