Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Overwatch Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2726  
Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Hammerbrew Hammerbrew is offline

Elune
Hammerbrew's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,351

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
We're still only at what 27 or 28 heroes with 25 being the launch number? Their goal should be to fit 50 heroes. Now, as for balance, the game is closer to HotS (or League of Legends or Dota) than they or a lot of other people would care to admit and the audiences certainly overlap. They need to hit 50 or so heroes, doubling the original roster, to be going at the pace they are. If Valve and Riot (and even Blizzard) can balance 100+ heroes in their games then Blizzard can do it in Overwatch too.
21 at launch.
22 with Ana.
23 with Sombra.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Why would I want to play some cunt in a dress with hands softer than a baby's belly when I can be a hulking motherfucker wearing spiked pauldrons the size of your mother's sweet ass and a loincloth that barely conceals the massive erection I'm rocking?
Reply With Quote
  #2727  
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Joeygiggles Joeygiggles is offline

Warden
Joeygiggles's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 784
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
We're still only at what 27 or 28 heroes with 25 being the launch number? Their goal should be to fit 50 heroes. Now, as for balance, the game is closer to HotS (or League of Legends or Dota) than they or a lot of other people would care to admit and the audiences certainly overlap. They need to hit 50 or so heroes, doubling the original roster, to be going at the pace they are. If Valve and Riot (and even Blizzard) can balance 100+ heroes in their games then Blizzard can do it in Overwatch too.
The difference here is those games have been out for a much longer time, OW hasnt even been out a full year yet.
Then take into account they may be approaching this game a bit different. They are building off of what Titan was so maybe they want to build up the story/world as they release more Heroes. They seem to want the story and game to be intertwined unlike HotS where you can just throw heroes in. They want these characters to actually have a story to them so that part of development also takes time
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2728  
Old 02-25-2017, 11:47 AM
Mertico Mertico is offline

Elune
Mertico's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 6,074

Default

I understand what they want to do with the story. The low hero count is part of the reason why you see the same heroes every game and why you almost need certain heroes. Balancing is hard and the game hasn't been out very long, true.
Reply With Quote
  #2729  
Old 02-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Joeygiggles Joeygiggles is offline

Warden
Joeygiggles's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 784
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
I understand what they want to do with the story. The low hero count is part of the reason why you see the same heroes every game and why you almost need certain heroes. Balancing is hard and the game hasn't been out very long, true.
I think the reason you see the same heroes is basically because some are just to good. Which is really a balancing issue and also the perceived META. Its clear that players are sold on the Meta and say we need " X and Y to win" but that isn't the case IMO. I have seen plenty of bad reinhardts and lucios to know that the META doesnt always win you games.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2730  
Old 02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Mertico Mertico is offline

Elune
Mertico's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 6,074

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
I think the reason you see the same heroes is basically because some are just to good. Which is really a balancing issue and also the perceived META. Its clear that players are sold on the Meta and say we need " X and Y to win" but that isn't the case IMO. I have seen plenty of bad reinhardts and lucios to know that the META doesnt always win you games.
It's also a matter of what the pros use and what they don't. There's a clear bias there as well. Which I think could be fixed with a large pool and better balance.
Reply With Quote
  #2731  
Old Today, 03:33 PM
Mending Mending is offline

Priestess of the Moon
Mending's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 560

Default

Looks like our next hero will be an upgraded OR-15 with the same reactor that powers Zarya's weapon.


Last edited by Mending; Today at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2732  
Old Today, 04:18 PM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,379

Default

I welcome more omnics in the cast.
Reply With Quote
  #2733  
Old Today, 08:54 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,274

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
I welcome more omnics in the cast.
It's questionable if the OR-15s are omnics, though, since they've never been referred to as such.

Efi is described as a robotics and AI expert, and she's taking parts of the OR-15 as the chassis for whatever she's building. I'm undecided about whether it means she'll be controlling it remotely or if it'll be autonomous, but I'm suspecting we're getting a big robot with a tiny girl's voice coming out of it... which is interesting given that we already have that with D.va.
__________________
Now contributing to BlizzPro.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #2734  
Old Today, 10:08 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is online now

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 28,591

Default

Oh, that answers my questions about the parts from the other thread.

EDIT:

No joke, I would buy Lucio-Ohs in a heartbeat irl.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; Today at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blizzard, kid stuff, not dark and edgy, over n under, pew pew!, pixar called, vidja games

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.