Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Diablo Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Human Icon (War3) The Rise and Fall of the Kingdom of Khanduras.

My wife just played through Act 1 of Diablo 3 for the first time, and I was there to help her and to explain some lore here and there. She had a particular reaction to Leoric's Manor (that guy seriously needed another hobby besides torture) and the fate of Leoric's wife.

I wanted to take some time to discuss some of the events surrounding Leoric's rise to power and his fall. This is somewhat head-cannon/fanfic, but what I want is discussion, theory, and conjecture.

I wonder about the events surrounding Leoric being crowned king of Khanduras. My understanding is that Khanduras would have been part of the territory conquered by Rakkis when he founded Westmarch, but for some reason the church of Zakarum saw fit give these lands to Leoric. Why was that, I wonder. A few possible reasons that come to my mind:

The territory conquered by Rakkis was simply to large to be efficiently governed by the government of Westmarch, and they couldn't maintain that territory. That said, there's no indication that I'm aware of that the area was unstable prior to Leoric's arrival.

My understanding is that there was a rift beginning to grow between Westmarch and the increasingly extremist Church in Kurast. As such, the Church sent Leoric to enforce Zakarum on Khanduras in spite of Westmarch's claim on the area. This would provide an environment of plausibility to Leoric's false suspicions of and imminent attack on Westmarch.

To take it just a bit further, It's not a stretch of the imagination that the Church in Kurast had already been bent to the will of Mephisto and Leoric and his family were sent to Tristram strictly for the purpose of getting Diablo a nice host.

Lastly, I wonder if maybe, just maybe during Leoric's Coronation, Lazarus, disguising it as a blessing, gave an unwitting Leoric power over the dead of Khanduras, setting him up to become the Skeleton King. Perhaps the idea was for Diablo to get an instant undead army when he finally conquered Leoric's mind, but the ultimate outcome was acceptable.

I have more ideas concerning the conflict with Westmarch, Leoric's madness, his family relationships, etc., but this post is long enough (if not too long alread). What are your thoughts? How did you always imagine events? Do any of you know lore that would affect any of this?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Demon Hunter

I think Lazarus/Mephisto were behind most of it. Clearly Lazarus was there for Diablo. Leoric himself wondered why they had settled in this "backwater settlement".
I don't know why Diablo tried to possess Leoric, though. Why hasn't Lazarus come alone and be done with the soulstone? Wasn't there a story that said Diablo wanted a strong human vessel (and kings are usually strong)? I can't remember.

The official reason for Leoric and his court to come to Khanduras must have been something along the lines of what you said. Too much land for Westmarch to control, or maybe a strong leader of the Zakarum was needed in these lands so close to Ivgorod to insure the people's faith would remain in the Light.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Lothar

One other thought, Leoric was an Eastern Lord, which begs the question, Lord of Where? Had he lost his former lands? Or had he given them up? Or is there yet more Leoric Family Real estate out there that hasn't been represented in game? Or was he perhaps not in line to inherit the family estate (being a younger brother or cousin or something), and there's a kinsman out there somewhere in the east who has a whole estate?

In the mean time, some of the other ideas I had include:

Leoric's wife probably hated the Cathedral, which is why Leoric built her the manor on the hill. I'm betting he never went back there after her death.

This is definitely headcanon/fanfic, but the D2 Paladin fought against Lachdanan and Aidan in the War between Khanduras and Tristram. I imagine them having a healthy respect for eachother, observing rules of chivalry, etc. Even if they never knew each other, I imagine that paladin having fought in that war and showing up in Khanduras in Diablo 2 to investigate what became of their neighbors.

Aside from that, I imagine Leoric and Aidan having a relationship tainted by that madness, with Aidan leaving for a war with Westmarch that he didn't believe in just to prove to his Father that he loved him and wasn't going to try and take his crown from him.

Which then begs the question why Aidan didn't come back the same time as Lachdanan. I can think of 3 possibilities:
1. He fell, wounded in battle and captured, with Westmarch holding him captive until Lachdanan withdrew.
2. He served as part of a rear-guard covering Lachdanan's withdrawal.
3. He didn't have the heart to face his father after his failure.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 09-02-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 PM

Critter

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality.I like this kind of blog.Thanks for sharing informative information with us.

Last edited by Hinkel88; 12-15-2014 at 11:51 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Eternal

It totally is
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:37 AM

Critter

Default Rise of the Kingdom

I just loved your story, now i am going to play Act 1 of Diablo 3 too
Old 09-07-2016, 04:14 PM

Arch-Druid

The Skeleton King Rises.......
:skele ton:

Could Aiden have brought Adria home with him from the War with Westmarch?

Also, I think the Rise and Fall of Tristram could make for a decent TV series. Diablo would probably make for a much more cohesive movie than Warcraft.

Tags
diablo, lore