Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one is the worst?
Diablo III 1 6.67%
Starcraft II 4 26.67%
WOW vanilla 0 0%
WOW BC 3 20.00%
WOW WotLK 0 0%
WOW Cata 2 13.33%
WOW MoP 1 6.67%
WOW WoD 4 26.67%
WOW Legion 0 0%
Diablo II 0 0%
Warcraft III 0 0%
Warcraft III TFT 0 0%
Diablo II LoD 0 0%
Warcraft II 0 0%
Warcraft II Dark Portal 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2017, 12:27 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Default Worst Blizzard Sequel Storywise

Which one is it?

My least favorite ones are BC, SC2 and D3. D2 was overall good but I don't like how they had handled the 3 heroes' fate.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 07-24-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

All pre-WoW games are fine. They were good developers back then.

All WoW expansions have been getting more terrible with each release, but they have kept a consistent quality, even if a bad one. Also, WoW vanilla isn't a "real" sequel to W3, it's a way too different type of game. It shares universe, but it doesn't feel like it shares the story. Think of it as a spinoff story in the same universe.

SC2 and D3 are the worse offenders here, butchering their previous titles to unconceivable limits. Both were awful shit games at release too, for the basics of what was expected, with butchered down options, shameless restrictions, and multiple cash-grabby tactics; but that's not what the thread is about.

SC2 had an awful pointless story, and also, it didn't improve the worldbuilding in any way. It's the same thing as SC1, with barely anything new. The entire plot is a mess with no sense whatsoever, and it's driven by cool factor. You don't feel like you're really playing in a galaxy, just some random boring planets with nothing interesting whatsoever. The franchise needed new creatures, and new races (not necessarily playable). It's just boring and uninspired, and the franchise won't go anywhere until they grow beyond the 3 classic races and their pointless and boring motivations.

D3 vomited all over the legacy of D2, by rehashing half of the plots of the previous games, and using some cheap poor "new tier of evil" bullshit. Oh, there's a new soulstone, and it's even worse this time! Oh no! The villains were cartoon material. The settings were clones of the previous ones, and the overall quest was uninspired and bland. The plot felt like a really bad excuse.

So, for me it's a tie between SC2 and D3. Now, D3 was bad, almost a rehash, but at least it made sense, even if it was awful. SC2 was pointless from beginning to end, so it emerges victorious.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-24-2017, 01:29 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I knee-jerk voted for Starcraft 2, but on reflection and considering what I've heard about Warlocks of Draenor, I think that might actually be worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I knee-jerk voted for Starcraft 2, but on reflection and considering what I've heard about Warlocks of Draenor, I think that might actually be worse.
At least WoD had decent worldbuilding. Really, the only bad thing about it was the retarded time travel excuse they used, with the pointless invasion of Azeroth, the Burning Legion from the main universe dimension, and whatever.

Also, it's not like it's a sequel to a masterpiece either. WoW expansions are consistently bland.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-24-2017, 04:28 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Starcraft 2 needs to be broken up to 3 sad chunks if we are breaking up all the other games. Also Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls should be added.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:47 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Can't comment on Non-WoW expansions or pre WC3, but...

WoD. It was fundamentally broken. It tried to do in one year what most expansions take at least one and a half to two to do, then stopped trying halfway through.

The story was designed around the idea that everyone hadn't gotten sick of the "Villain" of the last two expansions, and tried to make everything about them, even though they had to make a humongous ass pull just to make it fit. The result of this (which seemingly makes Blizzard scared to write a lot of story for one race, even when it actually makes sense and is the first expansion they've been a major player in for a while...) and the stupidly rushed timing was, well, nothing. The botch job failed, and gave us "Draenor is free" the major content patch after "I want to commit genocide", because there was no story connecting the two. At least, more than a couple of quests. Like, literally count on one hand quests.

Other expansions have problems on what's otherwise a good set up (Except for Legion's story. But I'm rambled too much about it). WoD was broken from the the concept page up.

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 07-24-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Old 07-24-2017, 05:10 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Can the mod help add RoS?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:54 AM

Guru of Gilneas

I would say either SC2 or D3. I actually lean towards the latter. Sure, SC2 had failed expectations and such, but it did excel well in some aspects of storytelling.

