Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Diablo Discussion

Old 03-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default Diablo's Original Pitch

Neat look back at the original ideas for the game.

http://graybeardgames.blogspot.com.a...-document.html
Old 03-20-2016, 07:49 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Noice!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:08 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I was about to post this. The idea they had for random elements of the game to be "collectible" is even more diabolical than the RMAH; a sinister precursor to modern-day DLC.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:13 PM

Elune

What the hell is this Condor they keep talking about? Was Diablo not an original Blizz creation?

EDIT: Apparently Condor is the original name of Blizzard North, initially an independent company absorbed by Blizzard 9 months before the launch of Diablo.

The games they helped produce are: Justice League Task Force, Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. It pretty much fizzled out in 2003 when most of the original people left and mostly formed new companies.

The more you know.

Last edited by C9H20; 03-21-2016 at 04:19 PM..
Old 03-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
What the hell is this Condor they keep talking about? Was Diablo not an original Blizz creation?
Blizzard North used to be called Condor, before it was bought by Blizzard a few months before Diablo's release.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:20 AM

Priestess of the Moon

So D1 was originally envisioned as a turn based game? It seems like it would have been like Might and Magic but isometric.

Last edited by HackBenjamin; 03-23-2016 at 06:23 AM..
Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post

EDIT: Apparently Condor is the original name of Blizzard North, initially an independent company absorbed by Blizzard 9 months before the launch of Diablo.

The games they helped produce are: Justice League Task Force, Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. It pretty much fizzled out in 2003 when most of the original people left and mostly formed new companies.

The more you know.
They apparently had a hand in Torchlight after they dissolved, which was very Diablo-esque and a lot of fun.

Man I love the Torchlight Universe, I wish they made more games in the setting.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Yes, Blizzard North was Condor. Everyone kind of left after Blizzard (South), from what I understand, more or less fell out of favor with them (I've heard a lot of scuttlebutt about how Diablo II's code was an absolute mess and I believe they were relegated to working on the GBA ports of Silicon and Synapse's old titles). Most of them went on to form Runic Games which made Torchlight, which is why that game is basically Diablo 2. It's also why Max Schaefer was publicly trash talking the Diablo 3 delays (I recall something along the lines of "Torchlight 3 will be out before Diablo 3" - yeah, that worked out well, didn't it?). I feel like there was a lot of bad blood there.

Looking at the wiki page for Runic, ironic they had some Flagship people there too. Guess this was the ex-Blizzard hangout

I'll need to check this doc out. I knew about a lot of this from an old interview in the Diablo 1 strategy guide where they talked about the original pitch being a turn-based claymation thing. Sounded really goofy TBH.

Edit: God damn, Bill Roper is working on Disney Infinity now? That's crazy.... I just thought he disappeared into the night after Flagship blew up...

Edit 2: Ok, checked out the PDF. Super interesting. The game didn't change nearly as much as I thought. Also the turn-based thing makes sense reading it that way - the game was basically fantasy X-Com.

The expansion pack thing was also kind of genius. I can see why they didn't go with it because it's very evil (maybe appropriate for Diablo? ) But it's not dis-similar to what they are doing now with Diablo 3 patches (only these are free).

Last edited by Warlock; 03-23-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Tags
diablo, history