View Poll Results: See Thread Title
Yes 2 40.00%
Somewhat 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Dude, you be trippin' 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon Item Names - Nonsensical or What?

Full Disclaimer: I don't deal much with Diablo.

I have fond memories of people talking about Diablo 2 being great, but it was always too mature in my young age, so I stuck with Starcraft & Warcraft. Still, my love for Blizzard would eventually lead me to try Diablo 3 (as long as it was free), so I did... Have... Done. Alright, I stopped at, like, lvl 10 for some reason & haven't picked it back up in months. But whatevs.

The poll is about a conversation I had with some friends about the game, which I hope to have cleared up.

~~~

Basically boils down to this. I saw my friend playing, and he was wearing an item labelled "Reptilian Bracers of the Lion". I laughed a bit & jokingly referred to how weird the names were in Diablo 3; how nonsensical it was to have such an item. To this, he (& ultimately his wife, my wife, and his sister-in-law) all strongly disagreed; for them, it made total sense and wasn't weird at all.

I struggled to explain what I thought had been so obvious, but could not adequately defend my point of view. What say ye? Does not "Reptilian Bracers of the Lion" & like names sound weird? See above poll.

~~~

"Defense"
I am vaguely aware of Diablo's item system & how it all works; basically you have a core 'item' (shield, bracer, sword, wand, etc), and they have (randomly applied?) buffs on them that give them different stats, which buffs are indicated flavorfully & textually via string descriptors (i.e. "of the Bear" = +X strength, "Aquatic" = +X% water-breathing, etc).

Sure.
Great.
Fine.

But shouldn't there have been an algorithm or something to stop random, nonsensical combinations from coming around? To me, the above makes as little sense as "Flaming Sword of Coldness"; how can it be both?? Even if "Flaming" is just a tag meaning "+X speed" and "Coldness" is a tag meaning "slows enemies down" or whatever; sure they stand for something, and the combination of buffs makes sense enough, but the words themselves just is totally divergent from rationality!
Ursine Buckler of the Fish
Angelic Spear of Demonic Strength
etc etc.

/defense

As far as I understood it, my friend's primary rebuttal was that (essentially/paraphrasing/what I recall) that, in a fantasy world (game, book, movie, whatever), it doesn't matter one bit whether stuff in the world is rational/logical/sensical to us; all that matters is internal consistency. Does the world make sense to itself, inside itself? If so, it can do whatever it wants. As he puts it (in other arguments as well, this is part of a greater paradigm with him AFAI can tell), trying to impose (input/overlay/consider) a "real world view" or "real world issues" or "real world (physical) constraints" is ill-advised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
Check me out at Wc3C; I'm a lot more active. (Well, mentally at least. THW is another good place)

Also check out my two projects:
- ~Custom Race Project~
- ~Neutral Hero Additions~
Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Yeah, these games tend to have procedurally generated names that more often than not sound like a bad madlib. Fans are acclimatized to it and it would be more trouble than it's worth to add an algorithm that ensures nobody ends up with reptilian lions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Arch-Druid

Gold (War3) not my item but relevant

Definitely not nonsensical.

Last edited by Malygos; 09-03-2015 at 01:21 PM..
Old 09-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Arrow

Let's go slay that troublesome bat, then collect the enchanted bow and copper coins it likely keeps on its person.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:07 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Tags
item names, items, lingustics, names, totally rad