Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Overwatch Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 10:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Eh, I don't think that's entirely fair, but what in your opinion separates a bundle of traits from depth?
Depth is what you do with the traits. You show why a person is that way, or what justifications they use to stay that way. You show some of the contradictions.

Some of the Overwatch characters have the potential for a lot of growth... but I don't think this type of game really benefits that much from it. It's probably more fun to keep them shallow and instantly understandable since that lets fans use them as self-inserts for themselves. And while that sounds like a criticism, it's not—I think it's good that Overwatch does this.

And let's face it: Blizzard's writing has never been particularly deep. It's never really been intended to, so that's fine; the writing can be very good for what it's trying to accomplish.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-20-2017, 10:52 AM

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Interesting... Journey to the West themed... Sun Wukong Winston, ZhuBajie Roadhog, Sha Wujing Reinhardt and Xuanzang Zenyata. A very surprising number of legendary skins...
"I always thought people were essentially bright. Distracted, sure, and weak, and beaten, but never stupid. And then you show them, here's the two people who want to be president. One is evil, but you can deal with him, because he actually harbors beliefs. The other one will tell any lie, wear any mask, to become president, and not only that, he fucking hates you, and he's doing this just so he can make your lives hell. And who do you think they vote for? Stupid."

Last edited by Sonneillon; 01-20-2017 at 01:08 PM..
Old 01-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Interesting... Journey to the West themed... Sun Wukong Winston, ZhuBajie Roadhog, Sha Wujing Reinhardt and Xuanzang Zenyata.
I'd suggest them doing a theme on The Plum in the Golden Vase, but that'd probably be redundant given the nature of Overwatch fan art.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

I'm really hoping we get a Journey to the West themed brawl set it Lijang Night Market ala Junkenstein's revenge or something, or something lantern festival related?
"I always thought people were essentially bright. Distracted, sure, and weak, and beaten, but never stupid. And then you show them, here's the two people who want to be president. One is evil, but you can deal with him, because he actually harbors beliefs. The other one will tell any lie, wear any mask, to become president, and not only that, he fucking hates you, and he's doing this just so he can make your lives hell. And who do you think they vote for? Stupid."
Old 01-20-2017, 02:37 PM

Eternal

Its completely fair.

This is Blizzard we're talking about. They'll take those traits and just make it a hollow social message. Or they will push unpopular characters for absolutely no reason at all or do things to perpetuate a pointless conflict where one or many people are literally incapable of doing wrong when they do obvious wrong. No one should want that shit.

However its becoming more apparent that fans have more creativity than Blizzard themselves. Aside from shippers.
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

Elune

So why can Hanzo shoot dragons out of his hands? Is it just something Japanese people can innately do?
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I'd suggest them doing a theme on The Plum in the Golden Vase, but that'd probably be redundant given the nature of Overwatch fan art.
I'm not familiar with that one, but it sounds interesting.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I'm not familiar with that one, but it sounds interesting.
It was a joke The Plum in the Golden Vase is considered by some to be of similar stature to the Four Great Classics, but it's primarily an erotic novel, and thus not always considered appropriate.

Given the nature of much Overwatch fan art....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
So why can Hanzo shoot dragons out of his hands? Is it just something Japanese people can innately do?
Yup. I'm half, so I can only shoot out one dragon. Fortunately, my Scottish heritage means I can also toss a pretty mean caber.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

World Builder

Quote:
It was a joke The Plum in the Golden Vase is considered by some to be of similar stature to the Four Great Classics, but it's primarily an erotic novel, and thus not always considered appropriate.

Given the nature of much Overwatch fan art....

Yup. I'm half, so I can only shoot out one dragon. Fortunately, my Scottish heritage means I can also toss a pretty mean caber.
Ahhh

My Worldbuilding:
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
It just seems silly because most people's ultimate has to do with their profession but then Hanzo shoots dragons.
Old Today, 06:39 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
It just seems silly because most people's ultimate has to do with their profession but then Hanzo shoots dragons.
If you watched the short you'd know that it's specifically an ability related to the Shimada ninja family.

That said I don't know how or why the Shimadas can shoot dragons.
Old Today, 08:12 AM

Eternal

Honestly the dragons aren't even the weirdest shit.

Why can Zenyatta float around, shoot magical orbs that curse or heal people, spawn ethereal extra arms on himself as well seemingly enter a higher state of existence that heals everyone around him?
Old Today, 08:17 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post

Why can Zenyatta float around, shoot magical orbs that curse or heal people, spawn ethereal extra arms on himself as well seemingly enter a higher state of existence that heals everyone around him?
Hologram projection and nanobots Douglas. Very expensive.

My Worldbuilding:
Old Today, 08:22 AM

Eternal

I was more inclined to just call it robot magic.
Old Today, 08:41 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

There's a large dose of fantasy in the setting. Reaper turning incorporeal because he's undead. Winston hulking out, turning red and having lightening shoot from his eyes.
Old Today, 09:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post

Because he embraced tranquility.

Tags
blizzard, kid stuff, not dark and edgy, over n under, pew pew!, pixar called, vidja games