Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Euron pulling hundred of finely decorated caravels is just insane in comparison.
Oh I'm not even going pretend that makes sense.

And why the hell is everything so dark this season? Cersei, Euron, Sansa, Littlefinger, Daenerys and all her guys wear black, hell even the ships are almost completely black.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I think Jorah is obviously going to replace the whole "second Targaryen" plot. Or maybe it's just some fanfic to replace all the other characters missing from Oldtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
At this point I'll enjoy it as a piece of fan-fiction set in the Game of Thrones universe.
This is the right mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
Welp looks like a bunch of the major leaks are on point so far. Not sure how to feel if the rest turn out true.
Didn't see them, mind posting them?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Arch-Druid

So the Wall's definitely coming down by the end of the season right? Also I predict that the episode title for the season finale will have the word "seven" in it.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Eternal

Oh fuck, I didn't even notice that the arch maester is Professor Slughorn from Harry Potter!
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 07-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Apophis#2440

Quote:
At this point I'll enjoy it as a piece of fan-fiction set in the Game of Thrones universe.
This a thousand times. A pre-schooler could write more original/interesting material than what they're currently putting out.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Orb of Lightning

I enjoyed the episode - I initially wasn't too keen on it because on my first viewing today I was watching with a group of friends (about four of which had never even seen the show) - so I couldn't really immerse myself in the episode when I was surrounded by shouting things like 'WHO IS THAT?' or 'CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN IN FIVE SECONDS WHAT'S HAPPENING?!'. But no, I enjoyed it more the second time I saw it. Here are some notes:
  • I loved seeing Walder Frey's actor back for the cold-open - as soon as I saw him I just immediately knew that he had to be Arya in disguise who meant to kill all the Freys - and then with the camera's emphasis of the goblets being filled with wine, I knew a massacre was afoot. The preview for the next episode seems to show the reappearance of Nymeria - so I wonder how Arya's interaction with her will go.
  • On the painted map of Westeros at King's Landing, Cersei positioned herself at the Neck while Jaime was by the Fingers. I believe this may be another piece of evidence that suggests Jaime will strangle her to death.
  • Euron's a very silly character in the show - I found his presence to be entertaining (and his costume was noticeably good and unusual), but he's radically different in temperament from the original character. The show's version is portrayed as almost a bawdy frat-house brother -a very conventional and chauvinistic depiction of the average Ironborn- whereas book-Euron has a radically-different personality from his peers on the Iron Islands.
  • I've been enjoying the decision not to adapt Lady Stoneheart for the show as it means we get to see more of Beric, Thoros and their brotherhood. Sandor remains a very interesting character - and I liked the little gravedigger allusion.
  • Jim Broadbent as the archmaester was enjoyable - I liked his acknowledgement of Sam's story by citing the historiography of the Long Night- there's just too many non-related sources referencing the White Walkers for them to be dismissed as complete-fantasy in their universe.
  • King Jon shoring up the defenses for the North and focusing everyone's attention on the threat of the White Walkers was commendable -along with his decisions being mining obsidian, training the girls too and getting the free folk to man the abandoned castles along the Wall. I also enjoyed how Sansa has no tolerance whatsoever for Baelish - she's definitely become a more compelling character as the seasons have gone on.
  • I loved the Tormund scene with Brienne - I think their recurring gag is very sweet and wholesome
  • You could see the look of shock and credulousness on Jaime's face when Cersei said that the Seven Kingdoms would be a 'dynasty' for them alone - their children are dead and they have no heirs, yet she's willing to make war against Westeros purely for their own personal power and satisfaction. Its completely antithetical to everything Tywin tried to teach her about family and legacy being all that's important.
  • I have no feelings at all about this Ed Sheeran controversy - it didn't break my immersion at all (primarily because I've never knowingly listened to his music and I don't follow contemporary British pop), so I didn't care about the cameo. I actually quite enjoyed the song because the same one from the books about Tyrion and his ill-fated singer - and I also liked the decision to portray the Lannister soldiers as just ordinary boys fighting in some other person's war
  • I'm not quite sure yet what the deal is on how the Others and the army of the dead will breach the Wall. There seems to be a convergence happening at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea - as Tormund's band of warriors are going to support there, the undead are marching south there and now the Brotherhood is going up to the Wall too. So I'm unsure by what mechanics the Night's King will be able to breach the Wall's defenses - it could be something as simple as the Wall's magic being dewarded after Bran passed through it (as he still caries that mark on his arm that ruined the magic protecting Bloodraven's cave.) Also finally seeing some undead giants was fantastic too.
I was expecting a bit more action from the premiere (other than the Frey scene at the beginning) because there's only seven episodes this season and so the pacing will have to be more intense than previous years. But it seemed like this premiere pretty much followed the format of all the other premieres - it was primarily about just checking-in with all the characters to see where they're at now and what they mean to do next. But it was still enjoyable and a well-made episode, I found.

