Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-30-2018, 06:21 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,194

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
The decision to cut the high elves came way before the introduction of the faction system, though. Staats stresses that Blizzard was pushed to the ends of their limits with World of Warcraft (apparently, the development nearly tore the company apart, and many were left burned out), and with resources scarce, the last thing they wanted to do was to do two very similar races at once.

The high elves were the first to be cut from the original pool of ten races (humans, high elves, dwarves, orcs, tauren, night elves, goblin, naga, undead, demons). Then came the demons and the naga, both because the workload to make them work animation/model/item wise was thrice the other races. Then finally the goblins, mostly because the team wanted them to be very scifi/steampunk, yet felt all these assets could not be really utilized elsewhere. The producers also wanted to cut the undead at one point to save resources, but the rest of the team blocked that.
Sure, but blood elves could have been introduced later much like some of the other cut races listed. In fact, without a faction system, they could have cut back their workload even more since there would be less need to work around faction-based symmetry. Less work making redundant quest chains. Less work having design more zones per faction.

I also can't help but get the feeling from all this background info that some of the designers have poor tastes and give zero shits about lore, story, or game immersion. It's mostly "rool of kool" with unironic misspellings.

Quote:
I agree, but the diary makes a point that Blizzard believes that the faction system, while not lore friendly, made for a better and more successful game, and I am not sure if they are wrong on that (though impossible to say definitely).
I am not discounting that WoW is a vastly more popular game and two faction tribalism may have contributed to that success when I say this, but I do think that GW2 has made for a more enjoyable game for my preferences. And that lack of a faction system contributes greatly to those ends. I am never faced with the prospect of wondering whether I can play with my friends based upon the race of my character. And I can play any race-class combination as well. The community itself is considerably less hostile and toxic, and the usual faction-based arguments/whining encountered here or in the story forums are completely absent in the GW2 community. As I enjoy community-engagement/discussion as part of my gaming experience, that leads to a generally more pleasant environment. And while WoW would not be the game that it is today without that faction system, on the flip side, it would not be the game that it is today. So I definitely wonder how this game (and its communtiy) could and would have developed without this need for a faction-based game structure and metaplot.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Cacofonix Cacofonix is offline

Chimaera
Cacofonix's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 250

Default

Funny enough, now the Naga are the only among canned from Vanilla Races to not be playable... yet.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 PM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,258
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Sure, but blood elves could have been introduced later much like some of the other cut races listed. In fact, without a faction system, they could have cut back their workload even more since there would be less need to work around faction-based symmetry. Less work making redundant quest chains. Less work having design more zones per faction.

I also can't help but get the feeling from all this background info that some of the designers have poor tastes and give zero shits about lore, story, or game immersion. It's mostly "rool of kool" with unironic misspellings.

I am not discounting that WoW is a vastly more popular game and two faction tribalism may have contributed to that success when I say this, but I do think that GW2 has made for a more enjoyable game for my preferences. And that lack of a faction system contributes greatly to those ends. I am never faced with the prospect of wondering whether I can play with my friends based upon the race of my character. And I can play any race-class combination as well. The community itself is considerably less hostile and toxic, and the usual faction-based arguments/whining encountered here or in the story forums are completely absent in the GW2 community. As I enjoy community-engagement/discussion as part of my gaming experience, that leads to a generally more pleasant environment. And while WoW would not be the game that it is today without that faction system, on the flip side, it would not be the game that it is today. So I definitely wonder how this game (and its communtiy) could and would have developed without this need for a faction-based game structure and metaplot.
IMO WoW without the faction system would have the very same appeal (and possibly fate) of LineAge.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-01-2018, 04:38 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,062

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
IMO WoW without the faction system would have the very same appeal (and possibly fate) of LineAge.
Conflict is good. I think the factions are good for the game, even if people don't feel it. Without them, it would be just the "evil of the week" each expansion.

Sure, the faction conflict could be handled better. And a factionless world can be done good if there are constant conflict between the races (alliances chancing, wars and so), for instance. But both would require Blizzard to up their storytelling, and the faction conflict is easier to do than the later option.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-03-2018, 08:36 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,069

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Funny enough, now the Naga are the only among canned from Vanilla Races to not be playable... yet.
I bet they will be the first "heroic" race. One of the few non-humanoid races added into the game because of immense popularity and demand. They will be neutral so Blizz can get the most mileage out of a race they have to specially design armor for each time.

Other candidates include demons (probably dreadlords or doomguard), centaur, nerubians (possibly undead ones) and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Ujimasa Hojo Ujimasa Hojo is online now

Eternal
Ujimasa Hojo's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 4,161

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I bet they will be the first "heroic" race. One of the few non-humanoid races added into the game because of immense popularity and demand. They will be neutral so Blizz can get the most mileage out of a race they have to specially design armor for each time.

Other candidates include demons (probably dreadlords or doomguard), centaur, nerubians (possibly undead ones) and so on.
Players: We want High Elves and Ethereals!
Blizzard: Here's your Void Elves.

Players: We want Naga!
Blizzard: Here's your 2-legged NotNaga.
__________________


Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:49 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,062

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Players: We want High Elves and Ethereals!
Blizzard: Here's your Void Elves.

Players: We want Naga!
Blizzard: Here's your 2-legged NotNaga.
Unless they are Horde, then they will be the naga everyone knows and love. And Alliance will complain about Horde bias. And Horde will complain that they got a race without proper feet gear, with clipping cloak and with some messy jumping animation.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Today, 02:47 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,822

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Unless they are Horde, then they will be the naga everyone knows and love. And Alliance will complain about Horde bias. And Horde will complain that they got a race without proper feet gear, with clipping cloak and with some messy jumping animation.
Just as usual. People who picked the plain and generic faction would complain that the more distinct yet broken faction gets more distinct, broken races, all the while clamoring for more generic and plain races as well.

The faction system has really been a grave mistake, not only is the game itself schizophrenic, even the playerbase at large is.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.