Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 PM

Banished

Personally i've never seen the point of drinking until you feel bad and puke and i don't understand why people enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
If there are concrete differences between "male" and "female" brains, and the brians of transsexuals/transgender exhibit the traits of the opposite sex (as has been claimed to often be the case), would you not say that this is proof of the existence of "trans"?
You would need other signs of being intersex. It would require that your brain cells have female XX chromosomes pairs, while the rest of the body is completely made up of male XY chromosome pair cells. It would require that the mutation be very "selective" in where it appeared, and there's just no proof of that. There would be proof in other parts of the body, if that were the case.

Your brain grows on the exact same template as the rest of your body, so for it to have a magically different set of opposite sex chromosomes would require a freakish case of chimerism, where you absorbed your opposite sex twin in the womb and got their brain. And, since the brain grows on that same template, if you are completely verified as a "male" or a "female", that means that the brain can't be "miswired" to be the "opposite sex", because it grew with male or female sex of the rest of the body as it's blueprint.

Also, if it is based on concrete physical differences, then the central idea behind the "trans" group, that "gender" and "sex" are "choices", is disproven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.

Last edited by Ganishka; 06-13-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I had no idea before I began the post, so I google searched, and wiki told me it was about attraction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_identity

You can't really pin down "modern culture". If a sizable group of people believe something, then a certain "culture" can be said to.
Ahh. I totally misread that as gender identity.... Fair enough on modern culture.

Quote:
There is no "gender", nor a choice of what "gender" you are. It's dogshit cooked up by a child molesting shitbag who mutilated (and molested) one of his patients.
nádleehí, Mahu, sekrata, alyha, Hijras, Femminiello, and many more throughout history all say gender concepts, and the idea behind gender have been around for a very, very long time.

Many of them provide unique gender roles that are culturally defined.

And the brain thing doesnt disprove that gender doesnt exist. It reinforces that gender is a culturally created construct independent of Sex.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:45 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
You would need other signs of being intersex. It would require that your brain cells have female XX chromosomes pairs, while the rest of the body is completely made up of male XY chromosome pair cells. It would require that the mutation be very "selective" in where it appeared, and there's just no proof of that. There would be proof in other parts of the body, if that were the case.

Your brain grows on the exact same template as the rest of your body, so for it to have a magically different set of opposite sex chromosomes would require a freakish case of chimerism, where you absorbed your opposite sex twin in the womb and got their brain. And, since the brain grows on that same template, if you are completely verified as a "male" or a "female", that means that the brain can't be "miswired" to be the "opposite sex", because it grew with male or female sex of the rest of the body as it's blueprint.
Blueprints, especially biological ones, can contain errors or be misinterpreted. Sometimes said errors are beneficial, sometimes they aren't.

Unless you don't believe in mutations, evolution and birth defects, I don't know why you'd consider brains to be exempt from them.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Elune

I think it breaks down to conventions created by humans. I think most human behavior is based off of the environment. Mutations do happen but they are exceedingly rare. Cultural stimulation would explain a lot more the differences you see in the way people act across the planet and through out history.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:03 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
If there are concrete differences between "male" and "female" brains, and the brians of transsexuals/transgender exhibit the traits of the opposite sex (as has been claimed to often be the case), would you not say that this is proof of the existence of "trans"?
So I read some about the brain differences: http://www.webmd.com/brain/features/...-brains-differ

It doesn't help me grasp identity, because:

Quote:
Women have more connections going left and right across the two halves of the brain. This could give them an advantage in pulling together information from different sources and drawing conclusions. The left half of the brain handles logical thinking, and the right is associated with intuition.

Men's brains have more connections from front to back, which may heighten their perception. They may be more attuned to what's going on around them so they can take action. Men have stronger connections between brain areas for motor and spatial skills. That means males tend to do a better job at tasks that need hand-eye coordination and understanding where objects are in space, such as throwing a ball or hammering a nail.
Well, I frankly haven't thought much about whether I'm better at hammering a nail or at pulling together information from sources. I feel like I'm moderately able to do both, not spectacular at either.

And hey! Maybe that's because

Quote:
While some brain features are more common in one sex than the other, and some are typically found in both, most people have a unique mix.
Quote:
It turned out that maybe 6 in every 100 of the brains they studied were consistently a single sex. Many others had a patchwork quilt of masculine and feminine features that varied widely from person to person.
Well, pff. I read things like that, and it's literally telling me that our understanding of a "male brain" vs. "female brain" doesn't conform to 94% of who they observed! If there is really so much overlap, then how is it determined which traits are male and which are female?

