Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:17 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Because there are so many other possible races that can be added before Murlocs. Naga, ethereals, ogres, arakkoa, sub-races, whatever. It's been over 5 years since a race was added, and they'd choose a joke race that is ugly, non-cultured (live in simple huts, can't even talk) and is pretty much a joke. Murlocs' entire gimmick is that they are annoying.

I understand that people like odd choices. There's always that guy that would like to play as murlocs, podlings, virmen, kobolds or gorlocs. But these options are even bellow oddities like tuskarr, hozen, furbolg or jinyu, because at they have their own cultures and interact normally with our playable factions.

So, it pisses me off because, while I can choose to not play them, it means they were chosen instead of many other possibilities that are way more interesting.

Like I said above, the only way I'd be okay with it is if murlocs are added together with a plethora of other minor races.
Yea I'd be salty if murlocs were to be playable over the many other options we should have instead. It'd almost feel like a copout in general just to add a 'sea' race that's easier to implement than naga. Prob doesn't help that I still fully believe that the WoD development clusterfuck cost us playable arrakoa and ogres.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 PM

Arch-Druid

I'll be really pissed if they add playable murlocs, especially if there aren't playable Naga as well.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 PM

Demon Hunter

Playable Jinyu and hozen? Good god you poor fucks are desperate. I feel like if they were going to add a new race, we'd have better candidates to talk about.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Indeed.

Playable gnoll mercenaries... now, that's worth talking about!

For too long has Hogger been a faction leader without joining one of the unions. It's time she joins one and starts paying contributions like all other faction leaders!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:06 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Because there are so many other possible races that can be added before Murlocs. Naga, ethereals, ogres, arakkoa, sub-races, whatever. It's been over 5 years since a race was added, and they'd choose a joke race that is ugly, non-cultured (live in simple huts, can't even talk) and is pretty much a joke. Murlocs' entire gimmick is that they are annoying.
This is how I feel about high elves. But I also want furbolg and other beast man races to be added, so glass houses and all that.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:59 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
There’s also Morgl in the shaman order hall.

And Murgulis in Stormheim to justify murloc demon hunters which I 100% support just to stick it to edgelords.
I did forget about Morgl.

I didn't mention Murgulis (nor the Murkidan pet he uses the model of) because it seemed like he might be too silly to consider him a serious argument in the favor of murloc demon hunters. Though, I suppose an actual, serious murloc demon hunter wouldn't be that different from how Murgulis is depicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Additionally their language(s) is/are evidently so alien to anything the player races can grasp that the standard practice of "everyone speaks Common when they really need to" during quests is eschewed in favor of maintaining a hard language barrier of incomprehensible gurgling and vague hand gestures, so the only one we ever talk to coherently is a weird transplanted character from Hearthstone whose whole "thing" is arguably showing how weird it would be for a murloc to speak like everyone else.
Besides Finley, there's also Neptool and the Murloc Sorcerer that killed Sen'jin in WC3, both of which seem to speak perfectly understandable Common. Admittedly, Neptool is a ghost, so he might just be a case of ghost telepathy or something. However, his fellow tribe member Salt-Flop does speak in a form of broken Common, so it's not too weird to imagine the tribe chieftain being able to speak it as well, albeit more fluently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
If we got a new race based on murlocs being exposed to the blood of Azeroth and therefore less... well, murloc, I would accept it.
That's basically what jinyu already are, since they're descended from murlocs that became mutated by the waters in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3
Old 10-13-2017, 02:31 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Besides Finley, there's also Neptool and the Murloc Sorcerer that killed Sen'jin in WC3, both of which seem to speak perfectly understandable Common. Admittedly, Neptool is a ghost, so he might just be a case of ghost telepathy or something. However, his fellow tribe member Salt-Flop does speak in a form of broken Common, so it's not too weird to imagine the tribe chieftain being able to speak it as well, albeit more fluently.
Yeah, the Neptool quests describe him as sort of talking into your mind without moving his lips, while Salt-Flop does manage to speak, though he's described as struggling to do so.