Quote:
I don't mean this to offend you personally (or Gromak and Ethenil who expressed the same sentiment), but I find that mentality to be extremely silly. Because George is not directing and producing and writing the show (as well he shouldn't be), any attempt at adapting his work for television -whether by D&D or anyone else- is by definition 'fan-fiction.' I mean it cannot be news to anyone that Game of Thrones is not supposed to be a 100% copy of George's source material - that would be impossible to actually produce and nor would it even be that particularly interesting to watch, even if it were possible.

Last edited by Shaman; 07-17-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyanna Mormont
"And I don't need your permission to defend the North. We'll begin training every man, woman, boy, and girl on Bear Island."
Boy, she sure won my heart with that retort. Why do I have such a hard crush on snarky women barking at stupid people?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Elune

Yeah the show has been unraveling for a while now. There is a strong loss of believability and gravity in most storylines. The most enjoyable for me is Jon's story as well as that of the Hound. The other stories are mainly just shitty hype at this point. There were glances characters gave one another in S1 that were more interesting and satisfying than most of the hype we've been served the last few seasons (especially the last two seasons).

Anyway I feel the way Arya interacts with those Lannister soldiers will determine her fate. If she kills them she is too far gone and loses most sympathy, otherwise there is hope for her. Sansa is still being a dumbass except now she thinks she isn't, I hope she doesn't fuck up too badly. I liked Littlefinger's scheming before but he has been screwing up a lot lately for no good reason, I guess it's just his time to die so they want to get it over with, a pity. But hey we didn't get any Dorne this episode, thank God for small mercies.

PS. About these apparently correct spoilers, don't share them here, don't want to be spoiled. Thanks.

Last edited by C9H20; 07-18-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Elune

Bored, so searched for the leaks myself. Dunno if this is all of them, but it looks like a nice compilation. Obvious spoilers, just in case:

https://winteriscoming.net/2017/05/0...-for-season-7/

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co...iler_timeline/

Looks pretty solid if legit.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Elune

Sansa's logic is actually sound this time.

I honestly dont understand where do you people think the plot is gonna go in the books.

-fAegon will fail, may drag down Arianne, Myrcella and House Martell along him - Ellaria plot

-House Tyrell will fall or become irrelevant - Olenna plot

- Euron horn shenigans will lead to the dragonwight and fall of the Wall - Dracowight plot
Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post

Didn't see them, mind posting them?
I didn't really plan on doing it, but oh well.

HEAVY LEAK SPOILERS FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON. THE SAME SOURCE ALSO PREDICTED A LOT OF STUFF THAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT LIKE EURON TRYING TO MARRY CERSEI. THE GoT CAST AND CREW WERE ALSO REPORTEDLY PISSED WHEN THEY SAW THESE ACCORDING TO VARIOUS RELIABLE SOURCES. HIGH CHANCE THEY'RE MOSTLY TRUE. DO NOT LOOK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE.

Cersei gets pregnant, has a miscarriage, and alienates Jaime. He runs to the North to help at the end of the season.

Gilly discovers proof Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's legitimate child.

Jon goes to talk with Dany about helping against the White Walkers. They go north to show her a wight and he bites off more than he can chew. Dany swoops in with her dragons to save him. Viserion dies and is raised as a wight. Jon consoles Dany. Viserion melts the wall and it falls down as Jon and Dany are having sex.

Bran just kind of has visions all season but helps Arya and Sansa deal with Littlefinger.

Arya executes Littlefinger on Sansa's orders.

Jon bends the knee to Dany.

Euron captures Yara, Ellaria, and the Sand Snakes then kills them all after parading them around King's Landing.

Theon escapes capture and is found by Jon who tells him the only reason he's alive is because of what he did for Sansa.

The Hound, Beric, Thoros, and Gendry are part of the ranging party north to capture a wight. Beric and Thoros die for good.

Jon and Dany take a wight to the dragonpit to meet with Cersei and show her the threat is real. She agrees to help but when they leave she tells Jaime that the white walkers will thin out her enemies and she'll deal with them after. This is why Jaime finally leaves.

Euron asks if the wights can swim. Jon says no and Euron says he's going back to the Iron Islands then.

Last edited by Yorenec; 07-17-2017 at 07:08 PM..
Old 07-17-2017, 07:47 PM

Elune

You forgot to say that euron was lying, he was actually getting the Golden Company
Old 07-23-2017, 11:48 PM

Warden

Quote:
Euron captures Yara, Ellaria, and the Sand Snakes
Check.

Quote:
then kills them all after parading them around King's Landing.
Soon to be check.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 AM

Loremaster

One will note that the showrunners seem incapable of adding more villains without just making them into more Ramsays. So we're set to endure yet another invincible Joker character for whom the plot shimmies aside to make sure everything always goes his way when it logically shouldn't.

And in keeping with that, evidently the Dornish routinely poisoning their weapons is no longer a thing, because Rule of Cool required that Euron get stabbed repeatedly during the sea battle and just shrug it off. Also still wondering how the Ironborne built this monstrously huge fleet from all those nonexistent forests on those islands they live on that are renowned for being extremely desolate and hard for anything to grow on. Guess they must have learned how to build boats out of rocks like WoW's ogres did or something.

These first two episodes have felt like like half a season hastily crammed into two hours. The pacing is just all over the place. Basically halfway through each one, everything that happened in the first ten minutes is already old news to people on the opposite side of Westeros.

