Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,065

Default Unlockable customization ideas

8.0 gave us golden eyed blood elves and straight back orc options.
8.1 now introduced night warrior skin for nights elves. Unlike the previous examples, this one is unlocked through questing.

So, here are some suggestions for extra customization that that could be unlocked through special quests. Just like night warrior, the quests are not race-locked. You can do the questline with any character, and the options are enabled for your account.

Questline: Help the Wildhammer clan defend their home in Aerie Peak.
Reward: Wildhammer skins + a Wildhammer transmog.

Questline: Bring the Dark Horde clans back to the Horde.
Reward: Blackrock (Azeroth), Dragonmaw and fel-red skins for normal orcs, and alternate recolor grunt armor (from WoD).

Questline: Help secure Quel'danil as a new home for the united thalassian exiles (high and void elves).
Reward: High elf-like skins and hair colors for void elves, for the new recruits that weren’t transformed via Ethereal meddling. Plus, a new small town for Alliance.

Questline: Help Jevan Grimtotem and his kin repel Magatha’s loyalists.
Reward: Grimtotem skins for tauren, plus alternate color for tauren heritage armor (if you have unlocked the original color).

Questline: Stop an Alliance elven operation on Suramar.
Reward: Golden jewelry options for nightborne, plus alternate red-and-gold nightborne heritage armor (for those who unlocked the original color).

Questline: Defend the council of human kings (Danath, Jaina, Genn and Anduin) from Horde assassins.
Reward: Unlock the Human Potential. (New awesome beards for humans, and kul tiran, stromgardian and gilnean voice/emote sets for humans, and black, green and red variations of the transmog footman armor from WoD).

I was trying to think of a questline for the Mag'har to get their own hub, but I couldn't think neither of a proper place nor of any other customization to go along with it. Another idea was to make the Darkspear conquer other small tribes of trolls to unlock ice, frost, desert and forest skin variants, and maybe more tusks/facepaint variants.

Any other suggestions?
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Ethenil Ethenil is offline

Eternal
Ethenil's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,620

Default

I like every single one of your suggestions, especially the human and high elven ones. I also like the implications that Danath is now officially King of Stromgarde. His coronation could be a nice in-game event.
__________________
Daelin was right.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 PM
Ujimasa Hojo Ujimasa Hojo is online now

Eternal
Ujimasa Hojo's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 4,162

Default

What about that supposedly leak regarding Undead skins for Night and Blood Elves?
__________________




Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2018, 02:58 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
What about that supposedly leak regarding Undead skins for Night and Blood Elves?
Leak? I don't know of any leak. Or are you talking about one of the recent interviews, in which the developer answered about that idea?

For now, I'm thinking this may signify a new hero class incoming, as Blizzard just made a way so Dark Rangers can exist in both factions... But it may be just wild guess right now.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 AM
Insane Guy of Doom Insane Guy of Doom is offline

Time-Lost Proto Nerd
Insane Guy of Doom's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,955

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Leak? I don't know of any leak. Or are you talking about one of the recent interviews, in which the developer answered about that idea?

For now, I'm thinking this may signify a new hero class incoming, as Blizzard just made a way so Dark Rangers can exist in both factions... But it may be just wild guess right now.
There's a leak that's been going around the discord that, among other things, said that the night elf Forsaken will betray Sylvanas and go back to the Alliance as part of a questline that unlocks Dark Ranger skins for blood and night elves.

Speaking of other customization ideas, maybe draenei could get a permanently visible gift of the naaru rune like the Lightforged have (though with a different color and design of course).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2018, 05:05 AM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,978
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

We all know any of this stuff would be gated behind months of rep grinding followed by achievement farming rather than "just do a quest".
__________________
"Forgetting is like a wound. The wound may heal but it has already left a scar."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-13-2018, 05:16 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
There's a leak that's been going around the discord that, among other things, said that the night elf Forsaken will betray Sylvanas and go back to the Alliance as part of a questline that unlocks Dark Ranger skins for blood and night elves.
I think undead skins would be weird for the regular races. Specially if you can go paladin or druid with them. I'm skeptical of it.

