Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2017, 02:55 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Default Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Spoilers!)

Just came back from seeing it.

I feel weird about this movie.

The whole tempo and process is very dragging, we got this whole movie on chasing, and the climax is not focused enough, we got like climax after climax and each wasn't strong enough. Snoke dies-The ship blow up-Luke shows up, that's a bit too much and should instead focus on 1-2.

I do like Luke's portrayal, while it's sad to see him die. I know many people surely dislike how he thought about killing Ren, but at least that's understandable. His death scene was perfect.

First Order got really badly characterization. Every one of them feel so incompetent unlike the Empire in the old trilogy or the PT villains. Even though they destroyed the republic and almost wiped out the rebels. They suck so much.

Ren' acting was terrible compare to Rey. I can't imagine him being the next movie's antagonist.

Overall I will give like 3.5/5.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Elune

I'm actually shocked. Slow and I agree a lot on this movie.

But here is my review and the good and bad points of it.

Overall, I liked this movie more than I liked TFA. This does fill me with dread about episode IX since JJ Lensflare will be back in the directors chair.

So let's start with the list of the good and then the list of the bad.

Good stuff:

1) It wasn't a reshoot of ESB. Unlike TFA which was a total reshoot of ANH, TLJ did have it's ESB moments, but also did have some RoTJ moments. But overall, it wasn't a ESB reshoot. It did have a similar tone, which I expected.

2) I actually enjoyed the main characters this time around. Rey wasn't a MarySue, Finn wasn't the total comic relief character and Poe moved forward as a character. Ben was a mixed bag. Some good parts and a lot of bad parts, more on that in the next section. Luke was pretty good as well. And seeing Yoda again really put a smile on my face. It was one cameo I can get behind for this.

3) Lots and lots of plot twists. They really didn't play it safe, except in one area. Snoke being killed by Ren? I did not see that coming at all. A fitting end for a pretty forgettable character. Plasma is presumed dead and Leia being blown out of the cruiser and nearly dying? But there was some bad about that as well. Finn getting a love interest that isn't Poe? The Poe/Finn Shippers aren't going to be very happy about that. Hux and Ren aren't on the same page without Snoke being there to hold everything together. I really want to see if they do more with that. Luke dies in the end. I have a feeling that if Carrie Fisher hadn't died before IX that she was going to die in IX. They really are serious about putting an end to the whole Skywalker saga.

4) Physics, or at least the SW version of it. Laser blasts actually have a range. I never thought that they would bring it into cannon and they did. Although it does put a new spin on the Battle for Endor and the Rebel tactics.

5) We finally know Rey's parents. I mean, hopefully we know and this just isn't a red herring. I do applaud it. Having her being related to someone famous is just too much, especially in such a large galaxy. This was the best choice, although it still doesn't explain her marysueness with the Force in TFA.

Bad Stuff.

1) Too much humor and humor in all of the wrong places. Just watch the first five minutes and you'll understand. It really ruined parts of the movie for me since it knocked you out of the groove the movie was going in. The porgs weren't the problem, it was the main characters. Luke doing his shoulder dust thing after being blasted by the AT-ATs as another example.

2) The First Order is a laughing stock and cannot be taken seriously. Again, see the first five minutes as just one example. I'm sorry, but they aren't very effective bad guys especially when you compare them to the Galactic Empire. They still continue to come across as kids who are trying to cosplay as the GE. General Hux tries so hard but keeps coming up as Admiral Ozzel. Snoke's big plan was to just kill Luke and Rey? I guess. But, I am honestly glad that they aren't the GE, they are really doing a diservice to the name if they were.

3) So in the short time since the end of TFA, the FO has managed to control a even larger portion of the galaxy? The Republic had no other fleets elsewhere? No backups? Did they really just turn into the GE after the end of RotJ? And where in the hell is the Galactic Empire? We know they still exist. Are they still sitting on the sidelines? Did they join up with the FO? Did the FO just turn on them?

4) Ren is still a emo. Although he is now SL, but even after that promotion, emo has to emo. Which makes the FO even more of joke now that Ren is in charge. Maybe he will find out what happened to the other Knights of Ren?

5) How did Leia survive being shot out into space? Jedi really are unkillable I guess.

