Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Diablo Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 01:59 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Default Why D3 was not scary like D1 and D2?

I think D1 is the scariest of all 3, you feel so dark and alone in the 16 levels dungeon and the books tell chilling story. The butcher's room was, WOW.

D2 also got some very bloody/scary places. But D3 somehow miss that feeling, why?
Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Elune

Art style and direction.

D1&2 has a gritty down to earth style which makes the gore and monsters stand out more in an environment with ''realistic'' looking characters. The music also had a more tense horror leaning.

D3 was more of an action blockbuster with an art style closer to Warcraft, with matching music.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

The art direction reduced D3's impact, but the biggest problem is that D3 is one of the most insultingly easy games I have ever played. On normal difficulty, I was able to get to Act III before dying a single time.

Raising the difficulty level mostly just makes the game more time-consuming, so it doesn't help.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Art style and direction.

D1&2 has a gritty down to earth style which makes the gore and monsters stand out more in an environment with ''realistic'' looking characters. The music also had a more tense horror leaning.

D3 was more of an action blockbuster with an art style closer to Warcraft, with matching music.
Why did they choose to change the tone? I never watch horror movies but D1&D2's horrific style makes the game so fun to play.

The story was depressing as well, you see the king turned mad, the prince got possessed and dead. In D2 all 3 D1 heroes were corrupted.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:52 PM

Elune

Different teams worked on them and it happened at the time Metzen came up with stories at the bar. ''What if we made Diablo a chick?'' - interview from Behind the scenes dvd from what I remember

Reaper of Souls went back to the old style of the first two.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Different teams worked on them and it happened at the time Metzen came up with stories at the bar. ''What if we made Diablo a chick?'' - interview from Behind the scenes dvd from what I remember

But RoS was still way too easy, destroying the possibility of tension.

You know the old joke about how you can beat Sonic the Hedgehog by holding right on the controller? That's basically how Diablo 3 works.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

diablo games are 90% loot anyway.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 04-24-2017, 04:02 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I was quite surprised that the Blood Raven was the D1 rogue and the Summoner was the D1 sorcerer. Why do they have to turn all of these former heroes evil? Glad I didn't know when I was killing them.

WOW didn't have such horrifying effect when they turn someone evil, maybe because the tone was too silly and overused.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:03 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:

It wasn't just that. I remember my first time playing through Diablo and opening up the door to the Butcher's lair. When I heard that "aaah fresh meat," I recall nearly soiling myself. I was shocked. I was horrified. I was a sorcerer. I was killed within 2 chops. Diablo 3s Butcher was such a let down. I didn't mind the art redesign. I expected it. What did bother me was the set up. No grisly shop (and it would have been so easy in Leorics little hobby house). No build from the villagers talking about how he had torn apart the rest of them. And the guy was trying to beat down a door, failed, and had it opened for him.

Come to think of it, the whole having the locals talk up an enemy, that seriously could have helped a lot. Having a setting that could build the anticipation, lull you into a false sense of security, then shock you into horror. That would have been nice.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I loved D3's art style, but it's not very good for a Diablo game.

However, it's not the visuals that fail, but the presentation. D1 and D2 are dark games, because there's darkness. You don't see shit, and shadows hide monsters.

This isn't as true in D3, where there was barely any procedural terrain generation at vanilla, and where visibility wasn't impaired as often. Just take the Act 2 desert, and add sandstorms to hide the enemies, or put more shadows in the forests of Act 1. Imagine enemies, like spiders, who run around the border of the screen for a while, hiding in the shadows, to then attack when you don't expect it.

The storytelling didn't help either, it was pretty childish and pointless. It didn't give a sense of dread, and the dialogues of most NPCs felt pretty bland. It was predictable as hell too, and you could tell easily when there was a boss coming and stuff like that.

Dread isn't just visuals, it's a feeling, and D3 felt like an arcade shooter instead of an actual grimdark ARPG.

