Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you choose a race to play mostly based on the appearance or the lore?
Appearance. 10 19.61%
Lore. 30 58.82%
Depends. (Please elaborate.) 9 17.65%
Other reasons. (Please elaborate.) 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2017, 05:19 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Given that Blizzard are adding new Ethereal models in 7.3, I think that that's one race we shouldn't expect to see in the near future. To me, it would be wasteful to create new NPC models for a race that'll get PC models in the near future.

What do you think?
Also, I always thought the Protectorate were a really interesting faction, and demonstrated that divisions and potential plot hooks already existed from within the Ethereals. I'm almost 100% on board with playable Ethereals, with some minor hangups like "What's their architecture/visual style like?", and "How am I supposed to customize my Ethereal's appearance?".
Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
"What's their architecture/visual style like?", and "How am I supposed to customize my Ethereal's appearance?".
*Gestures furiously at Torchlights Ezrohir and Zeraphi races*

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

With the broken getting new models that make them more similar to the Draenei, I'm beginning to think that we might be getting subraces in the near future. Broken were always touted as one of the first ideas anyone has when it comes to subraces, but I always found it weird that the draenei subrace would get a whole separate, new model while most other races would get new skins. With the broken basically being headswaps of draenei, I could see that working in their favor now.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:33 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

In terms of the model argument...

Against: There's very little in terms of customization that can occur. Unlike other humanoid races, the stand-out point that makes an Ethereal is the bandages, and they'll be covered by armor. Even if it's just a head visible, it's floating energy that's virtually impossible to see differences in when comparing one to another. Otherwise, they just look like freaky floating humans.

For: If you want to keep the same feel of a race literally stripped of matter and living on the edge of even life itself, you can without keeping the same model intact, but you get into "sub-race" concepts here. What if a group of Ethereals survived K'aresh's fall, but were able to learn how to manipulate their energy form without as much protection (aka without reliance on bandage coverings)? Maybe even become just a little corporeal. Let's call this sub-species the Mhad'iya (hint look up Ethereal in Arabic).

Here is where you can have a little fun, because you can look into what species evolving in an arid environment tend adapt to. The primary traits are that species tend to have heat-dispersing parts (e.g. desert mammals and large ears), live nocturnally (e.g. organs designed around low/no light), and coloration that acts to protect those senses. So, let's pretend we're recreating the original Ethereal species, then go through the motions of the bombardment, and finally how those adaptations might translate to the post-Ethereal form.

Our baseline for current Ethereal sans wrappings is unfortunately a very low-poly model:
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=22244/unb...delviewer:10+0
https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/wow...823151335c5d59

Looking at their overall body type, large spines, long digits, heavy torso, one can imagine something like a heavy predator, but that misses a few key details. Their torso is much more pronounced than their abdomen, meaning that they aren't built around a heavy skeleton. Spines and bone structures can also be light platforms for other organ and muscle groups. And finally, we know that they were used to humanoid lower legs, and lighter ones at that, so it's unlikely they're anything similar to what we'd expect from a Terran analogue.

My fun guess, those spikes aren't dense bone, but rather were a platform for a muscle and skin/scale group (possibly even feathered), a loose hood that could be folded or expanded to act as shelter against heat or wind. It also acted as a heat sink, letting excess heat bleed off or be absorbed depending on how it was deployed. My bet is that it'd probably be more like a scaffold around banded tendons/feathers as opposed to a cobra hood (otherwise it'd be too encumbering). The eyes would have been more recessed with darker melanin around it (acting to reduce glare). The jaw, while appearing prognastic, was probably attached more firmly to the head/neck with a more thorough muscle group. The nose would've been more pronounced as well, with a smaller covering system to, again, protect from sand and particulate.

We've seen how they walk, run, and fight, so the next part is really going through the process of what partially reformed Ethereals might look like. If the above random fanwank were actually true, we'd see a sort of arcane shell of a hood, but with arcane dreads streaming off of it. Variants of the hood and dreads would act as hair. The face would be warped by how thick/thin the jaw musculature seemed, how pronounced the nasal coverings appeared, and the shape/depth of the eye sockets. Even when armored, at least the outer hood/dreads would appear, marking them out from just another human or undead.

