Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 06-22-2016, 10:02 PM

World Builder

Default Can/Should Blizz necro its Classic Franchises?

Title says it all.

Would you like to see Blackthorne, Lost Vikings, or Rock N' Roll Racing, revived, in setting, gameplay or some combination of the two?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-23-2016, 10:44 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Title says it all.

Would you like to see Blackthorne, Lost Vikings, or Rock N' Roll Racing, revived, in setting, gameplay or some combination of the two?
I want to see Blizzard revived.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-23-2016, 10:56 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I'd like a point and click in the Lost Vikings universe.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Dryad

I want this:

Original Post
Old 06-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Elune

A Lost Vikings III would be pretty great.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:58 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
A Lost Vikings III would be pretty great.
I still want Blizz to bring them back, maybe not as the same type of game, but as some kinda... adventure based Smash Bros, similar to HotS, but traveling through the other settings as a gag, or just the classic settings.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-15-2016, 03:10 AM

Elune

Nah, I think Blizzard has split their attention too much as it is. They need to focus more on their primary franchises. And spinoffs for those major franchises, lots and lots of spinoffs.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:57 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Nah, I think Blizzard has split their attention too much as it is. They need to focus more on their primary franchises. And spinoffs for those major franchises, lots and lots of spinoffs.
Starcraft has largely been wrapped up (say what you will about Legacy it concluded the series pretty damn nicely.) Maybe Blizzard can devote more time to fixing warcraft or making another Diablo game.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:24 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Awh, I'd have enjoyed a 'modern' take on Blackthorne.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-17-2016, 07:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Dunno I think blizzard is far too SJWish atm.

I mean the games industry itself is abit too SJW (at least some companies like Paradox which from what I heard didnt have the nationalism stuff for Hearts of iron or whatever)
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 07-18-2016, 08:23 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Dunno I think blizzard is far too SJWish atm.

I mean the games industry itself is abit too SJW (at least some companies like Paradox which from what I heard didnt have the nationalism stuff for Hearts of iron or whatever)
The fuck does that have to do with anything?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-18-2016, 10:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
Starcraft has largely been wrapped up (say what you will about Legacy it concluded the series pretty damn nicely.) Maybe Blizzard can devote more time to fixing warcraft or making another Diablo game.
I dunno, I feel the exact opposite. Blizz RTS squad is jobless and given the new SC book that seems to introduce a new faction of the zerg, probably a more expansionist minded one... that implies a new SC RTS to me. I suppose we will see if that is a thing either this Blizzcon or the next.

Quote:
Awh, I'd have enjoyed a 'modern' take on Blackthorne.
Tbh I know very little of legacy Blizz IPs. I just selfishly want more Starcraft (and maybe a salvaged Warcraft, but I am not holding my breath).
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 AM

Eternal

I'd rather they focus on their main franchises.

Quote:
The fuck does that have to do with anything?
I think he means that blizzard remaking anything while they and the gaming industry are in ''SJW mode'' will only ruin said remakes, story wise anyway, so he prefers they not do that and just leave us with fond memories of the old games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Old 07-26-2016, 08:50 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
I'd rather they focus on their main franchises.

I think he means that blizzard remaking anything while they and the gaming industry are in ''SJW mode'' will only ruin said remakes, story wise anyway, so he prefers they not do that and just leave us with fond memories of the old games.
Eh well fuck that noise, Zarya and Lucio are great. Ana is great.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-05-2016, 04:09 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

People are still wanting a Warcraft 4, but at this rate, I think they'll be riding off of WoW and Overwatch.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:53 PM

Eternal

Is this a good time to point out that an HD remake of SC2 is apparently in the offing?

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
I agree with you that they need to focus more on the primary franchises. Wouldn't spinoffs have the opposite effect, though?

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-05-2016, 07:52 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I agree with you that they need to focus more on the primary franchises. Wouldn't spinoffs have the opposite effect, though?
Depends on what the aim is, spin-offs have the potential of expanding on the universe of primary franchises.

That's more of a story reason in support of it though, it wouldn't necessarily do anything to improve upon the gameplay of the base game.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:59 AM

Eternal

Speaking more seriously, I don't know what value Blizzard gets from digging into their back catalog when it's already stretched pretty thin as it is. Blackthorne might make a reasonable addition to Heroes if they can give him a unique niche, Rock n Roll Racing as a map in Heroes might be a good way to work it back in, but racing games and burly silent male protagonists with a mysterious past are pretty old hat these days.

Heroes is really the place to do those kinds of callbacks when they want to do them. I just don't see them actually resurrecting the games themselves because they're just from another era in gaming at this point, to the extent that even the styles those games were a part of have really evolved dramatically.

That may be another reason why a new Warcraft RTS might not even happen. If Starcraft is still being played over SC2, can Team 1 really deliver a modern AAA RTS that's an improvement over their older works?

And that's not really meant to be a slam on Blizzard's current quality. It's just really more a question of "can one improve upon perfection?"

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
And that's not really meant to be a slam on Blizzard's current quality. It's just really more a question of "can one improve upon perfection?"
No, but it does not exactly hurt to slap on a fresh coat of paint; perfection gets old. Something can be mechanically flawless but still look terrible.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
No, but it does not exactly hurt to slap on a fresh coat of paint; perfection gets old. Something can be mechanically flawless but still look terrible.
Which is a reason to do a HD remake for their older games, but in the model of the FFX/FFXII remakes: you're not doing gameplay changes, there's no additional story, it's literally just improving the quality of the assets and the engine in order to bring the game up to modern standards.

The risk is something like what happened with the iOS release of FFV. *shudder*

Old 08-07-2016, 12:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Spinoffs if they are not a joke, like Hearthstone is a joke for example, can advance the story in meaningful ways as Grim said. And it can be fun to experience some old and popular franchies from a different angle (see an RTS as a FPS and so on).
Old 08-07-2016, 01:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Spinoffs if they are not a joke, like Hearthstone is a joke for example, can advance the story in meaningful ways as Grim said. And it can be fun to experience some old and popular franchies from a different angle (see an RTS as a FPS and so on).
I can see that, but I'm annoyed at how much media I'm expected to consume in order to get the whole story. Granted, this isn't quite the same thing, but it got frustrating when WoW decided to tell a lot of its stories through novels and comics.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if the spinoffs are just used to explore a particular aspect of the world. However, there isn't a single franchise for which I'd be willing to invest much time and effort in tracking down every piece of media.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-08-2016, 02:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
I can see that, but I'm annoyed at how much media I'm expected to consume in order to get the whole story. Granted, this isn't quite the same thing, but it got frustrating when WoW decided to tell a lot of its stories through novels and comics.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if the spinoffs are just used to explore a particular aspect of the world. However, there isn't a single franchise for which I'd be willing to invest much time and effort in tracking down every piece of media.
I can see your point. Having the original work and its true blooded successors be the crux of the franchise while the spinoffs of every media are just bonus content you are likely to enjoy, which expands the universe but which you don't strictly need to experience to enjoy the main fare is probably the best approach.

Though to an extent spin-offs inherently take away the focus away from the original work. This can't be helped and I suppose is a thing that would split the casuals and the hardcores in terms of their devotion to the work.

I guess I would do it for Starcraft at this point, probably not for Warcraft but I am open to the idea.

Last edited by C9H20; 09-09-2016 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: TYPOOOES!

Tags
blizzard