Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default Of Worlds and Souls, a Thread of Titans and the Cosmos

I’ve been thinking about this for some time. I want to speculate on the nature of the World that would eventually become each Titan, and how they came to Order. Bonus round is what Azeroth will be like when she wakes up.

Aman’Thul: I’m imagining a windswept Desert world. It may have only come to order after all else on it had died, Aman’Thul arising through shear patience.

Eonar: a verdant forest world. Basically the Emerald Dream in the Material Plane. She came to order through having a perfectly tuned and balanced eco-system.

Norgannon: an Ice World, but with people who loved knowledge and magic. Perhaps his inhabitants ascended to a higher plane of pure knowledge and helped him awaken on this one.

Khaz’goroth: a rocky, possibly volcanic world that was brought to order when the people perfected their craftsmanship. Maybe.

Golganeth: a water world, prone to Storms. Originally Golganeth was to be the son of Eonar and Aman’Thul. Perhaps they worked together to calm his storms.

Aggramar: Honestly I have no idea.

Sargeras: again, I have no idea.

Argus: we kinda already know

Azeroth: The world is defined by conflict, from the Elemental Wars to the Battle for Azeroth. She’s been through 2 Sunderings and has been stabbed by Sargeras. She’s probably got serious scars. I imagine her being a powerful War Goddess.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:35 PM

Loremaster

I dunno...given Draenor and Azeroth, I'd like to think such worlds would similarly be widely varied in their environments rather than fitting into the "entire planet of just one ecosystem" trope.

Especially when one considers that the titans are essentially the ultimate avatars of Order in the universe and it frequently comes across to me like complex ecosystems rife with myriad forms of complex life represent one of the ultimate expressions of Order at work. They also seem to go out of their way to cultivate life on Azeroth's surface, as if perhaps doing so is necessary to ensuring the world-soul's continued growth and eventual emergence.

Based on Chronicle , Azeroth's soul taking in so much Spirit and stalling the growth of non-elemental life on its surface was a unique situation, or at least a very rare one. Had the Old Gods never arrived to spew aqir and n'raqi all over and engage in their wars for dominance or had the titans never arrived to Order things, that circumstance arguably could have even led to Azeroth's world-soul never reaching maturity for lack of anything mortal systematically being born, living, then dying to produce more Spirit (and since the elementals seemingly didn't stay dead back in those days, their conflicted existence quite possibly wouldn't have provided that necessary "ingredient.") Perhaps it would have even died off if it had continued hogging all of the Spirit without varied and balanced ecosystems of life and death on the surface continually generating Spirit to replace what was being taken.

Additionally at this point the only titan whose world seems to have reached maturity on its own is Aman'thul's. Though one never knows if perhaps some other, non-titan agency saw the potential in that first world-soul and did something to spur its awakening instead, be it an external force or the inhabitants of his planet advancing to the point of inadvertently or deliberately instigating his emergence. However it happened, after him each subsequent titan in the Pantheon was Ordered and awakened through the efforts of Aman'thul and his slowly growing posse of fellow titans rather than a happenstance of the direction life took on their surfaces.

And again considering their emphasis on using Order to especially proliferate life on worlds, it would seem that things like balanced ecosystems and the evolution of complex life (perhaps specifically to the point of intelligence, given Intellect's association with the arcane) on planets may play a vital role in allowing the world-souls within to reach maturity and awaken, rather than such qualities being limited to the thematic "type" of the titan inside.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

I envision the world of Aggramar to be akin to Stormheim, Howling Fjord and Storm Peaks. A world of Warriors and valor. Basically planet Valajar.

Sargeras, I'd assume the same.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:58 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I dunno...given Draenor and Azeroth, I'd like to think such worlds would similarly be widely varied in their environments rather than fitting into the "entire planet of just one ecosystem" trope.

Especially when one considers that the titans are essentially the ultimate avatars of Order in the universe and it frequently comes across to me like complex ecosystems rife with myriad forms of complex life represent one of the ultimate expressions of Order at work. They also seem to go out of their way to cultivate life on Azeroth's surface, as if perhaps doing so is necessary to ensuring the world-soul's continued growth and eventual emergence.

