Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Eternal

Vandel's one of the good ones. I think. Gotta reread that book one of these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
Becoming the guardian must endow you in ways other than magical because Aegwynn's tits are nearly the size of her head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Old 02-03-2017, 09:54 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Vandel's one of the good ones. I think. Gotta reread that book one of these days.
Want my copy? My son found a black crayon and decided to decorate.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
Want my copy? My son found a black crayon and decided to decorate.
Sounds like Illidan has another little fanboy .
Quote:
Becoming the guardian must endow you in ways other than magical because Aegwynn's tits are nearly the size of her head.
Quote:
And Lordaeron

Old 02-04-2017, 09:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Sounds like Illidan has another little fanboy .
He is a hero who will be worshiped by ALL and those who oppose him will suffer in their foolishness and failure to recognize his greatness and power!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
He is a hero who will be worshiped by ALL and those who oppose him will suffer in their foolishness and failure to recognize his greatness and power!
Yes mommy.
Quote:
Quote:
And Lordaeron

Old 02-05-2017, 04:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Correct.

Vandel was one of the better things about that book.
Why would I want to play some cunt in a dress with hands softer than a baby's belly when I can be a hulking motherfucker wearing spiked pauldrons the size of your mother's sweet ass and a loincloth that barely conceals the massive erection I'm rocking?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Random thought: if Illidan had to sacrifice Tyrande to completely and utterly kill KJ, do you think he would?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:00 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Random thought: if Illidan had to sacrifice Tyrande to completely and utterly kill KJ, do you think he would?
Good question.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Priestess of the Moon

No because that would mean he'd have to give up something he actually values.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:04 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

I think he would go full Shakespeare and suicide afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
Nah. We're the Good Scourge. The Ebon Blade is at least raising dead people into unholy mockeries of life so they can go kick demon ass, as opposed to Sylvanas "I need to create a bunch of meat shields to protect me because otherwise I might suffer consequences for my actions" Windrunner.

Last edited by Krainz; 02-11-2017 at 01:20 AM..
Old 02-11-2017, 01:17 AM

Elune

Quote:
Only IF tyrande pulled a "if you ever loved me"
“Disguised in a handlebar mustache with a ten gallon hat hanging low against his brow, Loki moseyed into Odin's party, despite the fact that he wasn't invited. Being dressed like Juan Valdez in a room full of people dawning Viking braids and pointy horned hats, however, tended to call attention to oneself. Odin's wife, Frigg, noticed Loki the moment that he stepped through the door, “What the Hel are you doing here? You weren't invited.”
Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 AM

Eternal

Quote:
The two ways that this could play out both present some narratively interesting possibilities, but I feel like both cases would feel like a step too far for Blizzard, so I don't think they'd even choose to present the possibility much less act on it.

But setting that aside, I feel like the most likely answer is no, Illidan wouldn't sacrifice Tyrande. If KJ used Tyrande as a human shield and even Tyrande is sitting there saying "kill me and you save everyone" then I feel like Illidan's response to that is going to be "killing you means all of this was for nothing". There's a couple ways to read that:
  • Illidan's unrequited love for Tyrande is his redeeming quality and is the one line he won't cross when it comes to his pursuit of power. It's probably one of the only properties of an Illidan redemption narrative that I'd be okay with, but stay with me here.
  • Illidan's selfish insistence that Tyrande is more important than literally every other living being in reality, and SPECIFICALLY because he needs the validation of showing her what she's missing by choosing Furion over him, is monumentally infuriating.

Either of these two interpretations does the same thing: fetishizing Tyrande into a prize in a conflict between two dudes. It just completely deletes any agency she has as a character, because apparently she only exists to gratify one of two Stormrage brothers.

The other option is that Illidan kills Tyrande and saves the universe, but then decides that after saving the universe, he no longer has any place in it. This has echoes of the same problems as the first option, because it means that without Tyrande's infinitesimally small possibility of choosing Illidan of Malfurion, Illidan lacks the will to live, and indeed because he himself killed her, has only himself to blame for all of it.

This either sets up Illidan to find a reason to live later on (and who wants to read a story about How the Demon Hunter Got His Groove Back?) or, as stated, he just decides to kill himself because he can't live unless he's living on the hope of Tyrande "coming to her senses" about him. That's both immensely dark and offensively objectifying.

