Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 08:10 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Warhammer: Age of Sigmar thread

Seems Age of Sigmar is really starting to be a thing now. The first sets of miniatures were kinda bland, but all the later releases have been pretty superb. Seems it's here to stay.

---

Factions Guide: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB...Factions-Guide

Rules for old miniatures: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB...f-Sigmar-Rules

---

List of new factions so far:

Stormcast Eternals

A new breed of hero fights for the Mortal Realms. These souls have been reforged into legends, each the embodiment of a living tempest sent from Azyr by Sigmar himself. They are the Stormcast Eternals, the God-King’s wrath made manifest, and they were created for but a single purpose: war!

Blades of Khorne

There is no room for beauty or compassion in the black heart of Khorne, for his only desire is to see the realms burn in the fires of war. The Blood God’s volcanic wrath cannot be tempered, and his favour can only be gained through ceaseless slaughter and a worthy tribute of skulls.

Fyreslayers

From flame-filled holds and deep mountain vaults, the Fyreslayers march to war. With axes ready and war cries on their lips, they charge into battle, the power of the mighty warrior god Grimnir flowing into them from glittering golden runes hammered into their ruddy flesh.

Ironjawz

A booming roar rolls out across the Mortal Realms. Like an avalanche of hardened muscle and jagged-edged metal, the Ironjawz rampage through their foes. They are the biggest and meanest of the orruks, and under their massive choppas, empires and kingdoms are smashed to rubble.

Sylvaneth

They are the gale that howls through forest canopies. They are the fury of the wild places. They are the stabbing thorn and the tearing root, the grinding rock and the choking vine. They are the sylvaneth, vengeful forest spirits of terrifying power, and to those who despoil their lands, they are death.

Disciples of Tzeentch

Anarchy incarnate, the god Tzeentch is known by many titles, including the Changer of the Ways, the Master of Fortune, the Great Conspirator and the Architect of Fate. Tzeentch’s domains are magic and guile, for he is the god of sorcery and deceit. Schemes, plots, and machinations are his delight.

Kharadron Overlords

Maggotkin of Nurgle

Daughters of Khaine

Idoneth Deepkin

Nighthaunt

Stormcast Eternals - The Sacrosanct Chamber

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 05-12-2018 at 02:40 PM..
Old 04-19-2017, 02:28 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

It's not Seraphon, but I'll take it.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:53 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I like the Kharadron Overlords. Waiting for some Elves, they're slow as fuck with releasing stuff.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM

Elune

Would like to discuss the new aesthetic theme of Age of Sigmar. It's what has gotten me interested on it after the initial disappointment.

Seems Games Workshop is aiming for some kind of mystic, oneiric, and surrealist theme, the likes you can find in 80-90's fantasy movies, and in Lovecraft works too, specially the Dream Cycle.

I don't even know if this genre has a name to begin with, but it's there, barely used at all. I'm very interested with where things could be going with AoS in the future, more for its repercussions to said genre than for Warhammer itself.

See some miniatures:

And some artwork:

As you see it's no longer a "realistic" fantasy setting, in the sense that armor and weapons no longer look handcrafted, but surreal and with a lot of curves in their designs.

They don't even look useful at a first glance. You can assume their new purpose is mainly ornamental. Magic seems to have a bigger role on everything as well, and the fancier something looks, the more powerful it is.

As for the landscapes and the general setting, we're working with a planar universe, where cities seem to be almost infinite, and everything has a dreamy atmosphere.

I don't know, am I the only one who sees this direction? Does this "genre" even have its own name?

I can't wait to see the faction of the Realm of Light, where everything is symmetrical, or the new undead. I think we're in for more surprises.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Thaumopunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Thaumopunk
Wouldn't it be Thaumapunk? What's the etymology here?

Lonami's right though, it looks cool, and the cosmology is pretty intriguing.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Wouldn't it be Thaumapunk? What's the etymology here?
Both are acceptable spellings, and thaumaturgy, the direct root, is indeed spelled with an 'a', but I've more often seen it spelled 'thaumopunk.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Thaumopunk
Thaumopunk. Nice word you have there. Google only has three links, and you're two of them, lol.

Thaumapunk has a few more, but pretty scarce as well. Seems its used together with manapunk and magipunk, which seem to be used much more often.

I'm still not sure about it, though. I would say it's a hybrid of high fantasy and steampunk genres, though even that still isn't it.

I don't know, I have this image in my head... 80-90's movies have that vibe, a lot. Maybe it's because the technology back then sucked, so they made everything so clunky and surreal. Lot of weird clockwork stuff.

I'm thinking of movies like Labyrinth, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Crystal, Wizard of Oz, etc. You know, they always had these... weird landscapes. That looked huge, and made no sense. Giant cities, with towering spires, and multiple colors. Almost dreamscapes. They have a deep vintage palette too, which takes you back to the years before the First World War, where the old and the new still coexisted, you know, horses and tanks, guns and swords.

I remember this kind of fantasy from my childhood, a lot. I don't think it exists anymore, or at least, I'm not aware of it. Maybe because we take everything so seriously now, and try to explain and show every single detail?

It's a bit like looking back at how people believed the future would be like, 50 years ago. Half hilarious, half fascinating. That's called retrofuture / retrofuturism, I think.

