Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2017, 11:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

But grievous was aware of the plot and he agreed to the fact that anakin would kill dooku so he could become supreme manipulated leader.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 12-31-2017, 11:22 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Thumbs up

Star Wars is no worse than it has been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:37 PM

Elune

I personally think director rotal did a poor job with the cast, coz rey is still """"""""""""acting""""""""""""
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 12-31-2017, 11:43 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I personally think director rotal did a poor job with the cast, coz rey is still """"""""""""acting""""""""""""
Haha, are you seriously holding Star Wars actors to some kind of standard?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-31-2017, 11:53 PM

Elune

yes.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 01-01-2018, 12:29 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
No, I still needed an "airlock open" effect in some form or fashion, maybe a noise or a sudden suction of the bombs (like when Grievous broke the airlock seal in RotS, or any given space movie) to let me know the director did remember that they were in space.
Why?
Blame the original trilogy - visible force fields are a Prequel-thing first and foremost. In fact the tiny little blue force field you see Leia glide through is more than you normally get.

Quote:
An entire universe and millenia of its lore were wiped out. For this story that ends with an entire "resistance" fitting on the Falcon.
I wonder where this kind of talk was when The Force Retcons was shit. It's like everyone's turning into me except they won't admit it. Rogue One was apparently a fluke - the rumors say it's because Rogue One was a passion project whereas the Episode movies and Han Solo are Mouse mandates. And HOO BOY does it show nobody seemed to want to work on 7 and 8.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:33 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Yeah how dare people expect a movie to be an improvement from its decades old predecessors.
You can expect whatever you want, but throwing a fit about bomb artificial gravity but being totally ok with hyperspace, sound in space, artificial gravity in any fucking ship even without power, incoherent inertia rules, hyperspace ramming being a thing but never being used ... Is just weird.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Why?

Blame the original trilogy - visible force fields are a Prequel-thing first and foremost. In fact the tiny little blue force field you see Leia glide through is more than you normally get.
The white border to that opening tells me that science fiction magic is happening. There's alsono door suddenly opening or closing. When a door suddenly opens or closes in Star Wars, we get an "airlock open" effect.

Similar to the complaint about English alphabet letters, a lot is about series consistency.

Quote:
I wonder where this kind of talk was when The Force Retcons was shit. It's like everyone's turning into me except they won't admit it.
I was there. My big complaints have always been that 1) the Republic-Resistance dichotomy is inane and stupid, and 2) neither Kylo nor the First Order were credible threats.
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...&postcount=109

Last Jedi took a few good steps there. The Republic just got written out, so no more stupid dichotomy. Pretend like it never happened. Hooray?

With the antagonists, Snopes got to be the audience's mouthpiece, yeah? Making fun of Kylo for losing his fight and being worthless, after which he ditched his "ridiculous" Darth Revan" mask for good. Unfortunately... he's still a crazed loser who still demonstrates incompetence.

And the First Order can win a battle against the Resistance, yay! Unfortunately... it took the entire movie to finish that battle, and we're seeing a very small world in action. A very very small world. Single digits worth of ships fighting each other. Are these two factions with their handful of soldiers the only military left in the universe? It feels like you could stick 200 Wampas in a series of shielded transports, throw them into the war, and they'd have solid odds at beating the other two factions and taking over the universe.

Quote:
Rogue One was apparently a fluke - the rumors say it's because Rogue One was a passion project whereas the Episode movies and Han Solo are Mouse mandates. And HOO BOY does it show nobody seemed to want to work on 7 and 8.
Rogue One was oookay. Do you know why? Because it was a movie about the Galactic Empire kicking ass. And we knew we were watching only a very small part of the galaxy, while bigger wheels turned elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
You can expect whatever you want, but throwing a fit about bomb artificial gravity but being totally ok with hyperspace, sound in space, artificial gravity in any fucking ship even without power, incoherent inertia rules, hyperspace ramming being a thing but never being used ... Is just weird.
It's about series consistency. They have to TRY. And not just the Grievous scene in RotS. A lot of us are gamers. We've opened airlocks and seen stormtroopers sucked out before.

