Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Diablo Discussion

Old 09-08-2015, 01:41 PM

World Builder

Runes What would you do for a Diablo Reboot?

Title says it all, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Here's a few of mine.

Overall:
Personally I'd change it so that it's explicitly stated many worlds were created by the explosion of the UniversePearl, not just Anu and Tathamet, though they would be the most powerful, and their mutual destruction followed by Anu's ascension did affect the fabric of reality.

Thus, while angels and demons exist, so can other worlds.

I would keep sanctuary as a hideaway of angels and demons that deserted, and the nephalem as their offspring, but rather than each nephalem being a godlike being unto themselves, I'd make it so that the nephalem claim to fame is that they can control both angelic and demonic energies, as well as their own magics.

This way, they're still stronger than either of their parents since they can basically use whatever kind of magic is 'super effective' against that respective parent, while shielding themselves against the attacker's magic.

I would keep Inarius and Lilith's involvement, but make them less awful.

Inarius would still want to stay out of the eternal conflict and limit EVERYONE on Sanctuary's power using the worldstone. Whereas Lilith would want to have the Nephalem work with the demons and angels of sanctuary to conquer both heaven and hell in a benevolent dictatorship.

Inarius and his faction, composed of both Demons and Angels that want to stay out win, and weaken the denizens of sanctuary to keep them from being noticed by Heaven and Hell, and then fading into myth among the mortals, living isolated existences either as gods, local spirits and monsters, or sometimes heroes and hermits and guides... until the events of the Sin War, where a human magic caster unintentionally summoned a demon, alerting Hell to the existence of Sanctuary.

Inarius's Church of Light and the Triune formed by the Prime Evils still fight, Lilith still slips back in from Exile and throws a monkey wrench, and a few humans still regain Nephalem power and cause Heaven to take note.

Inarius is still captured and taken to hell to be tortured, but this time around he is not 'given' to Hell by the Angiris council, though they make no move to rescue him, Lilith also escapes with a small number of forces instead of being banished.

The Angiris council decide to let humanity develop until its comparable to heaven and hell and able to sit at the table of dimensional diplomacy itself, or to destroy it if it becomes corrupted. The heavenly host makes no official movements on sanctuary but individual angels are free to make subtle movements. Tyrael and a small number of his forces do so in order to continue countering the Prime Evils, and thus the Horadrim are formed from these students of the angels and Dark Exile take place.

Sidenotes: Worldstone is sill stolen to put onto an EXISTING planet that's dubbed Sancutary at the beginning of things, but this time it's explicitly explained how it was used and moved, Inarius and Lilith were able to do so while no one else was because they used it -together-.

Beings such as Trag'Oul exist and are the result of Tathamet's blood mixing with fragments of Anu's body during their millenia long battles, they balance the various worlds created by the Universepearl's original explosion.

On occasion other worlds and beings have attempted to get involved in the battle in Pandemonium for the worldstone, but they were generally curbstomped by the Angels and Demons, even forces that tried to aid one side or the other generally could not make a big difference due to Angels and Demons being so much more advanced.

More on Angels and Demons:
Demons are still reborn in the hells unless slain in specific ways, Angels are still born from the crystal arch. To counter the resulting superiority in numbers, individual angels are generally more powerful than individual demons. This is partly due to angelic 'biology', but also due to angels making more use of weapons and armor and other things whereas most demons do not develop much beyond the use of teeth and claws. Also, while existing angels are not reborn, even without the harmony for 'new-new' angels, a replacement angel will be born from the arch when an angel dies, unless that angel is corrupted or slain in a particularly devastating manner, though they lack the experience, powers, memories, and knowledge the previous angel had and must develop them anew unlike the demons.

Angels that are wounded may, at all times, disperse their being and return to the arch to heal, but such regeneration may take years.

Demons make very little use of 'engineering' style technology and usually shape flesh and bone to get what they need. Angel technology continues to look more like magitech.

