Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Undead Icon (War3) Cut Content

I'll make the introduction short and sweet: the purpose here is to gather information on content that was cancelled.

World of Warcraft
Azshara's Crater: Unreleased battleground set in Azshara. It functions like AV and AB combined (from what I remember). It was referred to in-game.

Kezan: Was originally going to be a[n endgame?] hub. Players would ride a boat there.

Emerald Dream: Referred to many times in blue posts/Q&As, etc. Said to be something awesome for druids.

Unknown: Dragon Isle raid; Portal (maybe to a raid, Naxxramas?) at the end of Stratholme.

The Burning Crusade
*Strangly, there wasn't much information on cut content that I can remember*

Unknown: Tor'watha (a giant now-removed portal that was in the Blood Elf starting zone -- I forgot the name -- but anyway, it was an dungeon/raid portal).

Wrath of the Lich King
Dance Studio/Bard: Both were used as jokes, but then I think Blizzard started working on them.

Azjol'Nerub zone(s): Actual questing zone(s) with a ton of lore. Replaced by the cut Azjol'Nerub raid which was replaced by two Azjol'Nerub dungeons.

Unknown: Malygos/Sunwell plot (giant plot hole to fill and Sunwell had WotLK loading screen art); Crystalsong Forest plot/quests; Azure Sanctum, Verdant Sanctum, [yellow] Sanctum; Gurubashi Arena.

Cataclysm
Abyssal Maw raid: Completely cut, nothing replaced it.

War of the Ancients raid: Replaced by the War of the Ancients dungeon.

Unknown: A TF2-Payload-inspired battleground.

I'm really hitting rock bottom with my thoughts. Hopefully you folks can find some information.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

They originally promised that we'd go to other planets from Outland, and one of them would have Turalyon and Alleria. They also promised us siege weapons and a battleground in HFP (which may or may not have been accessed through the CoT and take place during BtDP).

The Dance Studio in WotLK wasn't a joke, it was promised in the original announcement and we hadn't heard from it since.

Tor'watha wasn't cut, it was just where they were originally planning to put the entrance to ZA, but then they decided that having a raid portal right next to the capitol would be a bad idea.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Ranger

New dances wasn't a joke.
It was even on the very first Wotlk trailer, it was one of the main SELLING points.

I still want another dance for my Fem BE Rogue Blizz.
She's not Britney -.-
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
I'll make the introduction short and sweet: the purpose here is to gather information on content that was cancelled.

World of Warcraft
Azshara's Crater: Unreleased battleground set in Azshara. It functions like AV and AB combined (from what I remember). It was referred to in-game.

Kezan: Was originally going to be a[n endgame?] hub. Players would ride a boat there.

Emerald Dream: Referred to many times in blue posts/Q&As, etc. Said to be something awesome for druids.

Unknown: Dragon Isle raid; Portal (maybe to a raid, Naxxramas?) at the end of Stratholme.

The Burning Crusade
*Strangly, there wasn't much information on cut content that I can remember*

Unknown: Tor'watha (a giant now-removed portal that was in the Blood Elf starting zone -- I forgot the name -- but anyway, it was an dungeon/raid portal).

Wrath of the Lich King
Dance Studio/Bard: Both were used as jokes, but then I think Blizzard started working on them.

Azjol'Nerub zone(s): Actual questing zone(s) with a ton of lore. Replaced by the cut Azjol'Nerub raid which was replaced by two Azjol'Nerub dungeons.

Unknown: Malygos/Sunwell plot (giant plot hole to fill and Sunwell had WotLK loading screen art); Crystalsong Forest plot/quests; Azure Sanctum, Verdant Sanctum, [yellow] Sanctum; Gurubashi Arena.

Cataclysm
Abyssal Maw raid: Completely cut, nothing replaced it.

War of the Ancients raid: Replaced by the War of the Ancients dungeon.

Unknown: A TF2-Payload-inspired battleground.

I'm really hitting rock bottom with my thoughts. Hopefully you folks can find some information.
You really shouldn't include things that were nothing but player speculation and were never ever ever mentioned such as Tor'watha which only had a portal since it was a copy and paste of the ZA wall. The strat portal was Naxxramas. Where did you get that Verdant or yellow Sanctum thing from or the TF2 BG? Anyway I'm in a raid so not much time to go over things.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyomesh View Post
It was even on the very first Wotlk trailer, it was one of the main SELLING points.

She's not Britney -.-
She can be Jessica Black instead.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
You really shouldn't include things that were nothing but player speculation and were never ever ever mentioned such as Tor'watha which only had a portal since it was a copy and paste of the ZA wall. The strat portal was Naxxramas. Where did you get that Verdant or yellow Sanctum thing from or the TF2 BG?
The sanctums were from a quote saying they would keep adding more and more raids to Wyrmrest Temple until all the sanctums were done.

The TF2 bg was a map that appeared in the Cataclysm alpha files called "Stranglethorn Diamond Mine BG" which appeared to involve pushing mine carts around. While this was the first time it was added to the files, many suspect its actually much older and was never meant to be put in.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
She can be Jessica Black instead.
I wish I could hate you to death.
Not for insulting my Rogue(who would care about that lol)

But because THAT FUCKING SoNG IS NOW PLAYING IN MY HEAD...

