Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 06-17-2017, 01:02 AM

Eternal

Default Warcraft III & Diablo II Remastered

So apparently, Blizzard is also making a remastered version for Warcraft III and Diablo II. That's good news. If it ends up similar (which I suspect it will) to what they do with Starcraft I, I'll be content.

http://diablo.blizzplanet.com/blog/c...-ii-remastered
Old 06-17-2017, 03:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
So apparently, Blizzard is also making a remastered version for Warcraft III and Diablo II. That's good news. If it ends up similar (which I suspect it will) to what they do with Starcraft I, I'll be content.

http://diablo.blizzplanet.com/blog/c...-ii-remastered
Meh, not sure if like.

Will they also make the original versions free? I kinda doubt it so, with StarCraft they had a reason (franchise dying, need more multiplayer activity) but with these two...

Also, not sure how they can remaster W3 with how the editor works. How are they going to control you don't use the new models in custom maps? More lame limitations? (Patch 1.24, never forget) Or maybe the remastered version is unable to play with the old one?

Unless they make them free updates, and keep selling the old version bundled with the new one, I don't think I will like the result.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-17-2017, 05:44 AM

Eternal

Not sure I see the issue. Just make it so that the maps using custom models are unable to be played cross-version. The rest, both custom maps and melee, can be played together, there's no issue.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Not sure I see the issue. Just make it so that the maps using custom models are unable to be played cross-version. The rest, both custom maps and melee, can be played together, there's no issue.
And how are you going to detect those models, when people can put any models they want ingame?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-17-2017, 06:21 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
And how are you going to detect those models, when people can put any models they want ingame?
For a custom model or skin to be present, you need to import it to the map first. And it is not particularly hard to make the map change its category automatically if you do, just like how now a map changes its category from melee to custom the moment you alter the default setup. All they’d literally have to do is have three categories (melee, custom, custom with custom models) that would change automatically the moment you’d hit the predetermined condition while working on the map within the editor.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
For a custom model or skin to be present, you need to import it to the map first. And it is not particularly hard to make the map change its category automatically if you do, just like how now a map changes its category from melee to custom the moment you alter the default setup. All they’d literally have to do is have three categories (melee, custom, custom with custom models) that would change automatically the moment you’d hit the predetermined condition while working on the map within the editor.
And how do you tell which imported models are from the remastered edition and which aren't? It's literally impossible to detect.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 AM

Eternal

Quote:
And how do you tell which imported models are from the remastered edition and which aren't? It's literally impossible to detect.
I am not sure I understand you here. Why would you need to tell them apart? The remastered edition models would be bundled with the base game, not imported.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Elune

Even if they make an adequate WCIII remake you know, you just know they won't resist retconning the shit out of the game to make it "compatible" with WoW's lore.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:08 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
Even if they make an adequate WCIII remake you know, you just know they won't resist retconning the shit out of the game to make it "compatible" with WoW's lore.
Hence why it is good they are not doing a remake, they are doing a remaster.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
I am not sure I understand you here. Why would you need to tell them apart? The remastered edition models would be bundled with the base game, not imported.
That's my point, how do you stop people from importing them out to the non-remastered edition?

Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 AM

Elune

Quote:
Hence why it is good they are not doing a remake, they are doing a remaster.
I meant a remaster, not a remake, sorry. Still, not very optimistic about it. Nothing stops them from just replacing all the cut-scenes with "comic strips" like what they're doing with the StarCraft remaster and shit all over the lore.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 AM

Eternal

Quote:
That's my point, how do you stop people from importing them out to the non-remastered edition?
You don't? Why's that an issue?

Quote:
I meant a remaster, not a remake, sorry. Still, not very optimistic about it. Nothing stops them from just replacing all the cut-scenes with "comic strips" like what they're doing with the StarCraft remaster and shit all over the lore.
We do not know if those comic strips will "shit all over the lore".

And I do not see how's that an issue either, you can always play the old version. Lore is retconned anyway.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:06 AM

Arch-Druid

It's amazing how you guys can find reasons to hate on anything Blizzard
Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
It's amazing how you guys can find reasons to hate on anything Blizzard
It's pretty fascinating.

Especially the assertion that making SC/BW free while charging for SC:R is okay "because starcraft is dying" but making WC3/D2 free ahead of remasters wouldn't happen.

I feel like folks are going to some great lengths to shit on this.

Anyway: if a WC3 remaster comes bundled with an editor that can enable WC1/2/2x remakes, I will literally throw all of my money at it. Hell, my real desire is that Blizzard does those remakes themselves, and specifically BECAUSE Chronicles Vol. 2 already retconned the shit out of the First and Second Wars and I want that shit to be fucking PLAYABLE.