6) Since when could Force ghosts interact with their surroundings? Yoda does it on the island and then Luke does his projection and fights Ren. Can Sith do this as well? How much more overpowered can the jedi be?

7) After hinting and hinting, they didn't have Rey break bad. This does sadden me since it would've been a risk that would've paid off by making her go bad and see how the fallout of that effects the Resistence, and cople that with Ren possibly going back to being Ben would've made IX much more impactful.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:42 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Yes, this movie is trying a lot of new stuff, just some of them are not what lots of ppl would want to see.

my biggest problem is still the First Order's portrayal and the overall tempo of the movie.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

None of you people are allowed to complain about this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:27 PM

Eternal

There are two things I heavily dislike about this movie, but that could nonetheless be fixed in episode IX.

First was that Snoke died so easily. He has this whole air of mystery, and many interviews painted him as being more powerful than any Sith, a product of the Dark Side, etc. Him being a useless dork is utterly unsatisfying. But hope this has all been part of his plan, since the result was Kylo becomes even more evil and powerful, and that it is revealed in th next episode that he is still very much alive.

Second is that Kylo said Rey is a child of nobodies. While having a character not be related to any famous bloodlines is okay, her being OP in that scenario is horrible. If she is related to someone, then her OPness is okay. I hope it will be revealed that Kylo was lying and that Rey is either a Kenobi or a Palpatine.

Additionally, while I was happy Yoda showed up, I was really hoping for Anakin and/or Obi-Wan. I still hope they appear in IX. Would be awesome, if to destroy Snoke for good, the heroes needed to team up with all the past force ghosts and fight together with them (we've seen that force ghosts can affect the world when Yoda called down lightning).
Old 12-16-2017, 09:47 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

I really liked the film. 9/10.

The very clear Disney mash-up with Star Wars was magnificent in a few moments. I really liked Ren's acting and the cinematography, as well as the colors, were nothing short of on point.

Also Ren killing his master was perfect, as it's the fitting completion of any decent Sith training.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:53 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
There are two things I heavily dislike about this movie, but that could nonetheless be fixed in episode IX.

First was that Snoke died so easily. He has this whole air of mystery, and many interviews painted him as being more powerful than any Sith, a product of the Dark Side, etc. Him being a useless dork is utterly unsatisfying. But hope this has all been part of his plan, since the result was Kylo becomes even more evil and powerful, and that it is revealed in th next episode that he is still very much alive.

Second is that Kylo said Rey is a child of nobodies. While having a character not be related to any famous bloodlines is okay, her being OP in that scenario is horrible. If she is related to someone, then her OPness is okay. I hope it will be revealed that Kylo was lying and that Rey is either a Kenobi or a Palpatine.

Additionally, while I was happy Yoda showed up, I was really hoping for Anakin and/or Obi-Wan. I still hope they appear in IX. Would be awesome, if to destroy Snoke for good, the heroes needed to team up with all the past force ghosts and fight together with them (we've seen that force ghosts can affect the world when Yoda called down lightning).
First one, absolutely.

Second one, I think many powerful force users were that strong. The problem is just that she could use many techniques, this might have something to do with her memory/planted memory.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Well, to be fair Anakin was a child of nobody important too. In fact the idea of powerful Force-user "families" related by blood seems like a pretty recent, highly Expanded Universe-based idea via the Skywalkers and Solos pumping out exceptionally Force-talented kids left-and-right before that stuff became non-canon.

After all, the Jedi rejection of personal attachments and the Sith Rule of Two would rather inherently and significantly cut down on the historical likelihood of Force-users creating families that produce more Force-users. For a really long time it seemed like both groups were extremely dependent on just finding and training Force-sensitives being born randomly throughout the galaxy to non-Force-sensitive parents, and yet that didn't really prevent some of those Jedi and Sith from ending up being extremely powerful.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:36 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I still think Rogue One is the best SW movie of this era so far.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:09 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

The Dreadnought captain was way more competent then Hux, which isnt saying much. Hux was a cartoon villain almost the entire movie.

Why they blew up the rebel base first instead of the cruiser is beyond me. Cut off their escape, blow them up at leisure.

