Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
You can say that again. I cannot for the life of me think of why they'd do this so suddenly.

Maybe they're taking a page from AOE2 and planning on releasing another expansion way down the tracK?
Can they even do another one on a game this old? I'm honestly shocked the things still run at all.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Can they even do another one on a game this old? I'm honestly shocked the things still run at all.
Well, again AOE2.

There's no debating it would take an absolute shit tonne of work though....but they seem well on the way on that front as is.

Very puzzling indeed!
Old 03-18-2016, 06:06 AM

Chimaera

It makes sense to make it playable on modern OS, to maintain the existing player base and create good will, and possibly exploit that player base for cross promotion between Blizzard games in the future. It's good for marketing and pr. There really is no reason not to do it outside of money, and I am pretty sure Blizzard is swimming in it, and I doubt the team working on Warcraft 3 cost them much.

Also, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that there might also be some people that actually still care about Warcraft 3 and its community at Blizzard.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:46 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Well, again AOE2.

There's no debating it would take an absolute shit tonne of work though....but they seem well on the way on that front as is.

Very puzzling indeed!
SC2 is free, I dunno why they don't just add fixes for terrain and such to that.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-18-2016, 08:31 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morvant View Post
It makes sense to make it playable on modern OS, to maintain the existing player base and create good will, and possibly exploit that player base for cross promotion between Blizzard games in the future. It's good for marketing and pr. There really is no reason not to do it outside of money, and I am pretty sure Blizzard is swimming in it, and I doubt the team working on Warcraft 3 cost them much.
Well their reason is SC2, having more than 1 RTS under their banner in support runs the risk of having both.

As for the reasoning, you're right that cash is definitely not a problem but I think you are forgetting the dev time itself. They're always claiming they need more people and are stretched thin, why make it even harder on themselves just for the sake of some good PR and no financial reward?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

You guys are loads more civil than the gibbering masses at THW... Refreshing. I need to stop forgetting to come here. : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
Check me out at Wc3C; I'm a lot more active. (Well, mentally at least. THW is another good place)

Also check out my two projects:
- ~Custom Race Project~
- ~Neutral Hero Additions~
Old 03-18-2016, 12:11 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Well their reason is SC2, having more than 1 RTS under their banner in support runs the risk of having both.

As for the reasoning, you're right that cash is definitely not a problem but I think you are forgetting the dev time itself. They're always claiming they need more people and are stretched thin, why make it even harder on themselves just for the sake of some good PR and no financial reward?
I would think of it this way. There are probably certain *skills* they are stretched thin on. I would guess things like art are a big one. What they probably aren't stretched thin on are these more minor "bug fix" type people. I mean, technically anyone who can program can go in and likely figure this kind of thing out (depending on what it is, mind you, but the changes needed for these older games are probably much more minor than implementing a whole new system or mode or what have you).

So I look at it as:
-Between projects, this is a way to give staff something to do before maybe another project is at a state where their skills are needed. Basically, like busywork to keep them employed without having them sitting on their hands with nothing to do.
-This is also a good way to build up a team for the long-term viability for all their projects, even stuff like StarCraft 2 or HotS or Overwatch that are already current. You have this division ready so when, let's say Windows 11 hits, you already have a team with experience upgrading Blizzard engines to a new OS and the process goes much smoother.

So I mean, there are certainly benefits for having this team around, even beyond the "good will" they garner for keeping their old titles working on modern systems. And I think the good will is important too, since it's a strong part of their brand. People will buy Blizzard games sight-unseen because they are synonymous with quality. So it's important to keep that appearance even with older titles.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:17 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraznak View Post
Daily reminder that Blizzard killed W3 with the patch before this one, by making many of the old maps not work anymore. Just when SC2 was about to release .

So fuck you. Never forgiving them for killing the most awesome modding community ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
They have to use the graphics engine of SC2 and the heros of HOST

kaelthas and jaina look so good
They can't use SC2, for many reasons, to highlight:

* SC2 has only 4 cliff levels, and one of them can't be used, only flown over with airships. W3 had 11-14, I don't remember well. Also cliffs in W3 gave stat buffs to units, something not happening in SC2, which would need to be programmed from scratch.
* SC2 engine can't handle the high amount of trees that W3 does. It's built around lesser amounts of resource nodes. SC2 conversions of W3 have a lot of problems because of this.

They would need to modify SC2's engine a lot. Wish they would do it, but I don't know, I see it working as another game, just like they did with HotS.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 03-18-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Old 03-18-2016, 12:20 PM

Elune

Quote:

They say that about WoW . Idk if they same the same for SC and D3. But the 2 lesser games (HS and HotS) dont seem to have that problem
Old 03-18-2016, 12:27 PM

Priestess of the Moon

They also created a team for classic games and there have vacancies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, CLASSIC GAMES
Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We?re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

RESPONSIBILITIES
  • Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
  • Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
  • Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
  • Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
  • Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART OUTSOURCE SUPERVISOR
Classic games is seeking a skilled artist to help revitalize StarCraft, Warcraft III, Diablo II, and our catalogue of other classics.

This is an art generalist position requiring hands on direction, management, and engine integration of a wide range of assets including characters, weapons, and environment props.

If your art background and leadership skills allow you to direct and collaborate with external art vendors, while coordinating with team leads to track assets and identify art needs: we?d love to hear from you.