. . .

I have a Facebook friend who took testosterone to transition from a female to a male. This friend has shorter hair and a deeper voice now, sure... but they still post cutesy Facebook pictures with another female-to-male friend, with kissyface emojis and such. At first I assumed it was a gay relationship (because hetero guy friends don't post kissyface emojis with each other, right?), but this doesn't seem to be the case, and I realized the two of them are just acting like... well... stereotypical girl friends. But then I thought, "Shame on you, sexist Grackle! Are you saying that hetero man buddies CAN'T post hugging pictures with kissyface emojis? Take your chauvinist male cliches elsewhere!"

And okay. But still... not helping me grasp the "feel like a man" or "feel like a woman" thing. I'm not trying to be a broken record. I know these people aren't making their feelings up.

But I also don't think it's a case of, "I want to watch football and drink a beer, and I'm pretty good at spatial location, so my brain must be a male!"
Old 06-13-2017, 04:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
Blueprints, especially biological ones, can contain errors or be misinterpreted. Sometimes said errors are beneficial, sometimes they aren't.

Unless you don't believe in mutations, evolution and birth defects, I don't know why you'd consider brains to be exempt from them.
Yes, but most of those "errors" are small or unnoticeable things. And, as I said, if the brain has two sets of chromosomes, then the rest of the body would have proof. Those small errors or mutations you mention are a world apart from an entire organ of the body, and just that very specific organ, having a completely different opposite sex set of chromosomes. It just isn't possible, at least not in the numbers that the "transgender" community claims. People with progeria likely have a higher percentage of the population.

Quote:
Quote:
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, but most of those "errors" are small or unnoticeable things. And, as I said, if the brain has two sets of chromosomes, then the rest of the body would have proof. Those small errors or mutations you mention are a world apart from an entire organ of the body, and just that very specific organ, having a completely different opposite sex set of chromosomes. It just isn't possible, at least not in the numbers that the "transgender" community claims. People with progeria likely have a higher percentage of the population.
I too was talking about small mutations, not something as far fetched as the extreme case of chimerism you are describing.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:42 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
There is no such thing as "trans". You are born with either XY or XX chromosomes. There is no "gender", nor a choice of what "gender" you are. It's dogshit cooked up by a child molesting shitbag who mutilated (and molested) one of his patients.

Sure, there is "intersex", but THAT requires physical and genetic proof, scientifically verifiable mutations by having extra chromosomes, that you have both "male" and "female" genes and sometimes body parts. It is also exceedingly rare.

Also, if there are concrete differences between "male" and "female" brains, then that means that the idea of "gender" is disproven, as there is physical hardwired differences between men and women.

So, no matter which way you slice it, the "gender spectrum" "trans" crowd are fucked.
The worse part is that they aren't even transexuals, they're just hopping into some bandwagon, like the gluten diet bullshit, or the PTSD crowd. Now no one takes the people with the real problems seriously because of these imbeciles.

Transexuals have a medical problem, that needs therapy, treatment, whatever. It's real, it's a verified disorder. All this "I identify as a whatever" retards are hurting the people with the real problems. What's next, amputee-kin? Retards using wheelchairs because they identify as crippled people?

Quote:
If there are concrete differences between "male" and "female" brains, and the brains of transsexuals/transgender exhibit the traits of the opposite sex (as has been claimed to often be the case), would you not say that this is proof of the existence of "trans"?
Trans is not a new state, it's an alteration from one of the original two, just like blind people are not a new species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
nádleehí, Mahu, sekrata, alyha, Hijras, Femminiello, and many more throughout history all say gender concepts, and the idea behind gender have been around for a very, very long time.

Many of them provide unique gender roles that are culturally defined.

And the brain thing doesnt disprove that gender doesnt exist. It reinforces that gender is a culturally created construct independent of Sex.
Pointless. Some people believe the Earth is flat. They can whine and cry all they want.

Science and biology are universal.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-14-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Trans is not a new state, it's an alteration from one of the original two, just like blind people are not a new species.
Nor did I say it is.

I just pointed out that there is reason to believe that transsexualism is real, which Ganishka seems to disagree with.