Also, why they didnt peel off a pair of Star Destroyers to jump around to the other side of the Rebels is beyond me. Or send in huge waves of fighters once they took out the fighters still sitting in the hangars.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 12-17-2017, 01:21 AM

Arch-Druid

I’m happy people on here seem to enjoy the movie for the most part. I’m going to see it next week and the internet had me convinced it was crap.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Kylo is the only good part about the FO.

Also

Too many porg scenes and disney selling stuff scenes.
Btag is Hulk#23939

Last edited by Gurzog; 12-17-2017 at 05:08 AM..
Old 12-17-2017, 05:20 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:

It’s implied that Ren and Rey are opposites. It’s like the force made Rey to counter Kylo. They’re both Anakin in a way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:46 AM

Elune

They are he first force wielders reborn, the force comes from that tree yoda burned down.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 12-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Obviously they are the reincarnations of The Sister and The Brother.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:11 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
The Dreadnought captain was way more competent then Hux, which isnt saying much. Hux was a cartoon villain almost the entire movie.

Why they blew up the rebel base first instead of the cruiser is beyond me. Cut off their escape, blow them up at leisure.

Also, why they didnt peel off a pair of Star Destroyers to jump around to the other side of the Rebels is beyond me. Or send in huge waves of fighters once they took out the fighters still sitting in the hangars.
But sadly Hux is the most competent named character of FO. Phasma, Ren and Snoke are all jokes.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

What was the point of killing Luke anyway? The whole revelation that he wasn't really there was cool as hell and the point of that was to shown that Ren could not kill him. And then he dies by himself anyway. What a joke.

Also, we've got no idea of who the hell Snoke is and he dies like a scrub.

And don't get me started on how utterly bad and ridiculous the scene where Leia uses the Force to save herself was...

But still, at least it's not a remake of another movie like the VII was so it's still better. I'd say the movie had a few good ideas, most of which were badly done but at least the idea wasn't that bad. 6/10
Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
But sadly Hux is the most competent named character of FO. Phasma, Ren and Snoke are all jokes.
Hux was better in the first movie.

The only thing that I really liked about Hux in this movie was it's pretty damn clear that he has no love for Ren, and if Ren didn't have the Force, Hux would put him out of his misery.

Which is something that I want to see played up in the next movie. It's clear while Ren thinks that he is SL, Hux is looking more as being a co-leader since there is no way if Snoke was still leading instead of Ren that Hux would be countermanding and questioning every single order that Snoke gave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
I’m happy people on here seem to enjoy the movie for the most part. I’m going to see it next week and the internet had me convinced it was crap.
This is a weird movie in that the critics absolutely love it. But the general public is going meh, or slight above meh in it. Normally a movie like this the critics hate or meh it while the public goes full on love for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Obviously they are the reincarnations of The Sister and The Brother.
Go further back than them and you'll be at the right mark.

Quote:
It’s implied that Ren and Rey are opposites. It’s like the force made Rey to counter Kylo. They’re both Anakin in a way.
Makes me wonder what role Snoke had to play in that since it was he who connected the two of them. Did he make a connection that was already there, or did he just make a new connection?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
None of you people are allowed to complain about this movie.
Kyle Katarn was erased from canon so that this garbage could live.

EDIT: I'll probably catch it on Netflix someday.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:39 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Hux was better in the first movie.

The only thing that I really liked about Hux in this movie was it's pretty damn clear that he has no love for Ren, and if Ren didn't have the Force, Hux would put him out of his misery.

Which is something that I want to see played up in the next movie. It's clear while Ren thinks that he is SL, Hux is looking more as being a co-leader since there is no way if Snoke was still leading instead of Ren that Hux would be countermanding and questioning every single order that Snoke gave.
He didn't like Ren because Ren was overly stupid and unfit for a duty like that.

But still, Hux is still a bit laughable if you compare him to Tarkin.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:44 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I haven't gotten around to seeing TLJ yet (maybe tomorrow), but I've read the first two sentences of the opening crawl and that was enough to make me mad.
Really, guys? We're just going to handwave the New Republic off-screen so we can go back to having a rebellion?