Quote:
Speaking of other customization ideas, maybe draenei could get a permanently visible gift of the naaru rune like the Lightforged have (though with a different color and design of course).
I'd like to give them something more, but I can't think of anything else.

(Another thing I'd like to see is a mag'har vs draenei story.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
We all know any of this stuff would be gated behind months of rep grinding followed by achievement farming rather than "just do a quest".
I'm basing those on the night warrior customization, which is just to do a questline.

Obviously, all these quests/rewards wouldn't come at once. Maybe one or two per patch. And it's questlines, not just quests, so there would be some progression towards it, but no need for exalted reputations or whatever.

(On the other hand, having customization being buyable at Exalted from the rep vendor wouldn't be a bad idea to make reputations more worthwhile).
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 11-13-2018 at 05:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2018, 05:30 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,194

Default

I kinda wish that race-class combinations were unlockable this way. You want a goblin monk? Or draenei warlock? Grind the reputation and do associated questlines. It's something that would open up the possibilities for odd combos but still not necessarily be as lore breaking as it entails the idea that this represents individuals going out of their way to break the cultural norms implied by the standard options.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,823

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
There's a leak that's been going around the discord that, among other things, said that the night elf Forsaken will betray Sylvanas and go back to the Alliance as part of a questline that unlocks Dark Ranger skins for blood and night elves.

Speaking of other customization ideas, maybe draenei could get a permanently visible gift of the naaru rune like the Lightforged have (though with a different color and design of course).
The leak in question actually spoke of these skins as an experiment for unique aesthetics for specific race and class combos (in this case blood elf and night elf hunters and maybe rogues). Ie these Dark Ranger skins, if unlocked, would be available only to blood elf and night elf hunters and maybe rogues, not other classes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Ujimasa Hojo Ujimasa Hojo is online now

Eternal
Ujimasa Hojo's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 4,162

Default

Sheesh. Aren't Night Elf and Blood Elf Demon Hunters enough? Throw other races a bone or something.

The events of the Darkshore quests in 8.1 are setting up future lore and stories for the Night Elves.


Wonder if this statement takes into account the Undead Night Elves.
__________________




Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.

Last edited by Ujimasa Hojo; 11-13-2018 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,194

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Questline: Help secure Quel'danil as a new home for the united thalassian exiles (high and void elves).
Reward: High elf-like skins and hair colors for void elves, for the new recruits that weren’t transformed via Ethereal meddling. Plus, a new small town for Alliance.
Hahaha. No. You can do your High Elf RP in Dalaran or the Hinterlands.

And Mag'har orcs can just do their RP practically anywhere: Orgrimmar, Draenor, Outland, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Sheesh. Aren't Night Elf and Blood Elf Demon Hunters enough? Throw other races a bone or something.
Kinda agree.

One interesting point about Night Warriors is that it means that our ideas need not be limited to preexisting lore cultural variations. So Darkspear trolls could have expanded options, for example, of "Loa-empowered" Darkspear trolls that give their eyes a glow or provide a Lightforged-like sigil. And it could even simply be something more of a minor cosmetic bonus. For example, doing a quest/rep to unlock tattoos or warpaint options for orcs, particularly with clan symbols.

Dwarves: Help Magni in his communing with the titan spirit of Azeroth. Unlock Diamond or Azerite Blue skins for when you use your Stoneform racial.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Hahaha. No. You can do your High Elf RP in Dalaran or the Hinterlands.

And Mag'har orcs can just do their RP practically anywhere: Orgrimmar, Draenor, Outland, etc.
I just meant to turn Quel’danil into a town, nothing too fancy. These small storylines are perfect to advance racial stories that would otherwise not happen.

After void elves (and LF draenei), mag’har also need some story advancement. Ok, they arrived in Azeroth and...? It’s not just for RP, but for lore and to setup further stories.

Quote:
One interesting point about Night Warriors is that it means that our ideas need not be limited to preexisting lore cultural variations. So Darkspear trolls could have expanded options, for example, of "Loa-empowered" Darkspear trolls that give their eyes a glow or provide a Lightforged-like sigil. And it could even simply be something more of a minor cosmetic bonus. For example, doing a quest/rep to unlock tattoos or warpaint options for orcs, particularly with clan symbols.

