Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Should MMOs have Factions?
Yes, they're fine. 5 10.42%
Yes, but they need work. 13 27.08%
No, not until they improve them. 3 6.25%
No, factions are bad. 9 18.75%
It depends on how it is done. 18 37.50%
I don't care. 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default Should MMOs have Factions?

It's no secret that the fan base is frustrated with the two faction system. Not just from a lore pov, but from a gameplay one as well. You would imagine that MMOs would try and avoid factions as a result. Some do so like Guild Wars, but several MMOs still have at least two factions. Elder Scrolls Online even has three factions. Are these MMOs handling them well? Should there be more factions, less, or none?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Elune

None. All they succeed in doing is driving the players against each other. Put humans in a group of any sort and they'll always try to prove their group is better, it's just how we are.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 AM

Elune

If you have to twist, or ignore prior story/lore in order to get your two-three factions, then it's bad.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

I thought Final Fantasy XI managed its faction system pretty well.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
None. All they succeed in doing is driving the players against each other. Put humans in a group of any sort and they'll always try to prove their group is better, it's just how we are.
And they also allow lazy story writing to happen. The factions need lore? Well, I guess it's fine if the main races get some action.

It doesn't have to happen, but it sadly does in some cases.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
And they also allow lazy story writing to happen. The factions need lore? Well, I guess it's fine if the main races get some action.

It doesn't have to happen, but it sadly does in some cases.
They also consume the entire universe. Nothing matters if they're not on team 1 or team 2.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM

Banished

It all depends on A/ The IP/Universe the MMO is set in and B/ What kind of MMO it is.

Planetside (and Planetside 2) wouldn't work nearly as well without the 3 specific Empires, for example.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM

Elune

I'm honestly fine with them. Though in retrospect, maybe I would've chosen "fine but needs work," as I think they can be improved. But I'm happy with factions.

I do think three factions is the absolute most, though. That's stretching things, but doable.

My prior MMO, Anarchy Online, did factions fairly well, I thought. To keep it short, there were two factions at war with one another as well as a neutral one that could visit both sides' towns (and it had a few towns of its own) but the neutrals didn't get all the benefits of the two larger factions. You also generally knew those from the other side, though that was likely a byproduct of AO only having three servers (due to the small playerbase), so you would often see the others at events like the parties thrown by the player run radio station (lot of fun, those).

Races weren't separated by faction in AO, though I like that in WoW.

I think something like AO's system would work well for most, though I would keep the race split for WoW and other MMOs whose lore has reasons for it.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 AM

Elune

Warhammer Online
Old 04-16-2014, 11:20 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

One thing to note is that I don't mind the existence of the Alliance and Horde. I would just have preferred it if not every race had to be a part of those two factions, and if members of one faction weren't hostile to those of the other faction. Basically, they'd mostly just be an aesthetic thing. We had peace after WC 3, so that'd been possible.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Eternal

As long as the player is not bound to any particular faction, I do not care. However, factions should not be such a big element of gameplay. One should be a character, and then perhaps one can choose to join the Argent Dawn at some point, or whatever, but that would not substantially impact gameplay.

I do not agree with the Alliance/Horde system, whereby one is in a faction and that's that. People should be able to choose whether to be in a faction, or whether to be on their own as an individual.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Elune

SWTOR's faction system is fine and works well. This is due to the game's emphasis on story from the ground up and that the developers are very clear on what each faction is intended to be.

Your faction on the whole being good or evil also doesn't prohibit you from being the opposite.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Your faction on the whole being good or evil also doesn't prohibit you from being the opposite.
Or NPCs for that matter. Just one NPC in SWtOR has more character than the Alliance and Horde combined.

That's probably why the Faction system is so horrible in WoW. Horde players insist that the Horde is not only good, but perfect. Acknowledging any fault or responsibility is completely out of the question as far as they're concerned. It's always someone else's fault, be it Blizzard or Alliance players, or the various Hordes that have ever existed.

