Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > Hearthstone / Heroes of the Storm Discussion

Old 04-02-2015, 12:03 PM

Elune

Default Influence of HS and HotS on their Franchises.

What I am talking about here is the potential influence gameplay of Hearthstone and HotS might have on the franchises that spawned them. A certain card or hero may be pretty powerful and be the subject of a lot of jokes/memes which could promote that character or change the way people see them based on the gameplay of those games, this is especially interesting for little known characters.

-Like Tirion, he is a big lore figure but also not that liked and out of the way. Yet in HS he is a superstar, he is love, he is life, he is OP.

-Or Dr. Boom, a virtual unknown who has memetic God status in HS for being insanely OP and evidence of power creep.

-Loatheb who again is fairly unknown is super awesome in HS and capable of stopping any combo. Same goes for Black Knight, though for slightly different reasons.

-Sylvanas, who is hardly unknown but in HS she is so OP, that even after a nerf and 3 card expansions she is still one of the most played legendaries. So much popularity

-Misha/Huffer are both probably infamous now, because hunter is so hated and they always come in package with hunter rush decks. Not to mention Rexxar himself, formerly a very liked lore figure may now be ruined forever because of his role as the hunter of HS.

-Jaraxxus is probably now better known that Kil'jaeden which is absurd. It is such a monolithic presence in HS and he also had the super catchy Mr.Voletron song before.

-Alexstrasza, which usually means you are about to die, quite different than in the lore.

-And how could I forget Ragnaros, who also has God status in HS and may have reached peak popularity in this game rather than WoW.

-Leeroy had his moment of (renewed) immense spotlight when he was part of Miracle Rogue.

-And other famous cards like: Leper Gnome(Ickyfeel!), Doomguard, Sludge Belcher, Undertaker, Unleash the Hounds, Savannah Highmane, Northshire Cleric, Aldor Peacekeeper, Ancient of Lore/War, Druid of the Claw, Yeti, SI:7 Agent, Scrub and so on.

They all have high pop culture status now and that could carry back into the original franchise and from there maybe even into the lore.

And certain heroes being played in a certain way also serves to redefine them. Druid commanding a horde of minions and unleashing devastating combos? Warlock and his sacred bond with giants?... yeah.

Anyhow, just some food for thought.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:19 PM

Banished

Sylvanas ha iron grip on the Warcraft franchise
Old 04-08-2015, 10:13 AM

Echo of the Past

Thumbs up

-Anduin is destined to fall to the dark side and embrace shadow.

-Garrosh, rascist? There's no way! He works with anyone who can pull their own weight. Especially trolls and worgen.

-Paladins might carry hammers as a throwable sidearm, but their true weapon of choice is the Truesilver Champion. Like a Jedi's lightsaber, everyone carries them to battle.

-Animals are always better disciplined and more effective at following orders, than sapient people are.

-If you see a rogue carrying a really sharp knife, get ready for her to throw it on the ground, break it, and have its shards puncture you and your friends to death.

-Every world-ending threat in WoW could have been ended by a dwarf carrying a shotgun.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:53 PM

World Builder

Might have mentioned it in another thread but i like gnomes building sapient bots that can wield the light

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-10-2015, 02:23 AM

Echo of the Past

-Also, apparently there's a blood elf named "Valeera" who exists and has some sort of role in the Warcraft universe
Old 04-10-2015, 03:51 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
-Also, apparently there's a blood elf named "Valeera" who exists and has some sort of role in the Warcraft universe
Never liked her personally, and HS isn't going to fix that sadly.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-10-2015, 12:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
-Anduin is destined to fall to the dark side and embrace shadow.

-Garrosh, rascist? There's no way! He works with anyone who can pull their own weight. Especially trolls and worgen.

-Paladins might carry hammers as a throwable sidearm, but their true weapon of choice is the Truesilver Champion. Like a Jedi's lightsaber, everyone carries them to battle.

-Animals are always better disciplined and more effective at following orders, than sapient people are.

-If you see a rogue carrying a really sharp knife, get ready for her to throw it on the ground, break it, and have its shards puncture you and your friends to death.

-Every world-ending threat in WoW could have been ended by a dwarf carrying a shotgun.
Well to be fair, it is clear that Blade Flurry is meant to be about attacking with your weapons so forcefully that you wear them out.

Love the rest though, especially the BGH remark.

Quote:
Can't believe I forgot to mention her, she is getting so much facetime and popularity from HS. I don't like her because she is an Alliance belf but maybe if she was more neutral I would, from HS influence alone.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:21 PM

Guru of Gilneas

It's worth noting that in HotS, Thrall's subtitle descriptor is "Warchief of the Horde." Not only that, but his flavor text paragraph even claims, "Now and forever, he is the Warchief of the Horde."
Old 09-17-2015, 12:23 PM

The Sun King

I'm actually happy that Rexxar has become so memetic with all that "face" stuff. Us warcraft nerds knew him, but for the rest of the people he was probably some random NPC.

Quote:
-Jaraxxus is probably now better known that Kil'jaeden which is absurd. It is such a monolithic presence in HS and he also had the super catchy Mr.Voletron song before.
Yeah, that's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
It's worth noting that in HotS, Thrall's subtitle descriptor is "Warchief of the Horde." Not only that, but his flavor text paragraph even claims, "Now and forever, he is the Warchief of the Horde."
Notice how Metzen changed his delivery of the line: from "I AM... the warchief" to "I... am THE Warchief
Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Elune

people will probably play more grand tournament then actual icecrown trial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.

Tags
blizzard, dank memes, discussion, epic memer, hearthstone, heroes of the swarm, hots, popculture, power of memes