Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Diablo Discussion

Old 11-06-2016, 09:52 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default Witch Doctor vs. Necromancer

So they've done it. The Witch Doctor and the Necromancer will inhabit the same game.

While in and of itself, I find Diablo 3's rendition of the Necromancer to be intriguing so far, I still wonder if the game is big enough for the two of them.

Devs say that they're different thematically..... sure. Blood and bone vs. Spirits, Zombies, animals and fetishes. I get it. The theme wasn't where I was overly worried.

Then they say that the Necromancer is more focused, more controlled than the Witch Doctor's pets, who pretty much do their own thing (which happens to be in your service). I can see that.

But doesn't that simply make the Necromancer a more honed, more efficient Witch Doctor? Seems like the Necro is muscling the Witch Doctor out.

As for my personal preferences, I intend to play both (continue to play in regards to the Witch Doctor). The Strategic nature of the Necro looks fun, plus the nostalgia factor (and the blood magic was a nice touch). On the other hand, I do find I identify a lot with the Witch Doctor. Spiritual, kindly/good-natured, but also creepy. I also found out recently that the Witch Doctor makes a decent analogue to some ancestors that I didn't know I had. Turns out my Great Grandma who was notoriously racist and always claimed to be of French Descent was actually descended from a black washer-woman. The irony was somewhat hilarious (we figure she started acting racist once she left New Orleans just so people wouldn't figure out she was black under the 1 drop rule).
Old 11-06-2016, 11:29 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
S

But doesn't that simply make the Necromancer a more honed, more efficient Witch Doctor? Seems like the Necro is muscling the Witch Doctor out.
Thats the question

Its all well and good to make the distinction lorewise, that necros command sacrificing power for control, but witch doctors ask, sacrificing control for power, but how do you translate that ingame?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-07-2016, 04:47 AM

Guru of Gilneas

We know so little about the necromancer's abilities yet. We were just given a sprinkle of nostalgia (e.g. corpse explosion, skeletons, decrepify, bone spear) and new (e.g. blood rush, blood siphon), but there remains a lot to be seen.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:12 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Necromancer looks cooler.

Honestly though, I feel kinda sad that he's being introduced in such an anti-climactic way.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

The lore for the Diablo 2 Necromancer is different from the Diablo 3 Necromancer.

Wait... hold on, so this stupid thing isn't coming out til late 2017 now and it isn't even the same fucking Necromancer lorewise... are you shitting me...
Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
The lore for the Diablo 2 Necromancer is different from the Diablo 3 Necromancer.

Wait... hold on, so this stupid thing isn't coming out til late 2017 now and it isn't even the same fucking Necromancer lorewise... are you shitting me...
Seeing a new post made me think it had already been released. Now I'm disappointed.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Seeing a new post made me think it had already been released. Now I'm disappointed.
Didn't you know recycling a 17 year old established and balanced class design takes just as long and costs almost as much as putting out an entire expansion.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Blizzard is a joke.

I can't understand how there's still people playing Diablo III when it's such an old and forgotten game, and when there's better alternatives getting constant updates out there, like Path of Exile.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-05-2017, 07:45 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Undead Icon (War3)

So I'm running the Necro now. I find I'm steamrolling my way through everything. I'm steamrolling through, but I'm fairly dominant as a Witch Doctor as well. I can't yet say that the Necro is better than the Witch Doctor. It is more focused, but I can't say that it is better. That said I do like that level of control.

Aesthetically, they are of course different. That said, aesthetically, I find the necro much more at home in Diablo 3 than the Witch Doctor. Not just for the sake of nostalgia, but how the character feels. It's wardrobe/gear fits so well (Leoric's Crown suits my Necromancer better than any other character I've run). The powers mesh so well with Sanctuary Necromancy. It feels like it should have been in the game from the very beginning. Perhaps the Witch Doctor is more of a product of Blizzard's Voodoo obsessions (which got us Gabriel Tosh and repeated Troll Dungeons and Raids as well), whereas Necro was the class that always fit, and now it's home.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 07-05-2017 at 07:48 PM..
Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I felt the exact same way while grinding a new Necromancer to 70. I actually quite like the Witch Doctor and his overall thematics and demeanor in conversation with other characters, but he doesn't feel quite as endemic to the Diablo universe as the Necromancer does.

I'll still probably play both to the same extent and roll whichever one is more powerful for rift runs.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Sentinel Queen

Is there new music with this DLC ?
Old 07-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

I think a big part of it is that Diablo has always felt like a very subdued, Eurocentric place in terms of environment, culture, and architecture. WD makes sense when you think of Kurast, but not when you think of Tristram, Mt. Arreat, Hell (because how many half-naked folks run around a spiky volcanic demon world?) or Heaven (crystals, clean floors, cathedral-esque walls, etc)?

This is doubly true if you look at the spells, because frogs and spiders flying around crazily is very different from the horror of skeletons and walls of bone.

I think the better comparison needs to be between Druids and Witch Doctor's, and again, it's an issue of body/environmental horror (Druid) versus colorful plagues (frogs, fetishes, zombie dogs that don't really look all that horrifying).

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 PM

Critter
BattleTag: ProtoElektro#2125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Is there new music with this DLC ?
Yes, there is.
I really like the part at 9:40.

BTW there are werewolves in the Shrouded Moors.
Tyrael says this:
Quote:
Mysterious beasts have been sighted in the lands bordering Scosglen. Some say they are part man and part wolf, but I have not been able to confirm it with my own eyes. Whatever their origin, the destruction they leave in their wake suggests that we are right to fear the worst...
Druid wink wink nudge nudge

Necromancer lore
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/208...ncer-6-23-2017

Tags
critical thinking, diablo iii