Warhammer Fantasy was pretty unique. Hard to find a similar grimdark fantasy setting. W40K also has its unique stuff too. GW has always made awesome and unique universes, I can't stop wondering where they will take AoS, even if I haven't touched a miniature in years.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

I only just started really getting into Warhammer Fantasy through TW: Warhammer, and I have to say I'm kind of crushed to have Age of Sigmar be the canon continuation. I'm sure there's some neat artwork and models to be had from that particular iteration of the universe, but the story is just way too out of left field for me. Fantasy actually had massive stakes and a certain atmosphere of import to events going on, Sigmar just feels like it's hand-waving most of that away.
Sort of like how the Star Wars Empire doesn't feel as amazing anymore when the EU adds a dozen different follow-ups, copies and rehashes of the concept.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
I only just started really getting into Warhammer Fantasy through TW: Warhammer, and I have to say I'm kind of crushed to have Age of Sigmar be the canon continuation. I'm sure there's some neat artwork and models to be had from that particular iteration of the universe, but the story is just way too out of left field for me. Fantasy actually had massive stakes and a certain atmosphere of import to events going on, Sigmar just feels like it's hand-waving most of that away.
Sort of like how the Star Wars Empire doesn't feel as amazing anymore when the EU adds a dozen different follow-ups, copies and rehashes of the concept.
To be fair, Age of Sigmar has literally nothing to do with Fantasy. The new events happen thousands of years after Fantasy.

The only thing that was kept from the old world are some characters that ascended into godhood, who changed so much they don't even resemble the originals anymore, and a few demon characters (many of whom are also present at 40K anyway).

Agree that losing Fantasy is such a pity. It has ton of very good novels, and the setting is pretty awesome. I hope they develop the parts of the world we didn't get to see somewhere else, like in Total War: Warhammer, but I'm very pessimistic about it.

The only reason why they have kept the old miniatures is to make the transition to the new game smoother, but I bet that they will be eventually discontinued too, replaced by the new factions and aesthetics. Some monsters will be recycled and survive, but I'd expect most basic units to just disappear, or change radically.

I think it's clear Fantasy was killed to make way for AoS, and nothing else. GW wanted a new big game, and 3 would have been too many. I don't think Fantasy was having bad sales or something like that.

If you want some good novels, I recommend Gotrek & Felix. Long saga, with recurring characters. The first book has multiple short stories, but the rest are single story. Warhammer novels have something I love, which is the way they describe violence. I haven't seen it described like that anywhere else. Most novels delve well into the lore, so you don't really need to be an expert in the setting, too.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:45 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Oh, I know it's a separate affair to Fantasy, I'm just disappointed about the way the Fantasy story canonically wraps up. Imo it would be more satisfying to never give a canonical answer and just let the various games, novels and players come up with their own versions, as before Sigmar.

As far as novels go I never really go for those, atm I'm utterly absorbed by Total War:Warhammer, and I might go into collecting and painting some models in the future, as I used to do that as a teen with WWII models and figurines and could see myself getting into it with Warhammer too.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:58 PM

Elune

Updated the first post with the last two new factions, Maggotkin of Nurgle and Daughters of Khaine. A few model pictures:

Also, there's a new faction coming soon, called Idoneth Deepkin, who are going to be the first "underwater" faction in Warhammer ever, pretty much a dream come true.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:10 AM

Idoneth Deepkin?

Based on the name... water dwarves?

Or is it going to be water lizardmen?

Tell me more!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Idoneth Deepkin?

Based on the name... water dwarves?

Or is it going to be water lizardmen?

Tell me more!
They are elven in origin. Something went wrong when they were resurrected, and their creator abandoned them.

So, they could be sea elves, or spawns of Cthulhu himself, we don't know yet.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:51 AM

Elune

Well, seems they're just elves after all. Kinda disappointed, when I heard "failure" I expected some mutants and abominations.

Video in the first post.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Well, seems they're just elves after all. Kinda disappointed, when I heard "failure" I expected some mutants and abominations
They look amazing and a welcome change over another Stormcast update.

off topic shilling
Old 03-25-2018, 07:55 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Looks cool. From what I've read the setting got pushed into even higher fantasy.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
Looks cool. From what I've read the setting got pushed into even higher fantasy.
How?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 AM

New edition!

Also, there's been a preview of the new SoB models.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Elune

Night Elf Icon (War3)

You took my job! Some of the new miniatures:

I wonder if the Sacrosanct represent a new faction, or just mean a new Stormcast battletome. I'll leave them as their own thing for now in the first post.

Looks like the starter box will be these two new factions, which sounds freaking awesome. I suspect it might see both sides fighting for who harvests souls or something like that. Way better than the previous two big boxes, which were just regular extermination battles. For reference:

Can't wait to see the new box. I might even get it if they're generous with the amount of content, would be my first GW product since almost a decade ago lol. It's sad they've only released two so far, and both with Stormcast and non-Tzeentch-best-god chaos.

I guess Slaves to Darkness (Chaos - barbarians) and Moonclan Grots (Destruction - night goblins) will be next, since they are represented in the Malign Portents campaign too.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 05-12-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Old 06-05-2018, 09:56 AM

Elune

New box finally announced, named Soul Wars. The most optimistic predictions were spot on, and it follows pretty much the same model as the last W40K box, which was excellent.

I might buy this after 10 years of not touching Warhammer, as long as the price doesn't get too ridiculous.

The new spell models will be included in their own box:

The nighthaunt will have three leaders, they previewed one a few days ago. They look very promising.

Few other new miniatures:

Also, some cool artwork because why not, including Slaanesh's prison.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 06-05-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Tags
sigmar, tabletop, warhammer