Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 09:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

I always read the title as "High elf impregnation"
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 11-16-2017, 06:50 PM

Eternal

Having read both concepts, I'd be happy with both Marthen's concept and the Aethas concept.

The former I like because these are elves who actually went back to being high elves, and one could say their character has been fighting with the Alliance since the beginning.

The latter intrigues me a lot, too. It would make it more probable that Dalaran will remain Alliance. If Vereesa dies, the main opposition into them becoming Alliance is gone (well except for Jaina). If she lives, there can be amazing conflict between the two, plus an added layer of storytelling with Alleria her sister leading these ex-Sunreavers.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

If Dalaran lands in the crater and becomes Alliance i will be so happy.

It only makes sense with the Legion and Scourge defeated that people would look towards rebuilding, especially after all they have lost.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 11-22-2017, 06:25 AM

Arch-Druid

My guess on how the story will unfold:

* The void elf storyline will be similar to the krokul in Mac'aree: they've been "infected" by void and spreading the corruption. It's probably that a few reckless elves let the void spread out over a sizable population, and the blood elves, not being able to cure them, quarantaned them somewherem, like lepers.

* If this development is new or a retcon, I don't know. I think it makes more sense if these are not guys dealing with the void now, but remnants of the darker times in Quel'thalas, when the blood elves were desperate to find alternatives to the Sunwell.

* Aethas may somehow be involved. The dialog in the Vindicaar indicates he's attuning to cosmic forces. Maybe he enters in contact with the void, gets curious, and later he and some followers seek the exiles to study the void further. Things go bad and they are influenced by the whispers. This does not mean that "the Sunreavers" as a whole start dealing with the void, only Aethas and a few others.

* Aethas thus seeks Alleria (or Alleria senses the void in Quel'thalas, during the Windrunner reunion in Ghostlands). Anyway, Alleria finds the exiles and tries to help them like she did with the krokul. This time, however, she has more experience, and knows about the success of Nabiru in purging the void from afflicted krokul (questline in Mac'aree to get void-purged troops)

* Like the Void-purged Krokul, the void elves are not masters of void magic (or else they'd be a class, not a race), but they are purged off the void influence, with lingering void energies (read the Void-purged Krokul description). This leaves them changed, but sane.

* About the Silver Covenant, I think Alleria is able to convince Vereesa (if she dies, it will be later) to help the void elves recover. The high elves may be wary of the void elves, but would tolerate them. They'd play a role similar to non-cursed guilneans play to worgen: they are not playable, but would be frequently be keeping an eye on their void-touched kin.

* I don't really see Silver Covenant or other high elves going back to Horde just because of void elves or, worse yet, Vereesa's supposed death. If anything, they'd just stay away from the void elves, if the above cooperation angle ends up not being true. I think the cooperation hypothesis is good because, by adding both races' together, you have more characters (and population) available. Also, by keeping high elves present, it makes high elf fans more likely to accept the void elves.

* With the void elves now available, I really doubt high elves will ever be playable. That ship has finally sunk. At most, we will have a few void elf customization options that remind of high elves, but are still different.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

The High Elves will all be in Darnassus becausw the Sentinels will be out trying to waylay the Horde, guerilla style.

High Elves get burnt. RIP High Elves.

Meanwhile, Night Elves are mostly fine, striking from the shadows where rhey can.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
At most, we will have a few void elf customization options that remind of high elves, but are still different.
Just my personal opinion and something I might be completely wrong about, but I expect the race to have a significant array of High Elf-esque customization options (as in skin and hair colors, not necessarily hairstyles, which are identical to those of the Blood Elves). After all, they already seem to have blue glowing eyes already(which is one of the reasons why I presume these elves splintered off Silvermoon before Rommath's teaching had taken hold - and thus before Silvermoon became part of the Horde), so all you need to make them look like one are pale skin and hair colors.

Why? Because it feels to me like a typical attempt to kill two birds with one stone, ie an attempt to give those who want playable High Elves something at least rather close visually while making something new and avoiding the pitfalls of the traditional High Elves (not bringing anything new, being literally Blood Elf reskins, and so on) at the same time.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:25 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Just my personal opinion and something I might be completely wrong about, but I expect the race to have a significant array of High Elf-esque customization options (as in skin and hair colors, not necessarily hairstyles, which are identical to those of the Blood Elves).
Just a small note here: it seems Blizzard wants all allied races to have different customization options than the race they are based off. Lightforged draenei do not share the hairstyles of standard draenei, and so far it seems to be true for the void elves.