Still, there's a sense being maintained that murlocs in general are either just plain too weird or perhaps even vocally unsuited to spoken communication with the other races, such that the few who can are notable for being exceptions to the rule while the convention of "damned near everything speaks Common for quest dialogue, no questions asked" that encompasses other mob races as a virtual matter of course seems to be deliberately withheld almost all of the time in the case of murlocs.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:32 AM

Arch-Druid

Can't wait for female Murlocs with (humongous) tits.
This is WoW, after all.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 AM

Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
This is how I feel about high elves. But I also want furbolg and other beast man races to be added, so glass houses and all that.
That's why I always said that high elves could only be added if they were changed into something else or as a sub-race (among several others), and the sub-race is the best option, as changing them has the chance of upseting the very players that want them in the first place.

I understand why people do not want them. Otherwise, adding them as they are as a race with equal standing to other races would feel, for most players, as a waste of resources that should have been spend in another option.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
That's why I always said that high elves could only be added if they were changed into something else or as a sub-race (among several others), and the sub-race is the best option, as changing them has the chance of upseting the very players that want them in the first place.

I understand why people do not want them. Otherwise, adding them as they are as a race with equal standing to other races would feel, for most players, as a waste of resources that should have been spend in another option.
High elves were added as playable after being changed into something else; blood elves.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
High elves were added as playable after being changed into something else; blood elves.
Thus proving my point that "changing them has the chance of upseting the very players that want them in the first place."

Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thus proving my point that "changing them has the chance of upseting the very players that want them in the first place."
As well as those who did not want them infesting their Horde.

By the way, gnolls are now the true heirs of the common greenskin, the ork. Not those orruks in their fancy armour. Go paint Hogger's gear red and yellow!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Designer

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/...901/#392791901

Another "leak". Nothing really new, but it talks about other Blizzard games as well.

So what will be announced on Blizzcon?

World of Warcraft's 7th expansion pack will be void themed, will feature new zones on Azeroth, a remake of the world like in Cataclysm, subraces, ship management and refined PvP systems
Overwatch: new map with a unique objective and a new hero (melee support) announcement (that is all I know)
Heroes of the Storm: Firebat and Hanzo hero announcements
Hearthstone: Troll themed expansion announcement

What is Blizzard currently working on? (These things won't be included on Blizzcon 2017)

Druid class for Diablo 3
Diablo themed mobile game.
Overwatch campaigns.
Warcraft 4 (Expect announcement on Blizzcon 2019. Warcraft 3 is not going to receive a remaster)

Recurring themes on most leaks:: ships, sub-races, world revamp, void or Old Gods.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Dryad

I almost fell for it.

Now I fell obliged to say, though, Warcraft IV would only work as an alternate continuity to WoW... Which may be exactly what this franchise needs after all. Meh.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 PM

Warcraft IV... Yeah, I really doubt that.

Releasing Warcraft IV at this point would just undermine one of their most popular games.

Last edited by Nazja; 10-13-2017 at 01:25 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 PM

Demon Hunter

Agreed. Everythings pretty believable until wc4. This only just occurred to me, because Hots is a fake game and I don't play it, but Hots is pretty much accomplishing a good portion of what they'd probably want out of wc4.

Filling the niche for people who liked wc3 custom games but were scrubs and always got kicked out of dota lobbies, thus never understanding nor appreciating the fundamental components of that style of moba, which scared them away from dota's successors until finally a game made to look like a dota successor with wc3 characters comes out, without all the "yucky mechanics" that make you even want to play a game like this in the first place, giving them a place where they can feel safe.

Am I salty? A bit.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:25 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I CAN see WC 4 happening; they tell vitally important story in books all the time, might as well put it into a game.
What i CAN'T see is no WC 3 Remaster. There's so much cashdollars in that they'd be dumb not to. ESPECIALLY if there's gonna be a WC 4.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:28 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The relative failure of SCII proves the RTS market is dead and consumed by MOBAs. Any WCIV game that came out would be as different to WCIII as WoW was to it.

