Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 05-24-2017, 03:42 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Too tired to write anything before the weekend.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

World Builder

@Yask and Anansi

I'll try to get something worked up later this week but yeah I'm feeling a bit run down from a mix of work and trouble sleeping so progress will be a tad slower.

EDIT:
Lokusi Bleakhorn sketch I commissioned, came out a little more antlike than I originally pictured but it gives a decent enough start for the baseline Lokusi. Having a Devourer one made as well, maaaybe a Queen.

IMAGE IS TOO BIG
http://i.imgur.com/RXWF9Uu.jpg

EDIT2:

Just realized the past week's been so busy I didn't set up a weekly topic! Well it's a bit late but for the sake of it, I'd like to put one down.

How does your society relax? Organized sports? Gladitorial combat? Artistic performances like theater or opera? How's recreational drug use viewed? Gambling?

For the Dominion...

Ceremonial combat is popular with all members of the Dominion but especially among the orcs. Killing and serious injury are forbidden to avoid reducing combat strength. Combat with animals against the gladiators, or purely between animals takes place as well, but is usually reserved for ceremonies because trained animals are valuable, though slime-battling is incredibly popular among goblins due to the ease in replacing them and the fact that the winning slime usually absorbs the strength of the loser.

At times the gladiatorial combat is combined with reenactments of great battles honoring great champions of the past, and there are also competitions organized by villages to compete in shows of strength and skill, such as breaking large stones or footraces.

Goblins and gremlins are well known as pranksters, popularizing the Dominion's variants of hide-and-go-seek and capture-the-flag, which are seen as good practice for children looking to be hunters or aiming for life in the military. Their slimeweavers and casters are also renowned for making other forms of entertainment as training for their apprentices, with variants of fireworks being a common viewing pleasure.

Hobgoblins are seen by most as culturally rather dour and not as passionate as most other members of the dominion, but they enjoy public marksmanship contests and are also popularizing saunas throughout the dominion though these are largely branded as a health benefit. With the Lokusi slowly being driven back, reading is also becoming a popular hobgoblin leisure activity, which is slowly spreading to Ogres as well, though at the moment most consider the material in the hobgoblins phamphlets a tad dry.

Ogres enjoy organizing parades to demonstrate the Dominion military's might and keep up morale, and at the Slate have some of the only members of society that pursue artistic endeavors through stonecarving, which is slowly causing whittling and carving to become more popular among other members of the Dominion.

Bogrin in particular enjoy carving ice and wood into various shapes around their villages, though these sometimes take on local significance as markers for travel or other uses. Bogrin and orcs sometimes perform sled races as well.

Gambling is relatively unknown in the Dominion outside of goblins and gremlins, as most other members put little faith in 'chance' or 'luck'. Drug use has been a constant undercurrent in the Dominion due to the sometimes bleak nature of the constant struggle against the Lokusi, though it has declined markedly in recent years it still lingers, most prominently amongst goblins, ogres, and orcs. Brothels exist in the largest of Dominion cities, but because there is relatively little taboo against casual sex and children can be taken in by Dominion officials to be raised, there's little demand to sustain them outside of the largest population centers or as parts of larger trade caravans.

A popular kind of 'boardgame' in the Dominion is 'Swarm and Stronghold', which is played with colored stones, one player taking the role of attacking Lokusi and the other playing as the defending Dominion. But it is generally seen as a game for the elderly due to its length and requisite patience (a game can go for months with no victor), although it's also popular among hobgoblins and members of all races stuck on guard duties in remote areas.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; Yesterday at 10:21 PM..
Old Today, 11:34 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Xysticids love music, and the visual arts. They have a rich tradition of string instrumentation, naturally, as well as solo and choral singing. Their tapestries, also, are famous among the few who know they exist.

Xysticids are remarkably talented dancers, in a wide variety of original and borrowed styles.

Literacy is practically 100% on Istos, so reading and writing, and study for its own sake, are pretty popular pastimes.

There's a sizable market of xysticids who enjoy the theatrical and operatic productions of foreign races, though many of the more prudish find the innumerable lies and misunderstandings upon which their stories are founded rather shocking.