FFFFFFFFUUUUUCCCCCKK...
Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Banished

I have hope that they cut the Abyssal Maw to include it in next expansion (which is obviously Azshara's)

Quote:

She's not Britney -.-
Alize is better by far, the NE dance doesnt make justice to her
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Arch-Druid

I put those things in the unknown because their absences (minus the Sanctums) didn't make complete sense to me. The unknowns are speculation.

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Classic

Hellfire Peninsula, Quel'thalas, Karazhan and Gilneas were all intended to be in Classic WoW.

Burning Crusade

Karazhan Crypts at some point. Either in BC or Classic.

Wrath of the Lich King

Crusaders Colliseum location in Crystalsong Forest, ending with Anub'arak in an epic way. Azjol-Nerub/Ulduar connection, alongside the Tol'vir and stuff.

Crystalsong Forest quest development.

Zul'drak raid.

Some kind of worgen content should have been planed, because they were kind of irrelevant, as well as Arugal's revival.

Naga involvment.

Giants should have been expanded much more. Almost no lore about Storm Giants. Sketches of various types of giants suggest this.

Cataclysm

Oh boy...

Battle for Gilneas City BG. Stranglethorn Diamond Mines BG.

Explorer's League and Reliquary involvment in Uldum (AKA Plot). Reliquary reputation faction.

Second Faceless General a la Soggoth in Twilight Highlands.

The entire invasion part of the Shattering event. Ironforge flooded. Dark Iron/Grimtotem sublevation. Naga attack in Stormwind. Something about the Centaur I can't remember ATM.

Vashj'ir submarine Naga dome-cities.

Various beasts like Harrigans, Thorn sprites, Lost Isles animals, Shapeless Ones.

Med'an involvment.

Garona's interference in BoT.

Voice overs for various races/bosses/characters.

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
The sanctums were from a quote saying they would keep adding more and more raids to Wyrmrest Temple until all the sanctums were done.

The TF2 bg was a map that appeared in the Cataclysm alpha files called "Stranglethorn Diamond Mine BG" which appeared to involve pushing mine carts around. While this was the first time it was added to the files, many suspect its actually much older and was never meant to be put in.
Them saying they want to add new sanctums isn't saying they were working on any. I also know about the STV BG but was curious where you'd get anything else from that.

To call something dropped content it needs to be something we actually know existed not something from speculation.

Last edited by Leviathon; 10-05-2011 at 07:39 PM..
Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Arch-Druid

I did not know the Sanctums were from a quote. Anyway, I specifically meant a Dance STUDIO. I knew they were going to put in more dance moves, but didn't they talk about an actual UI and stuff for dancing? Or was that an April Fools? What about the Bard?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
Battle for Gilneas City BG.
But we have a Gilneas BG....right?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
But we have a Gilneas BG....right?
Originally it was going to be set in Gilneas City, Blizzard said it would a new type of battleground that they called "urban warfare" but after some early playtesting it was deemed "un-salvageable" and replaced by the current one, which is an Arathi Basin clone.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Regarding more worgen content in WotLK:

It's my theory they were added in once Blizz decided they wanted worgen as the playabe alliance race in the next expansion. Blizz said they like to seed races and to keep them fresh in our minds, so they added a questline dealing with the worgen so that when they announced them at blizzcon the worgen wouldn't seem to be completely out of left field.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm surprised noone else has mentioned Arathi/dustwallow and silithus yet. Their update got cut and I doubt we'll see anything happening there soon.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
I'm surprised noone else has mentioned Arathi/dustwallow and silithus yet. Their update got cut and I doubt we'll see anything happening there soon.
Arathi was updated, just not much. Silithus got updated in Vanilla. Dustwallow got updated in TBC.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
Vashj'ir submarine Naga dome-cities.
The submarines are in one (two counting cutscenes) quest each, and the dome cities were made into the ancients. Also a third ancient to the north was cut, moved into (and turned into the entirety of) the Abyssal Maw dungeon, and then cut again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Regarding more worgen content in WotLK:

It's my theory they were added in once Blizz decided they wanted worgen as the playabe alliance race in the next expansion. Blizz said they like to seed races and to keep them fresh in our minds, so they added a questline dealing with the worgen so that when they announced them at blizzcon the worgen wouldn't seem to be completely out of left field.
Though the Grizzly Hills plot had nothing to do with Gilneas.

Yet. They may make the two wolfcults the same, but meh. The scythe seems to have never been there.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Silithus didn't have any quests at the launch of vanilla, so yes, once they added quests they "updated" the zone.

I wonder why they cut the cool invasions for the Cataclysm world event.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Hippogryph Rider

There was also going to be the Garubashi Arena as an actual arena if I remember right (but then dalaran sewers was put in?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
Wrath of the Lich King
Oh jeez... don't remind me, my human warlock still does the macarena.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Eternal

The only thing I'd really want out of a Dance Studio is the ability to do group dancing. You know it would be epic to see 5 characters do a choreographed dance.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

The whole dance studio thing just seems to me like a huge waste of time and resources for something that may entertain people for like a week.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
The whole dance studio thing just seems to me like a huge waste of time and resources for something that may entertain people for like a week.
Ever heard of Farmville?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:01 AM

Arch-Druid

Path of the Titans sounded interesting it's a shame they scrapped that or not if even Blizzard thought it was too much of a grind.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Yet. They may make the two wolfcults the same, but meh. The scythe seems to have never been there.
There may have been two scythes. Or rather, in a world where time travel is no big deal, you might actually have several of the SAME scythe at the same time.