Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 05:55 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default What if Jaina chose differently?

These days, Jaina has a lot of regrets. She made a choice back in TFT to prioritize peace with the Horde over her father life, and thanks to Garrosh she deeply regrets it.

But, what if she chose differently? What if she had stood with her father instead of turning her back on him?

First of all, I doubt it would have changed the outcome of the battle. Thrall and Rexxar had the full might of the Horde plus a clan of ogres assembled. It would have been bloodier, but Theramore would have fallen. I’d say for narrative purposes Rexxar dies and is memorialized as a fallen hero. The best outcome for Jaina in this circumstance was that she might have been able to teleport herself and Daelin out of there, perhaps then go rally the Alliance and the War is on! Thrall would then believe that peace with the Alliance was impossible due to Jaina’s betrayal.

Moving forward this would color WoW and each expansion moving forward. I certainly couldn’t predict all outcomes, but here’s what I’ve got so far:
-The joint offense in Tanaris would never have happened.
-Both sides moving through the Dark Portal of BC would be out of the question. -Neither side would have made it to the Wrath Gate as the passive cooperation they shared up until that point would have never happened. In fact, while I doubt Thrall would have liked it, Sylvanas using the plague on Alliance and Scourge alike probably wouldn’t have caused half as much trouble.
- Assuming Thrall still went off to focus on his Shamanism for the Cataclysm, Baine would not have been able to come to Jaina for help dealing with the Grimtotems. On the other hand, if the Horde and Alliance were at War, Garrosh would probably ruffle much fewer feathers and Cairne might be alive.
-If Vol’jin was still going to rebel, he wouldn’t have had any Alliance cooperation as he wouldn’t trust them.
-I’m not sure Warlords of Draenor would even happen.
- The Broken Shore would still happen, but without cooperation, the outcome would probably be the same, just with higher casualties.

So that’s my take on the situation. I have 2 questions for you:
1. What do you think would have happened?
2. Do you think Jaina going back in time to change her choice might make a decent premise for an expansion?
Old 06-03-2018, 03:30 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

If Jaina would have stood with her father, it would have ended with her convincing Thrall sparring Daelin and his men's lives through some sort of knockout/incapacitating him. Really, no way for the Jaina of then to stop her father's demise, as Daelin was verymuch set in his ways.

Swap Jaina now and Jaina then, it would have either ended with - Jaina and Daelin both being felled by the Horde and Theramore being destroyed to cease any more Alliance threats to the Horde from the south, with potentially the Night Elves being the Alliance presence on Kalimdor. Or, Thrall, Rexxar and the Horde army being destroyed and Durotar along with it, snuffing out the newly reformed Horde.

Also, Jaina going back in time "right her wrongs" would make for an interesting what if. Not so much an expansion, given WoD's legacy.

Last edited by Melorandor; 06-03-2018 at 03:35 AM..
Old 06-04-2018, 05:31 PM

Echo of the Past

Jaina and Daelin couldn't have stopped Thrall if they had tried. Rexxar's juggernaut fleet was too powerful. The orcish seadogs had generations of ironclad warfare bred into their blood, to the extent that a few cannonades was all it took to reduce Admiral Proudmoore's sail-powered, primitive merchant fleet into so many toothpicks and matchsticks.

Rexxar would've surrounded and blockaded the two Proudmoores, who would have little recourse except to wail and scream, "Why, why did we imagine our puny human boats of wood and fabric could fare against the indomitable floating fortresses of the Horde waveriders?" But they would barely be able to hear themselves over the relentless shelling.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 06-04-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Old 08-02-2018, 08:48 PM

Banished

I wish I saw this information sooner
Old 08-03-2018, 12:19 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Having reviewed that final battle, I must correct my earlier assertion that Theramore would still have fallen. Rexxar literally states that he doesn’t think they can make it past the Kul Tiran blockade, and then Jaina shows up and tells them about a Goblin shipyard where they can get the ships they need.

So if Thrall were to try and breach that blockade head on it probably wouldn’t have gone so well for him. On the other hand, if they held back and made it a point not to engage the Kul’Tiran navy at sea, it would probably have been a stalemate.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:22 AM

Eternal

Or he would have found it himself eventually seeing as he's a far seer, or used stuff made by his own employed goblins even if it would have taken longer to get it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Old 08-05-2018, 10:03 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Or he would have found it himself eventually seeing as he's a far seer, or used stuff made by his own employed goblins even if it would have taken longer to get it there.
It’s a fair point. Plus Thrall has plenty of Goblin contacts. Thrall May have knew of it when Rexxar didn’t?