Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 07-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Goddamn, that's horrifying. How can they justify that?
Strikes in cities like Raqqa and this EO being gone (I think).
This is also a campaign promise, though. Don't forget.
"I love war."
"I would bomb the SHIT out of 'em!"
"The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families. They care about their lives, don't kid yourself. When they say they don't care about their lives, you have to take out their families."

Last edited by Kakwakas; 07-17-2017 at 06:25 PM..
Old 07-18-2017, 08:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Goddamn, that's horrifying. How can they justify that?
ISIS itself killed 18,800 people from 1 January 2014 through 31 October 2015 according to a UN report.

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Count...ctober2015.pdf

Now calculating the deaths in such a conflict is very difficult. The Independent despite what it looks like is not owned by a Brit. It is own by a Russian oligarchs named Alexander Lebedev. AirWars methodology conflicts with some other agencies but here is how they calculate civilian deaths. Here is same UN source I used that calculates all civilian deaths in Iraq up til now. You don't have to trust the coalition but they list their own methodology and report must less casualties than AirWars but the rate under Trump is still higher. IraqBodyCount is another. There needs to be more of a substantial reason than agreeing with one more than the other than to make this specific point. Everyone has varying degrees of bias and ability to accurately track this information.

The prior strategy wasn't really working to stop ISIS so you had Obama's air strike casualties and all the deaths caused by an advancing ISIS. Neville Chamberlain doesn't get to blame Winston Churchil for all the deaths caused during WWII because the later decided to push against Nazi Germany which British Force played a greater part in after Churchil committed to taking back Europe. Waiting for Nazi Germany to control most of Europe and because of the hesitation along with the divestment in the armed forces caused WWII to be more deadly and more costly than every other war that followed it for the UK and US.

A lot of the casualties are much higher because ISIS has taken major cities and is using the humans as shields. According to the Laws of Armed Conflict people that conduct military operations in the vicinity of civilians are committing war crimes and not the attacker. The reason for that is that is more civilians will die when terrorist groups use that sort of strategy and their attackers simply let them attack or expand than if they attempted to remove them. We have come a long way from the carpet bombing of WWII but even million dollar laser and satellite guided munitions and advances in intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance still kill civilians and it is a tragedy. The risk of inaction simple can't be discounted here. It is part of the utilitarian calculation being made and no serious person can just pretend that ISIS's killings or their advances that make it harder for someone else to stop don't contribute to the violence.

General Mattis just doesn't want to kill more people because he is a psychopath. He believes that simply prolonging the war is the much worse alternative when it comes to the loss of human life. We have to remember how ISIS was able to become entrenched into the large cities in the first place and that is due to prior decisions made. People can argue with that if they want but there is no dichotomy here between people that want to save civilians and people who don't. The real world is a lot more complicated than that.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Elune

Looks like the 8th person in the recently-revealed meeting Jr was in has been revealed to be Irakly Kaveladze, a Russian-American VP of real estate & financing at Crocus. He has also been suspected of money laundering before.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...e83_story.html
Here's an article from back in March where he brags about how connected he is to that family.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkir.../#21f2582669b3
Did our president sell us out to a foreign power to build another one of his tower's in Russia like he has said he has always wanted to do? Why didn't the "transparent" member of the family tell us about this guy?

[edit] In other news, do you remember this?
"Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart —you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you’re a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us."
He just signed off on the Iran deal anyway, thankfully.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...recertify.html
Apparently it took an hour of him telling Mattis, McMaster, and Dunford that he didn't want to before they could finally convince him otherwise. Like when you have a toddler who needs to put his shoes on so you can go somewhere but he keeps crying "I don't wanna!"

[edit2]
I assume this is the revenue plan for when they get rid of taxes for the rich.

Last edited by Kakwakas; 07-19-2017 at 11:32 AM..
Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 PM

World Builder

So apparently Free Speech is a thing unless it's folks right to protest Israel, folks want to make it a felony to support the Israrl boycott

250k fine

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
So apparently Free Speech is a thing unless it's folks right to protest Israel, folks want to make it a felony to support the Israrl boycott

250k fine
Hopefully the bills don't pass then and if they do the Supreme Court strikes it down.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1697

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...t%22%5D%7D&r=1

If it is these bills it looks like they were introduced months ago and never voted on.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 PM

Elune

Looks like the reason why McCain was acting kind of odd on occasion lately is brain cancer. :<
http://myfox8.com/2017/07/19/patholo...-brain-cancer/
Old 07-19-2017, 10:22 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
ISIS itself killed 18,800 people from 1 January 2014 through 31 October 2015 according to a UN report.

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Count...ctober2015.pdf

Now calculating the deaths in such a conflict is very difficult. The Independent despite what it looks like is not owned by a Brit. It is own by a Russian oligarchs named Alexander Lebedev. AirWars methodology conflicts with some other agencies but here is how they calculate civilian deaths. Here is same UN source I used that calculates all civilian deaths in Iraq up til now. You don't have to trust the coalition but they list their own methodology and report must less casualties than AirWars but the rate under Trump is still higher. IraqBodyCount is another. There needs to be more of a substantial reason than agreeing with one more than the other than to make this specific point. Everyone has varying degrees of bias and ability to accurately track this information.