So yeah, I think it's a good thought experiment but I don't see Blizzard going that route since it doesn't appear to go anywhere good.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Eh, Tyrande's been put on the back-burner since Malfurion entered the picture. ALP didn't do much to help her character at all and while the Insurrection questline has her in action and appearing as less impatient, her brashness and rudeness when you have to be a bad enough dude to rescue Malfurion put another negative mark on her in my eyes.

That being said, Illidan does view Tyrande as an object. I think Blizzard could pull off having him see her as a prize to be won without objectifying her through their own writing. Tyrande, of course, would be pissed off, as she should be, and maybe Illidan would finally be able to see that yes, the problem is him, not the fact that she's into tree-huggers with beards.

Well, okay, maybe that last bit plays a small part, but I digress.

It takes a good writer to pull that off well. Maybe we'll see it, but most likely not. It's a shame, because I always imagine KJ having a flare for the dramatic ala Robot Devil.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:41 PM

Elune

Look Shekinah, i don't wanna insult you but write something that COULD be percieved as Tyrande shade again and i will :3 Illidan was a mistake. HotS developers know it and if we're lucky he'll die again. Deal with it
Old 02-11-2017, 09:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by genyaarikado View Post
look shekinah, i don't wanna insult you but write something that could be percieved as tyrande shade again and i will :3 illidan was a mistake. Hots developers know it and if we're lucky he'll die again. Deal with it
ymmv
Old 02-11-2017, 10:31 PM

Elune

No it doesn't. Goddess bless.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:44 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
ALP didn't do much to help her character at all and while the Insurrection questline has her in action and appearing as less impatient, her brashness and rudeness when you have to be a bad enough dude to rescue Malfurion put another negative mark on her in my eyes.
She takes charge through that whole questline, though.

And honestly... I think that question is really hard to answer because Illidan is wildly, monstrously inconsistent.

TFT Illidan? Wouldn't do it, no way. A much more interesting question is... would Illidan give up magic to save Tyrande's life?

And actually I think tFT answers that one. He would.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:11 AM

Arch-Druid

I honestly think Tyrande was good in Legion. She's actively fighting to save her home and he loved one. It's not the prince going to save the princess in the tower, it's the opposite. And she, at one point, even decides to leave him in Xavius's grasp to go and save her temple from Ysera.

I also imagine that we were only able to slay Ysera because we were on Elune's sacred ground with Elune's High Priestess.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Eh, Tyrande's been put on the back-burner since Malfurion entered the picture. ALP didn't do much to help her character at all and while the Insurrection questline has her in action and appearing as less impatient, her brashness and rudeness when you have to be a bad enough dude to rescue Malfurion put another negative mark on her in my eyes.

That being said, Illidan does view Tyrande as an object. I think Blizzard could pull off having him see her as a prize to be won without objectifying her through their own writing. Tyrande, of course, would be pissed off, as she should be, and maybe Illidan would finally be able to see that yes, the problem is him, not the fact that she's into tree-huggers with beards.

Well, okay, maybe that last bit plays a small part, but I digress.

It takes a good writer to pull that off well. Maybe we'll see it, but most likely not. It's a shame, because I always imagine KJ having a flare for the dramatic ala Robot Devil.
I think you're right that it takes a good writer to pull off something with that much nuance, but look at the whole project of Legion: this is Blizzard trying to burnish the image of Illidan, giving him a "redemption arc" without actually turning him away from the anti-hero qualities that everyone else is in love with. It feels like a pretty awkward turn to build that to a climax where Illidan, the quintessential antihero of Warcraft, is placed in a typical heroic conflict scenario (villain forces hero to choose between love and victory) and then have Illidan suddenly do the predictable hero thing of choosing love, especially when we know Tyrande is never going to change her mind about him.

I feel like it's one thing to have this story come across well, but when you have to tell that story through the medium of WoW, through the vision of the player character as a passive observer, with constrained dialogue and the requirement that it's got to get translated into a dozen languages... that takes it all beyond just needing a talented writer and instead needing a miracle.

Could you do it in a cinematic? That eliminates the player character constraint, and it lets more body language (which is largely universal) communicate nuance rather than dialogue... and, well, the Val'sharah questing cinematics that cover the corruption and death of Ysera show that you can communicate a lot without any dialogue at all.

Man, I don't know.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Tags
illidan, illidan is always right, illidan is always wrong, illidan stormrage