Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 01:58 PM

Eternal

ME2 is imo the best part of the series, probably because its combat is so much better than ME1 and its heavy focus on the squad mates / character development. But it does feel a bit like a spin-off when looking at the story at large. I hated the deus-ex machina in ME3 and felt that it didn't succeed in capturing the massive scale of the Reaper War (though that is probably pretty much impossible for one game).
Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Elune

ME2 was fine. It was 3 that fell apart
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

I liked 3. Yeah the Citadel DLC doesn't really work in the overall story, but it was pretty much fanservice (and fun). Most of the other DLC matched the "Need allies" storyline.

But yeah, 2 was probably the most interesting story wise, and I actually liked the gameplay a bit more as well. I prefer the Normandy in 3 though.

The ending though was stupid, and I'm not a fan of the deus-ex magic at the end.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:30 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
I liked 3. Yeah the Citadel DLC doesn't really work in the overall story, but it was pretty much fanservice (and fun). Most of the other DLC matched the "Need allies" storyline.

But yeah, 2 was probably the most interesting story wise, and I actually liked the gameplay a bit more as well. I prefer the Normandy in 3 though.

The ending though was stupid, and I'm not a fan of the deus-ex magic at the end.
'Citadel' was showing that BioWare's obnoxious shrieking fanbase will forgive anything so long as you throw the word 'romance' at them. Heaven forbid these people ever discover those Japanese romance games.

I'm not optimistic for Inquisition. I don't doubt it will be better than DA2 but to do worse than DA2 you'd need to be TRYING to fuck up a game, something I wouldn't put past BioWare mind you.

Last edited by Drusus; 07-17-2014 at 03:32 AM..
Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I agree with Kaplan's design decision- and that's what that was, a design decision to limit the amount of text in your quest journal. This has the benefit of allowing players to easily find what information they need in the quest log and also forced quest developers to learn how to tell the quest's story without walls of text, "showing, not telling". He didn't hate the lore, he wanted it presented in a better way.
Dat damage control.

So is anyone else enjoying the slow death of Blizz as much as I am?
My blood cries out for the vengeance of my people's blood, which can only be repaid with at least twice as much blood! Or maybe three times as much blood! Like if you went to hell, and it was full of blood, and that blood was on fire, and it was raining blood, then maybe that would be enough blood! Eh… but probably not.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-Gimilzor View Post
Dat damage control.

Considering you had to resurrect a month-old thread to pleasure yourself with it?

No, probably not.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Considering you had to resurrect a month-old thread to pleasure yourself with it?

No, probably not.
Dont worry. We can always remove resurrection spells in the next spell trimming.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-Gimilzor View Post
Dat damage control.

What? That decision was made long before I ever worked for Blizzard. But ask any modern game developer and they would agree with me that loads of text inside a game are not the proper way to tell a story.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 AM

Ranger

Quote:
What? That decision was made long before I ever worked for Blizzard. But ask any modern game developer and they would agree with me that loads of text inside a game are not the proper way to tell a story.
How about loads of text in a manual? Point is Kaplan said kids like to mash buttons and don't read it anyway, so why bother. You can spin it as "more interactive story-telling" or whatever but that doesn't make sense because people who aren't interested in lore will skip through cinematics/dialogue/text regardless of how it's presented (if they can), while those who like it will take the time to understand why they're collecting 6 quillboar dicks. It's no big secret those who remain at Blizz don't really give a crap about the lore--it's just something from the past they draw on occasionally for ideas and characters. Kaplan just admitted what we always knew... WoW's target audience is not neckbeard RPG lore geeks.
My blood cries out for the vengeance of my people's blood, which can only be repaid with at least twice as much blood! Or maybe three times as much blood! Like if you went to hell, and it was full of blood, and that blood was on fire, and it was raining blood, then maybe that would be enough blood! Eh… but probably not.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandinore View Post
yeah... he i one titan and he is great...
Necro bot?
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 02-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Nope. Just a conversation-starter bot!

So the immanence of self. Talk about intransient!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
Check me out at Wc3C; I'm a lot more active. (Well, mentally at least. THW is another good place)

Also check out my two projects:
- ~Custom Race Project~
- ~Neutral Hero Additions~
Old 02-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Pardo should just have said pardoneez moi.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Even if you accept that, it doesn't mean that the absence of loads of text automatically improves the story. It may not be 'the proper way', but it's still an actual way.

Also, I don't accept that. Audiologs are all the rage, and they're nothing but loads of text.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Even if you accept that, it doesn't mean that the absence of loads of text automatically improves the story. It may not be 'the proper way', but it's still an actual way.

Also, I don't accept that. Audiologs are all the rage, and they're nothing but loads of text.
I don't think you know what the word "text" means.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
I don't think you know what the word "text" means.
Fair, but I don't think there's that much of a difference between having a piece of text, and having that exact same piece of text read out loud.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Fair, but I don't think there's that much of a difference between having a piece of text, and having that exact same piece of text read out loud.
You can multitask. You can't play a game and read text at the same time; your eyes can only see some much. You can listen to someone read with your ears and watch the screen with your eyes.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
You can multitask. You can't play a game and read text at the same time; your eyes can only see some much. You can listen to someone read with your ears and watch the screen with your eyes.
Honestly, I've never really been able to do that. Like, I can walk in a straight line while listening to something, but I can't listen to something while also paying attention to the screen.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:06 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:
Pretty true and I've known people to do it but I doubt I'll ever find that truly enjoyable. Last time I listened to a book was like five years ago. Devoting myself exclusively to reading is just way more personal and comfortable for absorbing information.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:37 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
I know this topic is really, really old. But Kaplan didn't seem to enjoy the story anyway. Even in his anniversary interview he's taking weird potshots at WarCraft 3's cinematics for some reason.

Also the text thing is really situational and depends on the game. The way WoW was presenting it's story was bad but I'm pretty sure Kaplan didn't like the story anyway. Honestly I really, really hate the big yellow "HERE'S WHERE YOUR QUEST IS". It takes a lot of the immersion out of the game and it just seems like the game is treating me like an idiot.

Tags
apocalypse, blizzard, wow is dead