So yeah, just to balance out Lon-ami and Gortrash, I'm 100% on board with Classic Games taking on WC3 and D2. I could even see a resurgence of interest in D2 inspiring more DLC for D3, and at that point Blizzard is just printing money while whatever the next Diablo project is percolates.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:11 AM

Elune

Damn right I'll shit on it. Nothing about Blizzard's recent track record makes me believe they won't screw this up.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:51 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Damn right I'll shit on it. Nothing about Blizzard's recent track record makes me believe they won't screw this up.
Well, at least we know where we both stand. ^_^

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Old 06-17-2017, 09:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Eh, remastering is just an easy way to get folks to buy the same thing twice.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-17-2017, 11:15 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Eh, remastering is just an easy way to get folks to buy the same thing twice.
Considering most, if not all, of us haven't payed for them since they were released, I would say it's pretty fair. Though if you want to get technical, a remaster is, by definition, different from the original without sacrificing its fundamental properties.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:58 AM

Elune

Thumbs down

Quote:
That wont happen but if it did, that would be bad how? I'd love to see the canon version of WC3 events
Old 06-18-2017, 06:15 AM

Elune

Anyway, do you folks recon there'll be some announcements at BlizzCon?
Old 06-18-2017, 06:30 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
It's pretty fascinating.

Especially the assertion that making SC/BW free while charging for SC:R is okay "because starcraft is dying" but making WC3/D2 free ahead of remasters wouldn't happen.

I feel like folks are going to some great lengths to shit on this.

Anyway: if a WC3 remaster comes bundled with an editor that can enable WC1/2/2x remakes, I will literally throw all of my money at it. Hell, my real desire is that Blizzard does those remakes themselves, and specifically BECAUSE Chronicles Vol. 2 already retconned the shit out of the First and Second Wars and I want that shit to be fucking PLAYABLE.

So yeah, just to balance out Lon-ami and Gortrash, I'm 100% on board with Classic Games taking on WC3 and D2. I could even see a resurgence of interest in D2 inspiring more DLC for D3, and at that point Blizzard is just printing money while whatever the next Diablo project is percolates.
You can count me in as well. I am glad with what they are doing with Starcraft I, and if we get something similar to that, I will be absolutely content. And I hope we eventually also get a remaster of Warcraft II. Although I would keep it 2D, just 4k.

And as I mentioned above, even if these remasters feature the retconned version of the events (which I hope not, although I am ultimately fine either way), I do not see what's the issue. You can always play the old version to have "the authentic experience". And it is not like these events are nor retconned already anyway.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

*holds hope for HD vanilla tbc wrath wow with Legion models and graphics* I mean it is possible for that right now
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Eternal

Quote:
You can count me in as well. I am glad with what they are doing with Starcraft I, and if we get something similar to that, I will be absolutely content. And I hope we eventually also get a remaster of Warcraft II. Although I would keep it 2D, just 4k.

And as I mentioned above, even if these remasters feature the retconned version of the events (which I hope not, although I am ultimately fine either way), I do not see what's the issue. You can always play the old version to have "the authentic experience". And it is not like these events are nor retconned already anyway.
There's a couple ways to go about it. If SC:R is any indication, preserving Starcraft/Brood Wars' original everything is a holy grail of the remaster process, even when there's totally the opportunity to make changes to reflect the later continuity changes (though I honestly wouldn't be able to speak authoritatively on what those changes were). When it comes to WC3/TFT/D2, there's no reason to think that they wouldn't go in with the same objective of preserving the content.

Now a huge reason to change nothing but the visuals is to prevent the creation of stuff like new units, or add new missions that would then require voice recording for in-game cutscenes. Some of the voice actors might not be available, and even if they were, it would take a lot of work to ensure that they sound like they did 20 years ago.

All that being said, I feel like there's far more opportunity to do stuff like additional campaigns for WC3, or altering the existing campaigns to account for changes in the lore (especially if they decide to turn all of the cutscenes into comics, eliminating the need for voice acting). As you said, if folks want to play the original versions, those are still available (and will likely be made free when the remasters come out) in their unadulterated versions.

I might add that the notion of new content for these games doesn't seem too far outside the realm of possibility: the Classic Games division might want more projects aside from mere maintenance going forward. And recall that Baldur's Gate got an additional expansion 18 years after the game was released; I think Blizzard would be remiss to not take advantage of the chance to add new content to WC3, whether or not it resulted in a new revenue stream of DLC.

Last edited by MisterCrow; 06-18-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
I might add that the notion of new content for these games doesn't seem too far outside the realm of possibility: the Classic Games division might want more projects aside from mere maintenance going forward. And recall that Baldur's Gate got an additional expansion 18 years after the game was released; I think Blizzard would be remiss to not take advantage of the chance to add new content to WC3, whether or not it resulted in a new revenue stream of DLC.
They released DLC for SCII- those Nova missions- to incredibly mild reaction. I doubt DLC for WCIII is on the horizon, no one I know played those nova games and I doubt they sold well.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:27 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
They released DLC for SCII- those Nova missions- to incredibly mild reaction. I doubt DLC for WCIII is on the horizon, no one I know played those nova games and I doubt they sold well.
I played them, they were pretty good, but they released so far apart from each other and were announced almost a year in advance of actually being playable so the initial hype was long dead by the time it was done.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Tags
blizzard, remake