Guess catering to kids and such has part of the blame.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-28-2017, 05:34 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
It wasn't just that. I remember my first time playing through Diablo and opening up the door to the Butcher's lair. When I heard that "aaah fresh meat," I recall nearly soiling myself. I was shocked. I was horrified. I was a sorcerer. I was killed within 2 chops. Diablo 3s Butcher was such a let down. I didn't mind the art redesign. I expected it. What did bother me was the set up. No grisly shop (and it would have been so easy in Leorics little hobby house). No build from the villagers talking about how he had torn apart the rest of them. And the guy was trying to beat down a door, failed, and had it opened for him.

Come to think of it, the whole having the locals talk up an enemy, that seriously could have helped a lot. Having a setting that could build the anticipation, lull you into a false sense of security, then shock you into horror. That would have been nice.
Same! The whole D1 was just chilling, the story and every characters' ending was so depressing if you pay attention. Even the books tell twisting tales of Angels and Demons.

Was it due to Condor/Blizzard North had all left?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 AM

Arch-Druid

In some ways Diablo 3 did the right thing; if things only ever get dark and depressing (i.e. the heroes are selfish, and evil is always a step ahead) it becomes impossible to care. Having the heroes genuinely win is a nice touch and shows that mortals have come into their own
Old 05-03-2017, 12:37 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
In some ways Diablo 3 did the right thing; if things only ever get dark and depressing (i.e. the heroes are selfish, and evil is always a step ahead) it becomes impossible to care. Having the heroes genuinely win is a nice touch and shows that mortals have come into their own
Moved too far in that direction though, mortals are now a race of nascent godlings that can beat demons and angels.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-03-2017, 02:36 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
There are tons of nice and soft games if you want nice touch.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
There are tons of nice and soft games if you want nice touch.
Please don't straw man me. Diablo can have a dark flavor but there should be a light in the darkness. The heroes actually thwarting Diablo and walking away victorious is a nice change of pace from the "evil still wins you're fucked" state of affairs. Tathamet was a cool idea and if they had a few more games before the final battle in the high heavens I'd be satisfied.

WOL worked because after the downer of brood war it showed a bit of light; Raynor has faced his inner demons and become stronger, Mengsk's lost his good publicity and the zerg have been halted with billions of lives saved. Heart of the swarm worked because while things are somewhat sad there has been real gains made (humanity has a truly benevolent leader for the first time in decades, Kerrigan's balanced and chosen to actually try being a hero); Legacy of the Void worked because while there was loss the races are at peace, and the dark god who caused everything has fallen and so ensured that the races can finally grow without the shadow of war hanging over them.

There was loss but there was GAIN. The heroes actually accomplished something
Old 05-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Please don't straw man me. Diablo can have a dark flavor but there should be a light in the darkness. The heroes actually thwarting Diablo and walking away victorious is a nice change of pace from the "evil still wins you're fucked" state of affairs. Tathamet was a cool idea and if they had a few more games before the final battle in the high heavens I'd be satisfied.

WOL worked because after the downer of brood war it showed a bit of light; Raynor has faced his inner demons and become stronger, Mengsk's lost his good publicity and the zerg have been halted with billions of lives saved. Heart of the swarm worked because while things are somewhat sad there has been real gains made (humanity has a truly benevolent leader for the first time in decades, Kerrigan's balanced and chosen to actually try being a hero); Legacy of the Void worked because while there was loss the races are at peace, and the dark god who caused everything has fallen and so ensured that the races can finally grow without the shadow of war hanging over them.

There was loss but there was GAIN. The heroes actually accomplished something
In D2 there were more light than darkness in the end. D1 was a bit sad but also it makes the story very special in a twisted way. Other than it's sad to see the rogue turned to be the Blood Raven, I'm ok with it.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:02 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

The philosophy behind the company changed. The story telling used to be varied across Blizzard franchises, not it's needlessly excessive like a Michael Bay movie. The varied art style also was replaced by Blizzard's perceived need to establish a signature style, epitomized by Overwatch.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

The Butcher...

"Vegetables bad, meat good!"

I couldn't sleep at night when I heard him say that. Scared me shitless.

Tags
diablo, vidja games