Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Overwatch Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM

World Builder

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Orisa's big ass head makes her such easy prey for Hanzos and Widows.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Orisa's big ass head makes her such easy prey for Hanzos and Widows.
With out her Fortify ability she is pretty damn squishy. Add in those head shots and poof she gone
Old 03-25-2017, 01:59 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

If I could pay Blizzard $5 to permaban every Genji that spams I need healing when I'm playing a healer I'd go broke very quickly.

$10 everytime they're doing it while nowhere fucking near me or doing absolutely nothing about the Reaper, Mei, or Symmetra chasing me.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:57 PM

World Builder

I like all the "Mercy is secretly an eldritch horror / supervillain" fan-stuff.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
With out her Fortify ability she is pretty damn squishy. Add in those head shots and poof she gone
What do you think the best fix will be, up her base durability? Make the hitbox for her head localized to a smaller space? Reduce cooldown or increase potency of fortify?

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 03-27-2017 at 10:59 PM..
Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
What do you think the best fix will be, up her base durability? Make the hitbox for her head localized to a smaller space? Reduce cooldown or increase potency of fortify?
Honestly Im not to sure. I do need more time with her but have seen some people play her very well. I do think they missed the mark on the "Anchor" tank like they have with Rein
Old 03-31-2017, 10:58 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Honestly Im not to sure. I do need more time with her but have seen some people play her very well. I do think they missed the mark on the "Anchor" tank like they have with Rein
Do you feel having her be a centaur affects things at all? Like the size/shape of her hitbox relative to most other 'cover' and things?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-31-2017, 11:10 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Do you feel having her be a centaur affects things at all? Like the size/shape of her hitbox relative to most other 'cover' and things?
Not really because I play Winston a lot and hes huge lol. At the same time they are both different play styles though. Maybe give that shield a small buff
Old 03-31-2017, 11:17 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Not really because I play Winston a lot and hes huge lol. At the same time they are both different play styles though. Maybe give that shield a small buff
True, though now that makes me wish Orisa had a movement-speed or gap-closing ability or... some kind of jumpy skill thing to take advantage of her four legs the way Winston does with his jetpack.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 PM

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:51 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

>MFW I see Tracer's face

Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Seems like that statue of Jack was the final straw for Gabe. Almost makes you feel a little bad for him.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Arch-Druid

I only have one notable complaint relating to this comic. It was too short! It does give you some actual time with so many of the roster and details what they were experiencing and how it informs their choices to some degree. Jack was being strangled by the realities of politics, while Lena's more naive attitudes gave him the ability to transcend them. Our Reaper to be is bitter and acting unrestrained by the rules while resenting Jack for taking his glory.

Could've gave Genji a line at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.

Last edited by Anasterian; 04-05-2017 at 03:38 PM..
Old 04-05-2017, 05:22 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Now we have an official reason why Hanzo didn't recognize Genji; he was in Blackwatch.

I'm excited for the new lore event. Hopefully they'll put in all the new outfits that were shown for new skins. Mercy and Genji look so good!
Old 04-05-2017, 07:45 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
Seems like that statue of Jack was the final straw for Gabe. Almost makes you feel a little bad for him.
I didn't get a final straw vibe but I definitely feel its more than a joke to him

I like how he and Ana view Null Sector differently

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-05-2017, 08:39 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Now we have an official reason why Hanzo didn't recognize Genji; he was in Blackwatch.

I'm excited for the new lore event. Hopefully they'll put in all the new outfits that were shown for new skins. Mercy and Genji look so good!
Wait... lore event?! When was that mentioned!?!?

Well if that's a case these skins are all delightful. I really hope that the purple Omnic bastion and Genji skin are in. Although given this set up we should have a super cool Junkrenstein event!

Last edited by Sonneillon; 04-05-2017 at 09:04 PM..
Old 04-05-2017, 09:08 PM

World Builder

Holy Cow

Holy Tap Dancing Sister Mary Lou Francis

Also, I can't believe Torb gave Tracer her catchphrase

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

I actually liked that Torb bit.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
I actually liked that Torb bit.
It's not BAD I just can't believe he's the one who coined it.

I bet he tells his kids and none of them believe him.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-05-2017, 09:36 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
It's not BAD I just can't believe he's the one who coined it.

I bet he tells his kids and none of them believe him.
"I came up withthat cha know!"

I absolutely buy it, most people externalize things rather than pulling them from the void. It organically makes sense, it also makes sense as a dated expression used by an older character and in the context it was used.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 PM

World Builder

Quote:
"I came up withthat cha know!"

I absolutely buy it, most people externalize things rather than pulling them from the void. It organically makes sense, it also makes sense as a dated expression used by an older character and in the context it was used.
Oh no you're right intellectually it makes sense, maybe it's better to say that I'd never have expected it, which I suppose is the point.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Wait... lore event?! When was that mentioned!?!?