Dwarves: Help Magni in his communing with the titan spirit of Azeroth. Unlock Diamond or Azerite Blue skins for when you use your Stoneform racial.
I’m all for new ideas, but lore-establisehd things players have wanted for years should be considered as well.

Also, it’s easier to get people to agree with sugestions when they are based on things that are already popular. Blizzard has the power to make new lore as needed, but I don’t. So I stick to obvious possibilities.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,194

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I’m all for new ideas, but lore-establisehd things players have wanted for years should be considered as well.
...which you clearly have considered in your OP.

Quote:
Also, it’s easier to get people to agree with sugestions when they are based on things that are already popular. Blizzard has the power to make new lore as needed, but I don’t. So I stick to obvious possibilities.
Understandable.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Sa'danak Sa'danak is offline

Arch-Druid
Sa'danak's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,974
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Default

I'd say the old lack of longbraided beards for Darkspear would fit here. Hell most trolls in general seem like they can grow some form of it. After all, its all over their concept art and almost every troll with a unique model seems to get some form of it.

But I wouldn't even know where to begin working a lore angle for suddenly having them. Im guessing a quest line about teaching trolls at large that they don't have to shave is a bit too on the nose even with the current writing team...

Last edited by Sa'danak; 11-14-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
I'd say the old lack of longbraided beards for Darkspear would fit here. Hell most trolls in general seem like they can grow some form of it. After all, its all over their concept art and almost every troll with a unique model seems to get some form of it.

But I wouldn't even know where to begin working a lore angle for suddenly having them. Im guessing a quest line about teaching trolls at large that they don't have to shave is a bit too on the nose even with the current writing team...
I don't think there's any need of a lore justification. Just do it like "the human potential" joke I made above: saving human kings makes you grow awesome new beards. Just make a troll questline and give facial hair as a reward.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:57 PM
Melorandor Melorandor is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Melorandor's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 636
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Default

I got one, still hoping for it to be an allied race.

Questline: The Pack Calls - Just like the easter egg with the Scythe of Elune in Val'sharah. You are now tasked to gathering the freed former pack members in Val'sharah and gather them to relieve the Night Elves in Kalimdor.

Rewards: New customization option for Worgen such as tattoos/war paint, and even Kaldorei two forms option. A new haven for Night Elves in Val'sharah

Questline: The Dark Lady's Gift - Rescue and support the Forsaken forces in Silverpine Forest as the Gilnean combined Alliance army marches from Gilneas.

Rewards: Nathanos inspired Human models for Forsaken players + Forsaken Heritage armor.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Arch-Druid
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,495

Default

I love this idea! And yes, this actually seems like a way to get High Elves in game that is plausible.

I would say that these quests should make as much sense for players getting changes made at a barber shop as it does for players newly made. So, switching back and forth between being undead, or being an undead orc as opposed to an undead human might strain credulity.

A quest line where you help purify Void Elves who got in a little too deep, bringing them back to high/Blood Elf skin tones, but they still have enough knowledge of the Void for their racials.

I’ll think of more later.

EDIT: it’s later.
We go in a mission with Jorin Deadeye, unlocking built in eye-patches for Orcish characters.

We delve deep into Gnomeregan, learning the secrets of radiation to free the city and unlock leper Gnome customization.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 11-15-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Ujimasa Hojo Ujimasa Hojo is online now

Eternal
Ujimasa Hojo's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 4,162

Default

There needs to be Forest Trolls vs. Wildhammer Dwarves in Aerie Peak.
__________________




Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
There needs to be Forest Trolls vs. Wildhammer Dwarves in Aerie Peak.
I could see the Wildhammer and Void elf ideas being a mini-campaign in Hinterlands against the Horde. Horde-version could give something to Trolls and/or Undead, maybe.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-16-2018, 03:20 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,070

Default

Not only do I support this I already think that some allied races (highmountain, lightforged, mag'har and maybe DI) should have been unlockable customizations.

