Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51626  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 10,225
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Trump's pick for Supreme Court was apparently pro-Torture during the Bush Era.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/u...-bay.html?_r=0

And to pull serious discussion away from the shitposting meme thread, here's Market Watch's take on the Meals on Wheels controversy.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/thi...ear-2017-03-16

Finally, let's be honest here about violent supporters...it's gotten bad on both sides, and as always these reactionaries make everyone defensive about their own side, repeating the cycle until polarization becomes active violence without regard for the lives of others. Assault with a deadly weapon is a felony, and no one should be doing it, idly or otherwise. The national dialogue should not be about violence, it should be about methods of reconciliation, otherwise we are going to end up with riots if not outright revolts. And there's nothing so terrifying as a mindlessly angry mob.

Edit: It's official, the FBI considers Trump and Co.'s connections to Russia big enough to have an ongoing investigation.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/19866...-russian-story

The question is now, if they turn something up, will Trump have the power to stop them? Will congress have the balls to stop him?
__________________
Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

The Mad Admin

Last edited by Cantus; 03-20-2017 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #51627  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,938,233

Default

Trump Shifting Authority Over Military Operations Back to Pentagon


Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

No more dumb dumbs that just get troops killed due to their micromanagement because their head is placed too far up their assholes.
Reply With Quote
  #51628  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 10,225
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Trump Shifting Authority Over Military Operations Back to Pentagon


Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

No more dumb dumbs that just get troops killed due to their micromanagement because their head is placed too far up their assholes.
Cough...Yemen raid...cough.
__________________
Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

The Mad Admin
Reply With Quote
  #51629  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,938,233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Cough...Yemen raid...cough.
Is your life just an endless mental gymnastics so you can believe what ever happens to be most convenient for you?
Reply With Quote
  #51630  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Mertico Mertico is offline

Elune
Mertico's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 6,275

Default

David Rockefeller is dead. I would say RIP, but you know.
Reply With Quote
  #51631  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Shekinah Shekinah is online now

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Panda Land
Posts: 1,829

Mana

So what's going to happen to Mike Flynn?
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #51632  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 10,225
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Is your life just an endless mental gymnastics so you can believe what ever happens to be most convenient for you?
I should try that sometime, can you teach me?

Until you, oh sensei of sensibility, can give me the strength to overcome reality, I'll just keep assuming that a man who can't take responsibility or his own actions and who's a paranoid narcissist will force the military to do stupid shit. Like okay a raid on a target that shouldn't have happened.

Edit: Proof positive PJ was right all along, socialism killed Denmark today...

...just kidding. They're one of the most stable countries on the planet and paid off their debt.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ears-1.3017088
__________________
Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

The Mad Admin

Last edited by Cantus; 03-20-2017 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #51633  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Eternal
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 4,293

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Comey said that the FBI was investigating Russian collusion with the Trump campaign 3 months before the election.
Can someone explain to me why he never mentioned that, but felt it was appropriate to mention Clinton emails multiple times?
__________________
Member #14

Drunken Heathen of SoL
Reply With Quote
  #51634  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Warden
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
So what's going to happen to Mike Flynn?
FOX news ? A book or two ? Some paid speeches on the conservative circuit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Comey said that the FBI was investigating Russian collusion with the Trump campaign 3 months before the election.
Can someone explain to me why he never mentioned that, but felt it was appropriate to mention Clinton emails multiple times?
You want a tinfoil ?
He went hard on Clinton because he expected her to be elected.
Firing him would have looked petty and political.
Now he tries again with Trump.
Reply With Quote
  #51635  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Eternal
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 4,293

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

If anyone is interested in some light reading of what has been declassified so far, there's a joint report from the FBI, CIA, and NSA titled "Assessing Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections."
https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf
__________________
Member #14

Drunken Heathen of SoL
Reply With Quote
  #51636  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,938,233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Edit: Proof positive PJ was right all along, socialism killed Denmark today...

...just kidding. They're one of the most stable countries on the planet and paid off their debt.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ears-1.3017088
It killed North Korea, the USSR, and Venezuela. Ultimately it is just a word. It is complacency and inefficiency that wrecks an economy. If you took Germany though and made it a US state it would be the poorest state in the union based off of median income and cost of living. There is a negative impact from high taxation, high regulations, and high spending even from Western Europe or Canada. It is higher cost of living and lower wages. If you have even a little bit of talent or skill the US will treat you better than most foreign countries. If you took the US standard for poverty and applied it to many of those countries it would increase dramatically because of the special way the US calculates it and the way those economies work.

The richest country in the world is actually a small oil rich state that is a monarchy that exploits foreign laborers. If the US copied them we would not become as rich as them. Smaller countries tend to be outliers when it comes to GDP per capita. Comparing the US to Germany, Canada, France, the UK, or Japan ect... the US has higher wages and a lower cost of living. Every hour you work in the US is worth more than it is in those countries. This gap increases the more skilled of a worker you become.
Reply With Quote
  #51637  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20,798
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Today I learned Germany is a 'small' country with a population of 88 million in a country the size of Texas and a GDP per capita that's not that far off from the US.