Based on Chronicle , Azeroth's soul taking in so much Spirit and stalling the growth of non-elemental life on its surface was a unique situation, or at least a very rare one. Had the Old Gods never arrived to spew aqir and n'raqi all over and engage in their wars for dominance or had the titans never arrived to Order things, that circumstance arguably could have even led to Azeroth's world-soul never reaching maturity for lack of anything mortal systematically being born, living, then dying to produce more Spirit (and since the elementals seemingly didn't stay dead back in those days, their conflicted existence quite possibly wouldn't have provided that necessary "ingredient.") Perhaps it would have even died off if it had continued hogging all of the Spirit without varied and balanced ecosystems of life and death on the surface continually generating Spirit to replace what was being taken.

Additionally at this point the only titan whose world seems to have reached maturity on its own is Aman'thul's. Though one never knows if perhaps some other, non-titan agency saw the potential in that first world-soul and did something to spur its awakening instead, be it an external force or the inhabitants of his planet advancing to the point of inadvertently or deliberately instigating his emergence. However it happened, after him each subsequent titan in the Pantheon was Ordered and awakened through the efforts of Aman'thul and his slowly growing posse of fellow titans rather than a happenstance of the direction life took on their surfaces.

And again considering their emphasis on using Order to especially proliferate life on worlds, it would seem that things like balanced ecosystems and the evolution of complex life (perhaps specifically to the point of intelligence, given Intellect's association with the arcane) on planets may play a vital role in allowing the world-souls within to reach maturity and awaken, rather than such qualities being limited to the thematic "type" of the titan inside.
Perhaps, but remember also that Azeroth is so much more powerful (and larger?) than any Titan before her........ And bear in mind that when she first started (and after being brought to order), there was but one Continent. In fact do correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems to me the more desolate places on Azeroth are results of Catastrophism (The Barrens from the Death of Aggamagan, Burning Steppes from Ragnaros, Tanaris and the like from the Mogu vs. the Tol’vir etc.). Azeroth probably had some variety, but most of it came later and not at all naturally.

But you are right, the propagation of life does seem to be a key part to the recipe. Whether that’s something Eonar brought to the table or whether it’s universal is worth considering. Also, Aman’Thul is the only one we can confirm having gone through this process without outside aid. He might have met one or two who also awoke naturally, but it seems the majority of the Pantheon came about with direct intervention from other Titans.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Demon Hunter

Interesting ideas, but as ARM said I think I prefer my planets diverse enough. Maybe your ideas can be translated as general themes for the planets ecosystems.

On a sidenote, has it ever been revealed how a World Soul awakens as a Titan? I mean what happens literally? Is it the planet taking humanoid shape? Or is it the planet somehow materialising another "body" for the World Soul to inhabit when it is ready (as a kind of moon in the planet's vincinity, or I don't know)?

In any case, these "births" must be cataclysmic for any civilisation or even any lifeform on the Titans planet.
In the first case everything on the surface would be ripped appart, without mentioning the gravitional chaos it would become.
In the case of a moon-body appearing and then leaving when the Titan decides to, you would have massive tide shifts on the planet's surface.

I prefer the moon-body theory as it would be possible to explain how entire civilisations are not wiped out when the World Soul becomes a Titan, with magic and other fantasy shenanigans.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:07 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagren View Post
Interesting ideas, but as ARM said I think I prefer my planets diverse enough. Maybe your ideas can be translated as general themes for the planets ecosystems.

On a sidenote, has it ever been revealed how a World Soul awakens as a Titan? I mean what happens literally? Is it the planet taking humanoid shape? Or is it the planet somehow materialising another "body" for the World Soul to inhabit when it is ready (as a kind of moon in the planet's vincinity, or I don't know)?

In any case, these "births" must be cataclysmic for any civilisation or even any lifeform on the Titans planet.
In the first case everything on the surface would be ripped appart, without mentioning the gravitional chaos it would become.
In the case of a moon-body appearing and then leaving when the Titan decides to, you would have massive tide shifts on the planet's surface.

I prefer the moon-body theory as it would be possible to explain how entire civilisations are not wiped out when the World Soul becomes a Titan, with magic and other fantasy shenanigans.
Well, for what it’s worth, after we kill Argus the Titan at the Seat of the Pantheon we can still see the planet in the background. Granted that was already a messed up tortured planet and a weak excuse for a Titan, especially compared to Sargeras.

Tags
lore, speculation