I'm also reading that they seem to have made subverting expectations the core of the movie. Like, everything is designed to be a surprise to the audience for some dumb reason. If you were expecting a coherent narrative that makes sense, that expectation will be subverted.
Member #14
Old 12-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Elune

Rose character is such a fucking cancer in the movie. I almost yelled out YES FUCKING FINALLY! when she got btfo at the Hoth battle.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 12-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I haven't gotten around to seeing TLJ yet (maybe tomorrow), but I've read the first two sentences of the opening crawl and that was enough to make me mad.
Really, guys? We're just going to handwave the New Republic off-screen so we can go back to having a rebellion?

I'm also reading that they seem to have made subverting expectations the core of the movie. Like, everything is designed to be a surprise to the audience for some dumb reason. If you were expecting a coherent narrative that makes sense, that expectation will be subverted.
To be fair, they kinda wiped out the entire New Republic capital in the last movie.

But, it does handwave a lot of things and ends up giving us more questions than answers:

1) Why didn't the New Republic have a backup plan in case anything happened to their capital? Keep in mind that the capital is where all of the various senators/reps from member planets worked at. The various members still have their planets and their leadership. Kinda like if you were to nuke Washington DC, you would still have the various governors still working. It would cause paralysis for a bit, but eventually they would get their act together since we are talking about a huge amount of space and the FO is a small portion of the GE which was pushed back into a very small corner of space.

With the GE you could understand it since Palpatine pretty much figured that he was going to live forever and if he ever did die then he would take the GE with him so he never set up a formal chain of command if he ever died.

2) This takes place almost immediately after TFA and the Resistence is basically a handful of ships? That's it? The Rebellion's fleet from ESB was larger and they were going up against the GE which pretty much ruled the entire galaxy. The FO doesn't do that. The GE doesn't do that, the NR did do that.

3) Where is the NR fleet? Did they have their entire fleet at their capital? Why didn't any of them join the Resistence?
Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 PM

Elune

Just got back from seeing it. Very mixed on it overall.

Thoughts:

-I was initially VERY worried they were going to rehash ESB at the beginning with the text crawl making me feel a lot like it was going the same direction, but glad it wasn't.

-What the FUCK was with those bombers? First off, are you seriously telling me that Leia couldn't just countermand Poe? And second, those are the most sitting duck as fuck bombers ever, Jesus H. Christ. I thought Y-Wings were the bomber type anyway? Those things just flew in pretty much a straight line, holy fuck.

-I had zero problems with those...whatever the fuck little bird-rat things on Luke's island. Were cute without being overbearing. I want to own one.

-Snoke went out like a bitch, but dude had a pimping robe.

-Ben and Rey's fighting together against the guard in the throne room was one of the highlights of the film. Lot of fun watching that, probably my favorite.

-Everything involving the casino town/planet could've been excised without any real issue. What the fuck was even the point of that? "We're here to get the codebreaker, but we failed, but oh wait there's this schmuck in the very cell we're in that is a codebreaker too! How fortunate!" (Headcanon of mine is that he actually is the codebreaker they were looking for, just lost his pin in a bet)

-While I'm on it, what the fuck was with the holo-chat with Lupita's character (whose name I can't remember)? It was like from a video game. God damn dumb.

-Phasma continued to be completely fucking worthless and I hope to god she's dead because Christ Almighty don't bring her back again.

-The whole "our escape craft are cloaked" thing was dumb. Yeah I can imagine them being cloaked from the First Order's scanners, sure, but they have EYES and you seriously want me to believe that they can't see a dozen flickering lights suddenly detach and fly away from the ship they're pursuing?

-And finally, the entire fucking rebellion can fit on the Falcon. They will need a serious timeskip to build shit up for the next part.

Now one thing I did like is the whole Rey's parents were nothing (though apparently that's being walked back, which fuck you if so).

edit: Oh! And what the Hell was with that one Leia scene? You know the one if you've seen it. I actually guffawed out loud at it. What the fuck.

Last edited by Arakiba; 12-17-2017 at 07:18 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 07:11 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Supposedly the majority of it and the fleet were destroyed in VII by Starkiller Base. Wonder if there's EU stuff that expanded on that a little more than what planets we saw destroyed.

Tags
entertainment, star trek