And ofc blue eyes will be a blood elf customization
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-16-2018, 04:27 AM
Ujimasa Hojo Ujimasa Hojo is online now

Eternal
Ujimasa Hojo's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 4,162

Default

Allied races do get extra perks such as different classes available, racial capital, and different racials. Determining which should be allied races or which should just be skin customization can be problematic though.
__________________




Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Not only do I support this I already think that some allied races (highmountain, lightforged, mag'har and maybe DI) should have been unlockable customizations.

And ofc blue eyes will be a blood elf customization
You can have blue eyed blood elves after Alliance get high elves. Before that, it’ll just cause chaos in the comunity.

As for what should be customization... I only really agree with lightforged. A normal draenei should be able to achieve that status. I see no reason why it’s a separate race, they don’t have unique classes, their “town” is not a town, and their population is dependent on draenei’s.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-17-2018, 03:47 AM
Sa'danak Sa'danak is offline

Arch-Druid
Sa'danak's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,974
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Not only do I support this I already think that some allied races (highmountain, lightforged, mag'har and maybe DI) should have been unlockable customizations.

And ofc blue eyes will be a blood elf customization
This debate will likely never go away as everyone has a different idea on whats enough for its own selection.

Personally, I used to think the same way but after seeing all the extras that Blizzard has put together to go along with them being classified as its own thing my mind has changed. I feel that the heritage armour, racials and distinct factional areas (such as the Nighthold for Nightborne) go a long way to making them stand apart and for actual genuine worldbuilding too, something Blizzard does not put nearly as much effort into these days as compared to what they used to.

I'd also argue that with them being treated seperately they're also getting a lot more focus than they would if they were just customisation levels for their parent race, particularly so when the parent race doesnt get much lore as is. Take the Highmountain for example, I doubt we'd ever see them treated distinctly from other Tauren. Now we have a whole questline and afterwards precense in Org and quests setting them apart.

High Elves are a different kettle of fish though. They won't be Alliance, people need to accept that that's what void elves were. Even as distinct as they could be with tattoes the changes from high to blood are too skin-deep when compared to the other controversial allied races. Even lightforged have at least SOME physical changes.
I don't agree with just making them a customisation for Blood elves though. That'll just get all the ire with none of the benefits.

I honestly think they should just bite the bullet and do a major questline to make them a proper Allied race for blood elves. Go whole-hog, do a perfect implementation with ranger tattoos etc, tank the backlash one last time and close the door on this shit for good. Keep Alleria Alliance for the Void Elves as a compromise and most would accept the compromise eventually if they were done well.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-17-2018, 05:05 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,783

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
I honestly think they should just bite the bullet and do a major questline to make them a proper Allied race for blood elves. Go whole-hog, do a perfect implementation with ranger tattoos etc, tank the backlash one last time and close the door on this shit for good. Keep Alleria Alliance for the Void Elves as a compromise and most would accept the compromise eventually if they were done well.
I doubt that'll happen.

It sounds incredibly petty to give the Horde customization options/a race that not only has been a part of the Alliance since the second war and but also (some very vocal) Alliance players have been asking for for years.

Not to mention that high elves and blood elf renegades have been seen studying the void at the Telogrus Rift.

It seems to me that the most sensible solution is to just give void elves a few extra skin colours and possibly tattoos, since they are the only allied race (besides Kul Tirans) who do not have them.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
I honestly think they should just bite the bullet and do a major questline to make them a proper Allied race for blood elves. Go whole-hog, do a perfect implementation with ranger tattoos etc, tank the backlash one last time and close the door on this shit for good. Keep Alleria Alliance for the Void Elves as a compromise and most would accept the compromise eventually if they were done well.
No, just no. If they can be a full-fledged allied race on the Horde, they can be on the Alliance as well.

If high elves can't be playable, then Blizzard needs to do the next best thing and merge them, their themes and aesthetics into the void elves. Either turn high elves into void elves somehow or make both races work together in a gilnean/worgen manner, in which they are closely related and lore-linked.

Blizzard could have ended this debate already if it had properly developed the void elves and minded the high elf fans' expectations into their lore. The asinine addition of a lore-poor race in place of a much beloved and requested race was what sparked the forum fires. The high elf threads in the official forums have been going on for almost the entire year. We don't need to make it worse.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.