I mentioned earlier that xysticids don't drink alcohol, and generally dislike introducing poisons to their bloodstream. Recreational drugs are not prohibited simply because so few if any xysticids would actually want to use them.

Hiding and seeking games are popular among the young, whereby they practice their ability to both seek out that which would be hidden and hide themselves from those who would hunt them.

Games of strategy, including variants on the concepts of chess and go, are popular among mature xysticids.

Xysticids dislike taking risks, and don't understand why other races enjoy gambling so much. They view it as giving resources away. Xysticids try to control the outcome of their actions as completely as possible, and tend to dislike giving up that power in exchange for... what, exactly? Maybe a few more resources than they started with? Maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old Today, 04:15 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Xysticids love music, and the visual arts. They have a rich tradition of string instrumentation, naturally, as well as solo and choral singing. Their tapestries, also, are famous among the few who know they exist.

Xysticids are remarkably talented dancers, in a wide variety of original and borrowed styles.

Literacy is practically 100% on Istos, so reading and writing, and study for its own sake, are pretty popular pastimes.

There's a sizable market of xysticids who enjoy the theatrical and operatic productions of foreign races, though many of the more prudish find the innumerable lies and misunderstandings upon which their stories are founded rather shocking.

I mentioned earlier that xysticids don't drink alcohol, and generally dislike introducing poisons to their bloodstream. Recreational drugs are not prohibited simply because so few if any xysticids would actually want to use them.

Hiding and seeking games are popular among the young, whereby they practice their ability to both seek out that which would be hidden and hide themselves from those who would hunt them.

Games of strategy, including variants on the concepts of chess and go, are popular among mature xysticids.

Xysticids dislike taking risks, and don't understand why other races enjoy gambling so much. They view it as giving resources away. Xysticids try to control the outcome of their actions as completely as possible, and tend to dislike giving up that power in exchange for... what, exactly? Maybe a few more resources than they started with? Maybe?
Nice, what might they think of fireworks? Is the singing in a range most other species can hear?

Dance is a ceremonial thing in Gruthar but sometimes happens at bonfires and victory parties, there's no real organized form of dance though.

It's funny to picture a play where the minor lies are more scandalous to the Xysticid than the main plot, hehe.

Ooo, those strategy games will be popular among hobgoblins and ogres if there's a lot of cross-cultural exchange.

My Worldbuilding:
Old Today, 05:17 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Nice, what might they think of fireworks? Is the singing in a range most other species can hear?
Not usually, but their stringed music can dip into the audible spectrum. They also enjoy playing instruments designed for less sensitive ears, considering them pleasantly exotic.

Quote:
It's funny to picture a play where the minor lies are more scandalous to the Xysticid than the main plot, hehe.
They get that other races don't value the Truth as highly as they do, but that doesn't make it any less shocking when one person flat-out lies to another person who trusts them. They'd hate Othello.

Quote:
Ooo, those strategy games will be popular among hobgoblins and ogres if there's a lot of cross-cultural exchange.
There is a non-negligible subset of the Istos corps of foreign intelligence that enjoys anonymously introducing elements of their culture to the outsider cities where they're sometimes stationed.

It's not quite condoned by official policy, but as long as they don't give away any classified information, most officials tend to look the other way. There is therefore a semi-secret sorority of hunters and spies who keep tallies of all the board games, minor artworks, pieces of music, and other 'seeds of a higher culture' that they've dropped off on unsuspecting outsiders.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Today, 06:24 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Not usually, but their stringed music can dip into the audible spectrum. They also enjoy playing instruments designed for less sensitive ears, considering them pleasantly exotic.

They get that other races don't value the Truth as highly as they do, but that doesn't make it any less shocking when one person flat-out lies to another person who trusts them. They'd hate Othello.

There is a non-negligible subset of the Istos corps of foreign intelligence that enjoys anonymously introducing elements of their culture to the outsider cities where they're sometimes stationed.