The prior strategy wasn't really working to stop ISIS so you had Obama's air strike casualties and all the deaths caused by an advancing ISIS. Neville Chamberlain doesn't get to blame Winston Churchil for all the deaths caused during WWII because the later decided to push against Nazi Germany which British Force played a greater part in after Churchil committed to taking back Europe. Waiting for Nazi Germany to control most of Europe and because of the hesitation along with the divestment in the armed forces caused WWII to be more deadly and more costly than every other war that followed it for the UK and US.

A lot of the casualties are much higher because ISIS has taken major cities and is using the humans as shields. According to the Laws of Armed Conflict people that conduct military operations in the vicinity of civilians are committing war crimes and not the attacker. The reason for that is that is more civilians will die when terrorist groups use that sort of strategy and their attackers simply let them attack or expand than if they attempted to remove them. We have come a long way from the carpet bombing of WWII but even million dollar laser and satellite guided munitions and advances in intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance still kill civilians and it is a tragedy. The risk of inaction simple can't be discounted here. It is part of the utilitarian calculation being made and no serious person can just pretend that ISIS's killings or their advances that make it harder for someone else to stop don't contribute to the violence.

General Mattis just doesn't want to kill more people because he is a psychopath. He believes that simply prolonging the war is the much worse alternative when it comes to the loss of human life. We have to remember how ISIS was able to become entrenched into the large cities in the first place and that is due to prior decisions made. People can argue with that if they want but there is no dichotomy here between people that want to save civilians and people who don't. The real world is a lot more complicated than that.
Trump ain't churchill. hell felonious flynn sabotaged the fight against isis by reneging on a deal to arm the kurds (who were fighting isis).

Sad to hear about mccain. Brain cancer is a cruel way to go and i'd take him over others.

On the other hand, Republicans are displaying shocking incompetence. They control almost all branches yet they've barely got shit done. Their repeal failed miserably, and they know their followers will eat them alive.

Farron Counsins was right. Republicans SUCK at leading. Democrats suck at winning, Republicans suck at leading.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 PM

Elune

So, conservatives keep saying that all this talking and collusion with Russians is no big deal. If it's no big deal, why do they all keep lying about it?
If there's nothing there, why haven't these people in this administration just come forward honestly and been upfront about all their contact with Russians from the start? They only seem to admit anything after they've been caught.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/u...ns-russia.html
"Mr. Trump said Mr. Mueller was running an office rife with conflicts of interest and warned that investigators would cross a red line if they delve into Trump family finances unrelated to Russia."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/b...T.nav=top-news
"Banking regulators are reviewing hundreds of millions of dollars in loans made to Mr. Trump's businesses through Deutsche Bank's private wealth management unit....
Separately, Deutsche Bank has been in contact with federal investigators about the Trump accounts, according to people briefed on the matter. And the bank is expecting to eventually have to provide information to Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel overseeing the federal investigation into the Trump campaign's ties to Russia."
Gettin' spicy.

Last edited by Kakwakas; Yesterday at 12:04 AM..
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Elune

The repeal failed in the senate where two defections will kill any bill because the Democrats have universal opposition. 25 of these Democrats will be running for reelection in 2018, 10 of which are in states Trump won. My Republican senator won in 2016 and it is the Democratic one up for reelection in 2018 who won by sheer luck last time. I am hoping that election gives them more breathing room to pass what their constituents have been asking for.

Some of the Republicans defected because they didn't think the bill did enough. I agree with the substance of what Rand Paul was saying with the bill still giving tax payer money to insurance companies and keeps the harmful regulations in. PPACA premiums and deductibles have gone up so much over the years that a lot of people have health insurance that they can't even effectively use. Trump already directed his agencies to alleviate the burden caused by the bill so the individual mandate isn't really enforced now so that trend will intensify. It is a really half-assed way to undo the bill.

There were able to get defense spending increases without increasing domestic spending so that was a win. A lot of regulations were scaled back from the Washington DC bureaucracy. A significant amount of judges were appointed including a supreme court judge.

The spending cuts will always be the hardest things to get done because there are so many vested interests. People that receive government money will always fight to keep it regardless of whether or not it is good for the nation. That will probably take more senators in 2018. I think tax reform will be possible coming up soon.
Old Today, 01:02 PM

Elune

The president is trying to figure out if he can pardon himself.
Old Today, 01:08 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
The president is trying to figure out if he can pardon himself.
So he admits he's guilty?
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old Today, 01:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
So he admits he's guilty?
I can't find a direct source where he is looking to pardon himself. It sounds like hearsay.
Old Today, 01:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
I can't find a direct source where he is looking to pardon himself. It sounds like hearsay.
Just like Jr's meeting with Russians is hearsay and fake news, right?

Last edited by Kakwakas; Today at 01:46 PM..

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president