Diablo 3 was a clusterfuck trainwreck, both in terms of its game and story. It lost its original team. It was in development hell. Though financially successful it had one of the worst launches. The real money auction house. Failed to deliver on promises on dueling. Removed LAN support for online play requirements. It's easy re-spec system killed a lot of its replay value, and it generates less build diversity and more cookie cutter builds. The game killed a lot of the RP character customization options (e.g. stats, talent trees, etc.) that generated interesting and unique builds. It had no end game. Pointless difficulty levels. A terrible gear and drop system requiring a massive revamp.

The story flow and setting felt rehashed from D2: Khanduras, to Sand Land, to Barbaria, to Heaven/Hell. Just missing "jungle," which also makes D3 feel shorter. So apart from heaven it never really gave us anything "new" until (a destroyed) Westmarch in RoS. Act 1 felt polished, but everything after that felt rushed. It turned the heroes into unstoppable nephalem "gods" which demolished any narrative tension, turning the setting from gothic horror fantasy adventure to epic fantasy superheroes. (If you make humans into ├╝ber-nephalem who are explicitly more powerful than angels or demons, then what can you possibly throw at the character, now or in the future, to make things interesting or challenging storywise?)

The setting lost its gothic horror feeling and tone. It butchered characters and turned them into shallow caricatures. The plot made no sense, and it required too many people to be hit by the idiot bat. Leah somehow not believing in "the stories" despite the fact that it has only been one generation since the events of D1 and D2. No one questioned Adria. The villains were just laughable mustache-twirlers, including Adria. It has those terrible Saturday morning cartoon villains who told their plans and weakly taunted you. So many boss fights felt like pro-wrestling garbage (e.g., the Butcher). It killed Deckard Cain in the most anti-climatic way possible: death by a butterfly-themed Rita Repulsa in a machinima. Terrible dialogue and lines like "You can't judge me; I am justice itself."
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 AM

Elune

If we go by game and not story (as the thread says), then yeah, D3 is the worse, with SC2 a close second (lack of chat channels and ruining the custom map community were unforgivable), and WoD third.

I think Act 1 was a mess, specially from the transition of the cathedral crypts to the hills and then the manor, it made no fucking sense. The butcher was an awful boss story-wise as well, just a cheap D1 gimmick.

Act 2 was the best (the black soulstone plot is garbage though), act 3 felt too small and repetitive, and act 4 was too short. Act 5, I didn't even bother. Stopped playing D3 one month after release, and never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Starcraft 2 needs to be broken up to 3 sad chunks if we are breaking up all the other games. Also Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls should be added.
Those never felt like whole games to be fair. SC2 is an established trilogy, and D3:RoS was super short. Same for the expansions of classic games. Only WoW expansions deserve their own spot at the list, because they're huge story-wise.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 07-25-2017 at 05:04 AM..
Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Those never felt like whole games to be fair. SC2 is an established trilogy, and D3:RoS was super short. Same for the expansions of classic games. Only WoW expansions deserve their own spot at the list, because they're huge story-wise.
I recognize that we are both more invested in Starcraft's story, but I do think that Diablo 3 failed storywise worse than Starcraft 2. Starcraft 2 had a lot of WTF moments over the course of three game installments, while Diablo 3 arguably had a much greater concentration of cringe in one. I ran replay the storymode for SC2 with greater ease and less cringe than I can with Diablo 3, which I typically rush through like a bat out of hell.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:00 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I recognize that we are both more invested in Starcraft's story, but I do think that Diablo 3 failed storywise worse than Starcraft 2. Starcraft 2 had a lot of WTF moments over the course of three game installments, while Diablo 3 arguably had a much greater concentration of cringe in one. I ran replay the storymode for SC2 with greater ease and less cringe than I can with Diablo 3, which I typically rush through like a bat out of hell.
As standalone games D3 is worse, but I'm talking from a sequel perspective. D3 was more of the same, almost a soft reboot. Crappy, but its own thing. SC2 just lead nowhere, and coming from SC1 and the comics/novels, it's even more disappointing to see all the wasted opportunities. The storytelling itself is worse in D3 hands down, but the worldbuilding is better (both are still shit lorewise though).

Tags
blizzard, critical thinking