There's an incredibly reluctance to call a spade a spade among the Horde player base. Not so with SWtOR. Not only are people comfortable with the idea of evil, but they're also willing to discuss the merit involved. Bad guy may have a point, people don't get uptight about it.

I will say this; Sith Lords generally don't have a victim complex. Culturally, there is a certain amount of prejudice against Jedi, born out a near mythical time when the Sith were actively hunted to extinction by the Jedi, but it's no where near as pathologically evident among NPCs or players as it is in WoW.

Last edited by Westlee; 04-16-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Elune

I have to agree with Eagan and Fojar on this one.

There really was no point to having the factions after WC3. WC3 showed everyone working together and the whole driving point of the story wasn't Horde versus Alliance, it was everyone banding together for survival and putting the past behind them.

TOR works better as a dual faction because from the first scene in Star Wars, it's been a Galactic Empire versus the Rebel Alliance. You know who the good and bad guys are. Even though you may have evil and good guys within that faction, the overall faction has it's role.

Which unfortunately is a lesson that WoW can't or doesn't seem to want to learn, so you keep getting this "The Horde is evil! Now they are good! Oh wait, now they are evil! Stop, they are good again!" and the Alliance will stay "Captain America".

So unless the story calls for it, either no factions, or have players choose their faction.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 PM

Elune

What I like about Wildstar (hasn't come out yet though) is that despite having a good and evil faction, both appear to be so far fun to play. They don't seem preachy about their views (maybe the Cassians). Since we're fighting on a lost planet, hopefully there won't be accusations of faction bias for losing territory.

How is ESO handling 3 factions so far? Since people seem to want a third faction for WoW.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
What I like about Wildstar (hasn't come out yet though) is that despite having a good and evil faction, both appear to be so far fun to play. They don't seem preachy about their views (maybe the Cassians). Since we're fighting on a lost planet, hopefully there won't be accusations of faction bias for losing territory.

How is ESO handling 3 factions so far? Since people seem to want a third faction for WoW.
I'm not so sure. Wildstar's brilliance with its faction setup is that it does not so much present them as good vs. evil, but as civilized order vs. anarchic chaos from the perspective of one faction and tyranny vs. freedom from the other.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I'm not so sure. Wildstar's brilliance with its faction setup is that it does not so much present them as good vs. evil, but as civilized order vs. anarchic chaos from the perspective of one faction and tyranny vs. freedom from the other.
I'll give you one guess which faction is going to be more popular...
Old 04-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlee View Post
The one with the coolest races. Having humans on both factions will help. That's essentially the function that blood elves served for the Horde, and that's what allowed the Horde's population to boost.

Last edited by Genesis; 04-16-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
That doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
The one with the coolest races. Having humans on both factions will help. That's essentially the function that blood elves served for the Horde, and that's what allowed the Horde's population to boost.
Empire in SWtOR has a higher population. It's the evil, chaotic faction with an emphasis on domination and otherwise doing whatever the heck you want for the lols. Suffice to say, light-side Sith are f-ing awesome because everyone just gives you a blank dumb-founded look when you don't kill people and avoid violent confrontations. I've never felt like such a troll in my life.

Plus all the Galaxy's fashion designers joined the Darkside.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Both sides have humans, so on one side you have sexy robots, sexy beast people, and gerbils. On the other side, you have sexy zombies, sexy bunny girls, and sexy rock people.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
That doesn't have to be a bad thing.
I disagree.

Look at how vile and hateful WoW players are to each other. Spend five minutes on the official forums and tell me the faction split is a good thing.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
I disagree.

Look at how vile and hateful WoW players are to each other. Spend five minutes on the official forums and tell me the faction split is a good thing.
The official forms wouldn't exist.... nobody would have anything to talk about there...
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Order will prevail. The boldest measures are safest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Both sides have humans, so on one side you have sexy robots, sexy beast people, and gerbils. On the other side, you have sexy zombies, sexy bunny girls, and sexy rock people.
They put bunny girls into a game and they expected to maintain faction balance? REALLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Order will prevail. The boldest measures are safest.
In a consequence free environment, evil will always prevail.

Tags
faction-based erections, factions are dumb