The two hairstyles we see in the preview are not available to the blood elves (thought the female one is just the blood elf ponytail style, without the ponytail).

In that vein, I hope void elves get hairstyles that are a little more unkempt than blood elves'. I really dislike how all female belf styles look like the character is going to a high society party or something. I would like to see more casual styles. Or, like Alleria, they get styles full of braids and ore natural adorns (Alleria has feathers on her hair).

Another thing is that void elves will probably get one or two new customization categories. I'd love to see them get markings such as Alleria's warpaint or night elf-like facial tatoos.

Quote:
After all, they already seem to have blue glowing eyes already(which is one of the reasons why I presume these elves splintered off Silvermoon before Rommath's teaching had taken hold - and thus before Silvermoon became part of the Horde), so all you need to make them look like one are pale skin and hair colors.
Their eyes are more akin to a death knight's than a standard high elf.

Quote:
Why? Because it feels to me like a typical attempt to kill two birds with one stone, ie an attempt to give those who want playable High Elves something at least rather close visually while making something new and avoiding the pitfalls of the traditional High Elves (not bringing anything new, being literally Blood Elf reskins, and so on) at the same time.
I agree with that, but I think there will be more options that deviate from standard high elf look than ones that conform to it.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:40 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Just a small note here: it seems Blizzard wants all allied races to have different customization options than the race they are based off. Lightforged draenei do not share the hairstyles of standard draenei, and so far it seems to be true for the void elves.
That was my point, that while they may get skin and hair colors we see with High Elves in-game (or similar), they won't necessarily get the same hairstyles, as these tend to be identical to those Blood Elves in-game have.

Quote:
Their eyes are more akin to a death knight's than a standard high elf.
They seem more like the eyes Alleria has to me. Ie something I would call a HD rendition of the High Elf eyes (as the eyes they have in-game seem to be quite lackluster - males still even have the Blood Elf green tint).

Quote:
I agree with that, but I think there will be more options that deviate from standard high elf look than ones that conform to it.
That is likely, although I expect at least a third that will be more traditional.

Last edited by Marthen; 11-22-2017 at 07:46 AM..
Old 11-23-2017, 09:53 AM

Eternal

Males better have beard options.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
They seem more like the eyes Alleria has to me. Ie something I would call a HD rendition of the High Elf eyes (as the eyes they have in-game seem to be quite lackluster - males still even have the Blood Elf green tint)

They look more like DK's to me, but I may be wrong.

Also, that Alleria hair... braid, feather ornament... That's the kind of thing I want to see! Not to mention the warpaint/tatoo/whatever.

Quote:
That is likely, although I expect at least a third that will be more traditional.
I hope you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Males better have beard options.
I share this sentiment. At least magnificent bastard full goatees!

Old 11-25-2017, 11:13 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I don’t need to see dozens of posts about high elves. Should they be playable? Should they be different from the blood elves? How? Are allied races the way to get them, or should we wait for something larger?
blue eye color for the blood elves
Old 11-25-2017, 05:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Here's what I mean when I say void elves will get a few "normal-ish" skins (original/modified by my underwhelming noobish skills):

Old 11-26-2017, 12:17 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

That could work. It would satisfy the want for High Elves. Despite seeing Blizzard just capitulating and just out right making High Elves a playable Allied Race along with Void Elves.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:58 PM

Arch-Druid

I made a few more takes on void elf skins. Going both for exotic and normal-ish. The first to the left is the original one, the others are mine. I particularly like the third and fifth ones.

To me, the Blizzard one is the weakest. Very little contrast between color tones, feels dead. Even my versions of the blue skins (2nd and 4th ones) feel better, at least to me.

Last edited by Deicide; 11-26-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 04:49 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

This is not your personal blog, please dont.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 PM

Sentinel Queen

Those look great, Deicide. The darker color on the hands is a lot less jarring with the flesh colored ones. I’m hoping we get something similar to your edits because right now it’s looking like we’re getting tiny, angry night elves.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:38 AM

Eternal

Awesome, Deicide! If they add that, and we get most of the blood elf hair and beard styles, I'll be set and won't ever ask for high elves again.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Those look great, Deicide. The darker color on the hands is a lot less jarring with the flesh colored ones. I’m hoping we get something similar to your edits because right now it’s looking like we’re getting tiny, angry night elves.
Quote:
flesh colored
I will punch you for your microagression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:07 AM

Arch-Druid

What they sold us / what we got:

After confirming my worst fears with the PTR, this void elf mess really let me down. I'm seriously considering to take a break off Warcraft after that. The only time I considered stop my subscription was WoD announcement, and yet I endured the worst expansion ever. This time, however, instead of just being a bad product, it felt like being insulted and slapped in the face.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:44 AM

Eternal

Quote:
After confirming my worst fears with the PTR
I'm seriously considering to take a break off Warcraft after that.
The only time I considered stop my subscription was WoD announcement, and yet I endured the worst expansion ever.
it felt like being insulted and slapped in the face.
JFC, High Elf fanboys are something else.

Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

Faction war can be done well, but Blizzard has half assed it and it has predictably flopped as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
It's not that wierd, it's just a fancy name for regular fisting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Well when you put it that way the Alliance has had plenty of fist-pumping moments lately.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
JFC, High Elf fanboys are something else.
The Warcraft I fell in love with, 21 years ago, was a very different world.

I've endured the years of lore contrivances, storylines that go nowhere, retcons, ret-retcons, lore mishaps, dumb decisions and everything else. Every single thing I liked about Warcraft, from the Seven nations, diverse orc clans, gritty fantasy, interesting villains and a lot more, has since gone to dust.

The world I cared about is frozen in time, doomed to never get the focus again. It was replaced by spaceships, dumb demonic armies, time-traveling orcs, a war that endures just because it needs to endure and new islands full of new different flavored furries each expansion.

This void elf mess is very close to be the last straw. The only thing still holding me is nostalgia and routine.

Blizzard is not doing me any favors. I'm the one paying to play this game. So, since it's clear I'm not their intended audience and they have no interest in trying to reach a compromise, I'm very close to giving up. There's still almost two months left in my paid subscription. If I find no reason to keep interested in WoW by then, I'll just stop playing.

All I always cared for was the lore anyway. YouTube provides me that free of charge.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:56 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

The WoWHead PTR page only shows three skin color options.

Just fucking chill and wait already. You're sounding like a child.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:06 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
The WoWHead PTR page only shows three skin color options.

Just fucking chill and wait already. You're sounding like a child.
I'm pretty sure people thought the same thing when I was bashing WoD as early as the leaks started coming out.

I know the story already, and it's dumb as hell, with a NPC named "Umbric" (did they spend more than ten seconds to come with that name?).

Why would I expect anything other than variations of what they presented? It's their job to advertise their product. I don't need to pay for something I don't like.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:15 PM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Quote:
The Warcraft I fell in love with, 21 years ago, was a very different world.

I've endured the years of lore contrivances, storylines that go nowhere, retcons, ret-retcons, lore mishaps, dumb decisions and everything else. Every single thing I liked about Warcraft, from the Seven nations, diverse orc clans, gritty fantasy, interesting villains and a lot more, has since gone to dust.

The world I cared about is frozen in time, doomed to never get the focus again. It was replaced by spaceships, dumb demonic armies, time-traveling orcs, a war that endures just because it needs to endure and new islands full of new different flavored furries each expansion.

This void elf mess is very close to be the last straw. The only thing still holding me is nostalgia and routine.

Blizzard is not doing me any favors. I'm the one paying to play this game. So, since it's clear I'm not their intended audience and they have no interest in trying to reach a compromise, I'm very close to giving up. There's still almost two months left in my paid subscription. If I find no reason to keep interested in WoW by then, I'll just stop playing.

All I always cared for was the lore anyway. YouTube provides me that free of charge.
This do not remove the High Elf implementation. Now it's closer with the implementation of Allied Races. We will continue asking for them.

Umbric has a reminiscence to shadow, as it derives from latin Umbra (shadow). Blizzard does that kind of naming of characters a lot, aiming for subconcient identification with some valors.

Last edited by Hades; 12-01-2017 at 02:18 PM..
Old 12-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Sentinel Queen

@Noit I deserve it

Quote:
What they sold us / what we got:

[img]

After confirming my worst fears with the PTR, this void elf mess really let me down. I'm seriously considering to take a break off Warcraft after that. The only time I considered stop my subscription was WoD announcement, and yet I endured the worst expansion ever. This time, however, instead of just being a bad product, it felt like being insulted and slapped in the face.
It's funny that they wanted to remove the void elves far from the high/blood elves and ended up with night elf skin tones.

I'm fine with void elves as a concept en lieu of high elves. I just wish there were less.. extreme customization options. One tan or brown skin tone option wouldn't have broken the damn game.

Tags
knife-ears, world of warcraft