It's not quite condoned by official policy, but as long as they don't give away any classified information, most officials tend to look the other way. There is therefore a semi-secret sorority of hunters and spies who keep tallies of all the board games, minor artworks, pieces of music, and other 'seeds of a higher culture' that they've dropped off on unsuspecting outsiders.
Cool, though I imagine woodwinds and brass instruments would pose a challenge.

Hah.
Grutharin have an interesting view of deception. It generally falls into the view that a loyal spy is honorable but a traitor or criminal is not. Generally, intent matters.

That's pretty neat, would be interesting for folks from different cultures to find commonalities due to Xysticid influence.

Also, a friend from skype that I talked about the project with has decreed that somewhere in the world, there is a lake, and in that lake is an old ocean-sailing ship (probably a Cog style), and in that ship, there is... A giant monster hermit crab!

I've also been mulling over what giant beasts the Grutharins use in combat without dipping into dinosaurs so there's not too much thematic overlap with Gromak's Rak'shari.

Variants of Paraceratherium, Mammoths, Rhinos, and jumbo Therapsids are nice, but weren't quite what I was looking for as more than mounts or beasts of burden... and then it hit me.

Old School Lion-faced-Spike-Shelled Tarrasques would run with the Therapsids being part mammal part reptile and could be tweaked to give the size and power needed. It'd be nice if I could find some less goofy looking art of the classic look vs the modern D&D one but c'est la vie.

I think I'll also bring in Manticore to continue running with the mix of mammal / reptile bits, especially since Wow made such a hash of them by branding them as "Wyverns".

My Worldbuilding:
Old Today, 06:44 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Hah.
Grutharin have an interesting view of deception. It generally falls into the view that a loyal spy is honorable but a traitor or criminal is not. Generally, intent matters.
Generally speaking, xysticids have no qualms about lying to outsiders, but to lie to another xysticid, or even to an outsider whom one views as a friend, would be absolutely disgusting.

Quote:
Also, a friend from skype that I talked about the project with has decreed that somewhere in the world, there is a lake, and in that lake is an old ocean-sailing ship (probably a Cog style), and in that ship, there is... A giant monster hermit crab!
I like it. A suitably Weird enigma for any who know about it to puzzle over.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Today, 08:23 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Generally speaking, xysticids have no qualms about lying to outsiders, but to lie to another xysticid, or even to an outsider whom one views as a friend, would be absolutely disgusting.

I like it. A suitably Weird enigma for any who know about it to puzzle over.
Makes sense.

Also wanted to make a note on Grutharin literacy - it's widespread but mostly aimed at reading orders, there's not a lot of other written material aside from records on scrolls, clay or stone. Hobgoblin pamphlets on mass produced paper is a relatively recent development, as are early books.

Yeah, it's nice to have a few random little bits and bobs scattered around to pique folks curiosity.

----

Also, waaay back when we first started I mentioned some creatures that were emerging from the swamps and crevices and such around the Firemaw. I've developed these into the Karcinites, to create a kind of 'quest fodder' species in addition to the main threat of the Lokusi.

They're about 5ft tall, skintones ranging from chalky white and dingy grey, to pale-puke-yellow and green, to dusty coal black and grey. They're hairless so most wear primitive armor, though some are born with chitinous plates on their bodies, these ones stand about 7ft tall on average, and have a second pair of arms. They have no eyes and their heads have no real neck. The ones that demonstrate spellcasting ability usually have glowing, brain-like throbbing lobes in their heads, visibly bulging out of their skin. Their blood is thick and pus-like.

They live underground and are found all over the world, occasionally making forays up to surface settlements to raid them, carting away food, prisoners, and supplies on primitive sleds pulled by enormous hairless mole-rats. Karcinites also have a habit of wading into battle with their skin covered in large leech and lamprey creatures, which they tear off and hurl at enemies. Others numerous enormous flatworm-like creatures nesting in their bodies, so when they are cut their foes are attacked by the hideous parasites.

Their dens are usually broad circular sets of caves and tunnels, with large stones in the center of each room that radiate sickly yellow-green glows. The fact that they reappear even after their dens are cleared out by local forces leads many to believe their tunnels connect even between continents somehow.

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; Today at 08:25 PM..

Tags
collaboration, creative, worldbuilding