Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Cool Trolls Are Pretty Much the Greatest: A Primal Primer

In recognition of my achieving Elune-dom, I find myself reflecting on the inherent bias these forums have in favour of the Night Elves, and the importance of the causes I have championed here. Which leads me to the creation of this most important and most most sacred of threads.

For the longest time, I find myself having to constantly remind people that the Trolls of the Warcraft setting are, in fact, pretty cool rather than, as many incorrectly believe, totally lame. As such, I have decided that the lore forums of Scrolls of Lore are the best place to start a campaign to raise awareness of the coolness of Trolls.

A brief history: Trolls have been around for a wicked long time. Sources conclude that the Trolls predate the arrival of the Titans, and the subsequent ordering of Azeroth. This means that Trolls were hanging around back when the Old Gods and their Elemental Lord buddies were running the joint, and survived. That is, without a doubt, pretty sweet.

Though the Titans successfully locked away the Old Gods, they forgot to deal with their nigh infinite legions of bug minions. This was, as experts conclude, bogus. Rather than let that get them down however, the Trolls decided to squash the endoskeletally-impaired jerks, and this without the help of the planet's guardians or dragons, who were presumably too busy being weak. The defeat of the Aqir led to a period of relative peace on Azeroth.

This peace, however, was tragically cut short by the Night Elves, a group of former Dark Trolls who, through magical and/or divine intervention, decided to lay waste to their erstwhile kinsmen, using unimaginable magics to bring ruin to the Trolls, eventually causing the destruction of most of the planet. Not cool, Night Elves, not cool at all.

In the aftermath of this destruction, some sad excuse for Trolls decided it'd be a great idea to summon a god of blood and sacrifice into the world. Etymologists would later determine that yeah, bringing forth a dude who goes by the nickname of "the Soulflayer", should have had predictably bad results, and the results were, predictably, awful.

Despite all this destruction, the Gurubashi were still considered enough of a threat to bring Neptulon out of retirement/titanic banishment to wreck their day by blowing up a large chunk of the land we call Stranglethorn. Though he was so scared that he sent his henchmen, an innumerable swarm of gargantuan kraken the likes of which the world has never seen, to do it for him. Min'loth did beat them good, but was cut gown by the kraken's cowardly sucker punch.

What followed was a series of attacks on Trolls around the world, with Elves, Dwarves and Humans ganging up to kick the Trolls while they were down, knowing they'd not stand a chance if they allowed them to get up. The Amani, despite this decidedly unsportsmanlike conduct, were gracious enough to give their enemies the magics needed to defeat them, in order to give their enemies a fighting chance.

Following the Orcs' arrival, various Trolls have tried their hand at the whole "world superpower" gig, each time scaring the daylights out of the rest of the world, which simply isn't cool enough to withstand such forces without the help of other Trolls.

Trolls today: Many will tell you that the Trolls are a weak people, or point at their homes and laugh at the ruins they call home. What they do not say, and what they are too ashamed to admit, is that they are afraid of Trolls. Indeed, those ruins and people have stood for tens of thousands of years of war, natural and magical disasters, and the various calamities that have befallen Trolls. Not even the Dwarves' feats of engineering measure to the sheer scale and size of Zul'Drak's mighty waterworks.

Even now, though people may mock Trolls and make light of their accomplishments, they inevitably flock to safety and plea for the help of other Trolls to save and protect them.

Death itself, though the other races of Azeroth may dread its arrival, is no threat to the Trolls, who've mastered the art of resurrection, not the poor imitations of Arcane and necromancy, through science and magic alike. It is further indicated that even those Trolls who do die are privy to an afterlife wherein their greatest achieve even greater power.

It is little wonder that Trolls of every part of the planet fear naught and can, without boasting, claim to never die.

Trolls are, indeed, pretty great.

Last edited by Nazja; 04-22-2017 at 07:58 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

If it weren't for trolls, we'd all be speaking Bug-language right now.

The trolls built epic cities before anyone else, and didn't need magic to do it.

No matter how many loot-crazed adventurers come their way, the trolls still survive.