By the way, starting with Baron's question, how did we reach the topic of "real" and "poser" transsexuals, and how would laymen like us even go about identifying them?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Elune

I wonder when our sexual mores will change again.

Before it's destruction Pompeii​ had a more outwardly and permissive sexual mores and it was reflected in their art work. The excavators hundreds of years later felt some of it was too obscene and had destroyed some of it.

I just feel it is cyclic. I wonder how our grandchildren will see these sort of things.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:33 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
The excavators hundreds of years later felt some of it was too obscene and had destroyed some of it.
Bah, belongs in a museum.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
The worse part is that they aren't even transexuals, they're just hopping into some bandwagon, like the gluten diet bullshit, or the PTSD crowd. Now no one takes the people with the real problems seriously because of these imbeciles.

Transexuals have a medical problem, that needs therapy, treatment, whatever. It's real, it's a verified disorder. All this "I identify as a whatever" retards are hurting the people with the real problems. What's next, amputee-kin? Retards using wheelchairs because they identify as crippled people?
It's funny that you mention that...

I introduce "transableism"!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-14-2017, 06:26 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Transexuals have a medical problem, that needs therapy, treatment, whatever. It's real, it's a verified disorder.
So is homosexuality, right? Those people need conversion therapy, don't they?

Quote:
What's next, amputee-kin? Retards using wheelchairs because they identify as crippled people?
You're against gay marriage, right? If people are allowed to get gay married, next they'll be clamoring for polygamy and marrying animals!
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 06-14-2017 at 06:29 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 06:51 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
You're against gay marriage, right? If people are allowed to get gay married, next they'll be clamoring for polygamy and marrying animals!
You jest, but there are people on this very forum that think polygamy would be no bad thing.
Quote:
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
You jest, but there are people on this very forum that think polygamy would be no bad thing.
Yeah polygamy or polyamory aren't exactly rare ideas or something that are socially unacceptable.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah polygamy or polyamory aren't exactly rare ideas or something that are socially unacceptable.
Member #14
Old 06-14-2017, 07:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
No I will not be your second wife.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
No I will not be your second wife.
You said it, not me.
Member #14
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
You said it, not me.
I am talking about other people. I prefer hetero monogamy.

Liberals do all those other things.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Y'know, one the one hand I completely understand what you mean.

On the other hand, imagine how many stupid romantic plots would be cut short if instead of a love triangle it were socially acceptable to just have them all in a relationship together.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-14-2017, 10:48 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
It's funny that you mention that...

I introduce "transableism"!
Okay. So I feel like if I grasped the transgender mentality, I would also grasp this "transablist" mentality.

And I'm starting to, but not in a good way. This stuff about "my body feels wrong" is a little... it doesn't feel like something to celebrate, yeah?

EDIT: The closest empathetic understanding I can summon are the mild OCD examples in my life. Feeling like I didn't lock a door right until I've pressed it four times, saying a noise outloud because I feel like I'll be unsettled until I do, that sort of thing.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 06-14-2017 at 10:55 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 11:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Okay. So I feel like if I grasped the transgender mentality, I would also grasp this "transablist" mentality.

And I'm starting to, but not in a good way. This stuff about "my body feels wrong" is a little... it doesn't feel like something to celebrate, yeah?
Drawing parallels between transsexual issues and things like "transablism" (which has only been given the label lately, presumably by the anti-transsexual movement) makes about as much sense as drawing parallels between homosexuals and bestiality enthusiasts, as I pointed out earlier. If you recall, that was also a big argument against gay marriage a few years ago.
Member #14
Old 06-14-2017, 11:10 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Drawing parallels between transsexual issues and things like "transablism" (which has only been given the label lately, presumably by the anti-transsexual movement) makes about as much sense as drawing parallels between homosexuals and bestiality enthusiasts, as I pointed out earlier. If you recall, that was also a big argument against gay marriage a few years ago.
Your eyes flash a warning of "SLIPPERY SLOPE" and you run! But try to take a moment and not worry about that.

Tom agonizes over his right hand. He has always felt off about it. It distresses him day and night. He wants it gone.

1) He cuts it off. Do you prosecute him?
2) His friend Jane cuts it off for him. Do you prosecute her?
3) For the first time in his life, Tom feels authentically happy. Can you share that happiness with him?

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 06-14-2017 at 11:12 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 11:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Eh, and why not, as long as polyandry and group marriage is also legal?

Tags
realspace, serious business