They needed SOMETHING. A noise. Or the bombs falling out faster. Something to show the director knew we were in space. More importantly, something to show he was familiar with previous Star Wars.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 01-01-2018 at 08:32 AM..
Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

RO got cool villains and good protagonists. It's my favorite SW movie.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Yeah, they are extremely cheesy, even worse than most of the EU post RotJ villains.
The FO has cool stuff...outside the movies. Like Phasma being a traitorous nutjob or Hux and his psychotic daddy issues. There they are your average fanatical fascist regime in space but TLJ ignored all that and made them the butt of jokes.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
I mean, people do take issue with that, but the bomb thing is just more difficult to suspend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM

Elune

Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 01-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Echo of the Past

I was actually fine with the hyperspace ramming. In the original Star Wars, Han Solo gave a whole speech about how you needed to plot everything right or else you'd smack an asteroid.

I guess my only issue there is that the First Order ship should've been shielded against ramming. But then again, we're talking about the First Order.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:25 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I was actually fine with the hyperspace ramming. In the original Star Wars, Han Solo gave a whole speech about how you needed to plot everything right or else you'd smack an asteroid.

I guess my only issue there is that the First Order ship should've been shielded against ramming. But then again, we're talking about the First Order.
Hyperspace ramming should be obscenely hard to shield against.

Even a hyperspaced escape pod would make the deathstar obsolete in its destructive capacity.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2018, 11:42 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:

Even a hyperspaced escape pod would make the deathstar obsolete in its destructive capacity.
Why wouldn't it be used so often? I dunno. Escape pods don't have hyperspace, but X-Wings always did - so the Rebel Alliance could've theoretically made a practice of it.

Maybe standardized X-Wing suicide ramming, even if effective, would've been devastating to Rebel morale and recruitment efforts.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Elune

So why didnt the clones use it against stuff in the clone wars?

Or the empire against the rebels?

why didnt yoda kill sheev?

Why didnt vader or sheev use the force to escape the death star? Why didnt luke use it? instead of using the shuttle.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Loremaster

Quote:

It also kinda ignores that the whole reasoning behind sci-fi and space fantasy use of energy and particle weapons is supposed to be that shields exist specifically to nullify the impact of kinetic force.

Though to be fair, other franchises regularly ignore this and treat suicide runs like some sort of guaranteed win that always bypasses enemy shields.

Nonetheless, it's also pretty ridiculous when one considers that hyperspace and warp-type FTL travel aren't supposed to be based on inertial movement in regular space anyway. It's a "loophole" that allows one to bypass the limitation of physical objects to exceed the speed of light by transitioning out of regular space in a manner other than simply increased momentum, meaning the most one should be able to accomplish by crashing into anything is colliding at the maximum attainable sub-light velocity, which would be far less than enough to slice through multiple ships with shields that are inherently designed to crumple and repel physical objects slamming into them.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
That's a lie.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:13 PM

Eternal

Moaning about inconsistencies in a franchise like Retcon Wars. 37 years after The Retcon Strikes Back. Woah.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Well, is it a failure/disaster then? Will only get worse with the Han Solo movie?

Anyway, this is a nice video:

I genuinely think Star Wars is fucked beyond redemption now.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
For you, which is fine.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
So why didnt the clones use it against stuff in the clone wars?

Or the empire against the rebels?
Same reason they thought it was cost effective to build superweapons in the first place.

Because Star Wars is bullshit.

Quote:
A lot of people, myself included, enjoy this 'new' Star Wars more than the old one. Star Wars is dead. Long live Star Wars.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
I wouldn't say that yet but it'll be interesting to see how it will go on without the OT cast to carry it. The merch sales for the new characters aren't the best, most of it ending up on clearance, while the big three and Imperials/FO sell like hot cakes.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:42 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I wouldn't say that yet but it'll be interesting to see how it will go on without the OT cast to carry it. The merch sales for the new characters aren't the best, most of it ending up on clearance, while the big three and Imperials/FO sell like hot cakes.
Don't worry, Chewie's got this.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Can't they fire Rian Johnson and never let him touch SW again?

Tags
entertainment, star trek