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-24-2017 at 12:09 AM..
Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 AM

Elune

Game of Thrones has nobody left to root f-

Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
I didn't really plan on doing it, but oh well.
I just posted some myself a bit above lol. I don't see anything new there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
You forgot to say that euron was lying, he was actually getting the Golden Company
This one, I didn't heard about.

Euron is obviously the 3rd act villain after Joffrey and Ramsay, but they took too long to introduce him, and I fear he might fall short.

Unless shits hits the fan at the end of this season, I don't see 8th season doing the ending any justice. There isn't enough episodes to develop it at the right pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
And in keeping with that, evidently the Dornish routinely poisoning their weapons is no longer a thing, because Rule of Cool required that Euron get stabbed repeatedly during the sea battle and just shrug it off.
Yeah, that was kinda retarded. I'm much more worried about basic cartography, as in, how the fuck does Euron go in and out of King's Landing if Dragonstone is at the fucking exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
These first two episodes have felt like like half a season hastily crammed into two hours. The pacing is just all over the place. Basically halfway through each one, everything that happened in the first ten minutes is already old news to people on the opposite side of Westeros.
This. The worse part is that there's still a lot of filler, like that stupid romantic plot, but I guess we need our pointless sex scenes now and then.

They should have moved things faster in the previous seasons, instead of adding more and more filler and then cutting off actual decent plots from the books.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 07-24-2017 at 06:45 AM..
Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 AM

Eternal

Filler episodes in the previous season was to stall and allow GRMM to finish Winds of Winter. When that didn't happen, they had to wrap up everything quickly.

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

The direction in the sea battle scenes this episode was horrific. Shakey cam with split second cuts, it was Michael Bay-style bullshit, you could barely make out what was happening.

While I appreciate more footage of Missandei, as she's hot as hell, it was an utter waste of about 3-5 minutes in an already shortened season. I can't believe they keep wasting airtime on meaningless titties and lesbo scenes. It's like some producers are insisting on shoving in nudity, because branding.

Euron is hilariously bad and cringeworthy. He's hamming it up so hard it's just embarassing. Also, bad direction. Oh and ofc we just had to have a "fuck the patriarchy!" shot of a Snek ramming a dagger in an Ironborn's crotch. Please.

Good: the North, Sam and Arya. King's Landing is alright. This episode was mostly dragged down by unbelievably shitty Sneks vs Euron and "titties for the eunuchs".

Please refrain from mentioning leaks or anything, I'd like to avoid reading any by accident.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 AM

Eternal

Well, looks like Euron switched into full-on Victarion mode for this battle.
Sure, it was cringey as fuck but so is Vic...
And he did rid us of two sneks, so I'm thankfull for that. Shame about Yara, though. I like her...
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Game of Thrones has nobody left to root f-

Euron singelhandly saving this show.

And his axe is pure sex.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:49 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Filler episodes in the previous season was to stall and allow GRMM to finish Winds of Winter. When that didn't happen, they had to wrap up everything quickly.
That screams like bad planning to me.

Also, if they were planning that, why not plan more seasons and episodes as well?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
That screams like bad planning to me.

Also, if they were planning that, why not plan more seasons and episodes as well?
Something something actors and directors want to do other things. You need to remember that when the TV series was announced a decade ago that Mr 'I do not write' said the books would be finished before the show even started. Instead the next book came out shortly after S1 started and since thenwe've yet to get the next book.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Something something actors and directors want to do other things. You need to remember that when the TV series was announced a decade ago that Mr 'I do not write' said the books would be finished before the show even started. Instead the next book came out shortly after S1 started and since thenwe've yet to get the next book.
Yeah, but they still took more than one season for books 3 and 4 each. They added a lot of filler there.

Shouldn't have trusted Martin. At this rate, he will die without releasing the 6th book, and no fucking way he gets to do the 7th. I don't think he even cares anymore to be fair, he's old and got his sweet money to have fun for what remains of life for him.

Last edited by Nazja; 07-24-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 AM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, but they still took more than one season for books 3 and 4 each. They added a lot of filler there.

Shouldn't have trusted the fat bearded fuck. At this rate, he will die without releasing the 6th book, and no fucking way he gets to do the 7th. I don't think he even cares anymore to be fair, he's old and got his sweet money to have fun for what remains of life for him.
I think he'll get six out, but we definitely won't get seven.

If we do? I think he'll just reword the show's ending and go "yeah this is totally what I planned all along or something w/e"

From watching and reading a lot of the interviews it really does seem like he stopped giving much of a shit.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I think he'll get six out, but we definitely won't get seven.

If we do? I think he'll just reword the show's ending and go "yeah this is totally what I planned all along or something w/e"

From watching and reading a lot of the interviews it really does seem like he stopped giving much of a shit.
Can't blame him at his age, really. Though I guess this ultimately boils down to whether you believe that an author is obliged to finish his work or not.

Tags
a game of clans, cleganebowl, dwagon, entertainment, finally winter sheesh, game of thrones, happy father's day, oberyn has a headache, song of ice and fire, television, tywin lordaeron