Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 06-30-2017, 03:36 PM

Elune

Gold (War3) Is Blizzard charging people for a rehash of an old game?!?!

So this SC remaster thing, apparently it takes preorders which I guess means it costs money?

Are they fucking crazy? Seems ridiculously money grubbing to me to make people pay to play a fancied up version of an old game. So many companies are giving away legacy games as a courtesy or a promo stunt yet Blizz goes and tries to milk money out of people? D:

This is like Monsanto levels of money grubbing, bordering on Mr. Burns
Old 06-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Just took a gander, yeah, I won't be buying into it. They wanted to "keep things faithful", which I understand, but the HD remake is too faithful. For "gameplay reasons" they kept a lot of visual oddities, and the high-res of it doesn't matter when the details shown are just simple objects. The terrain tiling is also kept too static.

That said, apparently they did a ton of work, so for a truly nostalgic player (or the living, ancient pro scene), the cost is there and the quality makes sense ($15 isn't a huge deal if you're already in love).

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:47 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
So this SC remaster thing, apparently it takes preorders which I guess means it costs money?

Are they fucking crazy? Seems ridiculously money grubbing to me to make people pay to play a fancied up version of an old game. So many companies are giving away legacy games as a courtesy or a promo stunt yet Blizz goes and tries to milk money out of people? D:

This is like Monsanto levels of money grubbing, bordering on Mr. Burns
It's pretty old news. They are making the original free, but the remastered version won't.

It's just some attempt at recovering all the ground they lost in Korea (they're the only ones to blame, though).

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-30-2017, 03:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Seems like a better deal than diablo 3 DLC, I will buy it only because it is 15 bucks I was honestly expecting blizzard to be Greedy as fuck and charge 59 bucks for it.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 06-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Seems like a better deal than diablo 3 DLC, I will buy it only because it is 15 bucks I was honestly expecting blizzard to be Greedy as fuck and charge 59 bucks for it.
They are both terribly priced. The remastered is likely the better deal since it's an entire game vs a stale old game with a old character from an old game. It's funny. 20 is the amount I said that I'd refuse to but either of these at, with the exchange rate as it is that's the price, which is insane. If it were 10 USD for them I'd consider it, some how that extra 5 bucks per just completely loses me. I'd rather spend that on a beer than playing old games I beat years ago.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:03 AM

Elune

People who are total SC fanboys can buy it, their choice, but no way in seven hells would I give them money for it.

Giving out original SC (Brood War too I presume?) for free does make it better and more in-line with what other companies are doing.

Bottom line for me though is that any sympathy I had for "old Blizz" for making awesome games and always putting the customer first is long gone. Their stories suck for a long time now, their gameplay increasingly sucks and now they are trying to milk every dime out of the player. They are no better than the average gaming company, probably worse.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:34 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
People who are total SC fanboys can buy it, their choice, but no way in seven hells would I give them money for it.

Giving out original SC (Brood War too I presume?) for free does make it better and more in-line with what other companies are doing.

Bottom line for me though is that any sympathy I had for "old Blizz" for making awesome games and always putting the customer first is long gone. Their stories suck for a long time now, their gameplay increasingly sucks and now they are trying to milk every dime out of the player. They are no better than the average gaming company, probably worse.
Oh lord I hope it includes Brood War... I also find the limited time Preorder bonus to be fucking hilarious... really preorder this...

In the target audiences standpoint, there's kind of an issue with charging anything for it. They obviously want to get it on every system in every Ecafe in Korea, it would be more accessible to the younger generation of "Eatheletes" (as Blizz is obsessed with the whole Esports things) coming up (since the industry thrives on youth).
Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Oh lord I hope it includes Brood War... I also find the limited time Preorder bonus to be fucking hilarious... really preorder this...

In the target audiences standpoint, there's kind of an issue with charging anything for it. They obviously want to get it on every system in every Ecafe in Korea, it would be more accessible to the younger generation of "Eatheletes" (as Blizz is obsessed with the whole Esports things) coming up (since the industry thrives on youth).
it includes brood wars
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 07-01-2017, 07:26 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Depending on the price, I see nothing wrong with this. I mean, I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for it, but maybe 15?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:29 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Depending on the price, I see nothing wrong with this. I mean, I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for it, but maybe 15?
It is 15.

And yeah, for that price I'll also buy it. They did invest time into it, so they deserve recompense.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:44 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
It is 15.

And yeah, for that price I'll also buy it. They did invest time into it, so they deserve recompense.
Are they updating the cinematics? I know the briefings will be different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Are they updating the cinematics? I know the briefings will be different.
dont expect cinematic trailers but I believe they said they will.
Btag is Hulk#23939

Tags
blizzard, starcraft