RESPONSIBILITIES
  • Manage communications and provide feedback to artists, and help maintain a strong creative relationship between external and internal art teams.
  • Generate detailed documentation, video reference, and examples of art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external vendors.
  • Own the quality control over all incoming art assets, providing detailed feedback and approvals to the vendor in order to deliver quality assets to the development team.
  • Implement approved assets into the game engine, along with making any needed fixes to keep assets consistent and game ready.
  • Personally create high quality character models, weapons, and environment assets for a variety of different projects and art styles.
  • Work closely with the art director, art leads, production team, and outsource manager to determine outsourcing needs, pipelines, budgets, and costs for art assets.
  • Coordinate with the outsource manager to schedule and track incoming assets.
  • Identify and research possible vendors.
  • Travel may be necessary to help train and coach approved vendors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, SERVER

RESPONSIBILITIES
  • Implement server infrastructure changes to support new gameplay features.
  • Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
  • Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
  • Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
  • Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:30 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
I don't think that Warcraft 3 would ever step on SC2 toes. Maybe if it was brand new, there would be some risk of saturation, but even then I think that it being a Blizzard game, and a pretty different STR from SC2 both mechanically and thematically would compensate ( blizzard players being what they are, I am betting they would buy both ). But then it's not brand new, it's 13 years old, I don't think that risk exist.

Quote:
On the stretched thin bit, Warlock explained it waaay better than I could have.

Also, good PR is priceless . And financial rewards are not always direct. If the next step is indeed to bring Warcraft 3 to the battle.net launcher, and if they manage to bring part of those Chinese players to install it, then to pay attention to their other games ( say, hearthstone for example ), it could be a pretty good return for a low investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
You guys are loads more civil than the gibbering masses at THW... Refreshing. I need to stop forgetting to come here. : )
You ! You are the guy with the signature that sent me into those two time consuming black holes of awesome modding that are wc3c and THW the other month.

How is that jungle dinosaur/troll army looking ?
Old 03-18-2016, 01:57 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morvant View Post
Also, good PR is priceless . And financial rewards are not always direct. If the next step is indeed to bring Warcraft 3 to the battle.net launcher, and if they manage to bring part of those Chinese players to install it, then to pay attention to their other games ( say, hearthstone for example ), it could be a pretty good return for a low investment.
Yeah absolutely. I was honestly surprised they haven't done it yet, but maybe it's a less important improvement over "the game doesn't work on these systems" I assume their goal is ultimately going to be to get at least WarCraft 3 on there, probably also Diablo 2 and StarCraft 1. Hell, I would love to even see them reach back and update WarCraft 2: BNE and Diablo 1 but that's probably wishful thinking
Old 03-18-2016, 10:23 PM

Arch-Druid

Allright, you guys make a compelling argument. One thing remains unknown though: Is this building to something?

You've sold me on the idea it could be for PR alone, fair enough, but if it is to try to reignite interest in the products then what is the end game?

I mean, (wish-listing to the extreme here, i know) how cool would it be if they updated the game and sold a campaign or two set between Wow expansions or chronicling a few of the unfleshed out areas of lore? We could finally have a venue to explore the Night Elves reasons for joining the Alliance or where it all went wrong for Kaelthas?
It's definitely too late for Legion but maybe the next one lines up? Would be a good justification for the manhours to overhaul SC2's engine. We can even go further and consider if Nova's standalone missions are just testing the water here?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:42 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I'm skeptical about this. On one hand I'd love to play Warcraft 3 single player again all modernized with updated assets and models, hell given how much the cannon from that game has been butchered and altered it would be like an entirely new game if they tried to update it. On the other I just don't see it happening and they are likely going to make people rebuy it... but I'd like to be proven wrong.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:19 PM

Hippogryph Rider

So, a little bird whispered to me that they will do little "content patches" for the WC3 and D2.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisaragi View Post
So, a little bird whispered to me that they will do little "content patches" for the WC3 and D2.
Birds can't talk, therefore they can't whisper. You are full of shit.

But it's possible they'd update their old games, if they want to bring them to battle.net
Old 04-05-2016, 10:58 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Birds can't talk, therefore they can't whisper. You are full of shit.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:33 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Birds can't talk
Pffffft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Birds can't talk
Parrots.

Well, not just parrots. Actually, a lot of birds can talk, but parrots are the most famous example.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:02 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

You are taking this way too seriously.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:57 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
You are taking this way too seriously.
I'm pretty sure it's you who are taking things way too seriously. I'm not taking them seriously at all.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:00 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
I'm pretty sure it's you who are taking things way too seriously. I'm not taking them seriously at all.
The seriousness isn't serious at all, seriously.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:32 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The seriousness isn't serious at all, seriously.
Oh, but it's very gravely serious. Lives could be on the line, millions could lose their jobs, and I'd have to explain it all to the President.

Do you really want to risk that?
Old 04-10-2016, 04:37 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Oh, but it's very gravely serious. Lives could be on the line, millions could lose their jobs, and I'd have to explain it all to the President.

Do you really want to risk that?
I'm willing to risk everything, for that exact reason.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 AM

Arch-Druid

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems that an old WC3 custom map called Chenghai3C gets an official release in China with some sort of store for cosmetic skins and wings.

Maybe that updated Illidan model from 2015 was made for stuff like this too, dunno.

Last edited by Kiraser; 10-12-2017 at 01:15 AM..

Tags
warcraft, warcraft 3