It did let me find a neat site though.

http://country-facts.findthedata.com...apan-vs-France

Last edited by Leviathon; 03-20-2017 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #51638  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 10,225
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

PJ, do you understand the difference between socialism and communism?
__________________
Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

The Mad Admin
Reply With Quote
  #51639  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,465

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Today I learned Germany is a 'small' country with a population of 88 million in a country the size of Texas and a GDP per capita that's not that far off from the US.
82 million.
Reply With Quote
  #51640  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:06 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,938,233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Today I learned Germany is a 'small' country with a population of 88 million in a country the size of Texas and a GDP per capita that's not that far off from the US.

It did let me find a neat site though.

http://country-facts.findthedata.com...apan-vs-France
How did you get Denmark or Qatar confused with Germany? Texas is actually almost twice as big as Germany.

https://mises.org/blog/if-sweden-and...poorest-states

Just look at the numbers here. The median income is lower and the cost of living is higher. A greater portion of your income is then taxed. The US actually generates more revenue per capita than either Canada or the UK despite its lower statutory rates. The cost of living differences means that for every unit of currency spent in the US you will get more than you will in a higher cost of living nation.
Reply With Quote
  #51641  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Shekinah Shekinah is online now

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Panda Land
Posts: 1,829

Mana

I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear that all this news that the FBI has about the Trump campaign's ties with Russia have been denounced as "fake news" by our president.

__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #51642  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,938,233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear that all this news that the FBI has about the Trump campaign's ties with Russia have been denounced as "fake news" by our president.

I don't understand Trump. He did a good job picking James Mattis as Defense Secretary and giving him more authority over military matters but the way he deals with the price and public is so bizarre. I like his budget too but not so much his wall and travel ban. At least he isn't Obama I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #51643  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20,798
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
How did you get Denmark or Qatar confused with Germany? Texas is actually almost twice as big as Germany.

https://mises.org/blog/if-sweden-and...poorest-states

Just look at the numbers here. The median income is lower and the cost of living is higher. A greater portion of your income is then taxed. The US actually generates more revenue per capita than either Canada or the UK despite its lower statutory rates. The cost of living differences means that for every unit of currency spent in the US you will get more than you will in a higher cost of living nation.
Yea by 'size' I meant 'how big the country is' as in, you know, how big in geographical area it is.

Also the chart, from my reading, does not account for the health care, education, and other social costs that Sweden and Germany all factor for. Quality of life matters. Sure your average not upper middle class white person that is not blinded by patriotism is taxed less but then has to spend most their money on health care and student loans amongst other things.
Reply With Quote
  #51644  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,938,233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Also the chart, from my reading, does not account for the health care, education, and other social costs that Sweden and Germany all factor for. Quality of life matters.
The US spends more money per capita on education than those countries do


Healthcare is a sore point for the US but that isn't because of quality. It is because of access and a patchwerk of ineffectual regulations. I don't think their way is ideal but a reformation of Medicaid is overdue along with a bunch of other issue that increases cost and reduces mobility.

The difference in wages and cost of living isn't minor though. It is massive. Our professional working class will have more take home pay and all the benefits from their employer that they get from their government. Our economic future looks a lot brighter too because of the differences in GDP growth.
Reply With Quote
  #51645  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Shekinah Shekinah is online now

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Panda Land
Posts: 1,829

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
I don't understand Trump. He did a good job picking James Mattis as Defense Secretary and giving him more authority over military matters but the way he deals with the price and public is so bizarre. I like his budget too but not so much his wall and travel ban. At least he isn't Obama I guess.
There are a lot of things I don't like about Trump, but even I see some ideas of his that I agree with. I think his reaction to anything negative about him has to do with the celebrity status he has grown accustomed to. A lot of people cry narcissism and I just laugh. I had to deal with Blago Boy, after all. Chicago politics, woohoo!
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #51646  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Eternal
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 4,293

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Hey guys, let's have a flashback to a few months ago.

"And obviously we all understand the importance of this presidential race. I would just ask everybody this: Can this country afford to have a president under investigation by the FBI? Think of the trauma that this would do to this country." -Marco Rubio, 1 Nov 2016

__________________
Member #14

Drunken Heathen of SoL
Reply With Quote
  #51647  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,938,233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
There are a lot of things I don't like about Trump, but even I see some ideas of his that I agree with. I think his reaction to anything negative about him has to do with the celebrity status he has grown accustomed to. A lot of people cry narcissism and I just laugh. I had to deal with Blago Boy, after all. Chicago politics, woohoo!
I just hope he is just a bad media relations guy because he isn't a politician and that he is actually competent when it comes to leadership. Him running his campaign at almost half the cost of Clinton's and winning is impressive. Him picking Mattis as SoD and delegating military matters to military people is commendable because he shows he realizes that he will refer to specialists when he needs to. If he can run the government more efficiently than bureaucrats have been that is a good thing. If the economy grows it doesn't matter what the media or his tweets say, he will win reelection when people are employed and can bring home more money.
Reply With Quote
  #51648  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:46 AM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Warden
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
82 million.
Germany should really stop making people disappear
Reply With Quote
  #51649  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,938,233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Germany should really stop making people disappear
76 million?
Reply With Quote
  #51650  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,465

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Germany should really stop making people disappear
We don't do such things. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.