Best race in WoW.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 03-31-2014, 07:13 PM

Elune

Well trolls do eventually evolve into this.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 PM

Elune

Trolls are pretty cool. Those ancient troll heroes, especially ones like Min'loth, always felt to me like Warcraft's equivalent of Homeric epics. The troll heroes of antiquity, who accomplished great feats in days when elves didn't even exist and magic was mostly unknown.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Human Icon (War3)

Trolls also gave us the Trollbane family so they got that going for them.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Totally true, man. TOTALLY TRUE. Thank you for bringing these unwashed heathens into the glaring light of a new day.

(Link related because that's kinda what I do)
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 PM

Elune

Darn! How do I seperate Kelluck and Levithon now?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Darn! How do I seperate Kelluck and Levithon now?
Their names?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Their names?
I would also have accepted the answer: "Kellick's roguish good looks"
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Thank you! This Kollick guy was starting to be really threatening.
Cholicks is just a deranged madman. Don't let his words get to you.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Only 5000 posts Kellick?
Well, not everyone can have next to ten million posts, if I'm reading that right.

Anyhow, yes. Trolls are pretty fucking awesome when they're used to best effect. I'm currently hoping for the day when the Darkspear build something real with their Trollness.

Honestly, I'm hoping that various Loa end up trying to exploit Vol'jin's position as Warchief for their own ends. Offering various favors that they expect to be repaid at a later date.

And these aren't just simple favors that are easy to turn down... I'm thinking more about big favors, favors which promise great things for the Horde. Things the Horde needs. Promises to heal Durotar of all the damage Garrosh has done to it and more, and help feed the Horde and give it the strength to hold its own against their enemies. Maybe other promises to. All this for a simple favor to be called upon in the future, and a little tribute in the meanwhile...

Would be cool if Hakkar got in on this sort of thing after the Gurubashi betrayed him and the Zandalari willingly participated in his enslavement. He probably has things he can promise the Horde if they would care to listen.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Grunt

Trolls are zul. The Zandalari were right.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 PM

Elune

Trolls aren't that great in my opinion.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM

Elune

Genuinely considering making my Troll Shadow Priest my Horde-side main in WoD.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Trolls aren't that great in my opinion.
Until they evolve into blood elves. Then they are the best they can ever be.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Arch-Druid

Eh, trolls are alright, I guess. But only the ones that practice voodoo and worship loa, not the ones disguised as other races being complete idiots on the internet.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Much as I can appreciate the sub discussion on the merits of going avatar-less, I did post this in the Lore subforum in the hopes of generating discussion on the Trolls's history and their situation as it is now, as well at what good might be made to come from those.

Quote:
I am pretty ashamed.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM

Elune

Dark trolls. Think we'll ever see 'em?

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Much as I can appreciate the sub discussion on the merits of going avatar-less, I did post this in the Lore subforum in the hopes of generating discussion on the Trolls's history and their situation as it is now, as well at what good might be made to come from those.
I'd like to see the Darkspear start trying to modernize. Skyscraper temples and the like. They built the first empires, and once they get their act together they'll do it better than anyone else.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

I don't think that it's likely that Blizzard plans for the extinction of trolls, so it's really just a matter of what an Alliance/Horde world means for trollish kind. Overall, it seems that Blizzard is pushing races into singular national units. Disparate humans are largely uniting under Stormwind's banner. Most of the orc clans have been united in the nation of Orgrimmar. Night elf society is getting reshuffled and conglomerated. Is this the future of the trolls too? Should we expect the trolls to unite? Although they have united under the Zandalari, it seems as if the loa suggest they are not "true trolls," or at least have stopped behaving as such, though somehow the "Darkspear" are "true trolls." Does this, therefore, mean that trolls should become united under the Horde? Is the future of all races merely a choice of this (ridiculous) dichotomy between Alliance and Horde?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

You want Troll discussion? I'll give you Troll discussion.

I think the Troll aqueducts pale in comparison to what the Dwarves have made.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
Nope, they're dark trolls. Makes 'em really hard to see.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
We see them every day. In fact, you can go to their capital city right now in the game! It's called Darnassus.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 AM

Hon hon hon

You don't fool me with your April jokes.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
We see them every day. In fact, you can go to their capital city right now in the game! It's called Darnassus.
Hush you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Tags
'cho wanna buy a cigar, all land is troll land, chuwanaxe, here comes trollbane, lore, new troll here, tazdingo!, troll land, we gonna bury you here