Demons can corrupt angels and other beings into demonic life, and angels can purify other beings and demons into angelic life. Such beings lose their ability to be reborn from the hells and have no replacement at the arch and thus are looked down upon.

True Choice is common to mortals, but extremely rare among Angels and Demons, those that attempt to be evil or good on their own often go insane or find their bodies and minds warped to violent or self destructive insanity due to going against the nature of their beings. While it is possible for angels and demons to go against their nature this often results in them becoming a new type of being and losing their connection to the hells or arch. Such as Malthael and his Reapers.

Many angels and demons among Inarius and Lilith's forces became gods and spirits on sanctuary or became mortal to die alongside their children rather than return to the hells or heavens.

Humans/Nephalem:
Even weakened and without knowledge of their ancestry, humans are surprisingly powerful in the grand scheme of things.

Although individually most are far weaker than any angel or demon, humans as a whole are nearly as numerous as the heavens or hells, though divided into many nations, despite having existed for a fraction of the time. Their magical and technological development, despite having essentially been reset by the Worldstone's limitations, has also developed at a rapid pace, and while far behind anything used in heaven or even most of hell's rudimentary technology, the developments are unsettling to many outside of sanctuary, akin to seeing a child run around with a shotgun.

Other realms, outside of heaven and hell, have occasionally come into contact with sanctuary, using it as a passage or refuge, but never able to establish a foothold due to angels and demons pushing back at any attempt, not wanting to risk other realms coming into possession of the worldstone.

On occasion, individual humans are able to tap into aspects of their heritage despite the worldstone's limitations, either through demonic or angelic intervention, or their own power growing to the point that it cannot be fully constrained. Although these heroes and adventurers are shadows of True Nephalem, they still have enough power to make quite a difference in the world.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Constantly fighting the Lords of Hell devalued a lot of their power. This is where I would say that Diablo 2 set up a terrible precedent: i.e. we fought and killed Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal - five of the seven Lords of Hell - over the course of five short acts. I would probably erase a lot of the Diablo 2 and later mythos from existence, such as the nephalim or even the Worldstone.

Start with Diablo 1 as is. Slowly, build outward, but stay focused on small-scale gothic horror and human stories. Tone matters. Bigger is not inherently better. "Epic" should not equate to cosmic-scale, infinite armies, and godlike superhero mortal characters constantly receiving power-ups. Mortals should remain mortal. The "epic" of gothic horror should entail the inner struggle of good and evil, sanity and insanity, and purity and corruption within the mortal self.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Not what I would do for a Klondike Bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:16 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Not much. Everything up to LOD is okay. It's get rid of the nephaelim bullshit though.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:58 PM

Critter

If you like to delete a lot of Diablo 2 and Mythos follows from existence, such as the Nephilim or even Worldstone, why?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:22 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Constantly fighting the Lords of Hell devalued a lot of their power. This is where I would say that Diablo 2 set up a terrible precedent: i.e. we fought and killed Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal - five of the seven Lords of Hell - over the course of five short acts. I would probably erase a lot of the Diablo 2 and later mythos from existence, such as the nephalim or even the Worldstone.

Start with Diablo 1 as is. Slowly, build outward, but stay focused on small-scale gothic horror and human stories. Tone matters. Bigger is not inherently better. "Epic" should not equate to cosmic-scale, infinite armies, and godlike superhero mortal characters constantly receiving power-ups. Mortals should remain mortal. The "epic" of gothic horror should entail the inner struggle of good and evil, sanity and insanity, and purity and corruption within the mortal self.
I loved the Nehalem twist. It was based on actual mythology and it painted an interesting picture of heaven and hell (both sides are kinda dicks.)

Tyrael originally being racist kinda worked; it made him less perfect knowing he had once been like Imperius but mellowed
Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

Yeah, maybe have like only one Lord of Hell per game, at the end. In a small concentrated story like Diablo 1. Maybe strange events happening at the Xianhai magic academy or stuff like that. Moving all over the place makes things less creepy.

Tags
diablo, revisionism