But that's my quick take on one variant.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:09 PM

World Builder

Stick masks on them like the Torchlight folks did with the Zeraphi and you've got customization out the wazoo, same if you just have eye and mouth 'holes' in the bandages with glowing energy that approximates eyes there, bonus points if there can be more than two eyes, or less than two! Or eyes but no mouth!

Anyone saying there's no customization available for Ethereals ought to be flogged with a chain of sausages for lack of imagination!

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Stick masks on them like the Torchlight folks did with the Zeraphi and you've got customization out the wazoo, same if you just have eye and mouth 'holes' in the bandages with glowing energy that approximates eyes there, bonus points if there can be more than two eyes, or less than two! Or eyes but no mouth!

Anyone saying there's no customization available for Ethereals ought to be flogged with a chain of sausages for lack of imagination!
Eh, masks kill immersion when you have no way to show finer emotional details. It's fine for a top-down, but a face-forward RPG needs movement and distortion.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Eh, masks kill immersion when you have no way to show finer emotional details. It's fine for a top-down, but a face-forward RPG needs movement and distortion.
Oh please, like we haven't handwaved worse than 'it's a magic expressive mask' in this setting.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Oh please, like we haven't handwaved worse than 'it's a magic expressive mask' in this setting.
I'm not talking about this in terms of lore, I'm talking about horrifyingly awkward modeling.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I'm not talking about this in terms of lore, I'm talking about horrifyingly awkward modeling.
Understandable, but a fair price to pay.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
With the broken getting new models that make them more similar to the Draenei, I'm beginning to think that we might be getting subraces in the near future. Broken were always touted as one of the first ideas anyone has when it comes to subraces, but I always found it weird that the draenei subrace would get a whole separate, new model while most other races would get new skins. With the broken basically being headswaps of draenei, I could see that working in their favor now.
Berserker trolls would be a fine counterpart for broken. Make up some story on how the Darkspear trolls have found how to do those transformations again and there we go. Remember how in W3, headhunters turned bigger once they were upgraded to berserkers, and looked like forest trolls. I'm still a bit mad this thing was ignored in WoW, it was so perfect to explain the physical differences between trolls. If you don't like that idea, well, use dark trolls instead, and make them more beast-like (and give them running mount like worgen too).

Darkfallen could be an interesting addition too. Vampire blood elves. They can keep the wings too, and maybe get a mount form like worgen as well. They're cheesy as hell, but you know they would sell like candy, specially with the popularity of blood elves. Not sure what could be the Alliance counterpart to them, something naga-like? Uncorrupted arakkoa? If arakkoa, both races could be introduced with racial flying, leaving them in equal terms.

High elves for the Alliance (based on the blood elves) and Nightborne for the Horde (based on night elves) could work too, but wouldn't feel really new. other things like additional skins (like Dark Iron, Frostborn, and Wildhammer for dwarves) are easier and I'm surprised haven't been done yet.

Subraces could be sold as DLC, since they aren't expansion-selling material. I don't see ogres happening as expansion material, not with a total transformation, but I could see them as DLC with vrykul.

Quote:

You don't really need a face or a mask to show emotions.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 06-30-2017 at 06:06 AM..
Old 06-30-2017, 05:53 AM

Eternal

Quote:

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:56 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Obviously, the Ethereals use magical enoticons, like that guy in Watch Dogs.

There's no need for masks when you can use magic.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Obviously, the Ethereals use magical enoticons, like that guy in Watch Dogs.
Don't give them ideas.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 08-11-2017, 03:42 AM

Archer

Regarding Ogres, could a way to make them slightly more interesting be do something's inspired by Romano-Celts from South-West England and Wales in the early medieval period? They see themselves as the heirs rob the Gloriana, but really they're a bunch of tribespeople. You have an element trying to make the most more refined, by the also those happy to by raiders and things. Perhaps even fuse this with the Renaissance idea.

Idk I just want actual Celtic shit in WoW with Stonehenge and mounds and shit.

Last edited by Gnivil; 08-11-2017 at 03:56 AM..

Tags
races, warcraft