Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default Blizzard's Portrayal of Death

I was going to post it in the WarCraft forum, but I felt this should be broader.

Implied Deaths vs. Shown Deaths

Quote:
Because of the demographic to which many of our favorite series appeal, implied deaths have become a norm in flagship pieces such as One Piece and Naruto.

In One Piece there are many implied deaths during arcs like Water 7, Impel Down, The Paramount War, etc. I mean how do you feel knowing that Luffy murdered a large number of people while trying to save his brother, i.e. the guards who fell to their deaths in the boiling water/blood, soldiers and pirates during the rescue, etc.?

In Naruto countless Shinobi die without so much as an introduction, whilst a main character like Neji is used as an emotional tool for the readers.

Do you think itís OK for authors to use secondary charactersí deaths merely as fodder, and use main character deaths as an emotional tool? We arenít saying that those moments arenít fun (like when a planet blows up in DBZ) but isnít it a little bit cavalier in teaching kids in about how little value some lives have, versus the weight that the lives of ďimportantĒ people have? It would be absolutely impossible to give a voice to every character, and the deaths of the main characters have weight because of our attachment to them. Still, it sometimes bothers me that these fun-loving characters murder all the time. Just a thought.

Do you, our esteemed patrons, ever feel the same?
How do you feel this relates to their games?

Tags
fel is life magic lol, only a setback, shitty writing