Well if that's a case these skins are all delightful. I really hope that the purple Omnic bastion and Genji skin are in. Although given this set up we should have a super cool Junkrenstein event!
Signs are pointing to it happening with this tweet made a couple of days ago and now the comic:

Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Old 04-06-2017, 02:37 AM

Elune

I know they're trying super hard to make Omnics a not so subtle analogy for immigrants/ethnic minorities, but it falls flat when the reason people don't like them in-universe probably has more to do with that whole "try and wipe out the human race and having killed millions" thing. That and, y'know, they're robots.

The art style is awful but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Drusus; 04-06-2017 at 03:05 AM..
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I know they're trying super hard to make Omnics a not so subtle analogy for immigrants/ethnic minorities, but it falls flat when the reason people don't like them in-universe probably has more to do with that whole "try and wipe out the human race and having killed millions" thing. That and, y'know, they're robots.

The art style is awful but that's just my opinion.
Well yes and no, I've always felt part of the plot groups like this is that yes, some might either fulfill the stereotype or whatever but that still doesn't mean it's okay to mistreat the ones that aren't omnicidal war machines.

Art style is pretty average but it's a short comic so I can see why they're not breaking the bank for it.

Also, please someone make Blizzard hire Coelasquid
http://coelasquid.tumblr.com/post/15...-seen-snippets

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, so I realize that we've only seen snippets, characters are complex, developer intent changes, etc, etc. Buuuut....Canon pre-Reaper Reyes seems like a relatively chill dude? Like,THIS is the guy that was supposed to be the hardass "ends justify the means" and "stick to the mission at all costs" type? o_O Would love to know your take on this.
This is like 99.99% speculation and personal projecting, but I’m fond of the idea that Young Gabe was extremely hard working, gruff, bad with people, edgy on purpose, and young Jack was more chill, friendly, charismatic, motivational. So through the amount of time they spend together Jack helps pull Gabe out of his shell, muscles him into working on his social skills so he’s got less of a wall up. He’s got his own friends and life and he’s fun at parties, but he’s still a gruff, intimidating guy with super high standards so he can be tough to work with because he’s a hardass who’s better than everyone at everything.

Jack and Gabe have like a good cop bad cop dynamic for the Omnic Crisis, Gabe is calling the shots but Jack is the approachable go-between that people aren’t afraid is going to bark at them for messing up. When the Omnic Crisis ends the powers that be are like “hey, Jack a good upstanding ‘’’’’’’All American’’’’’’’ guy, he photographs well, he looks good on posters, he’s good at making all our weird special snowflake superheroes get along and work together, he knows how to tactfully navigate conversations with important people without offending them, let’s put him in charge of Overwatch!”

Gabe is pissed because he did the heavy lifting and now he’s not getting the glory, Jack is pissed because he ALSO wants Gabe to get the glory. He doesn’t want to be in charge, he wants to be the Fun Uncle who helps the kids get along with Rules Dad. But now he IS Rules Dad. He can’t be The Fun One anymore because now everything he does matters and everyone in the world is waiting to pick apart every descision he makes and backseat drive all his mistakes. So Jack starts turning into the stressed hardass because he’s juggling so many plates and playing politics with everyone.

Meanwhile Gabe is realizing a lifetime of Trying The Hardest didn’t really matter, because it still didn’t get him the job he wanted. He’s kind of salty, but also realizing from what it’s doing to Jack that he probably dodged a bullet because he would not have the tact to deal with all the political niceties. So in his own sardonic way, he kind of turns into “the fun one” because he doesn’t have the spotlight on him and can be as sarcastic and back-sassy as he wants without worrying about what it could “do to his career”. He throws a lot of jabs about Jack getting all the glory, but at the same time he enjoys getting to chill for the first time in his life. He doesn’t want Jack’s job or resent Jack for having it now that he’s seen how all the chips fell, but there’s always going to be that little part of him that can’t stop picking that scab and bringing it up when Jack is stressed out or fucking up. Gabe probably thinks of it as pushing Jack to do better and live up to the standards he expected for Overwatch when he was in charge, but for Jack it’s more like rubbing salt in the wound.

Then when he gets Reaper’d he’s just a pissed off man-on-a-mission who doesn’t need to worry about playing nice with others and social nuance at all anymore, so it’s all Reyes dry humour plus his skill and ambition plus his lifelong dream of wearing The Most Over-The-Top Goth Kid Sleeveless Black Trenchcoat ensemble and throwing shotguns at people. Reaper is Gabriel Reyes coming back from the dead with no fucks to give and ALL OF THE fucks to give simultaneously.

Now I’m not gonna say “this is how I think Blizzard is going to make it happen when they actually drop the lore” because that would make me a goddamn clairvoyant to predict that much backstory. I’m just sayin’ that if I was on the writing staff that’s probably how I’d pitch their relationship dynamic because it meshes with a lot of the established lore bits they’ve already dropped like “Gabe was in charge of Overwatch for the Omnic Crisis”, “Jack got promoted ahead of Gabe because he ‘brought out the best in people”, “Jack and Gabe continued to work together reasonably well despite this for another 20 years until [mystery event] happened”, “Gabe is an edgelord who condescendingly slow claps at people and talks like a smarmy tryhard theatre kid”, and “Gabe is also fun at parties and says quippy things when everyone else is stressed out about serious political problems”

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
blizzard tf2, general thread