Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old Yesterday, 04:05 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Er... is there really that much of a difference?
Not that much from a narrative standpoint (although in general, their anti-Arcane stances established in the manual of Reign of Chaos went largerly unitilized when dealing with the humans and more importantly the blood elves), but there were some subtle changes to their background lore. Notably, the Reign of Chaos era Kaldorei were explicitly said in absolute terms to be all druids (all the men) or warriors (all the women), leaving no room for civilian populations and villages seen in The Frozen Throne, a thing that ultimately brought the night elves a step closer to the archetypal Alliance races from their original inception.
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Eh, I can see them prioritizing different things in a foreign environment where they're hunting Illidan surrounded by undead.

The civilian thing... eh... it's such a small part of the campaign, and I can't imagine they didn't have SOME sort of civilian population. I mean they could all be warrior fisherwomen who need the boats.

I sort of wish at some point they had gone more into how the upbringing and rearing of night elven children went. Since they're immortal they'd probably have to have strict population controls, and no one ever mentions "parents" so I always assumed Night Elven children were raised by the community.
Old Today, 02:20 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Not that much from a narrative standpoint (although in general, their anti-Arcane stances established in the manual of Reign of Chaos went largerly unitilized when dealing with the humans and more importantly the blood elves), but there were some subtle changes to their background lore. Notably, the Reign of Chaos era Kaldorei were explicitly said in absolute terms to be all druids (all the men) or warriors (all the women), leaving no room for civilian populations and villages seen in The Frozen Throne, a thing that ultimately brought the night elves a step closer to the archetypal Alliance races from their original inception.
I don't mean to challenge you. It is not unlikely that I simply forgot or didn't pay enough attention, but I can't recall it being explicitly stated that there were no night elf civilians in RoC. Would it be possible for you to state your source?
Old Today, 03:29 AM

Eternal

The Art of Warcraft's lore section was very absolute in its wording that the men are the druids and the women are the warriors, leaving little space for anything else. Of course, like Aldrius alluded to, one could argue that warriors could be civilians, but that sort of logic is not really appliable for pre-modern warrior cultures which did not operate on the civilian-professional divide, but simply combatants (warrriors) vs. non-combatants.

Essentially, when I say that the night elves in Reign of Chaos had no civilian population, I mean they had no non-combatant population, as opposed to their later depictions and as opposed to the archetypal Alliance races (you could see plenty non-combatants for the humans and the high elves in Reign of Chaos).

On a slightly unrelated note, it was also the Art of Warcraft that explained Archimonde's ultimate goals during the Third War (and disloyalty towards Sargeras' own designs), only alluded to in the manual, something no longer even possible to be canon sadly.

There was also this nice artwork I do not remember seeing much elsewhere.

Old Today, 03:45 AM

Chimaera

You have a copy of Art of Warcraft? Any other neat tidbits that could be reframe debate? Are Demon Hunters listed as an exception to the "men turn into bears women shoot arrows" rule?
Old Today, 05:01 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Thank you very much, Marthen. I do not have access to the book, so it is no wonder I was not aware.