Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-30-2018, 06:21 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
The decision to cut the high elves came way before the introduction of the faction system, though. Staats stresses that Blizzard was pushed to the ends of their limits with World of Warcraft (apparently, the development nearly tore the company apart, and many were left burned out), and with resources scarce, the last thing they wanted to do was to do two very similar races at once.

The high elves were the first to be cut from the original pool of ten races (humans, high elves, dwarves, orcs, tauren, night elves, goblin, naga, undead, demons). Then came the demons and the naga, both because the workload to make them work animation/model/item wise was thrice the other races. Then finally the goblins, mostly because the team wanted them to be very scifi/steampunk, yet felt all these assets could not be really utilized elsewhere. The producers also wanted to cut the undead at one point to save resources, but the rest of the team blocked that.
Sure, but blood elves could have been introduced later much like some of the other cut races listed. In fact, without a faction system, they could have cut back their workload even more since there would be less need to work around faction-based symmetry. Less work making redundant quest chains. Less work having design more zones per faction.

I also can't help but get the feeling from all this background info that some of the designers have poor tastes and give zero shits about lore, story, or game immersion. It's mostly "rool of kool" with unironic misspellings.

Quote:
I agree, but the diary makes a point that Blizzard believes that the faction system, while not lore friendly, made for a better and more successful game, and I am not sure if they are wrong on that (though impossible to say definitely).
I am not discounting that WoW is a vastly more popular game and two faction tribalism may have contributed to that success when I say this, but I do think that GW2 has made for a more enjoyable game for my preferences. And that lack of a faction system contributes greatly to those ends. I am never faced with the prospect of wondering whether I can play with my friends based upon the race of my character. And I can play any race-class combination as well. The community itself is considerably less hostile and toxic, and the usual faction-based arguments/whining encountered here or in the story forums are completely absent in the GW2 community. As I enjoy community-engagement/discussion as part of my gaming experience, that leads to a generally more pleasant environment. And while WoW would not be the game that it is today without that faction system, on the flip side, it would not be the game that it is today. So I definitely wonder how this game (and its communtiy) could and would have developed without this need for a faction-based game structure and metaplot.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:36 PM

Chimaera

Funny enough, now the Naga are the only among canned from Vanilla Races to not be playable... yet.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Sure, but blood elves could have been introduced later much like some of the other cut races listed. In fact, without a faction system, they could have cut back their workload even more since there would be less need to work around faction-based symmetry. Less work making redundant quest chains. Less work having design more zones per faction.

I also can't help but get the feeling from all this background info that some of the designers have poor tastes and give zero shits about lore, story, or game immersion. It's mostly "rool of kool" with unironic misspellings.

I am not discounting that WoW is a vastly more popular game and two faction tribalism may have contributed to that success when I say this, but I do think that GW2 has made for a more enjoyable game for my preferences. And that lack of a faction system contributes greatly to those ends. I am never faced with the prospect of wondering whether I can play with my friends based upon the race of my character. And I can play any race-class combination as well. The community itself is considerably less hostile and toxic, and the usual faction-based arguments/whining encountered here or in the story forums are completely absent in the GW2 community. As I enjoy community-engagement/discussion as part of my gaming experience, that leads to a generally more pleasant environment. And while WoW would not be the game that it is today without that faction system, on the flip side, it would not be the game that it is today. So I definitely wonder how this game (and its communtiy) could and would have developed without this need for a faction-based game structure and metaplot.
IMO WoW without the faction system would have the very same appeal (and possibly fate) of LineAge.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:38 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
IMO WoW without the faction system would have the very same appeal (and possibly fate) of LineAge.
Conflict is good. I think the factions are good for the game, even if people don't feel it. Without them, it would be just the "evil of the week" each expansion.

Sure, the faction conflict could be handled better. And a factionless world can be done good if there are constant conflict between the races (alliances chancing, wars and so), for instance. But both would require Blizzard to up their storytelling, and the faction conflict is easier to do than the later option.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Funny enough, now the Naga are the only among canned from Vanilla Races to not be playable... yet.
I bet they will be the first "heroic" race. One of the few non-humanoid races added into the game because of immense popularity and demand. They will be neutral so Blizz can get the most mileage out of a race they have to specially design armor for each time.

Other candidates include demons (probably dreadlords or doomguard), centaur, nerubians (possibly undead ones) and so on.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I bet they will be the first "heroic" race. One of the few non-humanoid races added into the game because of immense popularity and demand. They will be neutral so Blizz can get the most mileage out of a race they have to specially design armor for each time.

Other candidates include demons (probably dreadlords or doomguard), centaur, nerubians (possibly undead ones) and so on.
Players: We want High Elves and Ethereals!
Blizzard: Here's your Void Elves.

Players: We want Naga!
Blizzard: Here's your 2-legged NotNaga.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:49 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Players: We want High Elves and Ethereals!
Blizzard: Here's your Void Elves.

Players: We want Naga!
Blizzard: Here's your 2-legged NotNaga.
Unless they are Horde, then they will be the naga everyone knows and love. And Alliance will complain about Horde bias. And Horde will complain that they got a race without proper feet gear, with clipping cloak and with some messy jumping animation.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old Today, 02:47 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Unless they are Horde, then they will be the naga everyone knows and love. And Alliance will complain about Horde bias. And Horde will complain that they got a race without proper feet gear, with clipping cloak and with some messy jumping animation.
Just as usual. People who picked the plain and generic faction would complain that the more distinct yet broken faction gets more distinct, broken races, all the while clamoring for more generic and plain races as well.

The faction system has really been a grave mistake, not only is the game itself schizophrenic, even the playerbase at large is.