That said I would kill for a bog standard party based warcraft RPG.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
I've personally seen some design information for murlocs as a playable race for multiple expansions, including expansion concepts that were never made. There are always multiple candidates for player races for expansions that get scrapped early on in development, especially if that expac ends up not having playable races at all.
I hope one day Blizzard releases like a "behind the scenes" or just scrapped concepts book or video or something, because details like that sound fascinating.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:12 PM

Dryad

Quote:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/...901/#392791901

Another "leak". Nothing really new, but it talks about other Blizzard games as well.
[...]
So what will be announced on Blizzcon?
[...]
Heroes of the Storm: Firebat and Hanzo hero announcements
Quote:
No Alexstrasza
NotLikeThis.png

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; 10-13-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 02:28 PM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Jaggler#2762

Quote:
Recurring themes on most leaks:: ships, sub-races, world revamp, void or Old Gods.
Not that farfetched:
1. The Kul'Tiras armor with the weird tentacles on it and recent story lines immediatley let people think about ships (because islands and Kul'Tiras as a seafaring nation) and the old gods. There's also the Vindicaar-tech which COULD be used as a way to test travel by ship betwee isles
2. Considering recent events (Belfs-Nightfallen relationship, the return of Alleria) makes combined with the continued wish for sub-races makes a strong case for it finally being reality.
3. Sargars last attack on Azeroth seems to have sparked the world revamp idea in many fake leakers minds.

Not that I would mind any of these things becoming reality.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I'm a little bummed about SC 2 being regarded as a failure. I wasn't a huge fan of the expansions and ending but i enjoyed myself A LOT during every single playthrough. That plus the stupid amounts of cashgrab with Commanders and Coop Heroes and i just don't see how eSports can damage a game this much

As for the ship mechanic... i really hope we'll get SOME way to actually steer it ourselfs. The way the Vindicaar works is fine for travelling between zones but it's just way too static to satisfyingly simulate an actual ship. (Also i'd expect air ships before regular ships. I can actually see them using some kind of elaborate parachute system for the way-too-long No Flight phase.)

Maybe they could have done the Ship-moving-thing with Dalaran. That would have been interesting; it's an established feature of the city. I kinda want to keep Dalaran around, i'm really fine with the idea of having it be our permanent base of operations, even though it's a little small.

Oh, and as for a new revamp.... i WANT one because i can't stand Cataclysm... but considering how that turned out the last time i just don't see it happening (or even being desireable) unless they literally have a full second team working on it to bring out two expansions at the same time. They could do interesting stuff with scaling and phasing but other than that i don't see an expansion happening without a new continent.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggler View Post
Not that farfetched:
1. The Kul'Tiras armor with the weird tentacles on it and recent story lines immediatley let people think about ships (because islands and Kul'Tiras as a seafaring nation) and the old gods. There's also the Vindicaar-tech which COULD be used as a way to test travel by ship betwee isles
2. Considering recent events (Belfs-Nightfallen relationship, the return of Alleria) makes combined with the continued wish for sub-races makes a strong case for it finally being reality.
3. Sargars last attack on Azeroth seems to have sparked the world revamp idea in many fake leakers minds.

Not that I would mind any of these things becoming reality.
It's also that a lot of those themes are complimentary. How many powerful named villains do we have left, that aren't aligned with player factions, that are present on Azeroth? How many of those are heavily associated with the sea? Of the ones I can presently recall, that's most of them. Azshara, Zul, and N'zoth.

It also makes sense to face them, actual local Azerothian threats, before going into some cosmic spacebattles with the Void. In space.

What areas of Azeroth remain unexplored? Mostly islands like Kul'tiras and Zandalar. Maybe some tectonics could also dredge up some other landmasses, like the island where the Darkspear used to live. Jaina leaving for Kul'tiras or whatever is further evidence in that direction. If it's a seafaring themed expansion, it makes sense for there to be ships.

You don't exactly have to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce that much. Hell, I'll even go so far as to guess that Azshara will be presented as the face of the main villain faction, representing N'zoth as his herald. Zul will likely turn out to have similar connections, though maybe he'll actually be independent, but the main point is that he's in charge of a fleet.

An assortment of other villains will be made up on the spot to fill things out. That's your expansion leak from me. Just spitting out the obvious.

Last edited by Krakhed; 10-13-2017 at 03:11 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
That said I would kill for a bog standard party based warcraft RPG.
preach
Old 10-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Arch-Druid

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-Tides-of-War

MMOChamp fake leak.

Loks like we're back in the season boyz!
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion